Kodi Community Forum
v17 \n is not correctly supported - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Translations and Languages (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=90)
+--- Thread: v17 \n is not correctly supported (/showthread.php?tid=283789)

\n is not correctly supported - Smeulf - 2016-07-26

Hello,

I've just see that some language ressources (and also the "basic" English one) contains the "\n" char.

But in Krypton, and IIRC also in the previous version, this char, and every part of the string after it is stripped.

I saw the problem in my native language (French) with the message #20446 :

msgctxt "#20446"
msgid "Locally stored information found. Ignore and refresh from Internet?"
msgstr "Informations trouvées localement. \nFaut-il ignorer et actualiser depuis Internet ?"

The "Ignore and refresh from Internet?" translation part is totally missing, resulting in a totally wrong understanding of the message.

Can someone in the Kodi team confirm? And maybe write some recommendation?

All the best.

Smeulf.

RE: \n is not correctly supported - lufortytwo - 2018-03-01

Hi,

I know you posted this one year and a half ago but I'm trying to solve this problem on my computer and I wanted to know where you found the file with the translation of message #20446. Even though I installed the French language addon I can't find the strings.po where this message is. The english version is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\resource.language.en_gb\resources, but there is no C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\resource.language.fr_fr folder, and the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\skin.estuary\language\resource.language.fr_fr\strings.po doesn't have it.

And even if your question didn't get answered I hope this problem will be fixed in the next update, because as you said this message becomes really misleading (even contradictory) without the end of the sentence.

RE: \n is not correctly supported - lufortytwo - 2018-03-01

I finally found how to solve this problem, if it ever interests someone :
- Download the latest version of the language addon zip file here : http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/krypton/resource.language.fr_fr/
- Modify the strings.po file in the resource.language.fr_fr\resources folder : replace each "\n" by a space in sentences following "msgstr" (you may have to unzip the file, modify strings.po, then zip the resource.language.fr_fr folder)
- Install the zip addon as described here : https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_languages_offline
- Done !

RE: \n is not correctly supported - Smeulf - 2018-03-02

Hi,

Under Windows, the french strings.po file is located either in : 

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\addons\resource.language.fr_fr\resources if you installed Kodi from the Windows Store (pretty hard to guess I must admit ^^)
or in 
%APPDATA%\kodi\addons\resource.language.fr_fr\resources if it's a manual install.

I would not unzip the addon and zip it again to install it, because this leads in allowing unknown sources, and this can be dangerous in case you don't really know what you're doing.
I prefer to modify the file directly after it's automatically installed.

Also, remember that auto addons update will erase the changes should the french language be updated.

So until this issue is not fixed, you may have to change the language file again and again.

By "fixed", I mean either : remove all "\n" char from any language addon, or make Kodi having a proper support of the "\n" char.

And by the way, thanks @lufortytwo for having confirm the issue.

Cheers,

Smeulf.

RE: \n is not correctly supported - Smeulf - 2018-03-02

For the record, I just opened a bug report about it : https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17788#ticket

Cheers.

RE: \n is not correctly supported - lufortytwo - 2018-03-02

Thanks for your answer, in my case I actually have 2 installs of Kodi : one on an Android TV device that I use, for which I can't access to the local memory in order to modify files manually, and one on my computer for testing parameters.

Since I can't access the files on the android device, the only solution for me is the zip install. I just allow unknown sources while installing the addon and disable them after, and the whole process is pretty short and straightforward, so it doesn't worry me. But it would be great if Kodi could definitively fix the problem as you said, so we wouldn't have to manually change the file after each update, so thanks for opening the ticket !

RE: \n is not correctly supported - Smeulf - 2018-03-05

Not sure about Android TV, but I assume it's in the same folder as on my Android phone : /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodia/addons

You need a file manager that can display system files to access the ".kodi" folder.

Could also be on an alternate base path than sdcard...

There.'s no reason it can't be changed on this folder.

Anyway, let's hope it can be fixed asap.

Regards,

Smeulf

RE: \n is not correctly supported - Roman_V_M - 2018-03-13

Kodi UI supports several BBcode-like formatting tags for text labels. You can use [CR] tag to insert line breaks in translations.

RE: \n is not correctly supported - Smeulf - 2018-03-13

(2018-03-13, 11:00)Roman_V_M Wrote: Kodi UI supports several BBcode-like formatting tags for text labels. You can use [CR] tag to insert line breaks in translations.

Hi Roman_V_M, thanks for your answer, that's very good to know!

Does that mean I should review the all french translation and submit replacement strings for all containing '\n' ?

I just hope it won't break compatibility with former versions... I have no
idea how language versions are managed...

RE: \n is not correctly supported - Roman_V_M - 2018-03-19

(2018-03-13, 13:39)Smeulf Wrote: Does that mean I should review the all french translation and submit replacement strings for all containing '\n' ?

If "\n" is indeed not rendered correctly in Kodi UI, then I guhess you should.

(2018-03-13, 13:39)Smeulf Wrote: I just hope it won't break compatibility with former versions...

Text formatting tags are supported since like forever, so I don't think you'll break anything.