Kodi Community Forum
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use (/showthread.php?tid=291943)

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - OlivierQC - 2016-12-20

Hello,

so do i (CEC disable)

wesk05 has the same probleme than me, and at the same timepoint with ghostbuster 2016 iso 2D ...it is weird.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - tsainont - 2016-12-20

I just watched a portion of mkv with ATMOS sound. It got really bad audio drop-outs. I can say that it's unwatchable. But the thing is when I decided to watch another movie (mkv with DTS-HDMA) then come back to that same old mkv with ATMOS to check again, the drop-outs are just disappeared. It becomes watchable instantly. Is it something to do with buffer or memory management or what?

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - ysthbl - 2016-12-20

Mirror88,

what are the proper settings for optimal A/V playback?

I do not have 4k Tv and I do not use 5.1 for sound system , so what are the proper settings for optimal A/V playback?

also I tried to streaming torrent file 1080p "5.1" , it worked but there is a lot of lag and the sound was bad , so what do you think the problem is ?

( Zidoo x9s @ 1.2.7 )

Thank you

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - wesk05 - 2016-12-20

(2016-12-20, 10:03)mirror88 Wrote: @OlivierQ @hdmkv @wesk05
Could you tell me,which AVR model do you use?We tried to reproduction this issue two weeks.but nothing happened.
Already tried ONKYO,YAMAYA,DENON AVR device
Don't worry,As long as we reproduce it, we can solve it
I have a Denon X6200W connected to a Samsung JS8500 TV. The output resolution was set to 1080p60 with auto 24/29.97 enabled. Deep color mode and color space were also set to auto.

As @OlivierQ has mentioned, this happens only with 2D ISO.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - hdmkv - 2016-12-20

Was going to try 3D ISO in 2D mode, but no need I guess? Weird only the actual 2D version disc rip would be affected (as likely exact audio track as 3D).

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - OlivierQC - 2016-12-20

(2016-12-20, 19:41)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-12-20, 10:03)mirror88 Wrote: @OlivierQ @hdmkv @wesk05
Could you tell me,which AVR model do you use?We tried to reproduction this issue two weeks.but nothing happened.
Already tried ONKYO,YAMAYA,DENON AVR device
Don't worry,As long as we reproduce it, we can solve it
I have a Denon X6200W connected to a Samsung JS8500 TV.

The output resolution was set to 1080p60 with auto 24/29.97 enabled. Deep color mode and color space were also set to auto.

As @OlivierQ has mentioned, this happens only with 2D ISO.

I have the same parameters.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - wesk05 - 2016-12-20

(2016-12-20, 20:13)hdmkv Wrote: Was going to try 3D ISO in 2D mode, but no need I guess? Weird only the actual 2D version disc rip would be affected (as likely exact audio track as 3D).

You should probably go ahead and try it. I usually do MKV rips for 2D. I made a 2D ISO for testing purposes. I did have CEC enabled. Will check again with CEC disabled.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - rockhard - 2016-12-21

Here's my review of Zidoo X8 (v 1.2.7) after using it for two weeks.

My setup
1. Panasonic Full HD Plasma TV(No 4k or HDR)
2. Pioneer VSX 521 (Supports DTS-HD MA and TrueHD but no ATMOS) with Wharfdale 5.1 speakers
3. HDD connected to my TP-Link router using SMB

It's a budget setup as I'm no audio enthusiast. My previous media player was wdtv live hd which I've used for six years until I broke the HDMI port(My fault).

Positives

Didn't have any problem setting this up. Used the recommended settings mentioned in the first post. Boot is fast compared to WDTV. Layout is also nicer. Connected to SMB without any issue. WDTV had a big problem with that. I played different types of movies(using external player). All played without any issues. This includes MKV, MP4, AVI, 1080p, 720p, 25 frames,24 frames, AAC, DTS, DD, DTS HD. DId not notice any judder or dropouts.It also played an 18 gig HEVC 10bit file without any issues. Picture quality is excellent. One of my friend whose kids were watching Secret Life of Pets and he commented that compared to his blu-ray player the picture quality is much better. The remote does everything I need(play, pause, FF,Rewind). It's a bit flimsy though and you need to point it directly to the unit.

