Kodi Community Forum
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=287826)

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-09-25

New AEL release 0.9.2

Release notes

Compared with 0.9.1, version 0.9.2 brings quite a lot of new features. Both TheGamesDB and GameFAQs scrapers now work OK and will download the correct assets. There is a brand new MobyGames metadata/asset scraper. Edition of Category/Launchers/ROM assets has been improved and will display the assets you have.

Finally, I had to change the storage format for Favourites and ROM Collections, and this change is not backwards compatible. The easy option is to delete your favourites database, located in ADDON_DATA_DIR/favourites.json, and any collections you may have, located in ADDON_DATA_DIR/db_Collections/*.json. If you want to keep Favourites/Collections then read the following sections. This change in Favourites/Collections will allow for automatic upgrades in future versions of AEL. However, until 1.0.0 is released, expect some changes in ROM storage format that will not be automatically migrated.

Fixing Favourites ROMs from previous releases

For those advanced users that want to update their Favourite ROMs from previous version to 0.9.2: edit the file ADDON_DATA_DIR/favourites.json (in Windows Notepad++ is recommended, Linux any editor will do) and add AT THE BEGGINING OF THE FILE:

PHP Code:
[
 {

"control":"Advanced Emulator Launcher Favourite ROMs",

"version":1

}, 

AT THE END OF THE FILE insert:

PHP Code:

Fixing ROM Collections from previous releases

Same as Favourites, every collection JSON file must be upgraded. Collection JSON files are located in ADDON_DATA_DIR/db_Collections/*.json. For every collection JSON file, add AT THE BEGGINING OF THE FILE:

PHP Code:
[
 {

"control":"Advanced Emulator Launcher Collection ROMs",

"version":1

}, 

AT THE END OF THE FILE insert:

PHP Code:

Advanced Emulator Launcher | version 0.9.2 | 26 September 2016

WIP ROM Collections can be imported/exported and shared with other people.

FEATURE Display assets when editing ROMs using the ImgSelectDialog class.

FEATURE Collection ROMs can be repaired/relinked, like Favourite ROMs.

FEATURE Versioned ROM storage JSON files for Favourites and ROM Collections. NOT COMPATBLE WITH PREVIOUS AEL VERSIONS!

FEATURE Reorganised context menu in Favourites/Collection ROMs.

FEATURE Relink Favourite ROMs with Unlinked Launchers or Broken parent ROMs.

FEATURE Tell if scrapers support asset or not in "Edit ROM" -- "Edit Assets/Artwork..."

FEATURE TheGamesDB asset scraper working OK.

FEATURE GameFAQs asset scraper working OK.

FEATURE MobyGames metadata scraper.

FEATURE MobyGames asset scraper.

FEATURE Initial implementation of Arcade Database metadata scraper.

FEATURE Ratings can be edited now for Categories/Launchers/ROMs.

FEATURE Improved URL page data retrieve function.

FIX Include 3 characters of the object ID in artwork directories. This avoids overwriting of images in Favourites if there are 2 ROMs with same name from 2 different launchers.

FIX Use ROM title instead of rombasename in launcher notification. For standalone launchers use then Launcher title.

FIX Add Clearlogo to "Edit Launcher" -- "Manage ROM asset directories..." menu.

FIX Do not include empty strings when checking for repeated asset directories.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - RazorFR - 2016-09-25

Hi

Would love to try the new version, but I am getting errors when trying to import AL launchers

21:05:33 T:2216 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>
Error Contents: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 296: invalid start byte
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher\addon.py", line 47, in <module>
plugin.run_plugin()
File "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher\resources\main.py", line 271, in run_plugin
self._command_import_legacy_AL()
File "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher\resources\main.py", line 4138, in _command_import_legacy_AL
fs_fix_launchers_xml(LAUNCHERS_FILE_PATH, FIXED_LAUNCHERS_FILE_PATH)
File "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher\resources\disk_IO.py", line 1173, in fs_fix_launchers_xml
line = line.decode('utf-8')
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\python\Lib\encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 296: invalid start byte
-->End of Python script error report<--

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - braz - 2016-09-25

(2016-09-25, 18:00)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-09-25, 17:41)braz Wrote: Hmm, I just tested the latest commit from an hour ago (44cd0a0), but it's still doing the same thing. When I click on a standalone launcher in AEL, I just get a Windows Explorer window with Kodi's path.

FYI, the same launcher in the original Advanced Launcher still works fine, it launches the game.

