Kodi Community Forum
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=275083)

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - toniolol - 2017-03-30

(2017-03-30, 17:38)insync44 Wrote: I installed a 32GB USB 3.0 which I formatted as a internal HD. Big mistake. Kodi took over 5 mins to open and it appeared to mess up my mouse. I don't know if its the USB 3.0 that is to blame since its a USB 2.0 box.
Hi,
strange issue.
I use an 500GB USB 3.0 as internal memory and it works like a charm with Kodi ans all others apps.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-03-30

(2017-03-30, 17:38)insync44 Wrote: With only 8GB of internal storage, in today's age its really not enough. I am using a a non-powered USB hub to which I have attached a 3TB portable HD and watch videos through SPMC. I also use a mouse, which I find faster in Kodi, Chrome and even moving between Apps instead of the click, click and I never know on which App its positioned.
I really find it very strange when someone buys a device designed primarily as a easy to use, cheap media streamer and then tries to turn it into a PC and do tasks like web browsing on a TV with Chrome and complain about limited internal storage and speed.

These cheap Android TV OS media players are not intended to be used for that task - its exactly why they don't come with any sort of mouse in the very first place.
Its also why touchscreen Tablets and Phones running the Android touchscreen OS are far easier to use for such web browsing tasks.

The primary problem is users are trying to do everything on the one device. Demanding Kodi usage, Power Hungry Gaming, 4K Streaming, PVR's, OTA TV & deinterlacing, 3D, Flash & Web Browsing, Hi-def Music, Rocket Science, Lunar Orbit Injection....

And that is bound to fail - you end up with too many compromises and then we get to sit here and read about user woes - and you really have to question why they bought such a device in the very first place and if any pre-purchase research was even done. Huh

As an example - I cannot use any Android device for PVR - OTA TV use - because I know there are far better, reliable, working, more flexible options on Linux / LibreELEC devices, so consequently I don't use Android for that task.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - archy121 - 2017-03-30

(2017-03-30, 18:36)wrxtasy Wrote: I really find it very strange when someone buys a device designed primarily as a easy to use, cheap media streamer and then tries to turn it into a PC and do tasks like web browsing on a TV with Chrome and complain about limited internal storage and speed.

These cheap Android TV OS media players are not intended to be used for that task - its exactly why they don't come with any sort of mouse in the very first place.
Its also why touchscreen Tablets and Phones running the Android touchscreen OS are far easier to use for such web browsing tasks.

The primary problem is users are trying to do everything on the one device. Demanding Kodi usage, Power Hungry Gaming, 4K Streaming, PVR's, OTA TV & deinterlacing, 3D, Flash & Web Browsing, Hi-def Music, Rocket Science, Lunar Orbit Injection....

And that is bound to fail - you end up with too many compromises and then we get to sit here and read about user woes - and you really have to question why they bought such a device in the very first place and if any pre-purchase research was even done. Huh

As an example - I cannot use any Android device for PVR - OTA TV use - because I know there are far better, reliable, working, more flexible options on Linux / LibreELEC devices, so consequently I don't use Android for that task.

Very true and needed to be said. I'm also constantly surprised by people's expectations.

I was wondering if you can help with some remaining concerns as I'm on the brink of pulling the trigger on one of these international models. The Box is to play uk on demand services, stream stored 1080p videos and flac audio from Windows server and of course run Kodi. 4K Kodi and YouTube would be a requirement for the future.

Is this box able to run the UK on demand tv apps ? ITV/Iplayer/4OD/5Demand etc

I already have a Roku 2 box and find its interface to these apps annoyingly slow and cumbersome.
Are you able to comment on the speed of the apps and interface quality Vs roku 2 or in general ?

Are all of the U.K tv apps available natively to Android TV or will I have to sideload them ?

I'm concerned side loaded apps will have a slow Cumbersome interface that gives no improvements over Roku2.

Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - tredman - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-30, 20:26)archy121 Wrote:
(2017-03-30, 18:36)wrxtasy Wrote: I really find it very strange when someone buys a device designed primarily as a easy to use, cheap media streamer and then tries to turn it into a PC and do tasks like web browsing on a TV with Chrome and complain about limited internal storage and speed.

Very true and needed to be said. I'm also constantly surprised by people's expectations.

