Kodi Community Forum
Android Passthrough Changes with v17 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Passthrough Changes with v17 (/showthread.php?tid=289735)

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - HolgerKuehn - 2017-03-16

(2017-03-16, 10:32)bengt johnsson Wrote: Just reviewed all kodi settings, there shouldnt be something Ive missed :C. All I get is PCM,

I am using the following settings for shield and Kodi 17:

Player / Video
Sync playback to display - off

System / Audio
Number of channels - 5.1
Allow passthrough - on
Dolby Digital (AC3) compatible Receiver - on
DTS compatible receiver - on
EAC3 / HD-Audio - off

In SHIELD settings
Display & Sound / Advanced Settings

HDMI 5.1 Audio - on
Fixed volume - on

These are working for me. I can just confirm this with a HDMI-TOSLINK-Splitter, but ought to be fine with any HDMI AVR, I suppose.

Can you confirm those settings?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - yaemish - 2017-03-19

I've read through and searched and I can't find anything specifically detailing how the hearing loss issue actually shows up. I am doing the transcoding over optical with my FireTV and am still considering the "shitty build".

With the old workaround, do you actually hear a noise suddenly that will cause damage or is there some background noise that can't be detected that damages your hearing? I've been using XBMC/Kodi for a long time and I haven't ever noticed a noise problem. Would I be able to detect such a problem? Thank you

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Etzi - 2017-03-20

(2017-03-19, 21:21)yaemish Wrote: Would I be able to detect such a problem? Thank you

It is hard not to detect, if you hit it...unless you are deaf already... Big Grin

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - yaemish - 2017-03-20

Thank you, I understand. I suppose that the warning is more for people using headphones. Viewing through a television with speakers shouldn't be a concern.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-03-20

No - it's for people without headphones. As with headphones there is no (fake) passthrough.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - vova_y - 2017-03-30

@fritsch, I have downloaded shitty version (dated march 20), but it behave the same way as regular version: no DTS receiver menu item to enable. And when DD receiver and DD Transcoding enabled (with 2.0 channels selected) DTS converted to DD. Changing volume in android during DD playback don't mess output sound, while in 16.1 it do. My understanding that "shitty" version should do the same as 16.1.

Other bug is applicable to 17.1 and 17.1 shitty, but not to 16.1. After DD playback, UI sound disappeared in kodi, in Youtube and other android application. Trying to play any 2-channel video (captured from tv tuner) doesn't output any sound.There are only way to get sound back is to reboot box.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-03-30

Your understanding is wrong. And without a Debug Log no one on this planet will be able to help you. The shitty build is not supported at all ... it was done for those poor guys that bought non standard compliant boxes.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - vova_y - 2017-03-30

(2017-03-30, 07:11)fritsch Wrote: The shitty build is not supported at all ...

To fritsch: thank you, since shitty version is not supported, lets work on bug in released version. I will give you a log.

To poor guys with shitty version: do you have the same behaviour in Kodi?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Jokerchyld - 2017-03-30

@vova_y -- I have shitty version, but not the most recent (I think mine is last RC4 build). Don't have any problems here, but I am also on a custom rom.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - vova_y - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-30, 07:11)fritsch Wrote: Your understanding is wrong. And without a Debug Log no one on this planet will be able to help you.

Hi fritsch, here is log file: log file.

DD = Dolby Digital

Sequence was:
1. Play tv captured file. Sound present.
2. Play test file with DD+. Converted to DD. Sound present.

3. Play file from step #1. So sound.
4. Play test file from step #2. Sound present.

After step 2 (when DD transmitted) sound disappeared (except dd sound) in android (youtube, music player) and never re-appeared until reboot.

Let's say after playing Dolby Digital once, only DD it can play unless you reboot box.

Settings are:
Passthrough: on
DD (AC3): on
Transcoding: on
Channels: 2.0

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-03-31

Firmware bug. Nothing I can do.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - wrxtasy - 2017-03-31

@vova_y,

If that device is an AML S905(x) simply run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton from a SD card and all your Firmware and Audio problems will go away.

(2017-03-31, 07:51)fritsch Wrote: Firmware bug. Nothing I can do.

I will be appreciate if you can give some technical details about this bug.

(2017-03-31, 09:09)wrxtasy Wrote: If that device is an AML S905(x) simply run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton from a SD card and all your Firmware and Audio problems will go away.

Yes, it is AML S905. But I already tried to run it, but no luck to boot it. Looks like some custom bootloader.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-03-31

If it's S905 and Android 5 - everything should be fine. If it's S905 and the prebaked, home cooked, never meant serious old and outdated v6 release - it's bad.