Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2016-12-17

SPMC (Kodi) is more optimised for use with devices running the proper Android TV OS such as the Shield and Mi Box.

You get features like Google Voice search of your scraped SPMC(Kodi) media library that you do not get with regular Kodi.
There are also more hardware/software decoding options in SPMC and other added features. Smile

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - feathers - 2016-12-19

@wrxtasy with regards to the magic 60hz smooth 24p phenomenon that has been observed using this box, are you able to confirm you have tested this on multiple TVs to rule out the tv doing some reverse 3:2 pull down trickery ? I'm very intrigued as to how it is physically achieving this. Do you have any way to capture the 60hz output to examine it ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - seymourtv - 2016-12-19

Darn... Ive put my MiBox3 into boot loop. Where is the reset hole to get to recovery? No clue here

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2016-12-19

I believe if you Hold down the Middle and Back buttons on the remote when plugging in the power. You will get into the recovery screen where you can Factory Reset.

(2016-12-19, 01:03)feathers Wrote: @wrxtasy with regards to the magic 60hz smooth 24p phenomenon that has been observed using this box, are you able to confirm you have tested this on multiple TVs to rule out the tv doing some reverse 3:2 pull down trickery ? I'm very intrigued as to how it is physically achieving this. Do you have any way to capture the 60hz output to examine it ?
There were previous posts somewhere (maybe nVIDIA Shield thread) that outlined code Patents that I believe companies like Apple, Google and more are now using for Motion Interpolation to virtually eliminate 3:2 pulldown judder.
I've now observed very good, smooth playback results across multiple devices. An old Firmware updated v1 Chromecast is now very good. Test Android Marshmallow Firmware on the Hub with 23.976fps video, output at 60Hz playback is nice and smooth, especially for Netflix. The Mi Box produces similar results..

I've also done some further reading about my HiSense 4K TV, and it appears it has very good Motion Compensation and Interpolation baked into into its Firmware without producing over the top soap opera effects. I have not tested on Multiple TV's. Not sure if the TV is also helping as well.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - seymourtv - 2016-12-19

(2016-12-19, 04:30)wrxtasy Wrote: I believe if you Hold down the Middle and Back buttons on the remote when plugging in the power. You will get into the recovery screen where you can Factory Reset.

Yes, that's correct. Hold Back and DPad Center buttons when plugging in power. Thanks

+1

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2016-12-19

@wrxtasy, how do you use the voice commands w/SPMC? When I just say "Play __________" (movie name), I get Google/YouTube search results only.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - coppermine - 2016-12-19

From the Kodi Krypton Beta 7 changelog: Wrote:* Enable IEC61937 audio passthrough support on Android for DTS-HD, TrueHD, DTS:X and ATMOS in case the Android version supports this.

Is this the chip in the Mi box? Does this mean we finally have passtrough?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Romulus103 - 2016-12-19

@wrxtasy Can you please elaborate on what exactly you have done on the Mi Box to get smooth 24p playback on 60hz output. I am observing the same stuttering and it is driving me nuts.
So much so that I kind of regret buying this box. A fix would be great.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noisemake - 2016-12-19

Just tested latest beta...with beta7 in Xiaomi Mi box don't work anymore passthrough for DTS standard , and no HD audio passthrough at all.

With stable release (Jarvis 16) DTS-HD audio is converted in DTS standard. Sad

This SoC (S905X) is capable HD audio bitstreaming, at least w/LibreELEC... so, it's something Xiaomi can likely enable in their Android OS firmware. Thing with Xiaomi is we seem to have no clue what type of support they intend for Mi Box. There's no official forum and really no communication so far about improving Mi Box.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2016-12-19

(2016-12-19, 16:51)hdmkv Wrote: This SoC (S905X) is capable HD audio bitstreaming, at least w/LibreELEC... so, it's something Xiaomi can likely enable in their Android OS firmware. Thing with Xiaomi is we seem to have no clue what type of support they intend for Mi Box. There's no official forum and really no communication so far about improving Mi Box.

amlogic gave out broken FW on which xiaomi based theirs. You will just have to wait till you get a FW update

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Idokfire - 2016-12-19

(2016-12-19, 14:14)hdmkv Wrote: @wrxtasy, how do you use the voice commands w/SPMC? When I just say "Play __________" (movie name), I get Google/YouTube search results only.
As far as I know, voice command only works when using search in SPMC. But possibly on other keyboard items. I have not tried them.

Sent from my MotoG3

Yep, looks like when you choose search and bring up the virtual keyboard, holding down the microphone button on the Mi Box or Shield lets you say it instead of typing it. Better than having to key or type in, but not a true voice search movie finder to easily start playback.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2016-12-19

Pressing the voice search button *anywhere else than on the SPMC virtual keyboard* will bring the Android TV voice-activated search, and SPMC result will be included (assuming you activated the SPMC web server, as it is queried via json-rpc)

(2016-12-19, 19:05)Koying Wrote: Pressing the voice search button *anywhere else than on the SPMC virtual keyboard* will bring the Android TV voice-activated search, and SPMC result will be included (assuming you activated the SPMC web server, as it is queried via json-rpc)
Working, thanks ... didn't realize SPMC search results are at the bottom (have to scroll down). But, works great to find matching movies and TV shows.