Kodi Community Forum
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=287826)

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - R.O.H.3000 - 2016-10-19

wow, thank you for you reply. Seems really easy! I tried suggestion 2.

Question though: what platform do I need to select for PC-Games? I chose 'unknown', but no too sure about it ...

but this is great, thank you so much for AEL!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-10-19

You are welcomed, I'm glad it worked for you Big Grin

The Platform is only used by the scrapers. The scraper results will be more accurate if the correct platform is selected. I increased the number of supported platforms to 50 in release 0.9.4, but forgot to include PC games. In 0.9.5 I will add a couple of new platforms, 'Microsoft MS-DOS' and 'Microsoft Windows'. Once 0.9.5 is released, you can edit the launcher and change the platform, the scrapers will work much better.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - R.O.H.3000 - 2016-10-19

ah, that's great. I will wait for the next update then Smile
I have one issue though: I get this error whenever I press to play a title: launching app not found lnk_launcher_app

what exactly is the problem?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - rik81 - 2016-10-19

(2016-10-18, 17:47)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-10-18, 16:05)rik81 Wrote: Hello to all. excuse me for my bad English.

I have installed the latest version of AEL.
The system I use is Libreelec with kodi 17.
I configured AEL, with retroarch.
I can import the games, and I can start them.
I can not see any artwork ... even when importing see download artwork from mobigames.com

Why can not I see no picture? where am I wrong?

In the destination folder of the artwork, I see the downloaded files.

the program will only see the name of the game. some see the kind

thank you and excuse me

For Categories/Launchers the default is to map thumb to thumb and fanart to fanart, so there should be no problem (unless some bug slipped into 0.9.4). For ROMs, probably you have to adjust the defaults, have a look at this post.

If problem persists post again, and be more specific about what you do. For example: 1) In a ROM launcher, I select ROM X. 2) ROM X has boxfront, boxback, etc. and I can see them when I choose context menu "Edit ROM" -> "Set default artwork". 3) However, boxfront does not show up as thumb in Skin YYYYY.

Keep in mind that current Kodi skins only display thumb/fanart or poster/fanart at the same time. Soon there will be views tailored to AEL that make use of all AEL's artwork capabilities Big Grin

thank you so much. following your instructions I can see the images Artwork. only thing ... I can not see anything in MAME. even though I had imported from Mobigames .... even though I had changed address default artwork ... I can not see anything in MAME .... any suggestions? .... sorry but they are ignorant in this ... I am the first weapons in all .... i would just create something beautiful for my children.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - rik81 - 2016-10-19

Thanks again for everything ... I want to clarify that following the directions found here, I was able to start the games with their emulators Retroarch, to show Artwork nes snes n64 genesis sms etc ... only setting that does not work is MAME ... with rom0.139 .... start the games with Mame 2010 by ael ... but I do not see Artwork .... I expect you to understand this ... while I'm trying to learn romlister and crlmamepro and emumovies for perfecting my Artwork .... some advice on this also? thank you

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-10-20

(2016-10-19, 18:49)3000 Wrote: ah, that's great. I will wait for the next update then Smile
I have one issue though: I get this error whenever I press to play a title: launching app not found lnk_launcher_app

what exactly is the problem?

The error you get is because I forgot to disable the app check for ROM LNK launchers, sorry. I have limited access to a Windows machine and do most of the development and testing on my Linux machines, so it's more easy that mistakes like this one slip on Windows. Apparently, you are the first user of the new ROM LNK launchers in Windows. I will fix it soon.

In the mean time and as a workaround: Do not delete the current launcher, it will work on 0.9.5. Now, create a new standard ROM launcher. As launcher application select anything you want (any EXE file from c:/windows/ will do the job, it will be ignored when launching stuff). Rest of launcher parameters the same: ROM LNK path, assets path, etc. It should work right now this way until I fix ROM LNK launchers.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-10-20

(2016-10-19, 20:19)rik81 Wrote: Thanks again for everything ... I want to clarify that following the directions found here, I was able to start the games with their emulators Retroarch, to show Artwork nes snes n64 genesis sms etc ... only setting that does not work is MAME ... with rom0.139 .... start the games with Mame 2010 by ael ... but I do not see Artwork .... I expect you to understand this ... while I'm trying to learn romlister and crlmamepro and emumovies for perfecting my Artwork .... some advice on this also? thank you

If the artwork is working well for non-MAME launchers then it's very strange it does not work for MAME ROMs...

OK, first thing to do is to check the artwork you have. Go to your MAME launcher, select one ROM. Then, context menu "Edit ROM", "Edit Assets/Artwork". You should be able to see the artwork you actually have for that ROM, for example, title, boxfront, boxback. Repeat the same process for a couple more ROMs.

Then, go to the MAME launcher, context menu "Edit Launcher", "Manage ROM list", "Choose ROMs default assets/artwork". Standard Kodi skins only display Thumb and Fanart, some skins display poster and some skins display Banner/Clearlogo. Make sure that Thumb points to the correct ROMs asset and same for fanart. In my setup, for MAME Thumbs point to Title and Fanart points to Snaps. You can download both from Progretto Emma for all MAME ROMs.

