Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2020-10-09

(2020-10-08, 21:28)Kischen Wrote: It seems o fixed my problem. On my TV I had a setting for hdmi. Not sure what it actually does. It said to test the other mode if equipment isn't working as it should.

And now it just works. Weird.

The normal HDR-related setting on TVs is a 4:2:2 'Enhanced' HDMI mode vs a 4:2:0 HDMI mode.  (You can't use 4:4:4/RGB at 2160p50/60 on HDMI 2.0 - it's either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 only. 4:2:2 takes a higher bandwidth connection - but avoids vertical subsampling - which may be slightly visible on games or UIs. 4:2:0 is fine for video as that is the format used for UHD BD encoding, Netflix/Prime etc.)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - foxbat121 - 2020-10-09

So, nobody mentioned the biggest problem with latest Android 9 update for original MiBox 3: they broke the MPEG2 decoding completely and hence no longer suitable for live TV watching using HDHomeRun app? Same exact path as Mi Box S Android 9 update.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2020-10-10

(2020-10-09, 20:06)foxbat121 Wrote: So, nobody mentioned the biggest problem with latest Android 9 update for original MiBox 3: they broke the MPEG2 decoding completely and hence no longer suitable for live TV watching using HDHomeRun app? Same exact path as Mi Box S Android 9 update.

Im getting the best full motion deinterlacing Ive ever seen now with Pie Firmware for both h.264 and mpeg2 TV.

Use the Kodi PVR Addons. The HDHomerun App is utter crap.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - foxbat121 - 2020-10-10

When DRM is on the line, you have no choice. You have to use HDHR app with hardware decoding.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2020-10-10

(2020-10-10, 02:07)foxbat121 Wrote: When DRM is on the line, you have no choice. You have to use HDHR app with hardware decoding.

Yep - you'll almost certainly find HD HomeRun users here split into two camps :

1. US users who are using ATSC Cable tuners with CableCards - which decrypt the encrypted ATSC Cable broadcasts - but also have to enforce DRM as a result for some (all?) broadcasts.  (The HD HomeRun is one of the only PC viewing solution that DOES allow viewing of Pay Cable other than using a set-top box and HDMI or Component capture and re-encoding)

2. US and European/Aus/NZ users who are using ATSC OTA and DVB-T/T2 (and in some cases DVB-C) models which are used to decode FTA unencrypted broadcasts and have no DRM requirements. (I don't think SiliconDust currently make a DVB-C/T/T2 solution with a CI slot to take a CAM - the DVB CableCard equivalent for Pay OTA and Pay Cable - though that might also require some DRM to be applied if they do)

Users from category 1. have far fewer options for viewing the output of their HDHR content than those in category 2. because of the DRM requirement.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Kischen - 2020-10-12

(2020-10-09, 16:40)noggin Wrote:
(2020-10-08, 21:28)Kischen Wrote: It seems o fixed my problem. On my TV I had a setting for hdmi. Not sure what it actually does. It said to test the other mode if equipment isn't working as it should.

And now it just works. Weird.

The normal HDR-related setting on TVs is a 4:2:2 'Enhanced' HDMI mode vs a 4:2:0 HDMI mode.  (You can't use 4:4:4/RGB at 2160p50/60 on HDMI 2.0 - it's either 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 only. 4:2:2 takes a higher bandwidth connection - but avoids vertical subsampling - which may be slightly visible on games or UIs. 4:2:0 is fine for video as that is the format used for UHD BD encoding, Netflix/Prime etc.)

Yeah, if i choose rgb i dont have any problems. Seems like im going to buy new hdmi cables after all.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - allantcw - 2020-10-15

(2020-09-30, 09:02)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-09-30, 08:58)radekd2 Wrote: Hi,
Does DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital True HD sound remain after upgrading to Android TV 9.0?

You will lose HD passthru audio support if you upgrade Firmware to Android TV v9.0
It’s the same limitation now for all AMLogic chipset devices running Android TV v8.1 or greater.
I expect the exact same limitation applies to the new Google TV dongle as well.

