Kodi Community Forum
User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Web Interfaces (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=156)
+---- Thread: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app (/showthread.php?tid=299022)

User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - zzazzles - 2016-12-05

Is there a way to access user playlists via the Chorus2 (or any other) web interface, or via any Kodi external app?

I've played with Chorus2 and various apps, and I can't figure out how to access a user-defined playlist (other than Party mode). In Chorus2 or any of these apps, their "playlists" simply refer to what's playing, and while they allow me to create/save a local playlist, there doesn't appear to be any way to access the playlists on the Kodi server (especially the smart playlists). At first I thought it might be a limitation of Chorus, but after having tried a half-dozen third-party Kodi apps, none of them seem to let me do that either. Also, I took a quick look through the Kodi JSON API and it appears that it doesn't have functions to access these user-playlists.

This is a huge problem for me because I intend to use primarily web interfaces (on tablets around the house) to control a central Kodi media server. Ideally, I'd like to access/play my user-defined "smart" playlists in Kodi. But if this is really not possible, I'd settle for some workarounds too. But I really need to do be able to do something simple via an app/a web interface, like:

1. Play one particular genre
2. Add everything in another genre to the "now playing" list

Is this even possible? Chorus2 lets me add a filter to see everything within one or more genres, but I don't see a way for me to just play them all? Am I missing something fundamental here?

Thanks

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2016-12-06

Hi zzazzles,
i am the developer of yarc (not in any repos...). Yarc can't play user defined playlists. Never intended to implement it. And as of now, i don't know if it is possilbe. but i will have a look into it next weekend.

but yarc can play a genre. maybe this helps at least a little.
it can't add everything in another genre to the playing list.

try it, and i hope your world sucks at least a very little bit less. i let you know as soon as i looked into the JSON API (in case you missed something)

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - zzazzles - 2016-12-06

Thanks tuxfuxch. I'll definitely try out yarc. Even being able to play a genre would be of great help.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2016-12-06

Hi again,
i just looked shortly into the API and think it might be possible. the way it might be possible wouldn't be an extreme hard task to do. i am now considering integrating in yarc (no promise yet!). However, the development of yarc slowed down quite a bit, and there are 2 bug i can't really find a solution.
in case these problems are small, and i implement it, i would of course notify you here.

edit: a feature request in chorus might also be a good idea (first check if someone already asked for it!). i can imagine you are not alone with your wishes, and maybe they have the recouses and like the idea. or just contribute yourselfe if you know how to program.
edit2: if i know more, i will tell you what it is about, so you could give good hints in an eventual feature reqest for chorus.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2016-12-07

ok it is possible: the json-rcp command for music playlists would be
[{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Files.GetDirectory","params":["special://musicplaylists"],"id":1}]

for video:
[{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Files.GetDirectory","params":["special://videoplaylists"],"id":1}]

it's only a part of it. it only lists them. but i am confident, that you can load them too.

now i definitely consider implementing a basic version of it.

oh btw: yarc is not as good with music as other webinterfaces. it has an album view only. you can search for an interpret on album level, but not on song level.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2016-12-08

and me again... ok i got it to work (just some hardcoded tests) with music, but not yet with a movie smart playlist/normal playlists.
i had also an idea how to implement it in a way i like it. so i will go for it (at least for music for now). but i realised there are some hooks, so it might take a while until i have it, after that there are some more bugs i have to find before release an updated version

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2016-12-08

what filetype have your playlists? .m3u? .xsp?

EDIT: don't bother, it does not matter i realised while investigating my error.

i also found out, that yatse can already solve both your problems. if you have android you should give it a try.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - dawed - 2016-12-08

Own Playlist? @tuxfuxch that would be awesome for my case as well! Big Grin

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - zzazzles - 2016-12-09

Thanks tuxfuxch! I'll definitely test out your additions to yarc when you have it.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - jez500 - 2017-01-09

The latest version of Chorus2 has user and smart playlist support (under browser), you can also export the playlists you have created in the browser to m3u

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - zzazzles - 2017-01-11

Yes, THANK YOU! That's truly a life saver! =)

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2017-03-23

hi zzazzles,
as i promised, i implemented a very basic function in yarc. i am sure you found already a good solution (and one which might be better than mine, since i started with basic function, and might improve it later. have a go here if you want to try, and you might want to follow the thread and read changelog updates in the future:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198217&pid=2554059#pid2554059

it would also be nice to hear with what solution you ended up, so that other readers might profit from it.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - zzazzles - 2017-03-28

Thanks tuxfuxch! I will definitely try it out after work cools down this week.

In the meantime, I've been using chorus2, and mostly relying on the lists feature to access my playlists. This works somewhat, but since the list of songs is actually loaded into chorus, it can be very slow as most of my smart playlists return lots of results. I'll definitely try out yarc.

RE: User playlists in Web interface or third-party app - tuxfuxch - 2017-03-29

you will have the same problem with yarc. feedback of any kind is welcome.