Kodi Community Forum
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=287826)

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2017-05-29

(2017-05-28, 11:01)kpop Wrote: GIG Rufoo ever release the work-in-progress views shown on the front page here?

They are still working on it Wink

In the mean time Estuary AEL MOD is getting pretty decent Big Grin

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2017-05-29

(2017-05-29, 09:57)Turnspit Wrote: I would love to switch over from AL to AEL, but always get an error when trying to import my game lists over to AEL. Is there some kind a log I could provide to get some help? Don't want to add everything from anew...

Probably it's because of a malformed launchers.xml. AL's XML writer was a crafted one that sometimes produces non-standard XML files. Typically the problem is illegal characters in launchers.xml not properly escaped. AEL tries to fix AL launchers.xml before importing but this fix is not perfect. If you want me to have a look send me the launchers.xml that causes the problems and I'll have a look.

Having said that, I do not recommend to use the Advanced Launcher importer any more. AEL supports now much more metadata and assets fields and after doing the importing you will have to do a lot of extra configuration. For example, after importing AEL has only Boxfront and Fanart asset directories configured for every launcher. You will have to create all the remaining assets directories and configure them, which will take a lot of time. If you create the launcher from scratch in AEL you only configure one path and then AEL creates all the asset sub-directories automatically.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Turnspit - 2017-05-29

(2017-05-29, 14:22)Wintermute0110 Wrote: Probably it's because of a malformed launchers.xml. AL's XML writer was a crafted one that sometimes produces non-standard XML files. Typically the problem is illegal characters in launchers.xml not properly escaped. AEL tries to fix AL launchers.xml before importing but this fix is not perfect. If you want me to have a look send me the launchers.xml that causes the problems and I'll have a look.

Having said that, I do not recommend to use the Advanced Launcher importer any more. AEL supports now much more metadata and assets fields and after doing the importing you will have to do a lot of extra configuration. For example, after importing AEL has only Boxfront and Fanart asset directories configured for every launcher. You will have to create all the remaining assets directories and configure them, which will take a lot of time. If you create the launcher from scratch in AEL you only configure one path and then AEL creates all the asset sub-directories automatically.

Alright, went ahead and started from scratch again. Couldnt get any PC games using the LNK mode to be found - am I missing something?

Scraping Gamecube games worked fine, no artwork was downloaded though... Are there any advanced settings I have to fiddle aaround with?

EDIT:

Got the download of covers and artwork working, which is nice!

The problem I've got is with games that were scraped incorrectly. I can edit the metadata and rescrape them as the correct game, but cover and artwork arent changed. Do I have to manually rescrape all the artwork as well for wrongly scraped games?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - zwerty - 2017-05-30

Thanks Wintermute0110 for replying. I am unsure if it caused by kernel panic. Below is the log file I get from Kodi when I tried to run a NES game "Contra".

ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Launching ROM in Launcher...
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Using Launcher standard arguments
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Single ROM detected (no multidisc)
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() ROMFileName OP "var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() ROMFileName P "var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() categoryID root_category
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() launcherID cbcf657d3689085df83c0d0946ec05b0
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romID 271a953c1434d1043937fe7f58091456
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romfile "var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() rompath "var/media/ROMS/NES"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() rombase "Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() rombasenoext "Contra"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romtitle "Contra"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() application "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamerstarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romext "nes|srm"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() raw arguments "fceu"%rom%"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() final arguments "fceu"/var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes""
ERROR: AEL info: fs_write_Favourites_JSON() File special://profile/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/most_played.json
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Launcher is not Kodi Retroplayer.
ERROR: AEL info: _run_procress() Process retcode = -4
ERROR: Unable to find plugin
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://
ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://) failed
ERROR: ExtractFrame: Could not decode a frame
ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
ERROR: Control 55 in windows 10001 has been asked to focus, but it can't
ERROR: EXCEPTION: Non-Existent Control 1

Appreciate further advice on how to resolve the issue.

(2017-05-29, 14:13)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2017-05-27, 17:07)zwerty Wrote: Hi all, I just upgrade my Kodi (v15.2 Isengard to v17.1 Krypton) and Openelec (v6.0.3 to v8.0.3) f today on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.
Everything works except for retro gaming.

