Kodi Community Forum
Android Passthrough Changes with v17 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Passthrough Changes with v17 (/showthread.php?tid=289735)

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Jeffers24 - 2017-07-01

(2017-07-01, 06:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Reset all audio settings - select only the passthrough options required - don't mess with anything else, Ensure Expert is enabled in Bottom Left as well.

Next TIP: depending on what AML Chipset you have S812, S905 etc - many people are using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, running entirely from an external SD card in a dual boot configuration to use Kodi properly. You will not want to run Android Kodi ever again. Wink

Otherwise have fun with workarounds, installing, testing, swearing. Then you go and buy another cheap crap Android Firmware box and the buggy cycle repeats itself.
STAY AWAY FROM ROCKCHIP.

You need to read this Post that lists which Android Boxes have proper Android Kodi Krypton, audio passthrough support.
Stop buying Android rubbish or simply use LibreELEC.

If I connect my box via HDMI to my TV and play audio through my TV speakers, do I need to be concerned about this Amlogic API/audio issue?

When playing audio through TV speakers should I leave all audio settings at their default value?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - wrxtasy - 2017-07-01

Like any media player HDMI connected to a TV - if you do not change any settings at all in Kodi Audio - All Audio formats will be downmixed to regular 2.0 PCM audio and output thru TV speakers, regardless of the quality of Firmware used.

Unless your TV supports DD, DD+ and DTS, you will not get any Passthrough Audio at all, when selecting those options.

This is a Krypton Passthrough Audio thread, mostly concerning HDMI connected AVR's.
You need IEC Firmware support for any DTS and HD Audio passthrough when using Kodi Krypton..

(2017-07-01, 07:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Like any media player HDMI connected to a TV - if you do not change any settings at all in Kodi Audio - All Audio formats will be downmixed to regular 2.0 PCM audio and output thru TV speakers, regardless of the quality of Firmware used.

Unless your TV supports DD, DD+ and DTS, you will not get any Passthrough Audio at all, when selecting those options.

This is a Krypton Passthrough Audio thread, mostly concerning HDMI connected AVR's.
You need IEC Firmware support for any DTS and HD Audio passthrough when using Kodi Krypton..

Thanks for quick response.

I suspect a number of Kodi users do not have an AVR.

My understanding of your reply is that the Amlogic API issue would be irrelevant when connecting my box via HDMI to my TV (with no DD, DD+ and DTS) and using my TV speakers and that I should leave the kodi audio options set to default.

If my understanding is incorrect please let me know.

You are correct because you are not using Audio passthrough at all.

(2017-07-01, 08:14)wrxtasy Wrote: You are correct because you are not using Audio passthrough at all.

Thanks again for clarifying that for me.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Matthew - 2017-07-01

(2017-07-01, 06:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Reset all audio settings - select only the passthrough options required - don't mess with anything else, Ensure Expert is enabled in Bottom Left as well.

Next TIP: depending on what AML Chipset you have S812, S905 etc - many people are using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, running entirely from an external SD card in a dual boot configuration to use Kodi properly. You will not want to run Android Kodi ever again. Wink

Otherwise have fun with workarounds, installing, testing, swearing. Then you go and buy another cheap crap Android Firmware box and the buggy cycle repeats itself.
STAY AWAY FROM ROCKCHIP.

You need to read this Post that lists which Android Boxes have proper Android Kodi Krypton, audio passthrough support.
Stop buying Android rubbish or simply use LibreELEC.

Thanks for the info. had a look back through some of the 56 pages of info on this thread could not see anyone talking about a amlogic box (or other Android) that worked.

So what box out of the box works using other chipsets & linux.

For some reason I cannot get my M8S+ to load kodi apks, I have to use the playstore Undecided so I may as well just replace it.

Thanks -Matthew.

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated June 2017)

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - SilentWraith - 2017-07-10

can i get dts hd and dts hd master audio to work on my device?
i am using kdlinks a400 and AVR

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - wrxtasy - 2017-07-10

Android Lollipop 5.1 = Android API v21 or v22.

Read Post #1 that details what audio to expect.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - elbaghee - 2017-07-20

(2016-09-05, 20:37)fritsch Wrote: For semi broken firmware, e.g. Android Sony TV, Philips TV, some others with AC3 640 issues:
PCM speakers: 2.0
Enable AC3
Enable AC3-Transcoding
and (!) Enable Sync Playback to Display. This is need to force transcoding even of native AC3 Input as that might be 640 kbit/s and the FW cannot use it.

Hello all,

I have an Android TV (Philips PUS7600) with Android 5.1.
Until Kodi v16 I could listen my 5.1 Audio in my Home Cinema system without problems. Ok, really TV speakers didn't work fine, but PT works fine!!
I tryed your recomendation, but Kodi v17 PT doesn't work :-(, it's more, after test, optical output in TV is switched off and only if TV is unpluged and pluged again this is fixed.

Is there other config to try to fix this? Is there any v17 release with old PT method?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Sjors125 - 2017-07-21

So I've bought the Minix Neo U9-H, which has a S912-H Soc, to be sure I have DTS HDMA passthrough.
I've read in the Kodi boxes topic that there is no working LibreElec version for the U9.
I followed all steps that were recommended in this topic and in the topics on the Minixforum.
Passthrough works, but only after clearing my Android cache and after some short amount of time (probably after a restart of my U9) the passthrough does not work anymore.

So far I have chosen the right Android box, from a decent manufacturer. I followd all the right steps. So what do I do know?
Just tell Kodi not to use passthrough for DTS?

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - Etzi - 2017-07-25

Well, looks like Philips got their firmware finally working, AC3 640Kbit/s works, since version 0.10.77.2

Quote:===================== Audio #1 =====================
Id : 2
Format : AC-3
Format info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Formatsettings, Endianness : Big
Codec Id : A_AC3
Duration (ms) : 2h 19mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 31.250 fps (1536 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 638 MB (6%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

As I did not believe it, I double and even triple checked, it indeed works...

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-07-25

Perfect.

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - gesnazo - 2017-07-28

Hello fritsch,

I cannot find shitty build in test-builts, where is it?

Regards

RE: Passthrough Changes with v17 - fritsch - 2017-07-29

Rebuilding - will be there in 2 hours.