Kodi Community Forum
WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K (/showthread.php?tid=280406)

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - wesk05 - 2016-06-25

(2016-06-24, 19:10)Kubrickian Wrote: Does this mean Andriod N will enable audio such as 24bit 92khz and 24bit 192khz files to be passed through Kodi? Right now it my understanding Andriod limits Kodi on that type of audio but Openelec works because it is Linux based.

Trying to decide on a streamer that can passthrough 24/92 and hardware decode hevc. I have a chromebox with Openelec, like the audio passthrough it but software decodes hevc. Also have a Shield that does the opposite.

Thinking the Hub could be the one of it will pass the audio properly with Openelc.
Kodi 17 on Nexus Player with Android Marshmallow or N DP4 supports 24/192 stereo PCM, 16/192 multichannel PCM outputs. I haven't tried any other hi-res audio format. The Nexus Player is not only discontinued, but doesn't also have HEVC hardware decoder. I was only making a point that it is not a limitation of Android anymore (except for 44.1kHz). It is more of an implementation issue.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - HomerJau - 2016-06-25

(2016-06-24, 15:01)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-06-24, 04:14)HomerJau Wrote: I would also hope you add a test for DTS-HDMA 24 bit 192kHz since there are multichannel music releases at this resolution (I can get you a sample if required, 10 second intro)
Yes, please share a sample, at least about 45 seconds in duration. Thanks.

@hdmkv Here is a link to a zip file that contains two 45 sec 24/192kHz 5.1 test tracks. One is an MKV containing DTS-HDMA lossless version and other is a FLAC version.

Edit: (Link now removed)

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - hdmkv - 2016-06-25

@HomerJau, thanks. I also added your samples to the Kodi A/V samples wiki here.

As a quick update, as @ChristianTroy suggested, I did a factory data reset of my Hub yesterday, set automatic refresh rate to "Level 2", sideloaded the latest WeTek Media Player, and re-did all tests in my mini-review on previous page...

Things are looking (um, sounding) a whole lot better on the HD audio front Smile. Will update review over this weekend.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - Draghmar - 2016-06-25

(2016-06-25, 18:02)hdmkv Wrote: Things are looking (um, sounding) a whole lot better on the HD audio front Smile. Will update review over this weekend.
Great to 'hear' that Big Grin I'm really looking forward to your conclusions. Smile

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - hdmkv - 2016-06-25

Review on previous page updated.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - ChristianTroy - 2016-06-26

Thanks for the new testing, I don't know why but sometimes the build server produces lemons regarding HD audio while something I build locally works all the time, the only difference is the underlying Linux distribution they both run (the build server Ubuntu, me on bare metal or virtualization Gentoo)

About level 2, it is really needed also in Kodi to avoid having auto refresh rate to try to move to an higher resolution, I don't know if is somehow possible to limit it to stay within the resolution range and just changing the refresh rate, I need to speak with codesnake about this if he has any trick for that.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - Martijn - 2016-06-26

Just a warning about all amlogic specific code hacks that were added through the years.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9993
We already stopped building with amlogic enabled and very likely we remove the entire code path for it. This means kodi will only use MediaCodec on Android (linux remains the same).

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - Martijn - 2016-06-26

(2016-06-24, 19:10)Kubrickian Wrote:
(2016-06-24, 05:32)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-06-24, 05:22)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes interesting indeed, I did not expect PCM greater than 2.0.

Whilst we are on the Audio subject, can someone (maybe Koying) explain what advantages, additions etc IEC Audio passthrough provides ?

HDMI audio is packetized according to IEC-61937-xx specs. Kodi can packet the stream, but Android expects raw stream and want to do the packeting by itself. Amlogic uses IEC passthrough. Not following Android standards turned out to be good in this case. @fritsch had mentioned that the upcoming Android N will be using IEC passthrough like all other OSes. (I think I got this right).

Does this mean Andriod N will enable audio such as 24bit 92khz and 24bit 192khz files to be passed through Kodi? Right now it my understanding Andriod limits Kodi on that type of audio but Openelec works because it is Linux based.

Trying to decide on a streamer that can passthrough 24/92 and hardware decode hevc. I have a chromebox with Openelec, like the audio passthrough it but software decodes hevc. Also have a Shield that does the opposite.

Thinking the Hub could be the one of it will pass the audio properly with Openelc.

Probably though we still need to test it and the only device that is available for testing is the Nexus Player which isn't that great and doesn't support hd audio. As such we can only test ac3/dts/aec3

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - JohnWB - 2016-06-26

Thanks for the great reviews and checks.

