Kodi Community Forum
Samsung smart remote - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+---- Forum: Peripherals (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=254)
+---- Thread: Samsung smart remote (/showthread.php?tid=296793)

Samsung smart remote - Arogantis - 2016-11-13

Recently bought a shiny new samsung television and now have the smart remote that comes with it controlling kodi on my nvidia shield. My problem is that longpress of select button doesnt bring up context menu (holding down seems to send pulses which keeps pressing select over and over again instead of a down signal). I've tried to remap different buttons on the remote using keymap addon but it doesn't recognise the button presses. Anyone encounter same problem or have any ideas?

RE: Samsung smart remote - Dangelus - 2016-11-13

I don't think long press works with remotes over HDMI-CEC.

Samsung smart remote - Arogantis - 2016-11-13

I've lots of unused buttons I could use on the remote for context menu but none are recognised by keymap editor unfortunately :/

Sent from my iPhone

RE: Samsung smart remote - Ned Scott - 2016-11-14

(2016-11-13, 14:11)Dangelus Wrote: I don't think long press works with remotes over HDMI-CEC.

It can, but it's tricky for some hardware and some OSes. Out of the box, only Android seems to work since CEC is seen as a "keyboard" and not as a real remote. It's possible to hack it in to other OSes. Then how key repeat is handled, and the repeat rate itself, comes into play.

RE: Samsung smart remote - mmapurazi01 - 2018-01-10

Hey, just wondering if you managed to get it to work or if you have any workarounds?

RE: Samsung smart remote - stooovie - 2021-08-27

(2018-01-10, 02:14)mmapurazi01 Wrote: Hey, just wondering if you managed to get it to work or if you have any workarounds?

No, this remote is kind useless for Kodi. Too bad as I love its form factor.

RE: Samsung smart remote - DragonFly - 2021-09-04

(2016-11-13, 14:07)Arogantis Wrote: Recently bought a shiny new samsung television and now have the smart remote that comes with it controlling kodi on my nvidia shield. My problem is that longpress of select button doesnt bring up context menu (holding down seems to send pulses which keeps pressing select over and over again instead of a down signal). I've tried to remap different buttons on the remote using keymap addon but it doesn't recognise the button presses. Anyone encounter same problem or have any ideas?

Just seeing this post. Asked the same question a few months back. But... there is somewhat of a solution. At least, it depends on how you 'pair' your Shield to your Samsung TV.

I've had the Shield primarily connected to my Onkyo receiver. The receiver was connected to the TV. Once 'seen' by the Samsung (or manually adding it as a home cinema system), it would recognize the Onkyo and asked if there were any other devices where attached to this system. Off course I would acknowledge that and as result HDMI CEC would work for both devices.

Except long-presses. I could never bring up the context menu. The only customizable button left on the smart remote was the play/pause button, except pressing it would bring up a little samsung overlay menu which is not configurable. But then after doing some redecorating in my house, I needed to quick test everything again, so connected the Shield directly to the Samsung and manually went through the setup options on the TV. This time adding it as a NVIDIA -> Shield device. To my surprise the play/pause button now worked a 'normal' button and not show the overlay! Then I remapped some internal workings of the buttons and now a tap on this button will show the context menu when the appropriate screen is visible and pauses on full screen video. The Back buttons quits playing and the Select button shows the other controls. Will post the xml if needed.

The only drawback is I can't use DTS(X) anymore, but having a usable remote seems the better deal.