Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Powerhouse - 2017-03-22

Now that SMB is fixed in Kodi 17.1 for Android, I would definitely use SMB Shares on your NAS, and just connect to them through Kodi on your Shield TV.

The Backup feature in the Kodi repository is garbage, and should be avoided (I've had way to many issues with it over the years, and it doesn't always work as you've found out).

I realize Android is new for you, it was for me as well, and I started by using ES File Explorer, and it started doing weird behavior, so I removed it. then found X-Plore, which is way different from ES File Explorer and even Windows Explorer. But it just takes a little bit of use to get used to it. One thing that @Tinwarble said that I missed was the setting to show hidden files in X-Plore.

"It has 2 working planes and menu in the center. Go to "Menu" and select, then select "Configuration". In the configuration menu make sure that you have "Show Hidden files" selected, it's the first item in the list."

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-22

Right. I did that, but when I found the .kodi folder it was greyed out. I could not copy it. I went up one level and copied the whole "files" hierarchy (I think) but when I went back in to Kodi--or tried to--it had eaten itself once again. At that point I just wiped the entire thing and started over. I'm mostly back up and running, but Trakt is scrobbling everything once more, and that's at least an hour of downtime.

Once this is finally set up and configured as I want I'd like to try and copy the .kodi folder, but the question is where do I copy it to at this point. My destination of choice is on a different PC or to the cloud, not to anything physically attached to the Shield after all that's happened before. But my experience in that regard is X-Plore can't copy the .kodi folder. I'm deathly afraid to touch anything once i'm at this point.

Also, my VPN provider's Android client does *not* work on the Shield. Can it be side-loaded somehow or is there any way to achieve secure VPN service on the Shield?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - SootAndPooh - 2017-03-23

(2017-03-17, 20:26)cscoppa Wrote: What I tend to do is leave the display settings of the Shield on 1080p / rec 709 for daily, live TV use... and then switch to 4K / BT.2020 when I'm going to watch 4K HDR content from the Shield. I find the colors more accurate and it lets the TV do the upscaling, which in my case is an LG 65" OLED B6. An added bonus is my AVR's volume overlay works this way. (mine can't overlay anything over 4K)

I should add Kodi / SPMC can perfectly playback 4K content in HDR10 mode as long as you have the Shield and your TV's input setup correctly. Here's a sample file you can download to test that HDR mode is working correctly: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=145
Do you mind me asking what settings you use to get HDR10 content working properly on the shield via SPMC? I have an LG 55" OLED B6 but for all my 4K 24p content played via SPMC I get some colour banding. When I play the same file via usb connect to the TV I don't get the color banding. If I force the refresh rate in SPMC to 60Hz again I don't get color banding (but is unwatchable on account of the mismatched refresh rates). In all those tests the HDR indicator pops up on the TV when i play the file.

I've tested it on the shield at 4k @ 60Hz with colour space 4:2:0 10-bit Rec 2020 and also at 4k @ 23.976Hz 4:2:2 12 bit Rec 2020. That's the only Rec 2020 option I get at 23.976Hz

Any 4K 60p HDR content plays perfectly via SPMC.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-23

OK, so here we are, back at the same point. Kodi ate itself as soon as I backed it up to a network share. It had been working reliably for 2 hours prior to the attempt. Once backed up, boom. Gone.

Here is the log's pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/t97GVk73

Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong?

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - bhoot - 2017-03-23

Can people suggest some very nice skins for Kodi on the shield? Also what tweaks are people installing (not add-on stuff to watch)? What are top 5 tweaks/utils you install?

ThankYou - Bhoot[emoji769]

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-23

I've always loved the Amber skin. It's the only one I found that's wife-freindly around these parts, and also has more options than Estuary (or Confluence before it).

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - hdmkv - 2017-03-23

I love Arctic: Zephyr ... simple, elegant, yet very customizable.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-03-23

(2017-03-23, 02:18)SootAndPooh Wrote:
(2017-03-17, 20:26)cscoppa Wrote: What I tend to do is leave the display settings of the Shield on 1080p / rec 709 for daily, live TV use... and then switch to 4K / BT.2020 when I'm going to watch 4K HDR content from the Shield. I find the colors more accurate and it lets the TV do the upscaling, which in my case is an LG 65" OLED B6. An added bonus is my AVR's volume overlay works this way. (mine can't overlay anything over 4K)

I should add Kodi / SPMC can perfectly playback 4K content in HDR10 mode as long as you have the Shield and your TV's input setup correctly. Here's a sample file you can download to test that HDR mode is working correctly: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=145
Do you mind me asking what settings you use to get HDR10 content working properly on the shield via SPMC? I have an LG 55" OLED B6 but for all my 4K 24p content played via SPMC I get some colour banding. When I play the same file via usb connect to the TV I don't get the color banding. If I force the refresh rate in SPMC to 60Hz again I don't get color banding (but is unwatchable on account of the mismatched refresh rates). In all those tests the HDR indicator pops up on the TV when i play the file.