Previously, I used Advanced Launcher with Retroarch v1.3 to play NES/SNES/Sega roms.
After I upgraded to Krypton, Advanced Launcher failed to work. Each time, I use Advanced Launcher to play a game, Kodi reboots.
I read that Advanced Launcher is incompatible with Krypton and so I installed AEL. However, AEL gives the same problem, i.e., each time I launch a rom, Kodi reboots.

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you all.

That's a very weird problem. Is the reboot caused by a kernel panic? Do you see an screen like this one?

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2017-05-31

(2017-05-30, 04:26)zwerty Wrote: Thanks Wintermute0110 for replying. I am unsure if it caused by kernel panic. Below is the log file I get from Kodi when I tried to run a NES game "Contra".

ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Launching ROM in Launcher...
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Using Launcher standard arguments
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Single ROM detected (no multidisc)
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() ROMFileName OP "var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() ROMFileName P "var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() categoryID root_category
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() launcherID cbcf657d3689085df83c0d0946ec05b0
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romID 271a953c1434d1043937fe7f58091456
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romfile "var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() rompath "var/media/ROMS/NES"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() rombase "Contra.nes"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() rombasenoext "Contra"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romtitle "Contra"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() application "/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamerstarter/resources/bin/libretro-cores"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() romext "nes|srm"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() raw arguments "fceu"%rom%"
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() final arguments "fceu"/var/media/ROMS/NES/Contra.nes""
ERROR: AEL info: fs_write_Favourites_JSON() File special://profile/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher/most_played.json
ERROR: AEL info: _command_run_rom() Launcher is not Kodi Retroplayer.
ERROR: AEL info: _run_procress() Process retcode = -4
ERROR: Unable to find plugin
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://
ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://) failed
ERROR: ExtractFrame: Could not decode a frame
ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
ERROR: Control 55 in windows 10001 has been asked to focus, but it can't
ERROR: EXCEPTION: Non-Existent Control 1

Appreciate further advice on how to resolve the issue.

There is something going on in the log. Kodi produces some errors I have never seen before.

Are you using a window manager to run Kodi OR are you using Kodi in standalone mode without a window manager? In order to use AEL, AML or any other launcher like IARL you must use a window manager OR use a wrapper script to close Kodi before the emulator starts.

To test if you are using a window manager, go to Kodi settings, System settings, Display. In Display mode select "Windowed" instead of "Full screen". After selecting Windowed display mode, Kodi will resize itself to a window. Does this window have a border and the Maximise, Minimise an Close buttons? If so you are running a window manager. If you just see Kodi as a rectangle withouth a border that cannot be moved then you are not running a window manager. Then, you should check on the Openelec forums about configuring a window manager (I recommend openbox). Another solution is to use a launcher script that closes Kodi, launches the emulator/app, and then relaunches Kodi when the emulator finishes.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Turnspit - 2017-06-01

Cheers!

After some fiddling around with AEL I somewhat got the hang of it and managed to get my emulators running like before in AL. Still got some questions:

1)
The emulator launch arguments - is there a list or something with the arguments for the emulators? AL used to have a wiki with all of the common emulators and their arguments etc. listed, but it is long offline. I was able to get some informations of the wiki through the internet archive, but many subpages weren't archived and are notaccessible anymore...

2)
Is it possible to use AEL as some kind of Favourites-launcher? Used to use AL to organize my concerts, since this didn't work with Kodi as I wanted it to.

3)
I still have problems getting my PC games (LNK) to work. Could someone give me some hints?

4)
The scraping still feels somewhat complicated and unripe to me. First off, the ROM file names aren't replaced with the scraped names, why is that? I've got a ROM called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3" for SNES for example, which in real should be called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project". After scraping, the games name is still displayed as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3" - AL used to replace that name with the scraped one.
When games are scraped incorrectly, I have a very hard time to get them right. The only and "easiest" way for me is to delete all those incorrectly scraped ROMs, change metadata- as well as artwork-scraping to semi-automatic and rescan. This way, I have to select to correct game for each game like 10 times to get the metadata and each of the artwork categories, which is very inconvenient. With AL I just had to select the correct game while scraping once, and all the artwork would be downloaded according to my choice. It would be nice if AEL would automatically choose the artworks according to which game I chose while scraping the metadata.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - ewookie - 2017-06-02

I have AEL installed and configured in Kodi on my Windows PC. Love it.

Any chance future versions will be easier to configure on Android? Without having to import/export/edit xml files?

Maybe there is a way to allow browsing Kodi Favorites when it comes time to specify the app? Then pull the required info from there?

