Kodi Community Forum
Android Passthrough Changes with v17 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Passthrough Changes with v17 (/showthread.php?tid=289735)

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - wrxtasy - 2017-03-12

(2017-03-12, 11:44)dusinof Wrote: Actually i did research pretty carefully. But i never attention to IEC61937 or KODI 17. In matter of this stuff it is always SW changes right. This have nothing to do with ARM processor or RAM or stuff like that. So i mainly focused on RAM + codecs support + 1GB LAN, HDMI, wifi and so on... This device should have all HD audio supported so to be honest, I didn't expect any issues until today, when i read this forum.

In hindsight this is my very obvious thread that should have been first looked at:

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2017)

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - dusinof - 2017-03-12

(2017-03-12, 11:42)wrxtasy Wrote: @dusinof,

@mo123 is correct - ALL AML S912 devices (apart from the MINIX U9-H) are running AML test Firmware that should never had seen the light of day.
S912 boxes (and most AMLogic Android Marshmallow S905(x)) are the worst on the Market for Kodi Krypton compatibility. You cannot get a stable version of LibreELEC Kodi for the S912 either.

Unfortunately you have been hoodwinked into buying a Dud !

Your only very slight hope is the Freaktab website for alternative Firmware.

Otherwise send the box back or onsell the device and either get something with IEC Audio support for Kodi Krypton - Xiaomi Mi Box, nVIDIA Shield or MINIX U9-H.
With a AMLogic S905(x) box you can at least use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and get a far superior Kodi Audio and Video support setup.

Many thanks for information. I will try to do RMA.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - CiNcH - 2017-03-15

Quote:For semi broken firmware, e.g. Android Sony TV, Philips TV, some others with AC3 640 issues:
PCM speakers: 2.0
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding
and (!) Enable Sync Playback to Display. This is need to force transcoding even of native AC3 Input as that might be 640 kbit/s and the FW cannot use it.
This limits the AC3 encoder bitrate to 384kbps, right?

Now that MediaTek fixed the 640kbps issue and Sony already has the driver inside, am I always supposed to get 384kbps when I enable "sync playback to display" and AC3 transcoding with the official Krypton builds? Or do I never have to enable "sync playback to display" in the first place because A/V use a common clock on Android TV anyway?

Will the above settings also force 384kbps on the AC3 encoder for other platforms?

The thing currently sounds like a weird hack to me. But I am probably missing the complete picture...

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Etzi - 2017-03-15

(2017-03-15, 11:54)CiNcH Wrote: Now that MediaTek fixed the 640kbps issue and Sony already has the driver inside, am I always supposed to get 384kbps when I enable "sync playback to display" and AC3 transcoding with the official Krypton builds? Or do I never have to enable "sync playback to display" in the first place because A/V use a common clock on Android TV anyway?

Will the above settings also force 384kbps on the AC3 encoder for other platforms?

The thing currently sounds like a weird hack to me. But I am probably missing the complete picture...

On Philips, it is still broken... (Or they have not released, that newer one to the public)
If Sony supports 640kbit/s now, then "Sync playback to display" is not required as you don't need to transcode AC3 to lower bitrate.
It will still transcode DTS to AC3 384kbit/s, as this bitrate is globally set for android, by looking at the code.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - CiNcH - 2017-03-15

Yes. But I don't really get this approach. Why doing such a weird settings combination that affects everybody instead of doing a setting in advancedsettings.xml that is straightforward and well understandable?

What if I want to sync to display and use AC3 transcoding to get synchronized PT audio? Am I always stuck with those 384kbps, no matter what my device is? I think I am missing something because this for sure wouldn't be a good solution...

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Etzi - 2017-03-15

(2017-03-15, 14:39)CiNcH Wrote: Yes. But I don't really get this approach. Why doing such a weird settings combination that affects everybody instead of doing a setting in advancedsettings.xml that is straightforward and well understandable?

Suggested that approach to @fritsch at some point, but it required some hacks and they decided not to go that route AFAIK.
He may comment this in more detail, if he sees fit.
Anyway at least we have somekind of working solution for multichannel so, I would not like to be too picky about its actual implementation.

(2017-03-15, 14:39)CiNcH Wrote: What if I want to sync to display and use AC3 transcoding to get synchronized PT audio? Am I always stuck with those 384kbps, no matter what my device is? I think I am missing something because this for sure wouldn't be a good solution...

Yes you are stuck, as we all are if you have Android, as there seems to be more broken devices than actual working ones.

PS: Believe me, but you won't hear much difference between 384kbit/s and 640kbit/s... Wink

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - bengt johnsson - 2017-03-15

So I have just one simple question<
Im running kodi 17 on nvidia shield, and I cannot get DTS audio.
Will this get fixed in a future (soon?) update or do I have to do techi-stuff myself?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - HolgerKuehn - 2017-03-15

(2017-03-15, 15:52)bengt johnsson Wrote: Im running kodi 17 on nvidia shield, and I cannot get DTS audio.
Will this get fixed in a future (soon?) update or do I have to do techi-stuff myself?

This works fine for me. Can you provide some more details about your settings? You'll get DTS for sure, when its activated in settings. It might just be deactivated or you've AC3 transcoding on ...

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Koying - 2017-03-15

(2017-03-15, 20:55)Holger Kühn Wrote: or you've AC3 transcoding on ...

AC3 transcoding only pops in if:

1) You have your channel setup set to 2.0
2) You try to play something with > 2 channels
3) It is not a passthrough format you have enabled as supported by your setup

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - bengt johnsson - 2017-03-16

I've tried the AC3 transcoding, but I dont really care for workarounds, I just want it to work =). There's not that many settings to choose from, but they are all activiated (DTS capable receiver etc...). Everything worked fine in previous version, but with 17 it does not.

(2017-03-15, 20:55)Holger Kühn Wrote:
(2017-03-15, 15:52)bengt johnsson Wrote: Im running kodi 17 on nvidia shield, and I cannot get DTS audio.

This works fine for me. Can you provide some more details about your settings? You'll get DTS for sure, when its activated in settings. It might just be deactivated or you've AC3 transcoding on ...

Are you sure its working for you? I thought this whole thread was about it not working on the shield..?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Koying - 2017-03-16

Shield is a reference device. Every format works there as far as Kodi is concerned.
The DTS issue is with mediatek based TV's, Sony and Philips.

If you have a passthrough issue on shield, 95% chance it's a misconfiguration or a h/w issue.

(2017-03-16, 08:50)Koying Wrote: Shield is a reference device. Every format works there as far as Kodi is concerned.

If you have a passthrough issue on shield, 95% chance it's a misconfiguration or a h/w issue.

Hm thats wierd..any new settings that came along with the update I have missed?

(2017-03-16, 08:50)Koying Wrote: Shield is a reference device. Every format works there as far as Kodi is concerned.

Just reviewed all kodi settings, there shouldnt be something Ive missed :C. All I get is PCM,

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - navanman - 2017-03-16

Make sure sync playback to display is disabled.
It will cause issues with passthrough audio.