Also... a 50 cents worth of advice. Building a complete, beautiful setup is a long process that takes time and patience. If you just want to try a couple of ROMs with one emulator then you will be up an running in 10 minutes. However, having a setup with the 10 most typical consoles plus MAME with, let's say, 20,000 ROMs in total, and reasonably amount of artwork takes a long time.

Finally, AEL is still in development which means there could be significant changes between versions. That's the reason I haven't finished yet some decent tutorials. Once 1.0.0 is released, and maybe some views that fully support AEL are ready, then I plan to write more step by step guides about how to setup things.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - R.O.H.3000 - 2016-10-20

(2016-10-20, 06:41)Wintermute0110 Wrote: The error you get is because I forgot to disable the app check for ROM LNK launchers, sorry. I have limited access to a Windows machine and do most of the development and testing on my Linux machines, so it's more easy that mistakes like this one slip on Windows. Apparently, you are the first user of the new ROM LNK launchers in Windows. I will fix it soon.

In the mean time and as a workaround: Do not delete the current launcher, it will work on 0.9.5. Now, create a new standard ROM launcher. As launcher application select anything you want (any EXE file from c:/windows/ will do the job, it will be ignored when launching stuff). Rest of launcher parameters the same: ROM LNK path, assets path, etc. It should work right now this way until I fix ROM LNK launchers.

Hi again! Unfortunately, that didn't work...Maybe I did it wrong?

I went to "Launcher Advanced Modifications" and selected "Change Application". I seleted WRITE.EXE.
But when I press play on ANY Game, the Kodi folder on desktop opens up... Sad

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - RazorFR - 2016-10-20

It is working here with lnk and even windows apps.

Create a folder with all games links (.lnk) and launcher is defined like that

watch gallery

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - R.O.H.3000 - 2016-10-20

awesome, thank you Razor!

now it works! I just had to add the %rom% argument.

I wanted this for a long time, finally I got it Smile

great tool Wintermute. I'm sure many will use it!!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - rik81 - 2016-10-20

(2016-10-20, 06:53)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-10-19, 20:19)rik81 Wrote: Thanks again for everything ... I want to clarify that following the directions found here, I was able to start the games with their emulators Retroarch, to show Artwork nes snes n64 genesis sms etc ... only setting that does not work is MAME ... with rom0.139 .... start the games with Mame 2010 by ael ... but I do not see Artwork .... I expect you to understand this ... while I'm trying to learn romlister and crlmamepro and emumovies for perfecting my Artwork .... some advice on this also? thank you

If the artwork is working well for non-MAME launchers then it's very strange it does not work for MAME ROMs...

OK, first thing to do is to check the artwork you have. Go to your MAME launcher, select one ROM. Then, context menu "Edit ROM", "Edit Assets/Artwork". You should be able to see the artwork you actually have for that ROM, for example, title, boxfront, boxback. Repeat the same process for a couple more ROMs.

Then, go to the MAME launcher, context menu "Edit Launcher", "Manage ROM list", "Choose ROMs default assets/artwork". Standard Kodi skins only display Thumb and Fanart, some skins display poster and some skins display Banner/Clearlogo. Make sure that Thumb points to the correct ROMs asset and same for fanart. In my setup, for MAME Thumbs point to Title and Fanart points to Snaps. You can download both from Progretto Emma for all MAME ROMs.

Also... a 50 cents worth of advice. Building a complete, beautiful setup is a long process that takes time and patience. If you just want to try a couple of ROMs with one emulator then you will be up an running in 10 minutes. However, having a setup with the 10 most typical consoles plus MAME with, let's say, 20,000 ROMs in total, and reasonably amount of artwork takes a long time.

Finally, AEL is still in development which means there could be significant changes between versions. That's the reason I haven't finished yet some decent tutorials. Once 1.0.0 is released, and maybe some views that fully support AEL are ready, then I plan to write more step by step guides about how to setup things.

thank you ... for your kindness and cordiality, following your instructions I've been successful ... I can see the images Artwork in MAME ... I have the problem that I do not hear sounds when I launch games from ael. .. while I hear the sounds if I launch games from Retroarch. What should I do to hear the audio? I googled for a solution, but I have the problem because they refer to the old AL ... you tell me the solution to have sounds in games of AEL? thanks for everything

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-10-21

(2016-10-20, 23:18)rik81 Wrote: thank you ... for your kindness and cordiality, following your instructions I've been successful ... I can see the images Artwork in MAME ... I have the problem that I do not hear sounds when I launch games from ael. .. while I hear the sounds if I launch games from Retroarch. What should I do to hear the audio? I googled for a solution, but I have the problem because they refer to the old AL ... you tell me the solution to have sounds in games of AEL? thanks for everything

If you found a solution for AL it should work with AEL. AEL is an evolution of AL and keeps compatibility in many aspects. If you need help, you should better describe your problem: what operating system you have, your Kodi version, emulator your are running, version, describe the steps, etc.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - rik81 - 2016-10-21

(2016-10-21, 07:47)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-10-20, 23:18)rik81 Wrote: thank you ... for your kindness and cordiality, following your instructions I've been successful ... I can see the images Artwork in MAME ... I have the problem that I do not hear sounds when I launch games from ael. .. while I hear the sounds if I launch games from Retroarch. What should I do to hear the audio? I googled for a solution, but I have the problem because they refer to the old AL ... you tell me the solution to have sounds in games of AEL? thanks for everything

If you found a solution for AL it should work with AEL. AEL is an evolution of AL and keeps compatibility in many aspects. If you need help, you should better describe your problem: what operating system you have, your Kodi version, emulator your are running, version, describe the steps, etc.

