Kodi Community Forum
WDTV Live Streaming replacement. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: WDTV Live Streaming replacement. (/showthread.php?tid=301257)

Pages: 1 2

WDTV Live Streaming replacement. - RRaoD - 2016-12-18

I have been using the WDTV Live Streaming Gen3 box for the last 5 years and was happy about it. But it has reached its end of life and I need a replacement box.

I have a large collection of movies and TV episodes on two 4TB external hard disks, and I was using a 10 port USB 2.0 powered hub to connect to WDTV player. My present setup also includes a 55" smart LED TV and a decent home theater system. The WDTV box is still working but has become sluggish with continuous growth of my library over the years. Sad

I normally use my smart TV and Chromecast for watching Netflix, Youtube etc. so streaming apps on Kodi is not very important. I need a Kodi box for playing this collection of offline media, audio files and personal collection of digital photos.

I should also be able to scrap the metadata and images for movies, TV episodes and audio collection similar to WDTV. I also prefer a similar gallery view of WDTV with movie information, wallpapers etc. on Kodi box (not just a file list view).

I am thinking of the Kodi box specs in these lines...

Quad core or preferably Octa core processor 64 bit support
2 or 3GB DDR RAM
16/32GB onboard storage space for OS (android 6.0 or later) and apps.
microSD/SD port for expansion
OS (Android or Android TV?)
3 to 4 USB 2.0 ports (USB 3.0 preferable) for connecting 4TB powered external HDDs
Wifi with b/g/n/ac support
LAN port with RJ45 socket
HDMI 1.2 or better
SPDIF TOSLINK optical port
A good remote control / keyboard should be included.

I have reviewed some boxes on amazon but could not make up my mind. Huh

I would like to buy a box which satisfy all my above requirements ASAP.

I appreciate any help in this regard. Smile

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - hdmkv - 2016-12-18

Consider Mi Box (and Fire TV gen 2) ... I was one of the early adopters of Mi Box, and found it sluggish, and basically didn't think much of it. Fast forward 3 months, and I decided to re-buy one yesterday on a whim while at Wal-Mart and I'm pretty impressed.

Xiaomi must have pushed a f/w update or two as I found the box snappy, and SPMC works very well on it. Best of all the AC wi-fi is excellent, even streaming most 1:1 BD rips. Read @wrxtasy's review here.

nVidia Shield is still better if you want more powerful, faster with proper framerate switching and HD audio... but, for a solid connect to a 1080p or 4K TV and just enjoy, I'd recommend a Mi Box or Fire TV Gen 2 now.

Another option (as you said you use Netflix, etc. via your smart TV) is to set-up a pure Kodi box using LibreELEC. Two options: AMLogic S905/905X box ($35-60) or Chromebox ($120-150). You get proper framerates and full HD audio.

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - ozkhan1 - 2016-12-18

+1 for mibox or shield. You won't need to use your smart tv apps or chrome cast because they are built into both and they also have Kodi. Shield tv is better in my opinion because it more powerful has Ethernet as well mibox only has wifi

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - fmedrano1977 - 2016-12-19

Chromebox, can be had for around $100 on EBAY.

Sent from my HTC 10

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - wesk05 - 2016-12-19

Can't say whether SPDIF is an absolute requirement for the OP. If it is then Chromebox, Shield etc. are out of the picture. You will be left with the Xiaomi Mi and other cheaper Chinese Android boxes.

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - ozkhan1 - 2016-12-19

There are USB adapter for optical audio

(2016-12-19, 01:36)ozkhan1 Wrote: There are USB adapter for optical audio

That is another $25-30.

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - nickr - 2016-12-19

Avoid android IMHO. I would get another Odroid c2 without hesitation and use LibreELEC. Or any s905 or s905x that can use LibreELEC.

If your needs are limited to 1080 then yes a chromebox (wiki) (again with LibreELEC) is brilliant.

As ozkhan1 says, you can use a USB device to get you SPDIF audio if you want/need it.

I reread your required specs rraod. I am personally not aware of any mainstream android boxes with Ethernet and optical audio ports as well as >2 USB ports. Mibox has optical audio but not Ethernet. Nvidia shield has Ethernet but no optical audio. But I feel shield can be a compromise using a USB adapter for optical audio. It does not come with a remote either u have to buy it separately. You can also look at the wetek products which I hear are pretty good but I personally have no experience with them. Apart from mibox, wetek and shield, you can also consider nexus player but it's discontinued. It also does not have Ethernet .

My personal advice is to stay away other cheap android boxes. If shield and mibox don't sound good enough, consider going the rpi or chrome box route

Forgot to mention the firetv. I believe it has both optical and Ethernet albeit it's not your standard android ps. And it requires jumping through hoops to get Kodi to be a comfortable enough experience. Amazon keeps making the Kodi experience on their box a pain in the ass to manage so be warned..

(2016-12-19, 01:41)nickr Wrote: Avoid android IMHO. I would get another Odroid c2 without hesitation and use LibreELEC. Or any s905 or s905x that can use LibreELEC.

If your needs are limited to 1080 then yes a chromebox (wiki) (again with LibreELEC) is brilliant.

As ozkhan1 says, you can use a USB device to get you SPDIF audio if you want/need it.

Nick. If I wanted to go the Librelec route with 4K/hdr as a requirement what hardware will you recommend?

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - Tinwarble - 2016-12-19

(2016-12-19, 01:41)nickr Wrote: Avoid android IMHO.

I wouldn't. Wink

(2016-12-19, 01:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: Apart from mibox, wetek and shield, you can also consider nexus player but it's discontinued. It also does not have Ethernet .

No, it's not. Asus still carries them, it's only been discontinued in the Google store.

https://www.asus.com/us/Home-Entertainment/Nexus_Player/

Though the are currently showing as "Temporarily Out of Stock", but you can order one from Walmart online.

I stand corrected...

Does the Asia version comes with android tv N?

RE: Replacement Kodi box for WDTV Live Gen3 - nickr - 2016-12-19

Not sure about HDR, it's not something I have studied, or even have at tv for.

(2016-12-17, 18:01)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-12-17, 16:57)Nekromantik Wrote: Hi all im new to this thread but got a question, the new NUC with Apollo Lake chips that have 10 bit HEVC decode.
Can these under no circumstances playback HDR files properly?
Will Linux never have this feature?

Thanks

From a mathematical point of view, the answer is concerning the probability clearly: No.
(2016-12-17, 18:27)fritsch Wrote: But then my "writing capabilities" suck and I "Sheldonize", hehe.
This is what @fritsch said about HDR & Linux. Now, I'm not sure what exactly he is trying to say. It could be that it is "sheldonized" Wink