Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ByteShare - 2017-01-02

(2016-10-23, 11:50)Koying Wrote: I did some initial testing with the box that @hdmkv was kind enough to send me.
The current problem is that the shipped firmware is "middle of the bridge". amlcodec and aml hacks are not usable, as selinux security is enabled and enforced, but amlogic is still busy (with our help) to get their 6.0 firmware compliant with android standards...

So lot of potential, but all depending on how xiaomi and amlogic work together. I'm confident in that, though, as xiaomi asked for our aml contacts, but a bit flabbergasted those contacts did not happen sooner...

Do you know if there has been any movement on this?
Also, it is a little confusing to me because 8bit HEVC with hardware works, just having issues with 10bit (non-HDR) HEVC in hardware mode.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - HeelofSteel - 2017-01-02

I tried the movie player mentioned above and it still did not play the 10bit files. My files would play briefly then they would freeze. I just hope at some point this will be resolved. Otherwise I think this box is great and works for my needs as a bedroom pc.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2017-01-02

(2017-01-02, 21:46)HeelofSteel Wrote: I tried the movie player mentioned above and it still did not play the 10bit files. My files would play briefly then they would freeze. I just hope at some point this will be resolved. Otherwise I think this box is great and works for my needs as a bedroom pc.
Were your 10-bit files HEVC or Hi10p. If it is the latter, then there is no hardware decoding for that and most SoCs will choke on it.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ByteShare - 2017-01-02

(2017-01-02, 08:25)ByteShare Wrote:
(2016-10-30, 20:07)wesk05 Wrote: I have done some more testing with HEVC main10 video playback and my findings are the same as those of @wrxtasy. 1080p main10 HEVC videos do not play properly in Kodi 17 beta or SPMC. What is interesting is, the same videos play fine with the "Movie Player" that is available on most Amlogic SoC boxes. They also play fine on MX Player. I don't know what the deal is with Kodi/SPMC.

Movie Player APK

The movie player link isn't working correctly (Resource unavailable).
Would you please post a new link?

Nevermind, working for me now.

(2017-01-02, 21:46)HeelofSteel Wrote: I tried the movie player mentioned above and it still did not play the 10bit files. My files would play briefly then they would freeze. I just hope at some point this will be resolved. Otherwise I think this box is great and works for my needs as a bedroom pc.

I'm going to test the movie player myself tonight, but the main issue is that the security patch level on the Mi Box is blocking/disables the hardware support for 10bit HEVC (just that one, don't know why).

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - HeelofSteel - 2017-01-03

(2017-01-02, 22:56)wesk05 Wrote:
Were your 10-bit files HEVC or Hi10p. If it is the latter, then there is no hardware decoding for that and most SoCs will choke on it.

The files I tried were labeled 10bit HEVC. I checked the codec in VLC and is just said HEVC 10-bit. Obviously the file worked on my full windows HTPC with no issues.

I hope that answers your question.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ByteShare - 2017-01-03

(2017-01-03, 00:03)HeelofSteel Wrote:
(2017-01-02, 22:56)wesk05 Wrote:

The files I tried were labeled 10bit HEVC. I checked the codec in VLC and is just said HEVC 10-bit. Obviously the file worked on my full windows HTPC with no issues.

Can confirm, I can play 10bit with Movie Player. One major draw back is I can't do any network streaming with the Movie Player.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the code from this into Kodi/SMPC or anything that is a good robust player?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - cscott1 - 2017-01-03

Hi guys I was wondering if there is a way to change the SPMC icon that shows up on the home screen of the Android TV OS on my Xiaomi Mi Box to the Kodi icon without changing from the default fallback launcher to another launcher? I use SPMC instead of Kodi because it supports the voice search functionality where Kodi does not. I prefer the Kodi icon to the SPMC icon I know its trivial but want to change it to what I and my family are used to plus it looks nicer. I tried copying the files within SPMC with ES File explorer and pasting and replacing the files within Kodi it did copy my build exactly by doing that but the voice search still does not function. I am tech minded enough to put together a pretty complex build I can change advancedsettingsxmls and some other tweaks but dont know python or any advanced programming. Anyone know how I can accomplish this? or know if Krypton supports the voice function for the Mi box?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - HeelofSteel - 2017-01-04

