Kodi Community Forum
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=287826)

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-11-21

(2019-11-21, 04:46)Nagelfar Wrote: I did a quick search and I could not find a good answer to my issue. 
Apparently, due to some change in the android storage permission setup, the AEL can't be used when storing ROMs and scraper data on an SD-Card due to write permission restrictions.
Does anybody know of a good solution to this issue? I did a debug log and there it was obvious that the issue I was experiencing was due to write permission that was not correct.

I am running an Android tv box with Android 9 on it and kodi 18.4
Some more details: Amlogic X96Max_V311R_P with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.9.113

@chrisism

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - chrisism - 2019-11-22

(2019-11-21, 04:46)Nagelfar Wrote: I did a quick search and I could not find a good answer to my issue. 
Apparently, due to some change in the android storage permission setup, the AEL can't be used when storing ROMs and scraper data on an SD-Card due to write permission restrictions.
Does anybody know of a good solution to this issue? I did a debug log and there it was obvious that the issue I was experiencing was due to write permission that was not correct.

I am running an Android tv box with Android 9 on it and kodi 18.4
Some more details: Amlogic X96Max_V311R_P with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.9.113

test:
2019-11-20 22:05:26.206 T:8773  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
2019-11-20 22:05:26.206 T:8773  NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.4 Git:20190831-3ade758ceb). Platform: Android ARM 32-bit
2019-11-20 22:05:26.206 T:8773  NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build
2019-11-20 22:05:26.206 T:8773  NOTICE: Kodi compiled 2019-09-01 by Clang 7.0.2 (https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/clang 003100370607242ddd5815e4a043907ea9004281) (https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm 1d739ffb0366421d383e04ff80ec2ee591315116) for Android ARM 32-bit API level 21 (API level 21)
2019-11-20 22:05:26.206 T:8773  NOTICE: Running on Amlogic X96Max_V311R_P with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.9.113
2019-11-20 22:05:26.206 T:8773  NOTICE: FFmpeg version/source: 4.0.4-Kodi
2019-11-20 22:05:26.207 T:8773  NOTICE: Host CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l), 4 cores available
2019-11-20 22:37:39.651 T:10345   ERROR: AEL INFO : _command_add_new_launcher() New launcher (launcher_type = 3)
2019-11-20 22:38:15.789 T:10345   ERROR: AEL VERB : fs_get_ROMs_basename() roms_base_noext "roms_root_category_p_92abb3"
2019-11-20 22:38:15.789 T:10345   ERROR: AEL VERB : assets_init_asset_dir() asset_path "/storage/0000-0000/Roms/NES/assets-nes/"
2019-11-20 22:38:15.789 T:10345   ERROR: AEL DEBUG: assets_parse_asset_dir() Creating dir "/storage/0000-0000/Roms/NES/assets-nes/fanarts"
2019-11-20 22:38:15.790 T:10345   ERROR: AEL ERROR: SingleInstance::__exit__() Unhandled excepcion in protected code
2019-11-20 22:38:15.790 T:10345   ERROR: AEL DEBUG: SingleInstance::__exit__() Releasing lock
2019-11-20 22:38:15.819 T:10345   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.OSError'>
                                            Error Contents: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/storage/0000-0000/Roms/NES/assets-nes/fanarts'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/addon.py", line 37, in <module>
                                                main.Main().run_plugin()
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 308, in run_plugin
                                                self.run_protected(command, args)
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 400, in run_protected
                                                self._command_add_new_launcher(VCATEGORY_ADDONROOT_ID)
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 1213, in _command_add_new_launcher
                                                assets_init_asset_dir(assets_path_FName, launcherdata)
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/assets.py", line 122, in assets_init_asset_dir
                                                assets_parse_asset_dir(launcher, assets_path_FName, 'path_fanart', 'fanarts')
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/assets.py", line 143, in assets_parse_asset_dir
                                                subPath.makedirs()
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/utils.py", line 879, in makedirs
                                                os.makedirs(self.path)
                                              File "/home/jenkins/workspace/Android-ARM-Leia/tools/depends/xbmc-depends/arm-linux-androideabi-21-release/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
                                            OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/storage/0000-0000/Roms/NES/assets-nes/fanarts'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Okay, yes write permissions on non-rooted Androids are always annoying in this context. So is there a different folder on the system somewhere where you actually do have write access?