Maybe I've missed something and there is an easier way. I'm using a 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV. If anyone can help me out, I would be so grateful.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2017-06-02

(2017-06-01, 08:56)Turnspit Wrote: 1) The emulator launch arguments - is there a list or something with the arguments for the emulators? AL used to have a wiki with all of the common emulators and their arguments etc. listed, but it is long offline. I was able to get some informations of the wiki through the internet archive, but many subpages weren't archived and are notaccessible anymore...

The AEL-asset-library has configurations for over 50 emulators. I am a Linux user so currently Linux is most complete operating system. I expect people that successfully configure an emulator for a particular OS to help contributing to the library for the benefit of everyone Wink

Unfortunately Angelscry took everything down for unknown reasons so we have to start from scratch again. I believe that the XML configuration of emulators/lunchers is a big advantage of AEL over AL that make people life's easier, especially for users with big setups with many emulators/platforms.

One day I will have time to improve AEL's wiki in Github so it will be easier to setup AEL. I have been very busy with development, though...

(2017-06-01, 08:56)Turnspit Wrote: 2) Is it possible to use AEL as some kind of Favourites-launcher? Used to use AL to organize my concerts, since this didn't work with Kodi as I wanted it to.

AEL should be able to launch everything that AL launched, so in theory yes. Can you describe how you organise your concerts and how they should be launched (what was the application you introduced when creating the launcher in AL)?

(2017-06-01, 08:56)Turnspit Wrote: 3) I still have problems getting my PC games (LNK) to work. Could someone give me some hints?

You must choose the launcher to be an LNK launcher and is should work out of the box. Please export your launchers config in XML and post it if you want me to have a look.

(2017-06-01, 08:56)Turnspit Wrote: 4) The scraping still feels somewhat complicated and unripe to me. First off, the ROM file names aren't replaced with the scraped names, why is that? I've got a ROM called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3" for SNES for example, which in real should be called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project". After scraping, the games name is still displayed as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3" - AL used to replace that name with the scraped one.
When games are scraped incorrectly, I have a very hard time to get them right. The only and "easiest" way for me is to delete all those incorrectly scraped ROMs, change metadata- as well as artwork-scraping to semi-automatic and rescan. This way, I have to select to correct game for each game like 10 times to get the metadata and each of the artwork categories, which is very inconvenient. With AL I just had to select the correct game while scraping once, and all the artwork would be downloaded according to my choice. It would be nice if AEL would automatically choose the artworks according to which game I chose while scraping the metadata.

Go to addon settings, "ROM scanner" tab, make sure option "Ignore Scrapper Titles (use ROM filenames instead)" is OFF.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Wintermute0110 - 2017-06-02

(2017-06-02, 03:07)ewookie Wrote: Any chance future versions will be easier to configure on Android? Without having to import/export/edit xml files?

Maybe there is a way to allow browsing Kodi Favorites when it comes time to specify the app? Then pull the required info from there?

Maybe I've missed something and there is an easier way. I'm using a 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV. If anyone can help me out, I would be so grateful.

I'm afraid not. Technically Kodi Favourites store addon URLs and not any other data. The XML configurations are already a big step forward and if you organise the directories layout properly configuration is very quick.

The other option is to include the configurations hard-coded, like RCB and IARL. However, that will decrease the flexibility of the plugin (for example, you have to install Retroarch or MAME at specific places in your system) and maintaining such a big list of configurations for many operating systems will be difficult. I believe the current model, small XML configurations for each emulator/OS in Github is flexible and convenient but I'm open to discuss new ideas of course.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - nonob - 2017-06-02

Hi Smile

I'm an advanced launcher user. I use it since several years to launche my PC and Emulators games. It seems that the project isn't maintened anymore and the addon isn't working on Kodi 17, but i'm surprise that it seem to work for me.

Anyway, i've just discovered this thread about "Advanced Emulator Launcher" and if i'm right, it is a AL's fork.

Making some research, i also read about "Rom Collection Browser" and "Internet Archive ROM Launcher".

So i'm a little confused and i have some questions :

1-Is it normal that my advanced launcher continue to work ? What shouldn't be working with Kodi 17 ?
2-Should i use advanced emulator launcher instead ?
3-Can AEL launch PC game as well ?
4-About Rom Collection browser : is it always maintened ? Whats the difference between RCB and AL/AEL ? Which should i use ?
6-About Internet Archive ROM Launcher. If i'm right it is different as it include emulator to run games inside Kodi interface, but it can't launch PC games, isn't it ?