Negatives

1. The unit turns on automatically when connected to main. Would've liked this to stay on standby. However I've the same happening with wdtv so this does not bother me much
2. Subtitles with html tags does not work. It shows the full html instead of the rendered text. The issue is only with the external player. Kodi shows the html subtitles perfectly
3. If I'm playing movies with DTS-HD or TrueHD and I pause the movie, it makes an annoying and grating sound. Right now I'm getting around this by muting the sound. This dues not happen with normal DTS or DD or any other formats. only DTS-HS and TrueHD
4. Last one and this is the deal breaker for me. The external player will not remember resume points for multiple files. Only the last file it played. Many times I'll have to stop a movie midway and watch something else because of my wife. Coming back to that movie I had to FF to the scene I last watched. Had I known Zidoo cannot do this, I definitely wouldn't have bought this player. I'm pretty sure many users also feel the same. WDTV got this one right at least.

I'd like to give it a A- based on my experience but for point 3 and specially 4 my rating for the player is B-

Update

Some more bugs I found. Original post later in this thread(http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=291943&pid=2492611#pid2492611)

1. I now have the dreaded 720p bug. Not sure what causes this. Could be because I turned on the daydream(screensaver) feature as another user noted .For this I followed the steps outlined in this post(http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=291943&pid=2481589#pid2481589). Screensaver itself works just fine. Also it didn't started happening right away. About 2-3 days later. Everytime I open a movie I now have to confirm changed resolution

2.The unit now randomly goes into standby when watching a movie. There's no pattern to it. There's no fixed time for this and there are times it won't go into standby. This happens only when watching a movie and not when it's idle.

Also regarding resume of playback, I've found a pattern. If you've selected Repeat All or Off in native player settings and watch 10 movies all for less than a minute than it'll resume all of them. However if you watch a movie for say one hour than stop that movie and then watch another movie for long time (~30 minutes) and then come back to the previous movie the bookmark is gone and it starts from the beginning. So watching a movie for some time (~30 minutes) deletes all previous bookmarks except the one you're watching currently. Selecting Repeat one just stops resuming for all movies

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - mirror88 - 2016-12-21

(2016-12-21, 08:50)rockhard Wrote: 4. Last one and this is the deal breaker for me. The external player will not remember resume points for multiple files. Only the last file it played. Many times I'll have to stop a movie midway and watch something else because of my wife. Coming back to that movie I had to FF to the scene I last watched. Had I known Zidoo cannot do this, I definitely wouldn't have bought this player. I'm pretty sure many users also feel the same. WDTV got this one right at least.
Hi,you can enable the bookmark function in player ---Settings --Advanced --Bookmark

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - cobric - 2016-12-21

(2016-12-21, 08:50)rockhard Wrote: Here's my review of Zidoo X8 (v 1.2.7) after using it for two weeks.

My setup
2. Pioneer VSX 521 (Supports DTS-HD MA and TrueHD but no ATMOS) with Wharfdale 5.1 speakers

It's a budget setup as I'm no audio enthusiast. My previous media player was wdtv live hd which I've used for six years until I broke the HDMI port(My fault).

Positives

Didn't have any problem setting this up. Used the recommended settings mentioned in the first post. Boot is fast compared to WDTV. Layout is also nicer. Connected to SMB without any issue. WDTV had a big problem with that. I played different types of movies(using external player). All played without any issues. This includes MKV, MP4, AVI, 1080p, 720p, 25 frames,24 frames, AAC, DTS, DD, DTS HD. DId not notice any judder or dropouts.It also played an 18 gig HEVC 10bit file without any issues. Picture quality is excellent. One of my friend whose kids were watching Secret Life of Pets and he commented that compared to his blu-ray player the picture quality is much better. The remote does everything I need(play, pause, FF,Rewind). It's a bit flimsy though and you need to point it directly to the unit.