OK... without a Windows computer to test at home is the best I can do. Will fix in 0.9.3. Sorry for keep you waiting Blush
Not a problem, I can wait. Smile

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - foleyjo - 2016-09-25

Nice update. Scraping is much faster with Mobygames.
Can't wait to see what you do with the next update

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-25, 21:18)RazorFR Wrote: Would love to try the new version, but I am getting errors when trying to import AL launchers

Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>
Error Contents: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x92 in position 296: invalid start byte

Your launchers.xml has invalid characters and thus the error. Can you please upload to Ubuntu pastebin so I can have a look and make a fix?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Snacuum - 2016-09-26

Is there a way to have AEL run a launcher without displaying its location within Kodi? I'm using this plugin to run the Netflix app from the home menu, but before it runs it displays the entry list where 'Netflix launcher' is located. Since AEL uses its own favourites folder I did have to use Super Favourites to move the launcher to where my skins home menu (Aeon MQ7) could find it. So please excuse me if my problem has more to do with SF than AEL.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-26, 12:49)Snacuum Wrote: Is there a way to have AEL run a launcher without displaying its location within Kodi? I'm using this plugin to run the Netflix app from the home menu, but before it runs it displays the entry list where 'Netflix launcher' is located. Since AEL uses its own favourites folder I did have to use Super Favourites to move the launcher to where my skins home menu (Aeon MQ7) could find it. So please excuse me if my problem has more to do with SF than AEL.

I have never used SF so I don't quite understand what your problem is. Maybe a screenshot will be better...

In Krypton you can add any AEL Category/Launcher/ROM to standard Kodi Favourites. That will solve your issue?

(2016-09-25, 21:36)braz Wrote: Not a problem, I can wait. Smile

I had some unexpected free time today and did a fix to launch LNK standalone launchers in Windows and tested on a Windows machine. AEL should work for your now Smile Please install last commit from Github and tell me if you find any issues.

Also, you can create a ROMs launcher where the ROMs are LNK files. As we discussed, you will have access to the expanded artwork for ROMs, AEL Favourites, Virtual Launchers, etc. In order to do so, create a ROM launcher, as application choose any executable file except a LNK file. It does not matter what you choose, if the "ROMs" are LNK the launcher application will be ignored. Create an artwork directory for your launcher before adding it (you can use the same artwork directory you have your LNK files if you wish). Note that I have not tested this but it should work.

I have implemented also a new feature: when editing ROMs you can scrape artwork using all the available scrapers that support that kind of artwork. For example, if editing the fanart, you will be able to use ANY scraper that supports fanarts.

Enjoy!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - braz - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-26, 16:03)Wintermute0110 Wrote: I had some unexpected free time today and did a fix to launch LNK standalone launchers in Windows and tested on a Windows machine. AEL should work for your now Smile Please install last commit from Github and tell me if you find any issues.

Also, you can create a ROMs launcher where the ROMs are LNK files. As we discussed, you will have access to the expanded artwork for ROMs, AEL Favourites, Virtual Launchers, etc. In order to do so, create a ROM launcher, as application choose any executable file except a LNK file. It does not matter what you choose, if the "ROMs" are LNK the launcher application will be ignored. Create an artwork directory for your launcher before adding it (you can use the same artwork directory you have your LNK files if you wish). Note that I have not tested this but it should work.

I have implemented also a new feature: when editing ROMs you can scrape artwork using all the available scrapers that support that kind of artwork. For example, if editing the fanart, you will be able to use ANY scraper that supports fanarts.

Enjoy!
Works great, thanks for this! Just wondering, is there a way to get AEL to use my local posters/fanart? Any particular naming scheme I need to use? Thanks again for the quick fix!

(2016-09-26, 17:26)braz Wrote: Works great, thanks for this! Just wondering, is there a way to get AEL to use my local posters/fanart? Any particular naming scheme I need to use? Thanks again for the quick fix!

You are welcomed.

If you imported AL launchers.xml, your thumbs and fanarts should be already there.

For Launchers created by AEL (both ROM and standalone), assets are stored by default in ADDON_DATA_DIR/asset-launchers/ and they have the format:

PHP Code:
ADDON_DATA_DIR/asset-launchers/launcher_name_III_thumb.png
ADDON_DATA_DIR
/asset-launchers/launcher_name_III_fanart.png
ADDON_DATA_DIR
/asset-launchers/launcher_name_III_banner.png
ADDON_DATA_DIR
/asset-launchers/launcher_name_III_poster.png
ADDON_DATA_DIR
/asset-launchers/launcher_name_III_trailer.mp4 

where III is the first three characters of the launcher ID. This may look cumbersome... but I had to do it because it is quite common to have ROMs with the same name, belonging to different launcher/platforms, and including 3 unique characters of the ROM ID avoids overwriting of artwork in Favourites and ROM Collections.