I was wondering if you can help with some remaining concerns as I'm on the brink of pulling the trigger on one of these international models. The Box is to play uk on demand services, stream stored 1080p videos and flac audio from Windows server and of course run Kodi. 4K Kodi and YouTube would be a requirement for the future.

Is this box able to run the UK on demand tv apps ? ITV/Iplayer/4OD/5Demand etc

I already have a Roku 2 box and find its interface to these apps annoyingly slow and cumbersome.
Are you able to comment on the speed of the apps and interface quality Vs roku 2 or in general ?

Are all of the U.K tv apps available natively to Android TV or will I have to sideload them ?

I'm concerned side loaded apps will have a slow Cumbersome interface that gives no improvements over Roku2.

There are no UK catch-up apps working correctly on the mi box.

iPlayer via the Kodi add-on works well

Itv hub, native Android TV app extracted from Sony TV, used to work on my mi box and shields but now crashes on boot. There is an itv Kodi add-on which mostly works.

CH4 has never worked

As for 5, does anyone ever watch it Smile

However, the mi box works well as a Chromecast target, so you can just do that.

As mentioned above by wrxtasy, personally I wouldn't bother side loading non-android tv apps as you'll need to use some god awful air remote to control them.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - crestorrep - 2017-03-31

Amen WRXTASY,

The Mi Box is my 1st streaming box. I am no power/pro user. I don't care about 4k, 1080p, or whatever. I absolutely love it, it does exactly what I bought it to do.

I feel the Mi Box is the only way to go for a decent affordable box as I feel it will get support. Some of these other companies that don't have store distribution in USA, who knows if they can even stay in business.

If I were a power user, there is no question, I would go with a Shield.

Mi Box is awesome for a $70 box and while I'm aching for Android N too because I love upgrades, I'll continue to wait patiently. None of these other companies with the exception of NVIDIA have released Android N for their boxes either.

As you said in another post a couple of weeks ago, this box has only been out since October and they have had 2 OTA updates.

Everyone, keep the faith, this is a great box for $70 USD. If you want all the bells and whistles, go with a Shield.

Now one thing I will say, it does need to do what they advertised it will, so updates/fixes do need to be ongoing.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 08:27)crestorrep Wrote: Now one thing I will say, it does need to do what they advertised it will, so updates/fixes do need to be ongoing.
What I can say is from a LibreELEC developer perspective - we get to see and use parts of the common AMLogic Android / Linux Kernel so we partially know what is coming down the pipe for Firmware supported S9xx devices.

Android Nougat brings with it proper HDR support for 4K Netflix. LE devs. are already using bug busted Nougat video driver code in various AML S905(x) projects. This fixes those dark 1080p video output problems most Android S905X and S912 users are seeing at the moment.

I would imagine Xiaomi are taking a conservative approach to this HDR Nougat Firmware upgrade to make sure they get it working OK - especially for HDR 4K Video streaming Apps use.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - dermo33 - 2017-03-31

Whens Nougat coming guys... I hear its out for beta testers, but when we likely to get the update ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - insync44 - 2017-03-31

I never said that the Mi Box was not good. If you read I said it was adequate for $100 CDN. Actually it does its 1080p job quite well. If its your first box then its the greatest thing since sliced bread. I still think that about my WDTV Live Hub. Actually Kodi was the only incentive I had for purchasing the Mi Box. I knew nothing about Android TV before purchasing this Box. Come on Google, do I have to sideload Chrome, your own Browser, is not available in your own Playstore? Seriously?

The Mi Box, IMO, is a cheap way to tinker with Android TV. If you need a simple streaming gadget then go for it.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - toniolol - 2017-03-31

Hi,
I think you're rude with this 60€ box !
Did you try other Android China's box before ? (I mean same price).
Don't compare a 60€ box with a 250€ box !

Before it a had an Android Box with Android and not Android TV and this is the day and night !

No need mouse or special remote with thousands buttons !

My needs are smalls :
- ttorrent (controlled by trabsdrone from my phone/tablet inside/oudside my home wifi)
- Kodi (720p and 180p no 4K)
- IPTV applications (In France MolotovTV is the best for all direct and replay free TV)
- Chromecast (integrated)

For sideload it's easy with ES Explorer.
And to have links on desktop use App Cloner.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - archy121 - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 07:58)tredman Wrote: There are no UK catch-up apps working correctly on the mi box.