Just a little background on my setup, I have a Nvidia Shield and all my media (roms and images) are on a server/pc. I mounted the shares through Android (Shield) which gives the Emulators access to the roms through normal paths like /storage/remote_share/mygames/.. etc. But this only gives you read access, not write which you need for scraping in AEL.
Kodi however, has also connected the share but through it's own smb protocol. Through Kodi you will have write access (if properly configured) over a path like 'smb://server/remote_share/mygames/'. So when creating the launcher I configure my assetpaths through the Kodi smb shares and for the Rom path I use the android path.

Although this is a solution for network shares, you might want to look in a similar way for a solution on the local machine. See if you can find a folder trough the Kodi filesystem/explorer where you have write access and use that as the assets folder for your launcher. For Rom folders you only need read access.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - User 112893 - 2019-11-22

(2019-11-08, 07:52)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2019-11-07, 20:41)Dazer12 Wrote:
(2019-11-07, 07:13)Wintermute0110 Wrote: The only way to fix this is to modify the XML files of the skin. Now the aspect ration is set tostretch and I guess you want keep. Have a look here for more information. 

Thanks for your reply!  Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck.  Found the skin xml (settings.xml) in the addon_data folder, but I couldn't find this line: <aspectratio scalediffuse="false" align="left" aligny="top">stretch</aspectratio>

I also tried adding that line, but there was no change.  I think I'm either missing something or I'm looking at the wrong xml.  Hopefully you can help, but if not, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  At least now I know there is a way to do it via the xml. 

I think is better if you ask Jurialmunkey in the Aura skin subforum. Post an screenshot of the view you wanna modify, he will point what is the XML file you have to edit. 

I will do that.  And thank you very much for your help.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Zastava - 2019-11-26

First let me say hi and thank you for AEL. I started using recently and loving the potential and what it can do.

I have 2 quick questions. Is there an option for clean game titles, for them to show without the year, version and so on in brackets?
Maybe I missed some obvious setting. I remember Advanced Launcher having that if I'm not mistaken.

Second question is related to portability. My Kodi build is made to work portable so the ideal way for things to work everywhere is with relative paths. With AEL we can customize our launchers directly in the xml. "application", "args" and "ROM_path" seem to work great with relative paths. But any media art asset only work with absolute paths. With relative paths AEL can't scrape local media art and gives an error. Is there way for the media assets to work with relative paths too?

Thx in advance!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-11-28

(2019-11-26, 13:17)Zastava Wrote: I have 2 quick questions. Is there an option for clean game titles, for them to show without the year, version and so on in brackets?
Maybe I missed some obvious setting. I remember Advanced Launcher having that if I'm not mistaken.

In AEL addon settings, ROM scanner tab, make sure that option (a) "Clean No-Intro/TOSEC Title Tags" is ON. Also, (b) "Ignore Scraped Titles" must be ON. If (b) is ON then AEL will use the ROM filename as Title and if also (a) is ON then it will clean the tags. If (b) is OFF then (a) is irrelevant because the scraped Title will be used and no tag cleaning will be done. Note that usually the scraped title is already clean of tags.

(2019-11-26, 13:17)Zastava Wrote: Second question is related to portability. My Kodi build is made to work portable so the ideal way for things to work everywhere is with relative paths. With AEL we can customize our launchers directly in the xml. "application", "args" and "ROM_path" seem to work great with relative paths. But any media art asset only work with absolute paths. With relative paths AEL can't scrape local media art and gives an error. Is there way for the media assets to work with relative paths too?

