Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-04, 00:40)Tatts4Life Wrote: I've thought about getting a hub. The only thing I can't find an answer for is how the system will work with multiple phones. The issue in our home is what if I turn on the system to watch tv and then leave the house, how will the system act for my wife or kids when they want to change the channel or play the Xbox one? If they bring up the harmony app on their phone will it tell them which activity is active?

On a side note I do have the Kodi remote up and working on my phone for full control of Kodi. But the Harmony Hub is what I would really like.

It works fine on multiple devices (phone/tablet). As long as you have the Harmony app installed and connected to the same wifi networks as the Hub then you can control it.

But you do know that the Hub comes with a physical remote too?

(2017-02-04, 00:49)Veronica Wrote:
(2017-02-04, 00:02)pedromvu Wrote:
(2017-02-03, 23:28)Veronica Wrote: For anyone interested. Full Android Nougat for Shield TV 2015 and 2017.

Tested and really great firmware. Way more usable than Android TV. Highly recommended!

http://www.videomap.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1646

Enviado desde mi Moto X via Tapatalk!

If you plan to always use a mouse, and is only going to be used by you, maybe.
Did you even bother to read the thread? NO

Multiuser is working with separate google account,apps,etc and old and new controller too with mic.

I have the 2015 model and can use old remote + Logitech k400.

1. Replacing Android TV with a mobile version of Android does not make the Shield better or more usable. That is just your (and Zulu99 aka Videomapitas who pushes this stuff everywhere) opinion. It only makes it more usable if what you're expecting is a mobile experience on your TV, of which there are already plenty of devices that offer that.

2. This is not a general Android forum and what you posted has nothing to do with or does it improve Kodi. If you want to talk about custom firmware then take it to XDA or some other site dedicated to that.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - teki4u - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-04, 02:13)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-02-04, 00:40)Tatts4Life Wrote: I've thought about getting a hub. The only thing I can't find an answer for is how the system will work with multiple phones. The issue in our home is what if I turn on the system to watch tv and then leave the house, how will the system act for my wife or kids when they want to change the channel or play the Xbox one? If they bring up the harmony app on their phone will it tell them which activity is active?

On a side note I do have the Kodi remote up and working on my phone for full control of Kodi. But the Harmony Hub is what I would really like.

It works fine on multiple devices (phone/tablet). As long as you have the Harmony app installed and connected to the same wifi networks as the Hub then you can control it.

But you do know that the Hub comes with a physical remote too?

(2017-02-04, 00:49)Veronica Wrote:
(2017-02-04, 00:02)pedromvu Wrote: If you plan to always use a mouse, and is only going to be used by you, maybe.
Did you even bother to read the thread? NO

Multiuser is working with separate google account,apps,etc and old and new controller too with mic.

I have the 2015 model and can use old remote + Logitech k400.

1. Replacing Android TV with a mobile version of Android does not make the Shield better or more usable. That is just your (and Zulu99 aka Videomapitas who pushes this stuff everywhere) opinion. It only makes it more usable if what you're expecting is a mobile experience on your TV, of which there are already plenty of devices that offer that.

2. This is not a general Android forum and what you posted has nothing to do with or does it improve Kodi. If you want to talk about custom firmware then take it to XDA or some other site dedicated to that.
It was not my intention to open a discussion about that firmware,i posted it as information just that. Many power users frequent this forum aswell and anyway is a firmware where you can install kodi aswell,many things can co-relate to Kodi and many offtopic here I've read,yet people think about Kodi somehow before posting.

You can remove it if you want, is just informative news.
For taste the colors we say translated in spanish. Go with what works best for you and i already chose.

Good day/night to everyone, bye.

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Rpcz - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-03, 22:53)PatK Wrote: I get this.
Picked up an ADATA USB 3 stick, and trying to use it as internally formatted.
Didn't want to blow a bundle on an SSD that would stretch the budget,
My Kodi lib is ~10 gigs, SPMC will probably be the same.

I get this message with a samsung fit usb 3.0 drive. However, speeds measured with a1 sd test app are 91/40mb

Sent from my iPhone

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tatts4Life - 2017-02-04

Tinwarble I found this on Amazon. It's also on the Logitech website too. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Smartphone-Entertainment-Automation/dp/B00N3RFC4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486172864&sr=8-2&keywords=Logitech+hub

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-04, 03:45)Rpcz Wrote:
(2017-02-03, 22:53)PatK Wrote: I get this.
Picked up an ADATA USB 3 stick, and trying to use it as internally formatted.
Didn't want to blow a bundle on an SSD that would stretch the budget,
My Kodi lib is ~10 gigs, SPMC will probably be the same.

I get this message with a samsung fit usb 3.0 drive. However, speeds measured with a1 sd test app are 91/40mb

I wouldn't worry about the "drive appears to be slow" message unless the speed tests actually come back as the drive being below 60/30MB read & write, this is the bare minimum for any drive that I would accept as being useful for adopted storage. Android may give you a false positive for some drives and show them being slower than they actually are.