See this post:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083&pid=2971833#pid2971833

After upgraded to Android TV 9.0 from 8.1, 7.1 Surround Sound no longer working. Only support up to 5.1. Anyone knows the fix or workaround to support 7.1?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - fede01_8 - 2020-10-16

I just got the update notification. So, is it worth updating? I don't use lossless audio. Just good old AC3 and DTS.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Geeeronimo - 2020-10-16

I don't recommend updating. The remote (both IR and BT) becomes buggy.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - cf7777 - 2020-10-17

To fix Non responsive remote to wakup Mi box 3 with Pie 9 OS
Goto
▶▶▶Settings
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶Apps
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶Special Permissions
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▷▷▷▷▷▷▷▷▷▷Energy Optimization

find following Apps and Uncheck

TV Remote Service
Bluetooth

Works Every nite now. Press Home button will wake up. press home once then wait few seconds,. and press home button again.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - yigi - 2020-10-19

I have Mi Box 3 (MDZ-16-AB) which worked just fine until I accepted the Pie upgrade a few days ago.
The problem is that I see the Mi Box UI on the tv for half a second and than it disappears for few seconds. Sometimes if I let it be for a few minutes it will become stable but will happen again if power off and on again.
I tried factory reset, setting the screen resolution to auto, 720p, 1080p, 2160p and different 30,50,60 refresh rates, all end up with same behavior.
The Mi Box is connected  to LG SK10Y soundbar which is connected to ARC port (also tries other hdmi ports) of LG OLEDC6 tv.
The weird thing is that when the Mi Box is connected directly to TV it is working fine.
I tried replcaing hdmi cable same results.
The only thing changed was the upgrade of the Mi Box to pie. No new firmware for tv or soundbar.
Please anyone has a clue what can it be??

Thanks

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - qrko - 2020-10-19

I am using Mi Box 4k with Android 8 along with my JBL 9.1. When I use MiBox's Netflix, maximum what I can get from movie is 5.1. When I run Netflix directly on TV then same movies show Dolby Atmos - so mi box is cutting that, it is obvious.
However when on same mibox I run Kodi with audio passthrough enabled then soundbar instantly shows dolby "dolby atmos true hd" on movies which has it. Will I loose that ability when I upgrade to Android 9?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2020-10-19

(2020-10-19, 12:24)qrko Wrote: However when on same mibox I run Kodi with audio passthrough enabled then soundbar instantly shows dolby "dolby atmos true hd" on movies which has it.
Will I loose that ability when I upgrade to Android 9?

Hi.

Yes you will. If you still want Kodi HD audio passthru on the original 2016 Mi Box then stay on Oreo v8.0

See here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083&pid=2971199#pid2971199

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Geeeronimo - 2020-10-21

(2020-10-17, 20:21)cf7777 Wrote: To fix Non responsive remote to wakup Mi box 3 with Pie 9 OS
Goto
▶▶▶Settings
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶Apps
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶Special Permissions
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▷▷▷▷▷▷▷▷▷▷Energy Optimization

find following Apps and Uncheck

TV Remote Service
Bluetooth

Works Every nite now. Press Home button will wake up. press home once then wait few seconds,. and press home button again.

Thanks but it doesn't work for me. I already noticed that when the box doesn't wake up with the BT remote, a second press on the button often solves the problem. But this behavior doesn't seem to be related to the settings you mention.

Anyway my problem is with the IR remote (Logitech Harmony). In that case multiple press does not wake up the box, whatever the settings.

I also have other bugs with this ATV9 update. For example after a first use of Kodi (video playing), put the box into sleep mode, then after a few minutes/hours wake up (with the BT remote), the home screen and apps look OK but neither Kodi nor any streaming application works, the only solution is to reboot the box. I don't observe this problem if I don't use Kodi at all. Also if I leave the box in sleep mode for at least one day, then usually it's OK.

In short, the box is a mess with this update.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - weejaya - 2020-10-23

(2020-10-19, 12:41)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-10-19, 12:24)qrko Wrote: However when on same mibox I run Kodi with audio passthrough enabled then soundbar instantly shows dolby "dolby atmos true hd" on movies which has it.
Will I loose that ability when I upgrade to Android 9?

Hi.

Yes you will. If you still want Kodi HD audio passthru on the original 2016 Mi Box then stay on Oreo v8.0

See here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083&pid=2971199#pid2971199

Hi, is it possible to downgrade back to Oreo?