Kodi Community Forum
New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion (/showthread.php?tid=288321)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - trogggy - 2016-09-24

(2016-09-24, 11:35)robwebset Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 11:22)trogggy Wrote: When (if) this repo gets off the ground developers sign up to it on the basis that if they're in it their add-ons can also be put in the official repo (if Team Kodi so desire).
This would certainly count me out of this repo - although I do admit it is generally a good idea. I want to determine where my addons reside.
Nah, you'd just make sure every add-on has a keymap switcheroo in it. Big Grin

Edit: I didn't put that out there as (even close to) a finished concept, it was just a thought that popped up reading Hitcher's comment. Maybe a box to tick if you don't want to be in the official repo but the default is that it can be...?

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - robwebset - 2016-09-24

(2016-09-24, 11:38)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 11:35)robwebset Wrote:
(2016-09-24, 11:22)trogggy Wrote: When (if) this repo gets off the ground developers sign up to it on the basis that if they're in it their add-ons can also be put in the official repo (if Team Kodi so desire).
This would certainly count me out of this repo - although I do admit it is generally a good idea. I want to determine where my addons reside.
Nah, you'd just make sure every add-on has a keymap switcheroo in it. Big Grin

Like it!! Big Grin - made me chuckle!

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - L0RE - 2016-09-24

I would like "Unstable Addons" or "Unstable Repo"

What suggests it could Break your system, but they meant not to do ....

For Updates, i would also Suggest Webhooks for Updates

Many Users don't want to give Up their Repo, often they Update their Repo. and Fforget to Push the Newest Version,or just bius every XY Version.. Via Webhook, it could be done automatically. Specially when the Addon has Proofen as good, would be a good solution

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - PatK - 2016-09-25

[POV] Like the idea of a step up unofficial repro over a step down (far easier to pick out the best add-ons for official inclusion), faster access to those who agree with the sign on and sign in; (warning) for the unofficial legal repository. Give new add-on developers the encouragement and immediate user base to get feedback on multiple platforms, let them defend themselves in their own thread. Protections are important, but you've got to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - Ned Scott - 2016-09-28

It's pretty obvious that certain people on Team Kodi feel threatened by this repo and will "ban" it and any related discussion as soon as it actually comes into existence. We need to find another forum to discuss this.

Anyone interested in this project please e-mail me at ned (at) nedscott (dot) com. That way you can be informed of future developments and a new place to discuss this.

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - robwebset - 2016-09-28

(2016-09-28, 00:18)Ned Scott Wrote: It's pretty obvious that certain people on Team Kodi feel threatened by this repo and will "ban" it and any related discussion as soon as it actually comes into existence. We need to find another forum to discuss this.

Where's your sense of adventure? Big Grin

Think positively!! There is always an outside chance that Martijn and Ronie have left the Kodi project by the time the repo goes live Tongue

I think it should be kept here, aren't you interested to see how it's actually handled when it goes live?

Rob

They'll just close the thread and put it in the trash. I've seen that happen already. I'm tired of the games. I'm tired of trying to push for change. I'm tired of being their punching bag.

The only reason this repo hasn't happened yet is because I figured it was best to go slow, to let the idea sink in. That was in hopes of it not being seen as a threat, or a source of confrontation/conflict (the goal was to avoid conflict and splitting the community). Now I see how pointless that was.

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - robwebset - 2016-09-28

OK, but how about this.

One of us create a repo now. e.g. "Trusted Developer Repo" and then decide on a list of addon developers (keeping it small) that are interested in being part of the repo. Then put all the developers addons in that repo and create a new forum post describing the repo and a wiki page something like:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Repository:robwebset

That details what is in the repo, as it's only "Trusted Developers" (In our opinion) we don't perform any checking for now. Rules would be simple:

1) Each Addon needs a Wiki page detailing what the addon does (I think this is essential as it makes it clear what each addon does)
2) Each Addon has a forum page to provide support from (Mine fail this check at the moment)
3) The Addon Wiki and forum page points to the "Trusted Developer Repo" as the official place to get the Addon - a developer/beta repository can also be maintained if the user wishes.