For ROM launchers (including launchers where your "ROMs" are LNK files) you choose an asset directory, let's suppose is /home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/. AEL then will create the following subdirectories at launcher configuration:

PHP Code:
/home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/titles/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/snaps/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/fanarts/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/banners/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/clearlogos/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/boxfront/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/boxback/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/cartridges/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/flyers/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/maps/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/manuals/
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/trailers

Then, for each ROM, artwork is stored like this:

PHP Code:
/home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/titles/rom_1_name.png
/home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/titles/rom_2_name.png
/
home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/snaps/rom_1_name.png
/home/kodi/AEL-assets/mylauncher/snaps/rom_2_name.png

I choose this scheme because most of the artwork collections (linked in first post) use this naming scheme, so it will be easy for people to download full artwork collections to do a quick scan and then use the scrapers on a ROM by ROM basis for fine tuning.

If you reconsider doing some views for Mimic or Arctic please have a look into this file. It contains all the assets AEL support for Categories/Launchers/ROMs and the labels AEL sets using setInfo(). And of course, I'm here to help with any question you may have Blush

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - braz - 2016-09-26

Thanks for all the help, looks like I'm getting it sorted out. Took me a while to realize titles = thumbs.

I noticed a few minor things while setting things up. When deleting a ROM, the warning message says something about deleting it from favourites, even when not in favourites. Also, when manually selecting artwork, I couldn't navigate to the scrollbar or Cancel button on the select dialog. Maybe it just needs to be updated for Kodi 17?

As for the scrapers, GamesDB works great, though it doesn't have all of my titles. I tried using GameFAQ, but it quit downloading after the first 20 or so. Went to the website and see my IP was blocked for using a script to download info. Haven't been able to get Moby Games to work (fails with an error), will post my debug log when I get a chance.

One additional request...is it possible, in version 1.0, to have an option to turn off the text that is appended to launcher names that are added to favourites? For example [fav] in the launcher and [OK] in favourites.

Will have to see about new views in Mimic, right now I'm using local artwork.

Great work!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - foleyjo - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-26, 20:18)braz Wrote: As for the scrapers, GamesDB works great, though it doesn't have all of my titles. I tried using GameFAQ, but it quit downloading after the first 20 or so. Went to the website and see my IP was blocked for using a script to download info. Haven't been able to get Moby Games to work (fails with an error), will post my debug log when I get a chance.

Just for different perspective on this one, I tried scraping my megadrive roms with GamesDB and GameFAQ today and got no metadata (no errors roms and artwork was fine). I then tried Moby Games and got the meta data for most of my roms.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-09-27

(2016-09-26, 20:18)braz Wrote: I noticed a few minor things while setting things up. When deleting a ROM, the warning message says something about deleting it from favourites, even when not in favourites. Also, when manually selecting artwork, I couldn't navigate to the scrollbar or Cancel button on the select dialog. Maybe it just needs to be updated for Kodi 17?

I have corrected the Delete ROM menu. You were right.

Regarding the image selection dialog, solution is not as easy as it seems. Have a look here.

(2016-09-26, 20:18)braz Wrote: As for the scrapers, GamesDB works great, though it doesn't have all of my titles. I tried using GameFAQ, but it quit downloading after the first 20 or so. Went to the website and see my IP was blocked for using a script to download info. Haven't been able to get Moby Games to work (fails with an error), will post my debug log when I get a chance.

The GamesDB has its days... from Japan, where I am, sometimes it goes great and fast, other days it's almost dead. Yes, GameFAQs quickly detects you are downloading a lot. I have no idea how to solve that. Please post a debug log about MobyGames and I will have a look.

(2016-09-26, 20:18)braz Wrote: One additional request...is it possible, in version 1.0, to have an option to turn off the text that is appended to launcher names that are added to favourites? For example [fav] in the launcher and [OK] in favourites.

It's already done in last commit. I added options in Settings -- Display. However, I need to do some more testing.

(2016-09-26, 20:18)braz Wrote: Will have to see about new views in Mimic, right now I'm using local artwork.

That will be superb Big Grin

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - nexusle - 2016-09-27

Did you write the scrapers by yourself? In that case, would it be possible to write a scraper of OAGD.net for amiga games?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - braz - 2016-09-28

@Wintermute0110

Thanks for all the support and recent updates! One more for ya on Windows. Smile

I just noticed that lnk shortcuts that have a space in them will not launch. If no space, they work just fine. For example, I have a lnk named "Rise of the Tomb Raider.lnk." When I try to launch it I get an error that ".../Rise cannot be found" or something to that effect.

Installing the latest from github to test the new option to hide ROM marks, thanks!