Mmm... that's a complicated topic. Portability is an option only available on Windows and poorly documented. Note that both AEL/AML are mainly developed and tested on Linux. The only solution that occurs to me is that you create your ROMs, Assets and install the emulator in a directory inside special://profile. Can you please give more details about your setup? For example, a Launcher XML configuration where I can see where things are placed? Also, I don't want to give you false hopes, it seems this feature could be difficult or maybe impossible to implement.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Zastava - 2019-11-28

(2019-11-28, 07:10)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2019-11-26, 13:17)Zastava Wrote: I have 2 quick questions. Is there an option for clean game titles, for them to show without the year, version and so on in brackets?

In AEL addon settings, ROM scanner tab, make sure that option (a) "Clean No-Intro/TOSEC Title Tags" is ON. Also, (b) "Ignore Scraped Titles" must be ON. If (b) is ON then AEL will use the ROM filename as Title and if also (a) is ON then it will clean the tags. If (b) is OFF then (a) is irrelevant because the scraped Title will be used and no tag cleaning will be done. Note that usually the scraped title is already clean of tags.
(2019-11-26, 13:17)Zastava Wrote: Second question is related to portability. My Kodi build is made to work portable so the ideal way for things to work everywhere is with relative paths. With AEL we can customize our launchers directly in the xml. "application", "args" and "ROM_path" seem to work great with relative paths. But any media art asset only work with absolute paths. With relative paths AEL can't scrape local media art and gives an error. Is there way for the media assets to work with relative paths too?

Mmm... that's a complicated topic. Portability is an option only available on Windows and poorly documented. Note that both AEL/AML are mainly developed and tested on Linux. The only solution that occurs to me is that you create your ROMs, Assets and install the emulator in a directory inside special://profile. Can you please give more details about your setup? For example, a Launcher XML configuration where I can see where things are placed? Also, I don't want to give you false hopes, it seems this feature could be difficult or maybe impossible to implement.     

Thank you so much for the reply and help. First part solved my problem. Had no idea that those two options together would do it. I'm using mostly AEL offline scraper at the moment so that's the reason titles usually have the xml list tags.

Regarding portability, that is a intriguing possible solution. I'm also afraid that what I wish could be hard or impossible from some searches I did in the forum due to Kodi limitations. Even then not sure why only the media can't use relative paths to work. Build here have all the assets (roms and media) outside Kodi. That way Kodi or other frontend can use them freely.

Dreamcast launcher example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advanced_emulator_launcher_configuration>
<launcher>
<name>Sega Dreamcast</name>
<category>Sega</category>
<Launcher_NFO>Sega Dreamcast.nfo</Launcher_NFO>
<platform>Sega Dreamcast</platform>
<application>..\..\emulators\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe</application>
<args>-s "Sega Dreamcast" -r "%rom%"</args>
<ROM_path>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\roms</ROM_path>
<ROM_ext>chd</ROM_ext>
<s_icon />
<s_fanart>..\..\collections\_Main\background\Sega Dreamcast.jpg</s_fanart>
<s_banner />
<s_poster>..\..\collections\_Main\flyer\Sega Dreamcast.jpg</s_poster>
<s_clearlogo>..\..\collections\_Main\logo\Sega Dreamcast.png</s_clearlogo>
<s_controller />
<s_trailer>..\..\collections\_Main\video\Sega Dreamcast.mp4</s_trailer>
<path_3dbox>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\boxart 3d\</path_3dbox>
<path_title />
<path_snap>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\snap\</path_snap>
<path_boxfront>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\boxart\</path_boxfront>
<path_boxback />
<path_cartridge>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\cartart\</path_cartridge>
<path_fanart>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\background\</path_fanart>
<path_banner />
<path_clearlogo>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\logo\</path_clearlogo>
<path_flyer />
<path_map />
<path_manual />
<path_trailer>..\..\collections\Sega Dreamcast\video\</path_trailer>
<ROM_asset_path />
<Asset_Prefix />
</launcher>
</advanced_emulator_launcher_configuration>

