Kodi Community Forum
Android Passthrough Changes with v17 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Passthrough Changes with v17 (/showthread.php?tid=289735)

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - kraka40 - 2017-04-09

could someone explain the following to me:

- EAC3 7.1 is broken on all FireTV firmware. I suggest disabling EAC3 and use Dolby Transcoding _and_ speakers set to 2.0. It makes no sense to passthrough if you can output 6 or more PCM channels

Specifically, 'use Dolby Transcoding and speakers set to 2.0" .. what does the mean, what are the specific settings within Kodi, and how do those Kodi settings solve this problem. I've only been able to to get Dolby via HDMI passthrough, and when I turn it off, I get a 2 channel PCM signal (over hdmi).

something isn't clicking for me... thx in advance!

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - mo123 - 2017-04-09

(2017-04-09, 04:33)kraka40 Wrote: could someone explain the following to me:

- EAC3 7.1 is broken on all FireTV firmware. I suggest disabling EAC3 and use Dolby Transcoding _and_ speakers set to 2.0. It makes no sense to passthrough if you can output 6 or more PCM channels

Specifically, 'use Dolby Transcoding and speakers set to 2.0" .. what does the mean, what are the specific settings within Kodi, and how do those Kodi settings solve this problem. I've only been able to to get Dolby via HDMI passthrough, and when I turn it off, I get a 2 channel PCM signal (over hdmi).

something isn't clicking for me... thx in advance!

Better use SPMC if you are using a FireTV device as it's more optimized for it.
Amazon doesn't care about all the pass-through capabilities, as long as their streaming services can only work.
If you are serious about pass-through I would suggest you get a device that supports Kodi/Android's official API like IEC61937.

Someone else can perhaps explain the transcoding.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-04-09

If all you want is passthrough DTS, AC3 on your FireTV - use the shitty build as advertized and explained on the very first post.

Passthrough Changes with v17 - kraka40 - 2017-04-09

I've been using Kodi on FTV since the FTV was first released, I have 3 of them. Pass through has been great. I've downgraded back to 16 as it works without issue. I'll also check out the shitty build and SPMC.

I asked the question though because I just don't get the recommendation at start of thread for FTV. Regardless of how I configure my settings I don't get a 5channel signal on my receiver via hdmi unless I use passthrough. If there is a way to configure kodi to pass a multichannel signal to my receiver on FTV w/o passthrough I was hoping for an explanation.

Sent from my iPhone

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-04-09

When you try to read the very first post of this forum thread, what questions are still open?

Passthrough Changes with v17 - kraka40 - 2017-04-09

Quote:could someone explain the following to me:

I'm looking for an explanation as to why this configuration is explained as supposed to work for FTV. It is not clear and does not work for my configuration with a denon avr-1911.

Sent from my iPhone

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - kraka40 - 2017-04-10

@fritsch

I saw this in a different thread, which I was trying to relate to the FTV recommendation:

(2015-01-14, 17:49)DJ_Izumi Wrote: In another thread I recently learned that setting the number of audio channels in Kodi is NOT the number of speakers you have but the number of LPCM channels that your audio hardware supports, even if it can do more channels via a compressed, bitstreamed format such as AC3, DTS, ect. This is why AC3 transcoding is not an option unless 2.0 speakers is selected. Okay, I grasp that, but since I have a soundbar that's rather dumb and doesn't display what format it's ingesting, could someone explain to me what is and is not transcoded when transcoding and bitstreaming are enabled? (In this case, only DTS and AC3 are the formats supported by the soundbar [Other than LPCM of course])

I'm going to assume that 2.0 Dolby Digital AC3 is bitstreamed and not decoded to PCM, ...

My assumptions/understandings from reading these threads is that passthrough is in essence a bitstream of the source digital audio .. no processing on Kodi. With Android this is not possible so passthrough was faked and a AC3 encoding was applied. With non-passthrough the decoded 2-channel PCM signal was provided and sent downstream. Without setting to speakers to 2.0, Kodi would think that it didn't need to do any transcoding of the signal so it provided no adjustment to the audio other than providing the audio downstream as a multi-channel PCM which for some reason is not being picked up by my Denon receiver. By forcing to 2.0 Kodi then transcodes back to an AC3 bitstream which the receiver can decode.

I'm away from home at the moment but I'll play with this when I return.

