Kodi Community Forum
OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Tvheadend (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=168)
+---- Thread: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG (/showthread.php?tid=302365)

Pages: 1 2

OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - wurlizer1928 - 2016-12-28

OSMC, for whatever reason is giving me a vastly superior video/audio stability experience over OpenElec or LibreElec [both great products but just not working for me with an HDHR Extend OTA tuner], and even the HDHR addon for Live TV. Actually the HDHR addon is by far the worse with buffering, audio breakup.... while the OSMC/TVHeadend is rock solid.

Got the Live TV and Recording working fine but cannot seem to get Zap2XML working for an EPG.

I downloaded https://github.com/edit4ever/zap2xml and in OSMC/KODI Programs I added this addon, entered my e-mail/password and it seemed to accept the install without any protests. It shows as running on my OSMC/TVHeadend/RPi 3 server

I rebooted OSMC/KODI/RPi then went to my PC and logged into TVHeadend/backend's web page. So far so good BUT!

Nowhere does XMLTV:tv_grab_zap2xml... appear in the "Internal Grabber" dialog drop down box and of course if I tried to edit a channel, there is nothing to select for EPG. I had been following Ronnie Bailey's video which is actually OpenElec but certainly got me further than I would on my own.

Being a Linux ignoramus, I am now at a lost as to where to turn.

I had loaded Zap2XML on my Win 7 PC just to verify I could generate an XML file with EPG data and it worked perfectly.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - oldtvwatcher - 2016-12-29

See "Some hints for getting free-to-air satellite channels into the Electronic Program Guide in Kodi or XBMC (or another frontend)" and especially note the third paragraph - you probably need to install the tv_grab_file script as indicated in that article.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - wurlizer1928 - 2016-12-29

Thanks xbmclinuxuser.

Here is where my all too limited knowledge of Linux creates problems.

I would have thought the addon would contain all that was needed minus configuration for login/password, update intervals, etc but obviously that is not the case.

I see, based upon the link you supplied, that tv-grab-file might be needed so I went to the GitHub link and started to stumble.

Is there an apt get or other syntax that can point to this GitHub link or must I download the file to my PC and move it to the suggested directory on the RPi?

Don't assume I know ANYTHING in Linux other than how to spell it.

The reason for the apt get question, is for some reason this RPi running OSMC cannot be browsed by my Win 7 PC even if I use it's IP address so I cannot push a file to the RPi. SSH via Putty works fine but right now if I had to manually move a file from my Win 7 PC to the RPi I could not.

My other RPi running LibreElec can be browsed by my Win 7 PC and I could manually move files to it.

Strange as the OSMC/RPi had no problem with loading the Zap2XML addon zip file which was I had placed on my NAS device from my Win 7 PC. Same Workgroup.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - edit4ever - 2016-12-29

The issue is likely caused by the grabber not having the correct executable flag. This can happen if you just download the source from github instead of downloading a release.

Try installing this update: https://github.com/edit4ever/script.module.zap2xml/releases/download/v0.6.0/script.module.zap2xml-0.6.0.zip

Reboot and see if the grabber shows up in the TVH system.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - oldtvwatcher - 2016-12-30

edit4ever: He is running OSMC, not one of the -Elec releases (which I personally dislike for a number of reasons). Are you sure your grabber will work for him? It says "zap2xml in Python 2.7 for use on LibreELEC and OpenELEC systems" so I assumed it was limited to use on those.

wurlizer1928: I am not a Linux guru myself but you will learn, just need to give yourself some time. apt-get can can only be used for downloading programs from repositories and tv-grab-file isn't a program, it's a bash script.

Since you are new to Linux I will just suggest you install Midnight Commander using
apt-get install mc
If you have any experience with dual-pane file managers such as Total Commander, that will make life easier for you.

Before you do anything else, type
which bash
at a command line prompt. If it returns a directory path such as /bin/bash you are good to proceed. If not, you don't have the bash shell installed and this version of tv-grab-file won't work.

You should be able to download the tv-grab-file directly to your Pi using the wget command: wget https://github.com/Rigolo/tv-grab-file/archive/master.zip
(Right click and copy the URL to get the full link since the board truncates it).

But then you will need to unzip the archive and move the script to the correct directory. I find it easiest to do this in Midnight Commander.

After you have Midnight Commander installed:

sudo mc (BE CAREFUL, ONE WRONG MOVE AND YOU CAN SERIOUSLY HOSE YOUR SYSTEM. I suggest playing around with Midnight Commander a little as a user before you go invoking it with sudo).

In one pane find the zip file you downloaded and double click on it, it should open and show the two files inside (this unzips the file in a temporary directory long enough for you to copy the file out).

In the other pane change to the /usr/bin directory. Scroll down and you should see the other grabber files used by TVHeadend

Copy the tv_grab_file script file (not the readme) to /usr/bin by highlighting it and pressing F5 or clicking the copy button at the bottom.

Now tab to the /usr/bin directory and scroll to the newly copied file. Click on it once to highlight it, then on the top menu click File and when the dropdown appears, click "Advanced Chown"

The permissions should be set as follows: Owner rwx, group r-x, other r-x, and the Owner and Group should both be set to root. If they are not set that way then you can change them from within that dialog - just tab to the field you want to change and for a permission type the letter r, w, or x to toggle that setting, and for the owner and group click on those and select the correct settings from the dropdown.

Linux purists will hate me with the burning hate of a thousand suns for telling you to do it that way but once you have figured it out, it's a lot easier than trying to remember the correct Linux commands and their syntax. But if you want to learn to change permissions and ownership "the Linux way", that's fine too.

Anyway, once that is done you should exit Midnight Commander using the button at the bottom (exit the Advanced Chown dialog first) or by pressing F10, if that is passed through to your terminal program.

