Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-02-20

I would not recommend connecting any DAC's and USB Audio equiptment to any AMLogic device at all and expecting them to work.

The Android Linux Kernel (v3.14) is simply too old to support these sort of Peripherals, particularly if they are fairly recent devices. It will be complete luck if USB DAC's work.
That is the reality of it.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - boood - 2017-02-20

(2017-02-20, 15:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I would not recommend connecting any DAC's and USB Audio equiptment to any AMLogic device at all and expecting them to work.

The Android Linux Kernel (v3.14) is simply too old to support these sort of Peripherals, particularly if they are fairly recent devices. It will be complete luck if USB DAC's work.

IS chance for newer kernel?
You can Android 7?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - pavel_pl - 2017-02-20

Could someone who owns Mi Box 4K confirm (or not) that it supports 24p? I've searched this thread and found that it does NOT support refresh rate switching - it was in december so it's possible that something has changed.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - boood - 2017-02-20

Only manual selection of 1080p 24Hz

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-02-20

(2017-02-20, 16:48)boood Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 15:46)wrxtasy Wrote: I would not recommend connecting any DAC's and USB Audio equiptment to any AMLogic device at all and expecting them to work.

IS chance for newer kernel?
You can Android 7?
Android Nougat will not help. A modern Linux Kernel likely will.

Maybe sometime this year after the BayLibre guys that AMLogic have employed have finished getting S9xx devices support into the Linux Mainline Kernel:
http://baylibre.com/category/linux-kernel/

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - c.grex - 2017-02-20

(2017-02-20, 13:59)woronczak Wrote: @c.grex

I have a Pioneer VSX S300 (entry level amp - DTS-HD / TrueHD but only 5.1). Kodi 17.0 from play store has never had an issue with DTS-HD or True HD passthrough for me (as you have said, you cannot change the passthrough device, you can only set to on or off). Those samples work fine for me (haven't found anything that doesn't play). Maybe try another HDMI cable? Definitely have the latest update to the MiBox installed (I think it is 750)? Maybe try uninstall / reinstall kodi? Factory reset as last resort

SPMC 16.5.5 doesn't work, but 16.5.80+ works as per Kodi 17 (set to IEC passthrough in SPMC)

@ingbrzy Not sure why it would change to PCM - you mean if you set it to HDMI, it somehow changes to PCM and won't let you change back to HDMI passthrough? Maybe again, try another cable

Thanks for the reply. At least I know someone has had it working.
I'll try a fresh install of Kodi tomorrow. My original one was from the App Store already.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-02-21

I would check Android Audio settings again and made sure HDMI only Audio is selected AND it is not in the Auto Detection section at the top.

Other causes - the AVR is not turned on before the Mi Box, so the Mi Box not HDMI Handshaking properly on startup to get supported HDMI Audio modes.

All this is headless chicken stuff, running around and getting nowhere - when really you need to look in the:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Soli - 2017-02-21

Usb Audio has been supported since the dawn of time on Linux kernel, even UAC 2.0 devices.

But on Android, general USB audio isn't supported before 5.0, and it's still limited to UAC 1.0. So it's limited to whatever usespace supports. (Well, of course it's necessity that the Kernel was built with USB audio support too) Some manufacturers have hacked back extended USB support, other manufacturers don't even support USB audio for post 5.0 Android OS. Some media player apps include drivers to utilize USB audio independently of the OS. Etc etc.

But the version 3.14 of the kernel is recent enough to support nearly everything regarding USB audio.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - boood - 2017-02-21

(2017-02-21, 05:24)Soli Wrote:

Usb Audio has been supported since the dawn of time on Linux kernel, even UAC 2.0 devices.

But on Android, general USB audio isn't supported before 5.0, and it's still limited to UAC 1.0. So it's limited to whatever usespace supports. (Well, of course it's necessity that the Kernel was built with USB audio support too) Some manufacturers have hacked back extended USB support, other manufacturers don't even support USB audio for post 5.0 Android OS. Some media player apps include drivers to utilize USB audio independently of the OS. Etc etc.

But the version 3.14 of the kernel is recent enough to support nearly everything regarding USB audio.

As I thought. Some applications for smartphones with Android on your phone to make music playback support USB Audio.
Maybe there is a chance that Kodi will be in the future support the USB Audio Stereo Or 5.1,7.1?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - c.grex - 2017-02-22

(2017-02-21, 04:21)wrxtasy Wrote: I would check Android Audio settings again and made sure HDMI only Audio is selected AND it is not in the Auto Detection section at the top.

Other causes - the AVR is not turned on before the Mi Box, so the Mi Box not HDMI Handshaking properly on startup to get supported HDMI Audio modes.

All this is headless chicken stuff, running around and getting nowhere - when really you need to look in the:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

Gone through everything this morning, full factory reset, swapped HDMI, check every setting again. I can get everything to passthrough DTS, and Dolby wise, just not the HD audio stuff.

I can only presume there is a hard fault with my box.

I'm going to upgrade my AV receiver at some point in the future, so will test again when I've done that. The main reason I suspect the Mi Box is because I have now had a borrowed Nvidia Shield box working fine with all of my HD audio files and my AV receiver. I just can't afford a new AV receiver and a Shield at the moment!

Thanks for the help.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Franktoni - 2017-02-22

No news on updated LAN vs Wifi speeds post firmware updates? I'm weary of buying this box if LAN sucks as I find wifi is not dependable for live tv...

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - timstephens24 - 2017-02-22

There's no change from when I ran the tests. They can't just magically make USB 2.0 better, it's already working perfectly fine as a USB 2.0 port. Those are just the limitations you get with a cheaper box using USB 2 instead of 3. It more than makes up for that, though, because everything still works great.

Instead of plugging the Ethernet cord into the Mi Box plug it into a 802.11AC access point in the same room as the Mi Box. I don't have any problems with Live TV running on 802.11AC using a HDHomeRun Prime and Connect with the HDHomeRun app or with Live Channels. I also don't have a problem watching my Blu-Ray rips, which have a much higher bandwidth requirement.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-02-23

Heads up for anyone that may be interested...

20% off sale of International Spec Mi Boxes, same as in this thread. Works out to be $66.60 USD delivered apparently.

@ Banggood.com

No idea how reliable this online website is so proceed with caution.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - d'Wooluf - 2017-02-23

(2017-02-23, 08:13)wrxtasy Wrote: Heads up for anyone that may be interested...

20% off sale of International Spec Mi Boxes, same as in this thread. Works out to be $66.60 USD delivered apparently.

@ Banggood.com

No idea how reliable this online website is so proceed with caution.

With coupon code. http://www.banggood.com/collection-2897.html?bid=30649&rmmds=detail-middle-details

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - alextav - 2017-02-23

@wrxtasy

Great, thanks for the heads up I've been meaning to buy another mibox for the bedroom. And from my experience banggood is pretty reliable