Kodi Community Forum
Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? (/showthread.php?tid=281802)

Pages: 1 2

Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - aospan - 2016-07-06

Hello Everybody !

I'm developing truly universal USB DTV receiver with CI-slot. And I'v decided to make it Open Hardware, but I need your help Smile Please, donate $1-20 or pre-order for $70 on my indiegogo campaign located here:
https://igg.me/at/jokertv/x

Let's make best DTV receiver together ! Please share this info with friends or on open-source/open-hardware sites/forums, etc !
Big thanks for all !
I'm ready to discuss and reply to any questions !

--
Abylay Ospan

P.S.
Sorry, if this message looks like advertisement or commercial. Hope for your understanding !

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - Woppie - 2016-07-06

Any reason why not to go with a dual tuner? to be able to both record and watch a channel is pretty huge and love it on my current tuner.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - Pr0ph3cyTiger - 2016-07-06

Wow, how does it works? would I need a dish or aerial to receive the tv channels?

Can I be able to install CAM cards in the receiver to watch the pay tv channels across european?

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - Ned Scott - 2016-07-07

That's cool, but you only have 3D renderings and you are going for a November 2016 release? That's not realistic.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - komplex - 2016-07-07

(2016-07-07, 02:37)Ned Scott Wrote: That's cool, but you only have 3D renderings and you are going for a November 2016 release? That's not realistic.

The indiegogo page has a video with what i assume is his working prototype

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - aospan - 2016-07-08

Hello,

I have universal card but for PCI-e (I'm founder of NetUP Inc.). It's in production now. Here is a description:
http://www.netup.tv/en-EN/netup-universal-dual-dvb-ci

this is for professional market. new device (USB version) is for consumer market.
The "RF part" (demods + tuner) already tested and works. CI-slot same.
New thing is USB and I need some time to prepare FPGA code and drivers. So, I'v made delivery date in november. May be I can start shipments early Smile

(2016-07-06, 21:05)Woppie Wrote: Any reason why not to go with a dual tuner? to be able to both record and watch a channel is pretty huge and love it on my current tuner.

for USB devices I decided that people who wants second port can connect second USB device ... is this works for you ?

(2016-07-06, 22:04)Pr0ph3cyTiger Wrote: Wow, how does it works? would I need a dish or aerial to receive the tv channels?

Can I be able to install CAM cards in the receiver to watch the pay tv channels across european?

yes, you need satellite dish for dvb-s/s2 channels and aerial antenna for other modulations.
and you can use official CAM module and smart-card to watch pay tv.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - RockerC - 2016-07-08

(2016-07-06, 15:38)aospan Wrote: Hello Everybody !

I'm developing truly universal USB DTV receiver with CI-slot. And I'v decided to make it Open Hardware, but I need your help Smile Please, donate $1-20 or pre-order for $70 on my indiegogo campaign located here:
https://igg.me/at/jokertv/x

Let's make best DTV receiver together ! Please share this info with friends or on open-source/open-hardware sites/forums, etc !
Big thanks for all !
I'm ready to discuss and reply to any questions !

--
Abylay Ospan
@aospan, I would like to strongly suggest that you on your ndiegogo campaign post an update where you promise to donate TV-tuner hardware from early production-runs (and ship the earliest possible) to several prominent open source PVR/DVR sofware projects in order to get them to better support your product sooner in their software.

Suggest that you offer to donate free TV-tuners to a majority of core developers and testers from the Tvheadend, VDR, MythTV. MediaPortal, and SageTV communities. And maybe also to developers from projects that also showcase tuners, like Kodi, LibreELEC, and OpenELEC.

I think this would benifit both your indiegogo campaign and all these projects, as you will sell more TV-tuners if these porjects support your TV-tuner out-of-the-box, and these project can have common hardware to develop for and run test on to compare how it works on different platforms.

Sure that donating multiple TV-tuners to each of these projects will initially cost quite some money out of your pocket, but it will surley pay you back hundredfold if you by doing so can get these project to support your TV-tuner out-of-the-box, and maybe even recommend it as reference hardware.

(2016-07-06, 21:05)Woppie Wrote: Any reason why not to go with a dual tuner? to be able to both record and watch a channel is pretty huge and love it on my current tuner.
+1 I too would pay more money to get a dual-tuner. This so that I can watch one channel and record a other channel at the same time, or record two channels at the same time.

While I would not pay twice as much dual-tuner tuner as a single-tuner, I would maybe be willing to pay as much as 1.5 as much, (it also depends how much extra components are required).

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - noggin - 2016-07-08

I'm not sure I see the point of combined DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T/T2/C tuners with a single antenna/aerial/Dish LNB feed for an external tuner.