DON'T use sudo when invoking Midnight Commander unless you really need to in order to do something you would not normally be allowed to do because of permissions/ownership issues, as was the case here.

Now tv_grab_file should appear in your list of grabbers and hopefully you can follow the article from there.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - macoslog - 2017-03-28

This is an easy way to get tv-grab_file

cd /usr/bin

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Rigolo/tv-grab-file/master/tv_grab_file

(enter your password for sudo, then wait for the file to download, when it is finished…)

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/tv_grab_file

Easy way.... but i still can't get it to work.....grrrrr....lol

why it's so easy to install addons on libreelec or openelec....and i can't get this work on a better system like OSMC....lol

any help folks?? to install this and get Zap2XML ( https://github.com/edit4ever/zap2xml ) on OSMC to work with a wiki step by step??

thanks !!

Macoslog

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - macoslog - 2017-03-28

edit4ever you addon is genial..on openelec or libreelec....but we want this working on OSMC......can you help out...lol

Macoslog

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - wurlizer1928 - 2017-03-28

xbmclinuxuser , Thank you very much for such detailed information and I apologize for not responding sooner but I just got the e-mail notification of a post on this thread today 3/28/2017.

Since I had posted my situation has changed.

1) After Kodi "updated" to version 17, which in most respects seems to be a good update, live OTA TV was a total failure.
2) Now anything recorded via OSMC/TVHeadend contains video but no audio. Or the video freezes on the very first image and the audio continues.
3) Posting any logs to this forum no longer is a viable solution as I have loaded on to MY system and MY hardware addons they don't approve of.
4) So with no support, no audio or no video on live TV, I have gone back to the WMC/ServerWMC and now have live and recorded OTA TV albeit I have to leave my laptop on 24/7.
5) Google's Live Channels with DVR would have seem to be my final solution except on ONLY OTA channels I get the message that there is no audio and to try a different TV as there must be a license missing in the NVIDIA Shield->Panasonic Plasma TV->Samsung sound bar chain.

7)So I am back with ServerWMC on a Win 7 laptop until MS drops the EPG service. If I knew the windows option would be supported, I'd buy another small Windows PC for this application.

The total irony here is I am not trying to steal anything as I am perfectly willing to pay for what I watch [and for an EPG service] but not willing to pay AND also have to watch the same commercial many times over and pay for hundreds of channels I will never watch via Cable.

Looks like KODI is not the solution for people like me, willing to pay a reasonable amount for what they view and not also be subjected to endless, almost 1 third of the viewing time, commercials.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - edit4ever - 2017-03-29

For OSMC...I'm guessing I need to update the addon to deal with the different OS folder structure. If you install the addon from within kodi - look in your kodi/userdata/addons folder and let me know if you see the script.module.zap2xml folder.

I don't have any system with OSMC installed, so I can't test this and unfortunately, it will be a few weeks before I return to my home setup and can try an OSMC install. In the meantime, I can hopefully walk you through getting it up and running.

just for reference...here is the latest download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lc09h34ydtloq9/script.module.zap2xml-0.6.5.zip?dl=0

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - macoslog - 2017-03-31

OK....Thanks edit4ever......just to say....it work beautifully on libreelec....& openelec......can't wait to get this on my beautifull osmc...lol

in the mean time....i will try again....to make it work from your infos...lol

ps....wish me good luck...lol

mac

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - macoslog - 2017-03-31

edit4ever....got it here..

it's here so what's next....lol

/home/osmc/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.zap2xml

/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.module.zap2xml

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - edit4ever - 2017-04-02

There could be a permission or executable issue with the grabber bin file. If you can ssh into the pi, or open a terminal window, look in both the folders listed above for a folder labeled bin. In that folder should be a file labeled tv_grab_zap2xml - make sure it has executable/permissions.

Also - can you confirm that you are running the latest 0.6.5 release? And didn't download as a zip from the source files?

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - macoslog - 2017-04-02

I'm on mac.....found the .tv_grab_zap2xml ........I have also the latest 0.6.5 release.....all permission are ok....but it does not show on tvheadend as an internal grabber like tv_grab_zap2xml....i need a soft link apparently to do that but in OSMC everything is more difficult.....lol

the tv_grab_zap2xml file is in /home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.module.zap2xml/bin

but still not showing as a grabber in TVHD even after reboot ??

We need a wiki to install a simple python addons....unreal...lol Huh

mac

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - edit4ever - 2017-04-03

could you post a screenshot of your tvheadend grabbers page?

It seem slike everything is setup right - so the OSMC install does work. (you have the files in the right folders with the right permissions)

I haven't had any feedback from a mac user before...so this is a new issue.

RE: OSMC/RPi 3 No Zap2XML EPG - wbeard52 - 2017-05-29

I am using OSMC on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the stock TVH (currently 4.0.9) and installed the zap2xml addon (version 0.6.5).

After installing the addon, I was able to get the internal grabber to see "XMLTV: tv_grab_zap2xml is a simple wrapper for zap2xml.py" by placing the file tv_grab_zap2xml into the /usr/bin directory. I then changed its permissions by using "sudo chmod +x tv_grab_zap2xml". After a restart of the TVH. It showed up in the internal grabbers.

These next steps may or may not be necessary. I needed to install two repositories onto OSMC. mechanize and beautifulsoup. I had to install them under root. I needed these repositories when I was trying to manually create the xmltv.xml file. A quick internet search will show you how to install these.

After TVH was configured with its internal grabber I let it run the script and download the data from zap2it. After a restart, I was able to setup the EPG Source for each channel under the Channels tab.

It all works. I am able to see the EPG data under the EPG data tab and after a restart of Kodi, I am able to see the data there as well.

Thanks edit4ever. Hopefully, you can modify your script to account for OSMC or someone will find this useful.