Kodi Community Forum
Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use (/showthread.php?tid=291943)

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - wrxtasy - 2017-01-16

Here is an extract from the Mi Box thread to easily connect to an Android device from a PC and transfer files....

Quote:
4) Easiest way to use X-Plore App, enable WiFi Server (note IP address) & use PC Webbrowser to upload .zips to:
Mi Box > Android > Download folder

5) Use X-Plore App (enable hidden files in X-Plore config) to copy the folders that popout out from the .zip files (click on them).
Into SDcard > Android > data > org.xbmc.kodi > files > .kodi > addons

ZDMC files would likely be in some sort of folder named SDcard > Android > data > org.xbmc.zdmc > files ....
You can even .zip the required folder and then transfer or copy the .zip file I would think, as a backup.

But there is one thing I agree upon. Factory resetting all the time is not the way to use a Day to Day Kodi box.
You have effectively turned into a Android Firmware Test Pilot if that is happening.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - nikos_a - 2017-01-16

It causes headache considering that f/w updates from Zidoo come very often. If zidoo plans to have so many f/w updates, it may be better if they develop a backup app for ZDMC so that the whole process is automatic. I am sure they will push a new f/w very soon to fix the subs issue in 1.2.10.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - cosmi - 2017-01-16

(2017-01-16, 14:47)nikos_a Wrote: It causes headache considering that f/w updates from Zidoo come very often. If zidoo plans to have so many f/w updates, it may be better if they develop a backup app for ZDMC so that the whole process is automatic. I am sure they will push a new f/w very soon to fix the subs issue in 1.2.10.

It is a addon named backup în zdmc/kodi programs. I install it and use it. It is not perfect but it do the job 90%.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - cosmi - 2017-01-16

(2017-01-16, 11:46)nikos_a Wrote: I also did what cosmi said. It is good to have signed apps when you deal with file systems. Anything else can cause trouble. Problem is that whenever an update is pushed, if we have to do this all time, it is a pain in the butt. I lost all my add ons and settings in ZDMC. Is it safe to backup the ZDMC settings folder and restore it after the update? If yes, can anyone point the path that the zdmc settings folder resides?

A few notes about 1.2.10 and the issues I had

f) Still waiting for an answer about sharing of external SD card in OpenWRT. For me this is useful to use it as an external store place in my local network and be able to upload files (apk, media, audio etc) there. NOT ANSWERED WHY.

Slowly the machine gets better but still needs work to give value for the money spent.

I share the external SD card in OpenWRT for the same reasons like you and it work fine!
I use the samba template from zidoo forum and I add user admin to the samba share folder and in smbpasswd.
The user admin exist în OpenWRT. I just change the password with passwd command!

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - sloth - 2017-01-16

Quote:It is a addon name backdup în zdmc/kodi programs. I install it and use it. It is not perfect but it do the job 90%.
I didn't know about this addon. Could you let us know what works and what doesn't?
Quote:I use the samba template from zidoo forum and I add user admin to the samba share folder and in smbpasswd.
Could you share the link to that template?

Many thanks!

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - nikos_a - 2017-01-16

cosmi, thanks. Two things:

a) What is the name of the addon

b) I login to OpenWRT with root user (I have put a password since the default user didn't have one). I also used the Samba template from here

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/tips-and-tricks-unofficial-guides-and-fixes-user-edition.3603/#post-18049

Can you please be more specific and write a step by step guide for this:

"and I add user admin to the samba share folder and in smbpasswd.
The user admin exist în OpenWRT. I just change the password with passwd command! "

As you can see in this topic in zidoo forum, I have asked many times for help but no one bothered asking.

