Kodi Community Forum
Python MSN messenger - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Python MSN messenger (/showthread.php?tid=2826)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

- C-Quel - 2005-02-09

well you seem to have got quite far with the progress of this script. i to have also been checking out msnlibs and agree they are outdated. do you have a beta of this script available maybe i can help in dev as i am keen to get msn working under xbmc.

- C-Quel - 2005-02-19

any update?

- sonic - 2005-03-13

someone who got some news on this script?

- grunix - 2005-04-04

any news yet about this ?

- sonic - 2005-05-01

is this project dead? i hope not...

- evilaardvark - 2005-05-03

liquid, please return and at least post what you've got so far. a lot of us would be interested in getting this working.

- trejkaz - 2005-05-05

what would be more useful would be a jabber/xmpp client. that would even let people connect to msn if they wanted, or icq, aim or yahoo, simply by registering transports on a server.

if it was done this way, we'd be piggy-backing on the developers of pymsn-t and the other transports, and wouldn't need to update the code every time the other protocols change (which is roughly once a year, but still too often imo.)

if i knew python already i'd probably take a crack at it. there are at least two libraries which are supposed to be pretty easy to use, and i'm dying for a useful im client on the xbox. :-)

- solexalex - 2005-05-05

i started to have a look a couple of days ago...
i can send a message through python to my jabber account Smile

i don't know very well jabber or xmpp so it is pretty hard ...

if someone want to help me, you're welcome

- sonic - 2005-05-07

nice to see that someone works on this project again Smile .. i wish u good luck  :bowdown:

- solexalex - 2005-05-16

hard for me.. but it is in good way Smile

- sonic - 2005-05-17

great solexalex  :kickass: .. thnx for working on this nice feature.   :thumbsup:

- kayser9soze - 2005-05-19

it would be awesome to have that on modded xbox's i'll try working on some sort of cam program with a few ppl if progress is made with this program otherwise it's pointless. an instant messenger with cam capabilities would be awesome, alex if u need help with it just let me know. i have a few ideas on how to combine the two, also i'm a little stumped on the stream pack process, i have someone writting out the script but he's all slow.

- trejkaz - 2005-05-19

camera would be interesting, but you'd need the client to support sip for it to even be worth starting such a project... otherwise it would connect to nothing useful.

the other thing is, if you were able to use a usb webcam from xbmc, there would be nothing stopping you using a usb capture device of some other kind... which means xbmc could capture video, could it not? that would be even more awesome as i could record tv shows with it then. :-)

- solexalex - 2005-05-19

i'm not sure video could be done with jabber (i found a library to use xmpp language, but not sure video can be used with it)

furthermore, i can't tell you how hard it is for me to make it work correctly...
what i can do right now :
-xbmc can send a message
-xbmc can receive some messages
i use a thread to process the xmpp process. this thread seems to make it hard to use... my english is not good enough to explain you what kind of problem i meet. but what i can say, is that i can't find out what is wrong some times...

anyway i do my best to find a way to release something usable as soon as possible..

xmpp can be usefull for many other things : file transfer, bots, launch player from any place of the world Smile lol (not very usefull, but some ideas can come with time.)

- trejkaz - 2005-05-20

video is tricky as it doesn't belong to "instant messaging", which more or less covers text messaging with a few related topics (i've always argued that file transfer doesn't even belong in instant messaging, because we already have http, ftp, scp, bittorrent and a dozen other protocols which work just as well already.)

there are video extensions for xmpp which have been drafted, but nobody actually uses them. at the current point in time it would be more sane to use sip for video chats, and to keep the video chat client separate if need be.

incidentally, sip is supposedly what the proper msn messenger (as opposed to windows messenger) uses for video... and also what those rare video phones use. it can do audio as well of course, and can be bridged to the real phone network through hundreds of providers. it can do instant messaging as well in theory, but doesn't do it well and has less features than xmpp does in that area.