I've tested it on the shield at 4k @ 60Hz with colour space 4:2:0 10-bit Rec 2020 and also at 4k @ 23.976Hz 4:2:2 12 bit Rec 2020. That's the only Rec 2020 option I get at 23.976Hz

Any 4K 60p HDR content plays perfectly via SPMC.

I use 10 bit BT.2020 on the shield with resolution set to 4K. I tend to flip back and forth. (1080p for cable and "normal" content and 4K for UHD files) I noticed if I change just the resolution the Shield auto picks the appropriate color space saving a bit of time. The reason I switch is so I can use the TV's upscaler and also for my AVR's on screen volume indicator which won't overlay on top of 4K. The one catch with SPMC is the MediaCodec (Surface) hardware acceleration option HAS to be on for HDR to work. (You need to have it off to use SPMC's high quality scalers like Lanczos3)

Also I don't do any refresh rate switching. I leave it at 60 and let the tv do the "5 frames" thing. (120 divided by 24 = 5 frames each) I set dejudder to 2 or 3 and deblur to 0.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Powerhouse - 2017-03-23

(2017-03-23, 02:55)bhoot Wrote: Can people suggest some very nice skins for Kodi on the shield? Also what tweaks are people installing (not add-on stuff to watch)? What are top 5 tweaks/utils you install?

I use Aeon MQ7 (which isn't currently in the Kodi repository, as they are working to fix something the Kodi dev's require first). It is probably one of the best Skins for Kodi (it's up there with Aeon Nox, and a few others). One of the best features I've found is you can add or remove things from the Main Kodi interface. It also includes lots of Add-on's and utilities built in (Artist Slideshow, Movie Set Artwork Automator, CDArt Manager, Widgets, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMiy8XZPmQ

Check it out here...
http://www.xbmcbrasil.net/
(Google Translate is your friend)
You will need to create an account to download the repo (or you can wait till it's officially on Kodi's).

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - artou - 2017-03-25

(2017-03-23, 18:52)Powerhouse Wrote:
(2017-03-23, 02:55)bhoot Wrote: Can people suggest some very nice skins for Kodi on the shield? Also what tweaks are people installing (not add-on stuff to watch)? What are top 5 tweaks/utils you install?

I use Aeon MQ7 (which isn't currently in the Kodi repository, as they are working to fix something the Kodi dev's require first). It is probably one of the best Skins for Kodi (it's up there with Aeon Nox, and a few others). One of the best features I've found is you can add or remove things from the Main Kodi interface. It also includes lots of Add-on's and utilities built in (Artist Slideshow, Movie Set Artwork Automator, CDArt Manager, Widgets, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMiy8XZPmQ

Check it out here...
http://www.xbmcbrasil.net/
(Google Translate is your friend)
You will need to create an account to download the repo (or you can wait till it's officially on Kodi's).

+1 for AeonMQ7, it's worth the work to get it installed

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - bluestang - 2017-03-25

FYI...

Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Harmony Hub on sale for $69.99 at Best Buy & Amazon ($60 off)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-03-25

(2017-03-25, 04:12)bluestang Wrote: FYI...

Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Harmony Hub on sale for $69.99 at Best Buy & Amazon ($60 off)

I picked one of these up the last time they were on sale ... definitely recommend it. I like how it talks to the Shield via Bluetooth and even integrates with Amazon Echo (Alexa)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - enri - 2017-03-25

I have a 1080p TV and Shield with SPMC, set up as 60Hz refresh rate (shown by TV OSD)

I play around with Adjust Display Refresh Rate to play some Anime.
- Off, normal on all video, no obvious problem although I know they are 23.976 playing at 60
- Always/On start-stop, it switch to 24, 1080p source play ok - can see fast pan smooth, but 720p source do not play smooth, no sound after 2 sec, and have matrix/color square Edit: forget to mention, the VQ drop below 10%

Is this what it should behave? Have it On does not make it play smooth ...

Edit 2: After some test, if I see the slow down and color square, I rewind the clip to beginning and it will be ok after caching. I have try the advance settings xml but whether have it or not does not change this behaviors. Any tips for this?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - bluestang - 2017-03-25

Sounds like what I get when playing Blu-ray rips. Have you tried the 3 second delay? Still happens for me even with the delay one most movies. But as you said a quick tap of the rewind for a second fixes it.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - KaBoS - 2017-03-25

Hello guys
(adjust display refresh rate)
You should support the TV and AVR
To work Or all TV and AVR supported refresh rate ?

and
I use Spmc
What is the best for Movies (mkv) Bluray Remux &  Encode 1080p in 4K TV (not HDR)

Recommended video settings 1080p GUI Or Recommended video settings 4K GUI

I do not know upscale bluray movies 1080 to 4K Good or Keep on 1080p settings ?

Thanks.