I'm probably wrong, next step is to go find and read the code ... also don't quite understand what shitty build does vs 16 and if shitty and 16 are the same from an audio handling perspective why 17 passthrough works perfectly well with recorded streams.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - rcrh - 2017-04-11

I'll admit I didn't read all 50 pages of this thread but the gist seems to be that if DTS passthrough isn't working then either use the "shitty" build or complain to the builder of our hardware. That's fine. I understand sticking to current android specs. But two questions:
1) shouldn't there be an option under the passthrough section for DTS? I only AC3 & E-AC3.
2) are the "shitty" builds still available and are they for 17.1?

Again, I understand hardware vendors need to keep their OS current.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - mo123 - 2017-04-11

(2017-04-11, 04:04)rcrh Wrote: I'll admit I didn't read all 50 pages of this thread but the gist seems to be that if DTS passthrough isn't working then either use the "shitty" build or complain to the builder of our hardware. That's fine. I understand sticking to current android specs. But two questions:
1) shouldn't there be an option under the passthrough section for DTS? I only AC3 & E-AC3.
2) are the "shitty" builds still available and are they for 17.1?

Again, I understand hardware vendors need to keep their OS current.

Thanks in advance.

1. If you don't see a DTS option, your device doesn't support it.
If you look at a Kodi log of eg. a FireTV device, it only lists AC3, EAC3 there is no DTS capability in the firmware for Kodi 17.1
That is why people use transcoding on eg. Fire TV devices or others that don't support it.

2. Read the very first post of this thread.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735&pid=2408984#pid2408984
Everything is explained there and the Kodi 17.1 'shitty' build links are there.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - rcrh - 2017-04-11

(2017-04-11, 04:53)mo123 Wrote: 1. If you don't see a DTS option, your device doesn't support it.
If you look at a Kodi log of eg. a FireTV device, it only lists AC3, EAC3 there is no DTS capability in the firmware for Kodi 17.1
That is why people use transcoding on eg. Fire TV devices or others that don't support it.
I didn't realize Kodi would dynamically change based on the hardware. I realized Windows might be different then linux but I didnt' realize the Android build would change from hardware to hardware. Thanks.

(2017-04-11, 04:53)mo123 Wrote: 2. Read the very first post of this thread.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735&pid=2408984#pid2408984
Everything is explained there and the Kodi 17.1 'shitty' build links are there.
do you mean these links?
Version 17.1 builds to be found here:
Notsoshitty: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
Shitty: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
They don't work.
But I took the file name off of the link and ended up in a directory with many builds; downloaded the most recent (kodi-20170409-6911b81-master-armeabi-v7a.apk) and ended up with an alpha build of v18.

Is there a link to a v17.1 build or not?

Again, I appreciate the help and I am trying to read the very first post but clearly there is some incomplete or out of date info there.

Thanks.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-04-11

Shitty and notsoshitty currently rebuilding.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - mo711 - 2017-04-11

What's the difference in shitty and notsoshitty?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - kraka40 - 2017-04-12

(2017-04-11, 20:34)fritsch Wrote: Shitty and notsoshitty currently rebuilding.

Could you post a link these branches they are tracked GitHub?

TIA. Really appreciate the work you doing to maintain these builds, just trying to understand underlying API and firmware more.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Etzi - 2017-04-12

(2017-04-11, 21:45)mo711 Wrote: What's the difference in shitty and notsoshitty?

Shitty has PCM hack.
NotSoShitty has AC3 (transcoding) bitrate lowered from 640Kbit/s to 384Kbit/s to workaround AC3 bitrate limitation on some devices.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - mohshadow17 - 2017-04-12

Hi guys. Difficult to understand all what is explained on the 50 first page.... but I tried.... API.... Shitty ("Merdique" en francais.... that doesn't inspire me... or need help)
The facts for me are clear. DTS Passthrough worked well before (Jarvis) and not in Kody 17.1. (Can't confirm in Kodi 17 only used 4 days before an update was proposed to me.
My devices: Android Box Beelink GT1 AMLOGIC S912 plugged by toshlink SPDIF with my A/V receiver Onkyo SR307 DTS capable (seems not DTS HD)
On a DTS movie, no sound at all by Passthrough, so I must disable Passtrough in movie setup. Concerning Dolby Digital 5.1 movies, no problem at all.
I don't really understand where comming from the issue... and most important for me how to correct it if it is possible.
If someone enough capable to help a (french) noob.. Thx a lot.