Kodi Community Forum
Req Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Req Adjust display refresh rate only on Start (/showthread.php?tid=291919)

Pages: 1 2

Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - bigbadrabbit - 2016-09-23

Right now there are only these options:

- Off
- On start/stop
- Always

I'd like to know if it's somehow possible to have adjusting the refresh rate only at start of a video and not when it stops?
I'm asking because i'm using a video projector and each refresh rate change lasts up to 8 seconds, which is quite annoying when watching short clips, trailers, youtube videos.

Therefore it'll be nice to have an option to only change when starting a video and leave the current refresh rate while browsing the menus.

Is that possible?

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - PatK - 2016-09-23

I'd like to move this along to 'feature requests', it will get some notice in that area.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - bigbadrabbit - 2016-09-23

Thanks, PatK!

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - FernetMenta - 2016-09-23

(2016-09-23, 20:20)bigbadrabbit Wrote: Right now there are only these options:

- Off
- On start/stop
- Always

I'd like to know if it's somehow possible to have adjusting the refresh rate only at start of a video and not when it stops?
I'm asking because i'm using a video projector and each refresh rate change lasts up to 8 seconds, which is quite annoying when watching short clips, trailers, youtube videos.

Therefore it'll be nice to have an option to only change when starting a video and leave the current refresh rate while browsing the menus.

Is that possible?

there is hardly anything that is not possible. the first question is if there is a critical mass of users who think that this aadditional option makes sense.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - PatK - 2016-09-24

I'm wondering if the Displays (wiki) pin #19 trick would be applicable here?

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - Ned Scott - 2016-09-24

Nope, because pin 19 is just detecting if the cable has been physically unplugged/plugged in. The display will still change refresh rate depending on the video signal itself.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - bigbadrabbit - 2016-09-24

Can something like this be achieved with Kodi Callbacks script?

Maybe execute a script on PlayerStop-event that disables the automatic switch quickly enough?

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - FernetMenta - 2016-09-24

How do you think about a new mode the brings up a dialog asking the user. Would also be useful for testing or watching trailers.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - bigbadrabbit - 2016-09-26

To whom the question is addressed?

Where and when should this dialog popup and what is it for? Sorry i don't get it Huh

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - FernetMenta - 2016-09-26

(2016-09-26, 19:24)bigbadrabbit Wrote: Where and when should this dialog popup and what is it for? Sorry i don't get it Huh

It turned out that there is no one-fits-all setting for changing refresh rate. Sooner or later you always hit a case where your selected setting does not fit your current need. A change of refresh rate does not happen that often so why not asking the user at that time if she/he wants that switch to happen? For your particular case it would be as follows: your current refresh rate is 24hz while plain some 24fps video, video ends, you are asked by a dialog if you want to stay at 24hz or switch back to desktop resolution. Selecting "no" implements your request.

The dialog would pop up every time player is about to change refresh rate.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - willemd - 2016-09-28

I think that after having that dialog a few times, most users would disable it, because it's not really user friendly to actually have to press a button each time a video has ended. At least, if I'm correct in assuming that most users run the GUI in the highest possible refresh rate (for me that's 60Hz), and videos in their original refresh rate (like 24Hz/25Hz/etc.)? In normal use, you wouldn't want the GUI to interrupt you when a movie has ended. Especially not when it would be useful - i.e. when you're watching several videos after another.

I do see OP's point that it's irritating to wait for refresh rate changes, and I'm just using a normal TV that only takes one or two seconds.

I would guess for the OP (and others) it's not a problem when the refresh rate only changes after watching a full movie, because a refresh rate change would then just occur like once or twice in an evening of watching video. It's, like OP says, only a problem with several changes after each other, i.e. when watching short clips (movie trailers, YouTube videos, videos in picture galleries, etc.)

Could a solution be to add an option to change refresh rate only when the video that's being loaded is longer than a certain pre-set amount of time? That would mean that the TV or projector would change to 24Hz when you're watching a full movie, but doesn't change when you just want to watch a 2 minute trailer, and then return back to the GUI. (I guess live streaming like in PVR should always be assumed to take longer than the pre-set duration.)

I realise that this is the opposite to the OP's proposed solution of not-changing-back to the GUI refresh rate, but I think the user experience is better this way. At least, for me it's more detracting to have the GUI run at 24Hz (or something else that's slow) than it's to see a short Youtube video in 60Hz instead of 24/25Hz. For me personally it's relevant because I often use Kodi to run picture slideshows with mixed context of pictures and videos. Kodi changes refresh rate before and after each video (normally 24Hz), but keeping the screen locked at 24Hz makes a photo slideshow pretty horrible.

Now that I've typed this, I see advantages to both proposed solutions. Smile

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - bigbadrabbit - 2016-09-28

I'm from Austria so i have to deal with three different refresh rates:

- 24Hz for movies and sometimes trailers
- 50Hz for most european TV shows or local IPTV
- 60Hz for american TV shows, YouTube clips, trailers, etc.

The UI works perfectly in 50/60Hz.
So it'll make sense to change refresh rate on every start but only change back on stop if the video/movie is 24fps and leave it as is if the video is 50/60fps.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - Soli - 2016-09-28

Great feature request. Maybe it also could be scriptable so that functions in addition to the normal user choises. That way I can toggle (and discrete on/off, and even timer enabled) it with a button, but on start/stop is still the default.
Sometimes I like to browse youtube clips with the excellent addon BestofYoutube, and quite often i just press the equivalent backspace button on my remote to browse to new clips before the existing clip is finished. That way I don't have to wait the few seconds for my display to resync. Sometimes it's almost like a race to find a new clip before the old clips finishes and the TV resyncs Big Grin

It would also be nice to implement this as something the addons could call, as I don't care about wathing youtube clips with refresh rate sync enabled.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - rascal76 - 2017-02-26

+1 for this feature. I'm also suffering from quite long refresh rate change times with my Onkyo amp + LG 4K TV combo, so I would appreciate "Only at start" option for refresh rate change.

RE: Adjust display refresh rate only on Start - kingmob - 2017-12-29

I've been waiting for this option for ages tbh. Is there somewhere we can track these requests and maybe +1 them? I would imagine implementing a fourth option (only change on start) wouldn't be that hard at least? Finer control (like which menu refresh rates are allowed, so that the menu won't go to 24Hz for instance) could be added to advancedsettings just like we have for refresh rate overrides.