Negatives

1. The unit turns on automatically when connected to main. Would've liked this to stay on standby. However I've the same happening with wdtv so this does not bother me much
2. Subtitles with html tags does not work. It shows the full html instead of the rendered text. The issue is only with the external player. Kodi shows the html subtitles perfectly
3. If I'm playing movies with DTS-HD or TrueHD and I pause the movie, it makes an annoying and grating sound. Right now I'm getting around this by muting the sound. This dues not happen with normal DTS or DD or any other formats. only DTS-HS and TrueHD
4. Last one and this is the deal breaker for me. The external player will not remember resume points for multiple files. Only the last file it played. Many times I'll have to stop a movie midway and watch something else because of my wife. Coming back to that movie I had to FF to the scene I last watched. Had I known Zidoo cannot do this, I definitely wouldn't have bought this player. I'm pretty sure many users also feel the same. WDTV got this one right at least.

I'd like to give it a A- based on my experience but for point 3 and specially 4 my rating for the player is B-

1. You can disable CEC control under settings in Zidoo

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - Caramba69 - 2016-12-21

(2016-12-19, 19:04)hdmkv Wrote: Looks like Zidoo is getting ready to post a beta testers only f/w v1.2.8_Beta2 in the Best Test Group section of their forum. This is a welcome move.

Hoping @wesk05 signs up, @movie78, @OlivierQC and anyone else who wants to help test if some of the recently reported buggy behaviors have been addressed.

How can I join the beta group?

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - rockhard - 2016-12-21

(2016-12-21, 11:07)mirror88 Wrote:
(2016-12-21, 08:50)rockhard Wrote: 4. Last one and this is the deal breaker for me. The external player will not remember resume points for multiple files. Only the last file it played. Many times I'll have to stop a movie midway and watch something else because of my wife. Coming back to that movie I had to FF to the scene I last watched. Had I known Zidoo cannot do this, I definitely wouldn't have bought this player. I'm pretty sure many users also feel the same. WDTV got this one right at least.
Hi,you can enable the bookmark function in player ---Settings --Advanced --Bookmark

Hi Mirror88

You're probably misunderstanding what I'm saying. It does work but only for the last movie I watch. Say I'm watching Movie A and then stop at 40 minute mark. I then play Movie A again. It'll start at 40 minute mark. However lets say instead of watching Movie A I watch Movie B and stop at 30 minute mark. If I now go back to watch Movie A it'll start from the beginning instead of starting at 40. This only happens with the native player. Kodi itself resumes just fine

Besides the bookmark option is already on. I think it's on by default in 1.2.7

(2016-12-21, 11:44)cobric Wrote:
(2016-12-21, 08:50)rockhard Wrote: Here's my review of Zidoo X8 (v 1.2.7) after using it for two weeks.

My setup

Positives

Negatives

1. You can disable CEC control under settings in Zidoo

It is disabled

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - mirror88 - 2016-12-21

(2016-12-21, 12:48)rockhard Wrote:
(2016-12-21, 11:07)mirror88 Wrote:

Hi Mirror88

You're probably misunderstanding what I'm saying. It does work but only for the last movie I watch. Say I'm watching Movie A and then stop at 40 minute mark. I then play Movie A again. It'll start at 40 minute mark. However lets say instead of watching Movie A I watch Movie B and stop at 30 minute mark. If I now go back to watch Movie A it'll start from the beginning instead of starting at 40. This only happens with the native player. Kodi itself resumes just fine

I need to retrace your steps? Tried 10 movies no problem.

(2016-12-21, 14:01)mirror88 Wrote:
(2016-12-21, 12:48)rockhard Wrote:
(2016-12-21, 11:07)mirror88 Wrote: Hi,you can enable the bookmark function in player ---Settings --Advanced --Bookmark

Hi Mirror88

I need to retrace your steps? Tried 10 movies no problem.

Will be happy to help you solve this issue, I'll make a video of this and send you a link tomorrow