Thanks for your explanations Smile

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: Anyway, i've just discovered this thread about "Advanced Emulator Launcher" and if i'm right, it is a AL's fork.

Your are right. AEL started as an AL's fork. Now, it has grown and diverged from AL a lot.

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: Making some research, i also read about "Rom Collection Browser" and "Internet Archive ROM Launcher".

You forgot Advanced MAME Launcher and HyperLauncher Wink There is also another launcher called Featherence Emu but I haven't tried it yet.

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: 1-Is it normal that my advanced launcher continue to work ? What shouldn't be working with Kodi 17 ?

I believe the main problem of Advanced Launcher regarding Kodi 17 was some handling of the addon URLs. Some people have reported that AL didn't work at all in Kodi 17 but it seems not to be the case. Anyway, I kept using AL until a year ago and currently I do not use it anymore not have it installed, so there's not much I can tell you.

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: 2-Should i use advanced emulator launcher instead ?

That's up to you. If you are happy with AL and it works well keep using it. AEL offers much more features than AL. You can have both of them installed on your system so it's perfectly fine to try AEL whilst you use AL regularly.

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: 3-Can AEL launch PC game as well ?

Of course. AEL is a general launcher like AL and can launch any application. On Windows, LNK files are also supported. AEL also supports Kodi Retroplayer.

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: 4-About Rom Collection browser : is it always maintened ? Whats the difference between RCB and AL/AEL ? Which should i use ?

RCB has not been developed from over a couple of years. Some months ago Malte (RCB main developer) did a small maintenance release to patch some problems with Kodi 17.

Again, the launcher plugin you use is up to you. Here are some guidelines:

1) AEL started as a fork of AL. Eventually, it has grown a lot and incorporated some features from RCB. I myself was a user of AL and RCB and grown tired of both so AEL combines the best of both with additional features.

2) Advanced MAME Launcher is perfect if you want to use MAME. It is also very easy to setup.

3) IARL is good because it has preloaded lists of ROMs and those ROMs can be downloaded on the fly from the Internet Archive. In AEL/AML/AL/RCB, you need to have the ROMs in your disk.

4) HyperLauncher is perfect if you are a HyperSpin user and want to have a version of HyperSpin running on Kodi. It is difficult to setup, though.

Having said that, nothing prevents you from having two or more launcher plugins installed in your box so you can try all of them until you find one or several you like best.

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: 6-About Internet Archive ROM Launcher. If i'm right it is different as it include emulator to run games inside Kodi interface, but it can't launch PC games, isn't it ?

IARL is mainly designed for Kodi Retroplayer. Kodi will integrate the Retroarch cores in Kodi 18 Leia so you will be able to play ROMs as if they were movies or MP3 files. Additionally, you can configure external emulators on IARL (mainly Retroarch).

(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: Thanks for your explanations Smile

You are welcomed.

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Turnspit - 2017-06-02

Thanks for the response wintermute, you are doing great work!

This is the XML export:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>

-<advanced_emulator_launcher_configuration>

-<launcher>

<name>Gamecube</name>

<category>Games</category>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Nintendo GameCube</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe</application>

<args>/b /e "%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\Gamecube\ROM\</rompath>

<romext>iso</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\GC</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>Nintendo 64</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Nintendo 64</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\Project64 2.2 Portable\Project64.exe</application>

<args>"%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\Nintendo 64\ROMS\</rompath>

<romext>n64|z64|v64</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\N64</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>Nintendo Entertainment System</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Nintendo NES</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\Nestopia\nestopia.exe</application>

<args>"%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\NES\ROMS\</rompath>

<romext>nes</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\NES</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>PC</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Microsoft Windows</platform>

<application>lnk_launcher_app</application>

<args>%rom%</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\PC GAMES\</rompath>

<romext>lnk</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\PC</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>Playstation</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Sony PlayStation</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\ePSXe 2.0.0\ePSXe.exe</application>

<args>-nogui -loadiso "%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\Playstation\ISO\</rompath>

<romext>img|cue</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\PS1</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>Playstation 2</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Sony PlayStation 2</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\PCSX2 1.4.0\pcsx2.exe</application>

<args>"%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\Playstation 2\ISO\</rompath>