-Login to x9s with ssh
-change admin password: "passwd admin"
-create admin user for samba:"smbpasswd -a admin"
I use admin because this user already exist.
Now, in OpenWRT samba edit template:
[global]
netbios name = |NAME|
display charset = |CHARSET|
# interfaces = |INTERFACES|
server string = |DESCRIPTION|
unix charset = |CHARSET|
workgroup = |WORKGROUP|
browseable = yes
domain master = no
encrypt passwords = true
enable core files = no
guest account = nobody
guest ok = yes
invalid users = root
local master = no
load printers = no
map to guest = Bad User
# max protocol = SMB2
# min receivefile size = 16384
null passwords = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes
os level = 20
passdb backend = smbpasswd
preferred master = no
printable = no
security = user
smb encrypt = disabled
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
# socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
syslog = 2
writeable = yes
min receivefile size = 512
use sendfile = true
aio read size = 4096
aio write size = 4096
write cache size = 1024000
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
getwd cache = yes
oplocks = yes
#max xmit = 65535
max xmit = 131072
dead time = 0
large readwrite = yes

[share]
path = /mnt/mmcblk1p1
read only = no
#guest ok = yes
valid users = admin

The kodi addon name is " backup", funny !
I have to relogin opensubtitles.org, change subtitle search language and put addon link on home screen, weather location.

Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - bongchillog - 2017-01-16

(2017-01-16, 17:11)cosmi Wrote: The kodi addon name is " backup", funny !
I have to relogin opensubtitles.org, change subtitle search language and put addon link on home screen, weather location.

I tried to install backup and when i backup add ons every disc seems unwritable to write back up

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - dsquitieri1 - 2017-01-16

So after using the x9s would you recommend it or another box? I'm in the market for my first box, well besides the roku, I'm fairly new to cable cutting and adequate at best when it comes to tech however I am a fast learner with Google by my side!

Sent from my SM-N920V

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - hdmkv - 2017-01-16

If you need 3D MVC, yes. If not, there are better players (nVidia Shield TV, S905/905X w/LibreELEC, Chromebox...). As far as 3D MVC, best is still Intel h/w using @afedchin Kodi MVC build, with (IMHO) X9S/X8 coming in 2nd.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - dsquitieri1 - 2017-01-16

(2017-01-16, 19:51)hdmkv Wrote: If you need 3D MVC, yes. If not, there are better players (nVidia Shield TV, S905/905X w/LibreELEC, Chromebox...). As far as 3D MVC, best is still Intel h/w using @afedchin Kodi MVC build, with (IMHO) X9S/X8 coming in 2nd.
Ok so i dont need 3d, i am using my old gaming laptop right now but I could put it to better use, am I better off just staying with my laptop than buying a TV box

Sent from my SM-N920V

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - scottj01 - 2017-01-16

Well, it looks like time is running out. I was really hoping to test the X8, but haven't been able to access my SMB/NFS library at all. My opportunity to return it back to Amazon has arrived. I asked if there was a chance to test the new beta firmware, but obviously there was no interest. I guess my 10+ years as a professional software test engineer and working at Javasoft wasn't enough. Good luck with the Zidoo products. I'll stay with my Mede8er X600 for now until a real, truly functional product hits the market.

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - wrxtasy - 2017-01-17

(2017-01-16, 20:54)dsquitieri1 Wrote:
(2017-01-16, 19:51)hdmkv Wrote: If you need 3D MVC, yes. If not, there are better players (nVidia Shield TV, S905/905X w/LibreELEC, Chromebox...). As far as 3D MVC, best is still Intel h/w using @afedchin Kodi MVC build, with (IMHO) X9S/X8 coming in 2nd.
Ok so i dont need 3d, i am using my old gaming laptop right now but I could put it to better use, am I better off just staying with my laptop than buying a TV box

Sent from my SM-N920V (typie typie)
Non 3D Kodi boxes:

Best Android TV OS / Kodi device = nVIDIA Shield
Best Bang for the Buck for Kodi only = AMLogic S905 device running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton

RE: Zidoo X9S & X8 (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio): Review & User Impressions - dsquitieri1 - 2017-01-17

(2017-01-17, 03:59)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-01-16, 20:54)dsquitieri1 Wrote:

Sent from my SM-N920V (typie typie)
Non 3D Kodi boxes:

Best Android TV OS / Kodi device = nVIDIA Shield
Best Bang for the Buck for Kodi only = AMLogic S905 device running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton
There are so many amlogic s905 boxes out there, do you just pick one and go?

Sent from my SM-N920V