(2017-01-03, 03:15)ByteShare Wrote:
(2017-01-03, 00:03)HeelofSteel Wrote:
(2017-01-02, 22:56)wesk05 Wrote: Were your 10-bit files HEVC or Hi10p. If it is the latter, then there is no hardware decoding for that and most SoCs will choke on it.

Can confirm, I can play 10bit with Movie Player. One major draw back is I can't do any network streaming with the Movie Player.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the code from this into Kodi/SMPC or anything that is a good robust player?

Strange. I don't know why mine was having issues playing the file. We have the same copy of the player so I am not sure why yours works and mine doesn't.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - noonzascript - 2017-01-04

Hey all,

Does anyone use Live TV with Kodi on the Mi Box? Whenever I am in the EPG and press back, it returns to the home menu.

Edit: Played around with the keyboard editor again and it solved my problem.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - dado1971 - 2017-01-04

so i just got this box as a present. is it worth keeping? i only have 1080p tv.

currently i am using rpi3 with libreelec and raspbian on separate sd cards

which kodi should i put on the mibox? i know it cant switch frequencies, but is the hardware capable of doing it in future upgrades?

i kind of like the idea to have multi use kodi box. this way i dont have to use chromecast or ps4 for other apps

also, where is the NBA app in google play store??

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - vxsys - 2017-01-04

still shuttering on xiaomi mi box on youtube, kodi or any app.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - pfister.fred - 2017-01-04

I am unable to play videos except those from play store or Netflix.
If I use the TED app or other app like France 24 News ... it only shows an error message on the movie without more info. Any take on this ?

Sent from my MotoG3

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ByteShare - 2017-01-04

(2017-01-04, 02:58)HeelofSteel Wrote:
(2017-01-03, 03:15)ByteShare Wrote:
(2017-01-03, 00:03)HeelofSteel Wrote: The files I tried were labeled 10bit HEVC. I checked the codec in VLC and is just said HEVC 10-bit. Obviously the file worked on my full windows HTPC with no issues.

Strange. I don't know why mine was having issues playing the file. We have the same copy of the player so I am not sure why yours works and mine doesn't.

Are you on the latest firmware?
What I find strange is a box that is also AMLogic lets me use the AMLogic Codecs in the same version of Kodi and SMPC but not on the Mi Box even though Kodi & SMPC both see the hardware as AMLogic. Version of Android maybe?

(2017-01-04, 15:51)vxsys Wrote: still shuttering on xiaomi mi box on youtube, kodi or any app.

(2017-01-04, 18:47)pfister.fred Wrote: I am unable to play videos except those from play store or Netflix.
If I use the TED app or other app like France 24 News ... it only shows an error message on the movie without more info. Any take on this ?

Try a factory reset and update firmware, but you might actually have a defect in your unit because I don't have any issues with any video in Kodi (except 10bit HEVC) or YouTube.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - pfister.fred - 2017-01-04

Actually I am not even using Kodi if I try with the Editor's app. It only tells me the ' Can't play this video' message as an overlay over where the video should be. Really weird. Will try the factory reset. Thanks

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ByteShare - 2017-01-05

(2017-01-04, 20:45)pfister.fred Wrote: Actually I am not even using Kodi if I try with the Editor's app. It only tells me the ' Can't play this video' message as an overlay over where the video should be. Really weird. Will try the factory reset. Thanks

Best of luck.
I was reading here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229310
You might look at your settings for refresh rate switching.

I've been trying to setup the Movie Player as an external player for Kodi for the videos that won't play right, but having no luck. I think it is an issue with the Movie Player app.
I posted about it here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=303146