Hello, thanks for the answer.
my operating system is LIBREELEC with kodi 17 krypton.
This is installed on a asrock beebox n3150 with 4gb ram.

Use AEL retroarch 9.4 and 1.3.4 (do not use the latest version 1.3.6 because this has problems with mame2010 (roms 0. 139)

When I start the games from retroarch, I hear the sounds of the games .... all is well.

When I start the games from AEL, all starts except the sounds ... all is silent.

premise: when I was the AL system and retroerch 1.3.4, I had the same problem, I solved by following this procedure (https://sourceforge.net/p/retroarch-openelec/wiki/advlauncher/)

Now I have tried to apply this solution on AEL .... I do not find "\ launcher_plugin.py" in addon \ resouce ...

Have a look at the process which I posted the link to you .... for me it worked on AL .... but do not know how to apply it on AEL because I can not find the files ... plus .... I found the string "xbmc.enableNavSounds (False)" in main.py files .... but when I go to apply and add as solution I posted you ... AEL does not start more.

what should I do ? ... Is a problem of AEL ... solution for addons AL exists and functions

I await your instructions

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2016-10-21

(2016-10-21, 12:48)rik81 Wrote: Hello, thanks for the answer.

Use AEL retroarch 9.4 and 1.3.4 (do not use the latest version 1.3.6 because this has problems with mame2010 (roms 0. 139)

When I start the games from retroarch, I hear the sounds of the games .... all is well.

When I start the games from AEL, all starts except the sounds ... all is silent.

premise: when I was the AL system and retroerch 1.3.4, I had the same problem, I solved by following this procedure (https://sourceforge.net/p/retroarch-openelec/wiki/advlauncher/)

Now I have tried to apply this solution on AEL .... I do not find "\ launcher_plugin.py" in addon \ resouce ...

Have a look at the process which I posted the link to you .... for me it worked on AL .... but do not know how to apply it on AEL because I can not find the files ... plus .... I found the string "xbmc.enableNavSounds (False)" in main.py files .... but when I go to apply and add as solution I posted you ... AEL does not start more.

what should I do ? ... Is a problem of AEL ... solution for addons AL exists and functions

OK, now I understand better what's your problem. launcher_plugin.py has been renamed to main.py in AEL, if you wish to modify it.

In my setup, in order to avoid this kind of problems, I have configured ALSA to output audio throught the HDMI to the TV. For Kodi, I bought a cheap USB sound card I connect to my Denon speakers. All Kodi sounds go to the Denon speakers and all external program sound go to the TV.

If you cannot have separate audio streams, easy solution is to create an ALSA mixer device. You can find more details here. Also, maybe you will need to google a bit.

I removed the suspend audio code in AEL because is causes unnecessary delays when launching programs. However, if you desperately need it I can add an option in "Settings", "Advanced" so you can try.

I won't lie to you... sound problems in Linux can be very frustrating and may require a lot of time, googling and trial/error until you get the solution that works in your system.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - rik81 - 2016-10-21

(2016-10-21, 13:35)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-10-21, 12:48)rik81 Wrote: Hello, thanks for the answer.

OK, now I understand better what's your problem. launcher_plugin.py has been renamed to main.py in AEL, if you wish to modify it.

In my setup, in order to avoid this kind of problems, I have configured ALSA to output audio throught the HDMI to the TV. For Kodi, I bought a cheap USB sound card I connect to my Denon speakers. All Kodi sounds go to the Denon speakers and all external program sound go to the TV.

If you cannot have separate audio streams, easy solution is to create an ALSA mixer device. You can find more details here. Also, maybe you will need to google a bit.

I removed the suspend audio code in AEL because is causes unnecessary delays when launching programs. However, if you desperately need it I can add an option in "Settings", "Advanced" so you can try.

I won't lie to you... sound problems in Linux can be very frustrating and may require a lot of time, googling and trial/error until you get the solution that works in your system.

I saw the link you posted, can not figure out where to find the dmix ALSA plugin to be able to make changes in the link you posted.

I'm very ignorant about this ... I am only 15 days work with linux ... so I do not culture on this .... but despite everything ... I try.

changes to main.py I made following the lead for AL, then AEL does not start

Also could you add an option in "Settings", "Advanced", so I can try?

guide me on this dmix alsa plugin?
my audio_device is "hw 0.3"
I rehearsed with retroarch and this

in the link you posted is the last answer, the solution to my problem ... but I can not find the dmix ALSA plugin to be installed.

I await your news

thank you and excuse me for this