Emulator, RocketLauncher in this case, args and rom paths work good using relative paths. Media not.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-12-05

(2019-11-28, 13:27)Zastava Wrote: Regarding portability, that is a intriguing possible solution. I'm also afraid that what I wish could be hard or impossible from some searches I did in the forum due to Kodi limitations. Even then not sure why only the media can't use relative paths to work. Build here have all the assets (roms and media) outside Kodi. That way Kodi or other frontend can use them freely.
Code:

<s_banner />
<s_controller />
<path_title />
<path_boxback />
<path_banner />
<path_flyer />
<path_map />
<path_manual />

application and ROM_path are used only internally by AEL and it's OK you use a relative path. The reason is that Python filesystem functions understand relative paths because the initial path is where the core of the addon is.

s_fanart, s_banner, etc. assets are passed to Kodi strait away. In this case, you need to create a directory inside your profile and use the special protocol. However, I'm not sure if AEL 0.9.8 is prepared to accept the Kodi special protocol. Version 0.10.0 will support ROMs and Assets in remotes, which requires that AEL handles the Kodi special protocol.

You can try to place your assets in a directory in your Kodi profile and use the special protocol in 0.9.8 and tell me how it goes. Otherwise, wait until 0.10.0 is released but I guess 0.10.0 will take at least 5/6 months.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Zastava - 2019-12-05

(2019-12-05, 11:10)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2019-11-28, 13:27)Zastava Wrote: Regarding portability, that is a intriguing possible solution. I'm also afraid that what I wish could be hard or impossible from some searches I did in the forum due to Kodi limitations. Even then not sure why only the media can't use relative paths to work. Build here have all the assets (roms and media) outside Kodi. That way Kodi or other frontend can use them freely.
Code:

<s_banner />
<s_controller />
<path_title />
<path_boxback />
<path_banner />
<path_flyer />
<path_map />
<path_manual />
application and ROM_path are used only internally by AEL and it's OK you use a relative path. The reason is that Python filesystem functions understand relative paths because the initial path is where the core of the addon is.

s_fanart, s_banner, etc. assets are passed to Kodi strait away. In this case, you need to create a directory inside your profile and use the special protocol. However, I'm not sure if AEL 0.9.8 is prepared to accept the Kodi special protocol. Version 0.10.0 will support ROMs and Assets in remotes, which requires that AEL handles the Kodi special protocol.

You can try to place your assets in a directory in your Kodi profile and use the special protocol in 0.9.8 and tell me how it goes. Otherwise, wait until 0.10.0 is released but I guess 0.10.0 will take at least 5/6 months.  
Thank you so much for the reply and explanation. That sounds like a great idea for future 0.10.0 release.
Can you tell me more regarding using a Kodi profile and special protocol? I confess that I read and tried using before special protocol together with sources, but got a little lost and didn't had effect on the relative art assets. I'm interested in trying that solution with a Kodi profile and let you know how it goes. How can I do it with a Kodi profile?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Viss2187 - 2019-12-06

This is probably a terribly easy question to answer, but I’ve been racking my brain and googling skills to no avail. What launcher should I use from the launcher wizard when setting up a new standalone launcher that’s tied to an android apk file?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-12-07

(2019-12-06, 18:59)Viss2187 Wrote: This is probably a terribly easy question to answer, but I’ve been racking my brain and googling skills to no avail. What launcher should I use from the launcher wizard when setting up a new standalone launcher that’s tied to an android apk file?

Since the documentation of AEL is very poor at this moment and that's entirely my fault all questions are welcomed.

Have a look at this and subsequent posts. Unfortunately, Android is the most difficult OS to configure launchers for. I recommend you use XML files for quick testing until you find the right arguments you need.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-12-07

(2019-12-05, 22:49)Zastava Wrote: Thank you so much for the reply and explanation. That sounds like a great idea for future 0.10.0 release.
Can you tell me more regarding using a Kodi profile and special protocol? I confess that I read and tried using before special protocol together with sources, but got a little lost and didn't had effect on the relative art assets. I'm interested in trying that solution with a Kodi profile and let you know how it goes. How can I do it with a Kodi profile?