<romext>iso|bin</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\PS2</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>Super Nintendo</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Nintendo SNES</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\snes9x v1.53\snes9x-x64.exe</application>

<args>-fullscreen "%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\SNES\ROMS\</rompath>

<romext>smc|sfc</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\SNES</path_assets>

</launcher>

-<launcher>

<name>Wii</name>

<year/>

<genre/>

<studio/>

<rating/>

<plot/>

<platform>Nintendo Wii</platform>

<application>C:\Programme\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe</application>

<args>/b /e "%rom%"</args>

<args_extra/>

<rompath>E:\Wii\ROM\</rompath>

<romext>iso|wad</romext>

<path_assets>C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\GAME PICS\Wii</path_assets>

</launcher>

</advanced_emulator_launcher_configuration>

It recognize all the LNK files and scrapes them, but the launcher is empty afterwards...

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - ewookie - 2017-06-03

(2017-06-02, 12:00)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2017-06-02, 03:07)ewookie Wrote: Any chance future versions will be easier to configure on Android? Without having to import/export/edit xml files?

I'm afraid not. Technically Kodi Favourites store addon URLs and not any other data. The XML configurations are already a big step forward and if you organise the directories layout properly configuration is very quick.

The other option is to include the configurations hard-coded, like RCB and IARL. However, that will decrease the flexibility of the plugin (for example, you have to install Retroarch or MAME at specific places in your system) and maintaining such a big list of configurations for many operating systems will be difficult. I believe the current model, small XML configurations for each emulator/OS in Github is flexible and convenient but I'm open to discuss new ideas of course.
Hey! Thanks for the quick and good reply! I think your post above the one I'm quoting is going to be SUPER helpful to me! I had searched for some xml examples for Android but couldn't find any. The AEL Asset Library looks like it might be all I need. I can usually figure out a great deal of things with a good, complete example. Thanks!

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - ewookie - 2017-06-03

Hi! It's me again Smile
I looked at the Android example xml launcher files in the AEL Asset Library. They are all for RetroArch. I don't use RetroArch. I use the following: com.explusalpha.NesEmu, com.explusalpha.GbaEmu, com.explusalpha.MdEmu, com.explusalph.Snes9xPlus.

If anyone has an example xml launcher file for any one of those, please share! Please? Pretty pleaseHuh Tongue

I tried the following but it did not work. I'm on Kodi 17.3 on a 2nd gen Fire TV if that matters.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advanced_emulator_launcher_configuration>
<launcher>
  <name>NES</name>
  <category>Nintendo</category>  
  <application>/system/bin/am</application>
  <args>start -n com.explusalpha.NesEmu/com.imagine.BaseActivity -a android.intent.action.VIEW -eu Uri "file://%rom%"</args>
  <args_extra></args_extra>
  <romext>zip|nes</romext>
  <rompath>/sdcard/roms/games/nes</rompath>
  <path_assets>/sdcard/roms/assets/nes</path_assets>
</launcher>

EDIT:
Nevermind! I got it to work with the following! Big Grin
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advanced_emulator_launcher_configuration>
<launcher>
  <name>NES</name>
  <category>Nintendo</category>  
  <application>/system/bin/am</application>
  <args>start --user 0 -n com.explusalpha.NesEmu/com.imagine.BaseActivity -a android.intent.action.VIEW -eu Uri "file://%rom%"</args>
  <args_extra></args_extra>
  <romext>zip|nes</romext>
  <rompath>/sdcard/roms/games/nes</rompath>
  <path_assets>/sdcard/roms/assets/nes</path_assets>
</launcher>

RE: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi - Girgl - 2017-06-04

(2017-06-02, 17:05)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2017-06-02, 12:31)nonob Wrote: 4-About Rom Collection browser : is it always maintened ? Whats the difference between RCB and AL/AEL ? Which should i use ?

RCB has not been developed from over a couple of years. Some months ago Malte (RCB main developer) did a small maintenance release to patch some problems with Kodi 17.

So RCB now actually works with Kodi 17? Because I waited to switch from 16 to 17 on my main gaming rig because I was under the impression that RCB didn't work there. To be honest Wintermute, I really appreciate all the work you are putting into AEL, but for me it just didn't work so well. The setup is not very straight forward, and I haven't managed yet to show screenshots of the games in the list for mame or any other emulator. I'm still watching this space though, hoping that there will be a version which could work for me, or that Kodi 18 will finally bring integrated emulator support which actually works.