Kodi Community Forum
"Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 (/showthread.php?tid=288571)

Pages: 1 2

"Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - livs - 2016-08-28

I just order a device with S905 and also I have plans for a C2.
These days I find that S905 was fake advertise as 2Ghz 4 core SOC: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=23044&start=50
My question is if this issue affects Kodi/Libreelec or is just a small problem as from media player point of view only GPU matters.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - mo123 - 2016-08-28

For video playback only the VPU matters.
But from a performance perspective all S905, S912(and S905X, but these were reported as 1.5Ghz on several places already) devices will be around 25% slower than what was advertised.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/08/28/amlogic-s905-and-s912-processors-appear-to-be-limited-to-1-5-ghz-not-2-ghz-as-advertised/
It just makes you wonder what else Amlogic is lying about or hiding.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - Ned Scott - 2016-08-29

S905 (and the whole S900 series) will run Kodi's GUI and various non-video functions very well, even at the default CPU clock.

I think the only reason anyone advertised their S905 products as "up to 2Ghz" was because it was on the spec sheet from Amlogic. Even if the Amlogic-provided kernel allowed up to 2GHz, nearly all of the products out there with S905 default to 1.5 GHz or lower. The user would have to tinker with things to change that setting, and it might even require installing a different OS than what the product ships with (depending on how locked down said OS is).

As mo123 says, the real draw of the S905 is the VPU. Otherwise, people would be still using the Amlogic S812, which has a faster CPU, but a weaker VPU feature set.

Still, it's pretty messed up. Even when HardKernel tested real OC settings, they couldn't get a stable 2GHz, which means Amlogic was being deceptive. I don't know if it's a straight up lie (AML might argue that in the right conditions 2GHz can be stable), but the truth was being obscured. It's still too early to say what is exactly happening, and maybe there is still a chance for stable 2GHz on these products, but either way Amlogic has a lot of explaining to do.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - livs - 2016-08-29

Thank you guys, it is all i want to know.
About faking of specification is another subject.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - gsmtech - 2016-09-01

Not just S905 either, the S905X and S912 are also affected. The BL3x blobs where the CPU frequencies are controlled , from what I've read from sources around the net are closed source code which vendors don't have the complete source code to. amlogic modify the BL3x code at request of vendors.
There's no talk anywhere of 2ghz even being an achievable option 1.7ghz apparently being investigated by HK in conjunction with amlogic according to CNX Software.
So far Hard Kernel are the only vendor that seems to be publicly acknowledging the issue and engaging in discussion with end users on their forums. They have also apparently updated their product descriptions to say S905 is 1.5ghz.
The question becomes if S905 is limited to 1.5ghz if your just using kodi , do you really need to spend extra on an odroid C2 vs Rpi3 ? Sure if the extra RAM and emmc modules appeal to you but otherwise no... Not really

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - wrxtasy - 2016-09-01

The 2160p, 10bit HEVC users and HD Audio Passthrough guys using LE on the ODROID C2 would very likely disagree vs buying a RPi3. eMMC when scrolling through a large media Library with lots of Thumbnails and Artwork makes a noticeable difference vs SD only performance too.

I've kept quite till now as even this GHz "Discovery" has not degraded LibreELEC Kodi performance on the S905 series of devices at all as they have a pretty decent GPU/VPU already. This is what you need sorted for a decent Kodi media player, let the GPU/VPU do all the grunt work.

The extra performance so far as LE Kodi on AML S905 is concerned with a true 2GHz CPU would be some 1080p H264 Hi10P Anime may be able to be possibly software decoded.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - Theguyuk - 2016-09-01

Can you trust AMLogic devices being electrically safe, with the manufacturer being so eager to cut corners?

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - trogggy - 2016-09-01

(2016-09-01, 14:28)Theguyuk Wrote: Can you trust AMLogic devices being electrically safe, with the manufacturer being so eager to cut corners?
I'd trust them a lot more than I'd trust someone who registers here just to make posts about amlogic.

I'd trust amlogic-based devices from reputable manufacturers with decent (properly certified) power supplies to be electrically safe about as much as I'd trust any piece of electronics.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - gsmtech - 2016-09-01

If Amlogic lied about the clock speed on their CPU's what else did they potentially lie about that may not have been discovered yet ? 1.5ghz vs 2ghz isn't a small difference it's 25%
How well did "reputable" companies do in discovering this issue ? As of yet have any of them attempted to compensate affected customers ? I see nothing but silence except from Hard Kernel who fair play to them have admitted they they should have spotted this issue and are actively engaging with Amlogic and end users. As mentioned HK have updated their material to state that the S905 is a 1.5ghz SOC.
Other companies may well be talking to Amlogic behind the scenes but I haven't seen any acknowledgement of the issue or attempt to engage with customers on their behalf. Their websites still advertise the products they sell with the affected Amlogic SOC's as 2 GHz.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - Ned Scott - 2016-09-02

There is no action to take yet. Most venders advertised "up to 2GHz", and for all we know this is still possible (a sort of single-active-core temp boost to 2Hgz could make the statement technically true). You're not going to hear anything from companies until they know what is going on. It is reasonable to ask if Amlogic is being deceptive about anything else, but it's just a question at this point, not a conclusion. It's not like this hasn't happened before, and with much larger companies. Marketing deception is bad and makes me angry too, but it's hardly something that keeps me up at night.

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - noggin - 2016-09-02

Yes. And real world experience with the S905 is incredibly positive, which is the basis for a lot of people recommending them.

They haven't suddenly stopped doing a great job at video playback. They haven't stopped playing 2160/60p 10 bit HEVC and outputting it over HDMI 2.0 connections at an incredibly low price point...

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - Theguyuk - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-01, 15:27)gsmtech Wrote: If Amlogic lied about the clock speed on their CPU's what else did they potentially lie about that may not have been discovered yet ? 1.5ghz vs 2ghz isn't a small difference it's 25%
How well did "reputable" companies do in discovering this issue ? As of yet have any of them attempted to compensate affected customers ? I see nothing but silence except from Hard Kernel who fair play to them have admitted they they should have spotted this issue and are actively engaging with Amlogic and end users. As mentioned HK have updated their material to state that the S905 is a 1.5ghz SOC.
Other companies may well be talking to Amlogic behind the scenes but I haven't seen any acknowledgement of the issue or attempt to engage with customers on their behalf. Their websites still advertise the products they sell with the affected Amlogic SOC's as 2 GHz.

Well box resellers will want to bury the facts and play it down, they have stock to still sell and won't want to give customers money back!

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - trogggy - 2016-09-02

(2016-09-02, 13:39)Theguyuk Wrote:
(2016-09-01, 15:27)gsmtech Wrote: If Amlogic lied about the clock speed on their CPU's what else did they potentially lie about that may not have been discovered yet ? 1.5ghz vs 2ghz isn't a small difference it's 25%

Well box resellers will want to bury the facts and play it down, they have stock to still sell and won't want to give customers money back!
Sure they will.
But that doesn't mean there's a genuine issue here for kodi users.

Do you post about anything other than how horrible Amlogic are btw?

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - Koying - 2016-09-02

Revenge of the rockchip guys? Tongue

RE: "Fake" 2 Ghz for S905 - wrxtasy - 2016-09-02

Or maybe there is an Allwinner mole inside AML these days, plotting and scheming ? Wink