Itv hub, native Android TV app extracted from Sony TV, used to work on my mi box and shields but now crashes on boot. There is an itv Kodi add-on which mostly works.

CH4 has never worked

As mentioned above by wrxtasy, personally I wouldn't bother side loading non-android tv apps as you'll need to use some god awful air remote to control them.

Damn -I really was not expecting to discover this. I thought my needs were somewhat basic from an Android TV device.

The fact that it runs Android TV and yet doesn't have proper support for these free service apps makes it a very inadequate device at its price point. I'm glad that you replied in time and stopped me going ahead with the buy.
It would seem even shield will not serve my basic needs.

Maybe things will improve later on and Android TV might actually support basic TV services. Until than I will put up with my Roku2 for TV demand services and keep the PC file server doubled up as HTPC.

Could Amazon Fire TV fulfil my needs ?

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 17:59)archy121 Wrote: The fact that it runs Android TV and yet doesn't have proper support for these free service apps makes it a very inadequate device at its price point. I'm glad that you replied in time and stopped me going ahead with the buy.

Maybe things will improve later on and Android TV might actually support basic TV services.
You have actually got this completely around the wrong way. Those Apps you want - need to have support added to them to actually run properly on the simple Android TV platforms. Google's Android TV is not going to bend to suit your needed Apps requirements - Goggle definitely won't be heading down that route.

Pester the various touchscreen Android App developers to produce a user friendly Android TV version - that is actually what needs to be done.

Live Channels on Android TV is where IPTV streaming services belong - using an App that is very simple to operate, with a common user interface and the ability to easily add or remove whatever channels you want.

(2017-03-31, 14:04)insync44 Wrote: Come on Google, do I have to sideload Chrome, your own Browser, is not available in your own Playstore? Seriously?
BTW: I can go to the regular touchscreen Google Playstore on any other device (PC / Mac / Phone / Tablet) and search for Chrome, press install - select Mi Box - and do an OTA install of the App.
If that is seriously too hard, you need to stop playing with media players full stop.

And the Challenge now for you is try and do that type of easy install on the nVIDIA Shield Wink

Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - tredman - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 17:59)archy121 Wrote:
(2017-03-31, 07:58)tredman Wrote: There are no UK catch-up apps working correctly on the mi box.

CH4 has never worked

Damn -I really was not expecting to discover this. I thought my needs were somewhat basic from an Android TV device.

The fact that it runs Android TV and yet doesn't have proper support for these free service apps makes it a very inadequate device at its price point. I'm glad that you replied in time and stopped me going ahead with the buy.

Maybe things will improve later on and Android TV might actually support basic TV services. Until than I will put up with my Roku2 for TV demand services and keep the PC file server doubled up as HTPC.

Could Amazon Fire TV fulfil my needs ?

As wrxtasy says it's up to the developers to add them (iPlayer is already on the shield), I do find it annoying that most are already on the Android TV platform with the Sony Android TV.

You can add them to the Android tv live channels app via the puppetmaster app, but personally I don't think it's the right place for catch-up (i use the live channels app for live tv only).

Personally the only one missing for me is 4OD, the others are available via Kodi.

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - BenPrater28 - 2017-03-31

Just tough I would say that you can the Mi Box for £69 at the moment ($85) which makes it very good value for money. Compared to the 100$ price that everyone talks about.
On sale at - https://TheSolutionShop.co.uk/product/Mi-Box/

Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - Vispen74 - 2017-03-31

Live TV over the air is works extremely well with Android as forend. There is several apps for this. It is our only TV solution home and we can watch TV on every computer, phone, tablet, Mi box connected TV and our Android-TV. Even on the run from the car for example. It couldn't be better. We are using Tvheadend as backend.

The mi box is doing a good job here!

I wish more makers of TVs and boxes are going for Android TV, so the app development goes faster.

Sent from my Nokia 3110i

RE: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box) - bigmachingon - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 21:33)BenPrater28 Wrote: Just tough I would say that you can the Mi Box for £69 at the moment ($85) which makes it very good value for money. Compared to the 100$ price that everyone talks about.
On sale at - https://TheSolutionShop.co.uk/product/Mi-Box/
The mi box it's 70 USD in walmart, he's talking about 100 CAD