Kodi Community Forum
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use (/showthread.php?tid=291943)

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - Dan50 - 2016-12-02

I will follow your advice Smile
Thanks for the answer, I've read so many divergent opinions , mostly just random comments so I was a little bit apprehensive about buying one of this boxes.
I just want something that can play 4k HDR, with some stability and good support - (Movies only, mostly through Kodi) and I came across with this promotion on the zidoo boxes( with the x8 beeing 40 € cheaper), 109€ vs 149€.

I will link an ethernet cable to the box, so I think the double wi-fi antennas will not do much of a difference and since it has a 3.0 USB pot, I can always connect one HDD through there, so , the sata port will not help much either.

The only substancial difference here , if I'm correct, is the 8gB vs the 16gB emmc memory, but once again, is the x9s worth the difference , for my purposes?

Regards

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - ohmraj - 2016-12-02

Hi hdmkv,

Could you please answer my query!

Hello,

I got Zidoo X8 two days back and started exploring all the features one by one. I've come across the below issue.

I've installed the Youtube app and try to Pair it from my Iphone 6 you tube app, but i couldn't able succeed because it says no pair code found.

Is anyone facing same issue? it's very tough to point remote cursor on Zidoo Android youtube App :-(

Note: From ROKU-2, WD PLAY & Chrome cast i can able to pair my you-tube app in Iphone

Appreciate your help!!!

| ohmraj

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - hdmkv - 2016-12-02

Wish I could help, but I don't use my Zidoo for anything other than local media (NAS) streaming.

(2016-12-02, 00:58)Dan50 Wrote: The only substancial difference here , if I'm correct, is the 8gB vs the 16gB emmc memory, but once again, is the x9s worth the difference , for my purposes?
If your use will be mostly ZDMC (Zidoo's Kodi fork), then no, X8 is good enough.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - rockhard - 2016-12-02

Just bought an x8. Haven't received it yet. Saw the disclaimer#2 in the first post regarding player issue. I actually don't have an issue using multiple players. With my laptop I use VLC player and Media player classic both as there are always some files(about 10%) that play better in one but not the other.

I use VLC most of the time and use MPC when VLC does not work or stutters. What I'd like to know is what are the files that the native player cannot play and have to use Kodi? can they both do HD audio passthrough? Av forums actually touches on this subject but they're not very clear about this

Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - bongchillog - 2016-12-02

In having problems with dts hd master tracks. David foster and friends plays ok with 1.2.6 but when upgraded to 1.2.7 the audio stops at times then continue... Some concerts with dts hd master are ok.

Sent from my iPhone

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - looun - 2016-12-02

(2016-11-30, 04:47)wrxtasy Wrote: External players are often used to address the extra video features of the Hardware directly without having to go through the proper Android Application Programming Interface channels and use Android's mediacodec from within Kodi.

It's basically a quick and dirty way to add custom SoC video support to Kodi and save time and money.

But these custom external players can come with compromises and break Kodi features like video resume and external subtitles.
Not sure what's up with ZDMC, but I know on the Mi Box when SPMC/Kodi is used with the external player software MX Player that will remember a Resume point. It's baked into MX Player.

There are very likely more (undiscovered) Kodi compromises to be found yet.
These are the reasons why such Kodi/external player solutions are frowned upon by the Kodi purists.

@hdmkv these important bugs/compromises must be written on Page#1 (if not already) of devices using such Kodi external player solutions. This is the stuff that is very important to Kodi end users.

i think is not right. Rolleyes
Zidoo x9s support lot codec reading mediacodec file.
it can playback without issues HD/FHD/UHD HEVC at 10 bit with kodi player .
it can playback mgp2/h.264/h.265 interlaced material with kodi player with hardware decoding .

so in theory (correct me if i am in wrong ) Zidoo x9s have best support with Android Application Programming Interface maybe better than shield and amlogic box.
As equal last hisilicon soc who support also video engine with mediacodec .

so from my point of view : kodi have bug and NOT support realtek/hisilicon soc,zidoo/himedia not have any bug with mediacodec.

we would be very happy to use vanilla kodi if there is support realtek/hisilicon soc about auto-switch fps and HD audio. Cool

but maybe I'm wrong ......Huh

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - wrxtasy - 2016-12-02

Well if video codec support is so great with X9S why is External player Software used at all in the first place ?

Why not just do everything within Kodi and stop all this messing about and duplicating of media player functions ?
Do it all through Kodi's and Android's mediacodec API like everyone else.

Seems like a waste of time if you ask me. Reinventing the Wheel. Just code it all into ZDMC and publish the code.
This code might make its way into the mainstream Kodi codebase and you have your Kodi support. Kodi developers cannot magically pull Realtek/HiSilicon support code out of thin air.

Are Zidoo and HiSilicon developers going to join the ranks of Kodi code maintainers if this happens ?

Remember Kodi developers will no longer accept custom hacked code into the Android Kodi master codebase.