When you do the tests though, make sure you do a full test in A1 to make sure that you're not getting cached reads, especially if you're doing the tests after you adopted.

(2017-02-04, 03:51)Tatts4Life Wrote: Tinwarble I found this on Amazon. It's also on the Logitech website too. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Smartphone-Entertainment-Automation/dp/B00N3RFC4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486172864&sr=8-2&keywords=Logitech+hub

The one I linked to is the one that I recommend (and the one that I have), though you missed the deal now since it's back to regular price. But that one will work too, it's basically the same thing it just doesn't come with the physical remote.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - PatK - 2017-02-04

@Tinwarble

We had a power outage, everything rebooted and didn't get the 'appears slow' notice this time round, configured the drive and it seems speedy enough. I did another test after being adopted and it came back read 99 MBs and 33 MBs writes, not as good as I hoped, but survivable.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-04, 03:51)Tatts4Life Wrote: Tinwarble I found this on Amazon. It's also on the Logitech website too. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Smartphone-Entertainment-Automation/dp/B00N3RFC4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486172864&sr=8-2&keywords=Logitech+hub

Quote:The one I linked to is the one that I recommend (and the one that I have), though you missed the deal now since it's back to regular price. But that one will work too, it's basically the same thing it just doesn't come with the physical remote.

They had the one that also comes with a remote (no lcd screen) on sale for 69.99 today. It's going to take awhile to arrive, but I have a few other Harmonies so there's no rush.

http://a.co/d6eZymd (looks like the price is back up to normal, I think they were price matching Fry's earlier)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - nerto - 2017-02-04

Quote:wesk05 Wrote:
If you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually.
Does this mean even if i use a avr with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and TV with a 2.0 Hdmi, that i can switch frame rate, because my shield doesn't switch the framerate anyone. So I have the wrong settings or it's a bug in the firmware?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DaMacFunkin - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-04, 12:02)nerto Wrote:
Quote:wesk05 Wrote:
If you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually.
Does this mean even if i use a avr with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and TV with a 2.0 Hdmi, that i can switch frame rate, because my shield doesn't switch the framerate anyone. So I have the wrong settings or it's a bug in the firmware?
The firmware is one big bug...
You should be able to switch refresh rate in SPMC.
Not in apps because Nvidia are too lazy to implement it.

(2017-02-04, 12:09)DaMacFunkin Wrote: The firmware is one big bug...
You should be able to switch refresh rate in SPMC.
Not in apps because Nvidia are too lazy to implement it.

It has nothing to do with Nvidia being too lazy, the API is there just as it is for Kodi and Plex. It's up to app devs to implement it because there is no global frame rate switching in Android.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - markus7 - 2017-02-05

(2017-01-20, 20:54)wesk05 Wrote: if you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually.

I'm seeing the exact same symptoms with a Denon AVR-X4200W (HDMI 2.0) and LG PF1000U (HDMI 1.4). When connecting the Shield 2 directly to the projector refresh rate and color space switching works just fine.

Does anybody know what is causing this? Is it the Shield or the AVR? I'm currently talking to Nvidia support which asks me to get in contact with Denon support...

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-02-05

(2017-02-05, 00:26)markus7 Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 20:54)wesk05 Wrote: if you have the Shield connected to a newer AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 port and then have the AVR connected to a HDMI/HDCP 1.4 display, Kodi/SPCM/Plex/Archos Video/ViMu Media Player or any other app that supports refresh rate switching will not be able to switch the refresh rate. The refresh rate will remain on whatever you have set in "Display & Sound". With update 5.0 there is an additional bug: you can't even change the refresh rate or color space manually.

I'm seeing the exact same symptoms with a Denon AVR-X4200W (HDMI 2.0) and LG PF1000U (HDMI 1.4). When connecting the Shield 2 directly to the projector refresh rate and color space switching works just fine.

Does anybody know what is causing this? Is it the Shield or the AVR? I'm currently talking to Nvidia support which asks me to get in contact with Denon support...

It's on Nvidias side, nothing to do with any specific AVR. The issue has been pushed up to Nvidia, as well as several other issues, and I'll post what they have to say as soon as I get a response.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - charliebrown - 2017-02-05

Is there anyway to get a external harddrive to spindown when connected to shield while it sleeps?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - tredman - 2017-02-05

Not sure if this is allowed on here, but since SPMC is talked about a lot I thought I'd give a bit of feedback on the MrMC beta. Its really working well on the shield, seems very stable with all audio passthrough and refresh rate switching options working well. The Plex library integration is particularly good, especially with the shield's build in server.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - woxxi - 2017-02-06

I was wondering if it's possible to get the sound through headphone plugged into remote controller and speakers at the same time? Maybe via an App to force both to play sound?