Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - thesuffering - 2017-01-31

(2017-01-31, 03:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 21:47)thesuffering Wrote: Here is the problem: AVR is not HDCP 2.2 comptabile. Its HDMI 1.4.

Buying a new AVR is out of the question for now.

Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4

That will get to the AVR i suppose, but the AVR passthrough is 4k@30hz. Wouldnt the chain need to stay hdmi 2 (hdcp 2.2) to get 4k@60hz to the tv?

edit: could i do this to maintain 2.2 to the TV for full video compatibility?
Mi Box > . HDMI Splitter In
HDMI Splitter Out 1 > TV
HDMI Splitter Out 2> Blackbird Converter > AVR

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-01-31

HDMI 2.0 has the necessary bandwidth to carry 2160p@50/60Hz. You won't get 4K@60Hz passing through the HDMI 1.4 AVR connector.

2160p(4K) HDCP 2.2 Netflix will usually stream at 23.976fps anyway, so HDMI 1.4 AVR with a max supported bandwidth output of 2160p@30Hz would be fine with the Blackbird.

2160p@50/59.94Hz content usually comes from HLG Satellite TV broadcasts. Are you going to be viewing such content anytime soon on the Mi Box ?

Splitters and the like would be experimental on the Mi Box. Who knows what would work or not.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - thesuffering - 2017-01-31

(2017-01-31, 05:15)wrxtasy Wrote: HDMI 2.0 has the necessary bandwidth to carry 2160p@50/60Hz. You won't get 4K@60Hz passing through the HDMI 1.4 AVR connector.

2160p(4K) HDCP 2.2 Netflix will usually stream at 23.976fps anyway, so HDMI 1.4 AVR with a max supported bandwidth output of 2160p@30Hz would be fine with the Blackbird.

2160p@50/59.94Hz content usually comes from HLG Satellite TV broadcasts. Are you going to be viewing such content anytime soon on the Mi Box ?

No, just Netflix, Amazon and Kodi content. So, for those HDMI 1.4/4K@30hz will be fine?

Just had a look through the 4K test clips I use for LibreELEC on the ODROID C2.

All the 4K@50/59.94fps test clips are from Astra or Satellite 4K HLG TV test broadcasts. So HDMI 1.4 is perfectly fine if you are not watching these sort of test clips.

I don't think you are going to be viewing HLG 4K TV test broadcast anytime soon, using the Mi Box as a normal Kodi media player.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - ozeiboy - 2017-01-31

Hi,
Just got Internet connected AGAIN, no NBN still, Damn. Can you voice search for Netflix content on this box using the remote mic? Either be in Netflix app or on the home screen. Also as soon as I press the remote power button, the MiBOX disappears from my WiFi network, so how you are supposed to cast to it from a google cast device ? Is there a setting to change it to stay in standby instead of completely go off the network, If yes, then where are those settings ? I could not find any settings to change the shutdown/sleep/standby behavior anywhere in the settings.
Thanks and Regards,

Funny you should ask, I just tried it after the recent Firmware update....

Voice search inside the Netflix App = No

Voice search from the Android Home screen = Yes. It produces an Apps search list that includes Netflix, select that and you start playing Netflix Voice searched content straight away.

Hi,
Great, Thanks. Where are the settings to change the app voice search? I tried under the App/Permissions and there are other apps but no Netflix.

Also where are the settings to have the MiBOX stay in standby mode, please.

Thanks.

The settings for HDMI-CEC and Standby have disappeared unfortunately with recent Firmware updates. There is nothing that can be changed.

And if it was not already obvious > Android Settings > Search > Searchable Apps

(2017-01-30, 23:32)el-buds77 Wrote: I just bought a 4k TV and i was thinking of getting an box mainly for Kodi, Netflix and IPTV (paid subscription). Is this box adequate for my needs or would another box be more suitable for my needs? I am especially concerned about the IPTV part as I don't want any stuttering/buffering if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
Maybe, I'm unable to comment on individual IPTV subscriptions, but I do know people have been using the Cumulus TV App in Combination with the built in Android TV - Live Channels. Otherwise use Kodi.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.felkertech.n.cumulustv&hl=en

I don't think IPTV streams any interlaced content. BUT if it is interlaced you are going to have problems with HD streams with Kodi on the Mi Box. Normally Interlaced HD content is from OTA Broadcast TV.

Netflix in 4K should work so long as you also have a HDMI connected HDCP 2.2 4K TV / AVR.
Make sure you have a decent Dual Band - N WiFi as a minimum for 4K Netflix or you need to buy a $9 ASIX AX Chipset - USB > Ethernet adapter.

Kodi is mostly fine. Kodi dynamic refresh switching does not work. You have to change the Refresh Rate manually in Android settings at the moment for ultra smooth video playback of 23.976fps (movies content). Your TV may smooth out video playback anyway.

Hi,
So the best solution is to leave the MiBOX ON 24/7 for it to be able to cast like chromecast. Or may be somehow downgrade to the original version FW when you could change all those settings, I mean the new updated fw have not really brought anything awesome on the table, or is there ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - el-buds77 - 2017-01-31

(2017-01-31, 09:00)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 23:32)el-buds77 Wrote: I just bought a 4k TV and i was thinking of getting an box mainly for Kodi, Netflix and IPTV (paid subscription). Is this box adequate for my needs or would another box be more suitable for my needs? I am especially concerned about the IPTV part as I don't want any stuttering/buffering if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
Maybe, I'm unable to comment on individual IPTV subscriptions, but I do know people have been using the Cumulus TV App in Combination with the built in Android TV - Live Channels. Otherwise use Kodi.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.felkertech.n.cumulustv&hl=en

I don't think IPTV streams any interlaced content. BUT if it is interlaced you are going to have problems with HD streams with Kodi on the Mi Box. Normally Interlaced HD content is from OTA Broadcast TV.

Netflix in 4K should work so long as you also have a HDMI connected HDCP 2.2 4K TV / AVR.
Make sure you have a decent Dual Band - N WiFi as a minimum for 4K Netflix or you need to buy a $9 ASIX AX Chipset - USB > Ethernet adapter.

Kodi is mostly fine. Kodi dynamic refresh switching does not work. You have to change the Refresh Rate manually in Android settings at the moment for ultra smooth video playback of 23.976fps (movies content). Your TV may smooth out video playback anyway.

thanks for your help

Hi el-buds77,

Any sources you got for live channels, please. If you have no issues sharing that would be great

Thanks.

(2017-01-31, 09:50)ozeiboy Wrote: I mean the new updated fw have not really brought anything awesome on the table, or is there ?
New Mi Box Firmware released 13 Jan. brought with it Google IEC HD Audio passthrough. Backported from Android Nougat code.
This IEC standard is needed for Kodi Krypton Audio passthrough.

It also fixed the green screens for broken 10bit 720/10802160p HEVC playback, and Android itself seemed to get a mini speed boost.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2017-01-31

The key thing remaining is auto refresh rate switching right? After that, Mi Box would be a nice budget dedicated home theater box.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - PeterMac - 2017-01-31

Exactly if MiBox can autoswitch to 24Hz/24p I will buy it for sure.