Kodi Community Forum
v17 Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: v17 Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update (/showthread.php?tid=289498)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - b1ggles - 2017-01-16

I was getting the terrible stuttering on 24P with my GT520 in 17, all fine in previous versions. Did a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers from December and also set the Power options to High Performance as suggested in the above link...all is now as it should be, yay. Don't know which of those two changes made the difference or if it was a combination of both.

Now just got the problem of Kodi exiting to a black screen instead Smile

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - afedchin - 2017-01-16

(2017-01-16, 15:06)b1ggles Wrote: Now just got the problem of Kodi exiting to a black screen instead Smile
check Debug Log what is blocking Kodi to exit

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - am2015 - 2017-01-16

@afedchin: have checked the suggested solution with the power option set to high performance, but unfortunately it does not solve the issue. No power settings in BIOS active. I did run several tests:

1. Fullscreen Window DXVA2 active: terrible stuttering. When OSD is active/displayed NO stuttering at all. Regardless if sync to screen is active or not.
2. Fullscreen Window Software renderer: nearly no stuttering but CPU on 100% (this is not the case in Jarvis). Regardless if sync to screen is active or not.
3. Fullscreen mode DXVA2 active: some stuttering. When OSD active NO stuttering at all. Regardless if sync to screen is active or not.
4. Fullscreen with software renderer: same as 2. Regardless if sync to screen is active or not.
5. KodiSetup-20160401-0436322-master > no stuttering at all regardless in which mode.

Do you want me to provide a debug log?

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - goodton - 2017-01-18

This Power Option actually can solve some of these stuttering problems for certain setups in HW-decoding mode. The actual setting, which is the main contributor here, can be found under Windows Power Options -> Advanced Settings -> Processor Power Management Settings. In Balanced and Power Saving Mode the Minimum Processor State by default is set to 5% and in High Performance Mode this setting is 100%. The Maximum Processor State is in all settings by default 100%. In practice this controls how effectively the processor management will be taken in to use = how much clock speed will fluctuate according the work load. It seems that when the Minimum Processor State is set higher value or even to max 100%, stuttering issue can be resolved. If the processor clock speed is allowed to change more, stuttering will happen more likely. Although the HW-decoding is taking big amount of workload from CPU, CPU is still participating and the load will change. Also when there is additional stuff on screen, for example OSD and if Kodi is in windowed Fullscreen-mode, there is a little bit more load on CPU -> the CPU clock speed will be more stable -> less stuttering will happen. In software decoding mode CPU is of course working fully.

This is just a theory, but could it be so that video processing with HW-decoding in Kodi 17 can be quite picky about the CPU speed and especially to the CHANGE of clock speed, which with modern processor is quite quick event and happens a lot? Is this some kind of tricky timing issue, which our Kodi Videoplayer-experts could take a look into?

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - am2015 - 2017-01-21

@goodton: Well, powermanagment may be involved here. It works without issues in Jarvis. I did set everything to high performance anyway and all power saving is deactivated in BIOS. What seems strange, that the stuttering goes away or when OSD is active:
OSD active no or very little stuttering.
OSD goes away results in heavy stuttering. So everytime OSD is there there's no stuttering.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - goodton - 2017-01-21

Very similar issue was discussed in this thread on Linux-section about a month ago:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=299115

As I was also experiencing this same issue in Windows 10 x64, I participated into this discussion and also supplied some debug logs for bug hunting. As an end result @FernetMenta and @afedchin were able to code some clever fixes to Videoplayer-code:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11301

For me those code fixes made a huge difference, anything "normal" nowadays plays nicely without problems. With "normal" I mean files with bitrates under 100Mbit. But sudden bursts over 100Mbit can still trigger this same issue and as in your case typically any OSD on screen will stop frame dropping/skipping. For me the most effective way to stop stuttering was and still is to trigger the Playercodecinfo-display ON with CTRL-SHIFT-O.

But this Processor Power Management -settings also helps in my case. If I put the Minimum Processor State to 100% (no change in CPU clock speed, which will be maxed all the time), there is no problems with these very high bitrate scenes. I also tested a scenario, where I did not change the default Power Management Settings but I put some extra load to CPU by running some background virus scanning during the video playing to keep CPU occupied. Again, those problematic scenes played without problems. So interestingly, when Kodi Videoplayer is HW-decoding the CPU need to have some additional work for Kodi to play those trickier files without stuttering. That's why I still think that this theory, which I described previously, could have something for investigating. Are those latest HW-decoders so efficient that some timing errors will occur, when CPU is almost "sleeping" during True Fullscreen-video playing?