So it really is that simple - every update would be manual for now (hence the small size) - then we see what happens - a nice front-end could be added later if required and more addon developers could be granted access as time goes by. (This is sort of putting the selection on the developers reputation, rather than the addon content)

That way if "you know who" decides to trash it - then not too much work has gone into it. (But still the principles are in place to move it if needed)

Rob

P.S. Lets not start a debate about who decides the list of developers - at the moment, lets say it's Ned and myself. (User has be be approved by both people)

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - zag - 2016-09-28

So as a first step I have introduced the idea of Add-on Logo and Banner artwork for 3rd party Add-ons:

Logo Request Thread - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=292321
Banners Request Thread - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=292320

Lets see how the interest is in that first. The idea being that these banners could be shown on a future Add-on website and inside Kodi.

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - Ned Scott - 2016-10-02

I'm cautiously optimistic that things might be able to move forward.

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - robwebset - 2016-10-02

Well, looks like ronie has killed all my threads again!

ronie - what was your reason this time?

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - Pasado - 2016-10-02

(2016-10-02, 04:10)robwebset Wrote: Well, looks like ronie has killed all my threads again!

ronie - what was your reason this time?

+1

I agree with robwebset, time to grow up ronie and start acting like a professional.

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - mikeSiLVO - 2016-10-02

I am just gonna say it...

Enough with this crap. If someone thinks ronie or Martijn has it in for them then they should prove it by re-adding any non-rule breaking add-ons to the Kodi repo and see what happens.

If they are not willing to do that then this has to stop... If you happen to be using using Kodi resources to provide support for any add-ons while also asking for and accepting donations then just adhere to the rules regardless of your opinion.

This is so silly that I don't care who started what, thinks what, has a grudge against whom... Everyone is arguing over non-sense.

To anyone who wants to fight about what I posted... It doesn't matter who is right, wrong, or thinks they know what happened... The only thing that matters is the end result.

To quote my Father... "Why cut your nose to spite your face?"

Jeez... My Father is a preachy son of a... Tongue

RE: New "common" but unofficial add-on repo discussion - Ned Scott - 2016-10-02

(2016-10-02, 09:11)mikeSiLVO Wrote: I am just gonna say it...

Enough with this crap. If someone thinks ronie or Martijn has it in for them then they should prove it by re-adding any non-rule breaking add-ons to the Kodi repo and see what happens.

If they are not willing to do that then this has to stop... If you happen to be using using Kodi resources to provide support for any add-ons while also asking for and accepting donations then just adhere to the rules regardless of your opinion.

This is so silly that I don't care who started what, thinks what, has a grudge against whom... Everyone is arguing over non-sense.

To anyone who wants to fight about what I posted... It doesn't matter who is right, wrong, or thinks they know what happened... The only thing that matters is the end result.

To quote my Father... "Why cut your nose to spite your face?"

Jeez... My Father is a preachy son of a... Tongue

No, mike, that is BS. This isn't a "all sides are wrong, come on guys, let's get along" situation. Ronie made it personal, and if you can't see that then you are blind. This isn't non-sense. Rob doesn't care if they don't like him, and I don't think he has any strong feelings about them personally. He just wants to do his add-on thing like he's always done. So what on earth are you talking about? What thread did you mean to post in?

If all of this is just to force him to re-add his add-ons to the Kodi.tv repo that's even worse. Why would you think that would make everything alright? Even if he did do that, ronie is just going to move the goal posts again and reject them. The only one trying to play this as fair, by the rules, and not as a personal issue, is robwebset.

Also, "Kodi resources" would not exist without the community. They make this forum, they make the content on the wiki, they help the users, and they pay a huge chunk of real money to keep things going. That doesn't mean they can dictate every little thing, sure, but they do have the right to be upset about a situation like this. Don't belittle their position on this.

EDIT: I'm sorry for the strong words, but this situation is beyond frustrating.