First have a look here. special://home in Linux points to directory /home/kodi/.kodi/ if your user name is kodi. Inside special://home you have the following:

Code:
$ ls -l /home/kodi/.kodi/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x addons
drwxr-xr-x media
drwxr-xr-x system
drwxr-xr-x temp
drwxr-xr-x userdata

addons is the directory where the addons are installed (Python source code for addons or XML files for skins, etc.). userdata is the directory where your user main profile is located. For example, addons store their data in subdirectories inside userdata.

OK, the first time you have to do is to find the directory pointed by special://home in your portable setup. Once you have located it, create a directory named for example AEL-assets. Then, place your assets:

Code:
/home/kodi/.kodi/AEL-assets/megadrive/icon.png
/home/kodi/.kodi/AEL-assets/megadrive/fanart.png

And then in AEL use the following:

Code:
special://home/AEL-assets/megadrive/icon.png
special://home/AEL-assets/megadrive/fanart.png

Note that Kodi accepts / as directory separator on both Unix and Windows.

I know this is not the best explanation in the world and also keep in mind that I'm sailing blind, I've never used a portable Kodi installation. However, I think this should work at least for launcher artwork. For ROMs artwork I'm not so sure at the moment. If you have more questions please ask.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - AndyHandy - 2019-12-08

Hi

I a launching the BT sport App on my windows HTPC it opens in windowed mode, is there a way to open it in full screen mode, i've searched but can't find an answer
Cheers

Andy

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - il_sisco - 2019-12-08

Hi,

I have unistalled the old 0.9.7 and now i'm trying to install the new stable version 0.9.8, from scratch.

But when i try to create a new launcher (before i can choose the platform) i have this error:

ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.NameError'>
                                            Error Contents: global name 'AEL_platform_list' is not defined
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/addon.py", line 37, in <module>
                                                main.Main().run_plugin()
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 313, in run_plugin
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 405, in run_protected
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 1190, in _command_add_new_launcher
                                                sel_platform = dialog.select('Select the platform', AEL_platform_list)
                                            NameError: global name 'AEL_platform_list' is not defined

Someone can help me?
Thank you

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-12-08

(2019-12-08, 02:39)AndyHandy Wrote: Hi

I a launching the BT sport App on my windows HTPC it opens in windowed mode, is there a way to open it in full screen mode, i've searched but can't find an answer
Cheers

Andy

There should be some command line parameter to launch full screen.

Otherwise, there is one small utility you can use to manipulate windows (set the window full screen, minimise, etc.) Google to find it and then make a CMD file so the utility can control the behaviour of the launched app. In this thread there are some examples of that... lost in the 100ish pages of the thread, hehehe. Use google like this "advanced emulator launcher windows maximise utility site:forum.kodi.tv" to try to locate the posts.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2019-12-08

(2019-12-08, 14:16)il_sisco Wrote: Hi,

I have unistalled the old 0.9.7 and now i'm trying to install the new stable version 0.9.8, from scratch.

But when i try to create a new launcher (before i can choose the platform) i have this error:

ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.NameError'>
                                            Error Contents: global name 'AEL_platform_list' is not defined
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/addon.py", line 37, in <module>
                                                main.Main().run_plugin()
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 313, in run_plugin
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 405, in run_protected
                                              File "/home/kodi/.kodi/addons/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/resources/main.py", line 1190, in _command_add_new_launcher
                                                sel_platform = dialog.select('Select the platform', AEL_platform_list)
                                            NameError: global name 'AEL_platform_list' is not defined

Someone can help me?
Thank you

I think the problem is fixed in github, in the release-0.9.8 branch. Install that version and try.

As a workaround, use an XML to set up your launcher, that should work. Read carefully the first post to know about the XML configuration files.