I noticed that it was unable to process the H264 Hi10p 1080p anime sample.

Is there any chance that it will be able to in the future or is there any box coming up that can or will be able to.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - ChristianTroy - 2016-06-26

You need to use software decoding through ffmpeg (aka disabling amlcodec and both mediacodec), I think you should be able to play up to 720p in sw decoding and I don't think that we will ever see something supporting that profile

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - Ned Scott - 2016-06-26

Detection of Hi10P is not always reliable, so Kodi sometimes tries to hardware decode it anyways. In theory, it should software decode automatically, and the Hub should be able to play most 1080 Hi10P files that are "out there".

That being said, stop using Hi10P. It's a dead-end format that even the "anime scene" will drop sooner than later, and we're not even supposed to be answering questions about those kinds of files/releases.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - JohnWB - 2016-06-26

(2016-06-26, 15:33)Ned Scott Wrote: Detection of Hi10P is not always reliable, so Kodi sometimes tries to hardware decode it anyways. In theory, it should software decode automatically, and the Hub should be able to play most 1080 Hi10P files that are "out there".

That being said, stop using Hi10P. It's a dead-end format that even the "anime scene" will drop sooner than later, and we're not even supposed to be answering questions about those kinds of files/releases.

Thanks for that, point taken.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - wrxtasy - 2016-06-26

(2016-06-24, 03:19)hdmkv Wrote:
  • Versatility: About all equal, for different reasons
    [i]- [The bang-for-the-buck option!]
    Hub only costs about $100, supports Netflix HD, allows easy Android/OpenELEC switching, and there's excellent support by WeTek
Yes Versatility and Bang for the Buck, I totally agree Smile
Thanks to WeTek developer Codesnake, I've been supplied with the Kernel / Bootloader / OpenELEC source code for the Hub. So I put that to good use and plugged it into my LibreELEC build system. ODROID C2 users will be very familiar with what a LibreELEC AML S905 system can do:

LibreELEC-WeTek_Hub.aarch64-7.0.2.img.gz
  • + Easily, Dual boot - LE or OE / Android Lollipop, using IR power button on the Hub remote.
  • + 5.1 AC3 / DTS Passthrough
  • + 5.1 / 7.1 True HD and DTS-HD MA/HRA Passthrough should work (untested - no AVR)
  • + Fixed Interlaced DVD playback with YADIFx2 full motion - Software deinterlacing for 480i/576i mpeg2 content.
  • = Faster SD TV channel switching as well !
  • + Fixed 720 / 1080p << -- >> 2160p auto refresh and resolution switching / scaling problem. (patch to be upstreamed)
  • + Fixed problematic HEVC playback with certain video clips.
  • + Davilla's (MrMC) MySQL configurator added - moved from advancedsettings.xml to the Kodi GUI
  • + Running the Interactive CPU Governor as a heat / performance compromise.
  • + Custom performance patches and added Kodi tweaks, too many to mention.
  • + ARM64 modded LibreELEC Addons working out of the box.
  • + PVR's Client Addons, pre-compiled and included (Settings > MyAddons)
  • ~ 3D MVC ISO playback (Half Res.) is a WIP, based on Koying's code.
  • - PCM Multichannel Audio output > 2.0 will likely not work (untested), S905 C2 LibreELEC Audio Comparison here.
  • - Smooth VC-1 Bluray playback is an ongoing issue.
  • - The Hub's IR remote is not yet supported, I'm using FLIRC & the Core's RF Remote.
  • + An unexpected surprise was that with either, updated AML Kernel source code, or the AML S905 Rev. C SoC. Playback of 2160p DolbyVison clips is now possible. (LG Demo DolbyVision Comparison.mkv used)
  • + Astra SES 10bit 2160p50hz Satellite video clips that previously showed Pixellation playback problems on other AML S905's, now have No playback issues on the Rev. C S905 in the Hub Smile
Alternate .tar update with different asound.conf configuration:
LibreELEC-WeTek_Hub.aarch64-7.0.2.Alt.asound.conf.tar

A minimal OS like LibreELEC, even running from a Class 6 SD card, makes for a nippy little Kodi system, especially once optimised and tweaked !
Handing over to Mr hdmkv Wink

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - hdmkv - 2016-06-26

Nice, thanks. Just need to find some time Smile.

RE: WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K - zbigzbig20 - 2016-06-26

@wrxtasy, does wetek hub support some external usb dvb-s2 tuners with this le build? Maybe you tested something? Regards