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - b1ggles - 2017-01-26

(2017-01-16, 15:23)afedchin Wrote:
(2017-01-16, 15:06)b1ggles Wrote: Now just got the problem of Kodi exiting to a black screen instead Smile
check Debug Log what is blocking Kodi to exit

The problem was caused by running it in portable mode, tried 16 in portable and the same thing happened whereas I had no issues with my main install. Crossed fingers that that was the issue and Installed 17 over the main one and all good now.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - am2015 - 2017-01-31

@goodton: I have run some more test and it seems that the issue is not related to CPU power managment. I will try to get some help in the other thread.

@afedchin: I have older nighlies running here with zero stuttering. The last working nighlty for me is KodiSetup-20160401-0436322-master.exe. It works perfectly with DXVA2 enabled, adjust refresh rate enabled and sync playback to display enabled. It seem sthat there were some changes introduced after this version which are responsible for the video stutter. The next avaiable nightly I have is KodiSetup-20160518-b47b521-master.exe. This version has terrible video stuttering, BUT if OSD is active the stuttering goes away. All other versions untill rc4 have the same issue and in RC4 the stuttering is even there with OSD enabled. Without OSD it is even wors.

I can provide logs if needed for both versions.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - afedchin - 2017-01-31

If you have an issue with smooth playback after KodiSetup-20160401 it means that your driver has an issue with vsync.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - CastagnaIT - 2017-01-31

i have same stuttering problem, but i have niticed that this occours specially with SD video content, in the 720P/1080P video It does not happen if there is very slightly.

my system is Windows 10 32bit
[ Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 2GB ram, AMD HD 6670 with crimson]
and i use nightly of 30 January
nothing change with DXVA2 actived or deactivated,
and when OSD is displayed no stuttering at all

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - Intel1 - 2017-02-10

Hi, I also have the same problem of stuttering in the videos.

Stage:

1.-Windows 7 64-bit.
2.-Intel Core i3, 8Gb memory
3.-Kodi 17 nighty February 1, 2017
4.-Graphics card: Nvidia GT 730 with vga and hdmi connector
5.-Drivers updated to January 2017
6.-Connected vga to lcd 19" resolution: 1366x768
7.-Connected hdmi to Sansumg TV resolution: 1920x1080
8.-Lcd 19" no stutter
9.-TV Samsung has the stutter
10.-Kodi 16 does not flicker on lcd or tv samnsung.

-Acceleration by hardware enabled: Player process info: Deinterlacing: unknown.
- Turning off hardware acceleration in kodi, you do not stutter. Player process info: Deinterlace: Ok.
-Activating OSD does not have flicker or is minimal.

-Testing: high performance settings in power options - Stuttering the same.

In the image: skip: 822 (stuttering problem)

Log kodi 16:
http://pastebin.com/U2CDYa1A

Log kodi 17
http://pastebin.com/3SrJsszr

Any solution?

Thank you.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - FXB78 - 2017-02-10

@Intel1 I believe you need to update from Windows 7 SP1 to at least Windows 7 SP2 via Windows Update. This will install DX 11 which is used in Kodi versions 16 & 17.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - Intel1 - 2017-02-10

(2017-02-10, 17:11)FXB78 Wrote: @Intel1 I believe you need to update from Windows 7 SP1 to at least Windows 7 SP2 via Windows Update. This will install DX 11 which is used in Kodi versions 16 & 17.

Hi, thanks for replying, if I have the DX11.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - Slipass - 2017-02-11

I have the same problem with windows 10, kodi actual nightly and ati rx460.
But the problem is only in a few channels on live tv.
My resolution is 2160p@60Hz.

When i turn of dxva2 support it works. But then a 4k movie with h265 doesnt work.

RE: Terrible video stuttering after Anniversary Update - Intel1 - 2017-02-11

Hi, why when I deactivate hardware acceleration the Deinterlace method appears as unknown?

On the other hand, if I deactivate the hardware acceleration if I deploy the Deinterlace method.

Can that be the problem?

Thank you.