I could see the point if there were two inputs you switched between in software - but I can't see myself physically disconnecting a rooftop aerial/antenna and then connecting an LNB satellite feed manually, or vice versa. I would have a single set-up that is configured and left - either a DVB-S/S2 tuner OR a DVB-T/T2/C tuner with permanent connections to their respective antennae.

I can see the point of a multi standard tuner integrated into a box - as you can sell a single SKU with all capabilities rather than having multiple SKUs (or multiple tuner options), but for external duties I'm not so sure.

For travel purposes I absolutely see the sense in a single tuner capable of receiving ATSC, ISDB-T, DVB-T/T2 (so wherever you are in the world you can plug in an antenna and watch TV) etc. - but don't see the use case for satellite with travellers. (I always carry a DVB-T2 tuner when travelling around Europe)

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - nickr - 2016-07-08

@RockerC, you can record/watch far more than one channel per tuner, depending how the muxes are set up. Also if the drivers present a standard /dev/dvb interface the tuner should be plug and play.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - noggin - 2016-07-09

(2016-07-08, 12:58)nickr Wrote: @RockerC, you can record/watch far more than one channel per tuner, depending how the muxes are set up. Also if the drivers present a standard /dev/dvb interface the tuner should be plug and play.

Yes. This is a key issue. If two channels are being broadcast in the same mux (i.e. on the same RF frequency) you can receive them both simultaneously on one tuner (assuming your I/O bandwidth is up to the job)

I have 3 x Dual DVB-T tuners (total of 6 DVB-T) and 3 x DVB-T2 tuners on my TV Headend backend - each of them dedicated to a single mux (there are currently 9 DVB-T or T2 muxes in London). This means I can watch or record any channel irrespective of what I am watching or recording elsewhere - in theory I can record every channel simultaneously... Only limitation - I had to rebuild my kernel with a new max devices setting for the DVB subsystem as normal kernels have a limit of 8 devices.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - Woppie - 2016-07-11

(2016-07-08, 05:20)aospan Wrote:

for USB devices I decided that people who wants second port can connect second USB device ... is this works for you ?

Nope that won't work for me and let me tell you why this device won't get popular around here.

We have 40'ish muxes (bouquets) for DVB-C which is popular here.... so the chances you want to record and watch something from the same mux is really really smal. Even the free to air stuff is somewhat hard.

DVB-S2 is nice though you can't use it at most places here and it's not popular.

Even DVB-T soon to be T2 isn't popular here and has like 8 or 10 muxes.

Another reason it won't work for me personally; it's USB. I like an internal one but might have went with an USB version if it was dual tuner.
Right now I have the Digital Devices Duoflex with dual tuner... it's PCI-e but the best part is it only needs 1 cam for the dual tuner or even quad tuner!

And lastly right now I have a perfect working tuner so I'm not in the market, and I happen to know the market in western Europe and it's slim. It's a case of little to late for most people here. Back then the Terratec H7 came out with both DVB-C/T reception but here a lot of people move on to fiber glass now for which there is no PC tuner. Your best market is the German market I guess, forget the Netherlands, Belgium and I think even France.

It's still a nice device though, just it makes little sense anymore except if you're traveling and I've always found wherever I go within Europe I can find me a tv, either in the lobby of a hotel, at my room or at a friends place. So I have to pass on for tons of reasons.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - noggin - 2016-07-11

(2016-07-11, 12:12)Woppie Wrote: And lastly right now I have a perfect working tuner so I'm not in the market, and I happen to know the market in western Europe and it's slim. It's a case of little to late for most people here. Back then the Terratec H7 came out with both DVB-C/T reception but here a lot of people move on to fiber glass now for which there is no PC tuner. Your best market is the German market I guess, forget the Netherlands, Belgium and I think even France.

UK market still quite strong for DVB-T2 tuners - we have 6 DVB-T (5 national and 1 local depending on where you live) and 3 DVB-T2 muxes - with almost nothing encrypted (so no CAM issues), and similarly DVB-S/S2 for Freesat (again no encryption) is also pretty good. I ended up putting 3 x PS3 Play TV (2xDVB-T tuners in one box) and 3 x August T210v1s into a Chromebox to run as MuMuDVB IPTV unicast servers (one tuner per mux dedicated) which I then add as IPTV sources in TV Headend for PVR / EPG / Kodi duties.

Have also added a SAT>IP source to TV Headend using a Quad Sat IP server for services not available via terrestrial.

DVB-C is locked down here tightly - so not a legal option.

RE: Who wants Open Hardware DTV receiver ? - tr4shcr4ft - 2016-07-11

i hope for two things:
1. a cost down version without cam
2. driver will run on mips architecture
Wink