There is also a competitive reason here and has everything to do with GPL Open Source code compliance and wanting to stand out from the media player crowd. Which is perfectly fine.
You do not need to publish your custom coded External player software for other competitors to copy if you are not modifying Kodi itself to support unique video playback functions such as 1080p 3D or HiSilicon's Imprex Engine.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - S8C blog - 2016-12-02

Hi, sorry if I repost, but I realy hope someone can help me

I have a problem with my Zidoo x9s... in ZDMC I can't delete files (I have enabled the options) so I have to go to the explorer and delete files right there...now I've updated to 1.2.7, but I already had this problem with 1.2.5...any ideas? Thanks...

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - movie78 - 2016-12-02

(2016-12-02, 12:53)wrxtasy Wrote: Well if video codec support is so great with X9S why is External player Software used at all in the first place ?

Why not just do everything within Kodi and stop all this messing about and duplicating of media player functions ?
Do it all through Kodi's and Android's mediacodec API like everyone else.

Seems like a waste of time if you ask me. Reinventing the Wheel. Just code it all into ZDMC and publish the code.
This code might make its way into the mainstream Kodi codebase and you have your Kodi support. Kodi developers cannot magically pull Realtek/HiSilicon support code out of thin air.

Are Zidoo and HiSilicon developers going to join the ranks of Kodi code maintainers if this happens ?

Remember Kodi developers will no longer accept custom hacked code into the Android Kodi master codebase.

There is also a competitive reason here and has everything to do with GPL Open Source code compliance and wanting to stand out from the media player crowd. Which is perfectly fine.
You do not need to publish your custom coded External player software for other competitors to copy if you are not modifying Kodi itself to support unique video playback functions such as 1080p 3D or HiSilicon's Imprex Engine.

Valid points

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - KILLERNADS - 2016-12-02

Ive been using the Zidoo for a few days now, the Zidoo player definitely gives a better picture then my nVidia Shield. But the in built ZDMC Kodi player is pure crap, rubbish and broken! Audio syncing being the main issue.

The zidoo player works really well for everything you throw at it, however it does have FONT problems with the downloaded subtitles, the characters overlap each other when you make the subtitle size smaller.

However, I'm not to impressed with the Zidoo box to be honest, and still double minded on whether to keep it or return it under the amazon return policy which is until feb. Coming from using SPMC on my nvidia shield, the Zidoo box is laggy, slow, and has a terrible terrible remote control!!!

The Nvidia Shield is so smooth to browse through the menus and navigate between everything, where as the zidoo box is a drag and you have to press buttons multiple times sometimes to get them to function at all as you intend.

But obviously i can not play all the files i can play with zidoo on the shield, which is the problem! If only the shield could have 3d ISO support Sad

Btw does anyone know why I'm getting sharper image on the zidoo then on my nvidia shield? Both have been manually set to a 4K resolution. The zidoo is on automatic, whereas the shield i have selected 4k@60hz and using that Ycrbr4:2:2 mode or something, changing to RGB produces a better image on the shield but then that also means you have to use 4K@24hz or something and that causes its own issues.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - hdmkv - 2016-12-02

3D MVC is the crux of the issue... to me, it's the most important functionality, so that limits choices. If not for 3D, I'd still be using Chromebox... and waiting on 4K.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - dsenseb - 2016-12-03

I'm watching this thread for a while to see if its worth purchasing and replacing my RPi3.
But after reading all these issues from more and more users i wonder why is this box rated with A-?
It looks to me like its more a B-. It doesnt even play 3D mkv in 3D...
Wouldn't it be more wise to advise people to wait a little for a kaby lake box with mvc kodi fork and have a fully functional kodi and everything else?
Or am i missing something?

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - hdmkv - 2016-12-03

It's A- because it plays 3D ISO's perfectly (also 2D ISO's and MKV's), with full HD audio bitstreaming, proper 23.976 and excellent PQ. 3D MVC MKV's did play w/earlier f/w, but there were some issues, so Zidoo is redoing it from scratch.

If 3D MVC MKV is important to you right now (or you don't want to wait for Zidoo to come up with a solution for it), I've mentioned in the review in post #1 to look elsewhere (RPi2/3 or Intel NUC).

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - dsenseb - 2016-12-03

For the moment i'm ok with the RPi3. Guess i just want pure kodi and not external player sollutions.
It just looks like half of the people are thinking of returning the box which seems strange for a A- rating.

I'll keep checking the 'Kodi Media Player Options with MVC/frame-packed 3D & HD Audio' thread for my ideal mediaplayer Wink

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - hdmkv - 2016-12-03

With RPi2/3, you lose proper metadata mapping with DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HRA and DTS-MA, and completely lose out on ATMOS and DTS:X. Not acceptable to me.

99% of my nearly 300 3D titles are ISO's, so Zidoo is perfect for that. I expect they'll resolve MVC MKV as they promise. It's a container difference and addressing playback specifically attuned for that (vs. MVC overall, which is already well supported with this Realtek SoC), so I think (and hope) they'll make it happen soon.

@mirror88 and Zidoo, please don't let us down! Smile