Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - enri - 2017-03-26

(2017-03-25, 18:33)bluestang Wrote: Sounds like what I get when playing Blu-ray rips. Have you tried the 3 second delay? Still happens for me even with the delay one most movies. But as you said a quick tap of the rewind for a second fixes it.

No matter what delay settings is set, it is still the same. for your ref, I found this https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/725

Also, I tried Kodi 17, the delay settings will help, but it still eat the first 1 second. Any settings I can set that will not require to rewind back every time the playing start?

I also notice that my TV lose connection to the Shield TV when it is idle for several hours, the only way to bring it back is to unplug and replug the power. Any idea how to fix this? My TV is Samsung 46" 1080p tv

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - bluestang - 2017-03-26

Not sure anymore lol. But I did notice they changed the recommended video settings. I need to update to the recommended settings and test some more.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - wrxtasy - 2017-03-26

(2017-03-26, 01:57)enri Wrote: I also notice that my TV lose connection to the Shield TV when it is idle for several hours, the only way to bring it back is to unplug and replug the power. Any idea how to fix this? My TV is Samsung 46" 1080p tv
This points to a Hotplug (HDMI) Detection issue.

And in 99% of cases its faulty HDMI Hardware and HDMI detection. Either a dodgy HDMI Cable - HDMI connectors - or possibly even the AVR if that is HDMI connected.

First point of troubleshooting would be to swap out HDMI cables. Update AVR and TV Firmware.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - enri - 2017-03-26

(2017-03-26, 05:11)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-03-26, 01:57)enri Wrote: I also notice that my TV lose connection to the Shield TV when it is idle for several hours, the only way to bring it back is to unplug and replug the power. Any idea how to fix this? My TV is Samsung 46" 1080p tv
This points to a Hotplug (HDMI) Detection issue.

And in 99% of cases its faulty HDMI Hardware and HDMI detection. Either a dodgy HDMI Cable - HDMI connectors - or possibly even the AVR if that is HDMI connected.

First point of troubleshooting would be to swap out HDMI cables. Update AVR and TV Firmware.

I plug directly to to the TV itself (samsung un46es6500, hdcp 1.4), with a just bought Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 6ft Black (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428). If it is the hardware issue, it could be my TV then ~.~

I did a search and found the same described as in this link https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/906822/shield-tv/shield-tv-won-t-wake-up/2/

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-26

Posting back after a week of problems with Kodi on the Shield. I finally got a stable load of Kodi, configured as I wanted it, and it was running well for five days. Yesterday when I went in to watch something I discovered Kodi ate itself again, and nothing short of an uninstall/reinstall would get it back. That was the last straw. The Shield was wiped is going back to Amazon tomorrow, the experiment officially ended after two highly disappointing weeks. Maybe I got a bad unit; who knows. Everything else on the Shield ran nicely, but since its only purpose in my life was to have been a stable Kodi box, and it failed that rather miserably, then it's time to move on, back to Kodi on Windows. Hope everyone here has better luck getting Kodi to run nice and stable!

Here are links to the final two logs in case anybody can figure out why Kodi failed. I'd be interested to know, personally.
I suspect it didn't like the Amber skin, but I can't be sure.
http://pastebin.com/HZr1inxk
http://pastebin.com/ZyXaAWuJ

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - hoppel118 - 2017-03-26

@DXer The shield in combination with krypton works fine. I bought my shield (2015) round about 4 months ago. I am on the latest nougat for the shield.

Did you try to use kodi without the amber skin? I use krypton from PlayStore with Estuary (Plus) skin, emby for kodi and vdr (pvr) addon. Never used amber.

Do you use any other "special" addons?

Greetings Hoppel

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-26

I did not use it at length without Amber since that's the skin my family is used to using and is comfortable with. If it can't handle Amber then what's the point. It still failed regardless of add-ons (some "special", some not, sometimes none installed other than Trakt). It failed anytime I tried to back it up or copy the .kodi folder and occasionally just because it felt like it.

nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - hoppel118 - 2017-03-26

Ok, I never had problems to copy the complete "org.xbmc.kodi" folder to my sd-card and use it as a backup.

Did you also try spmc with amber on your shield?

Have a nice evening! Bye

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-03-26

(2017-03-26, 22:43)DXer Wrote: I did not use it at length without Amber since that's the skin my family is used to using and is comfortable with. If it can't handle Amber then what's the point. It still failed regardless of add-ons (some "special", some not, sometimes none installed other than Trakt). It failed anytime I tried to back it up or copy the .kodi folder and occasionally just because it felt like it.

In it's current state, at least with my Shield and Kodi 17, Amber is very flaky. Many times I'd launch Kodi and I'd get a black screen. Switched back to Confluence, no more problems.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-27

Yeah, I suspected it was the skin, but honestly if I tried to use Estuary it wouldn't have gone down well since we're used to the one skin for the last few years. Not worth the headaches.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Powerhouse - 2017-03-27

@DXer It appears the Amber skin was the issue, shame you couldn't try another skin, as there are several that are really nice (Aeon MQ7, Aeon Nox, and Transparency) to name a few. I would bet that you will have the same issues with a Windows version of Kodi 17.1 and Amber as well. But good luck, either way.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - DXer - 2017-03-27

Nope, I've been using the player under XP and later, Win7, since the XBMC days. Some issues here and there but nothing I couldn't get to the bottom of. I'm probably going to move to a NUC machine (Mini-PC). Like I said, this is a straight-up unitasker, with Plex as a backup in case Kodi goes pointy-ends up. The other big problems with the Shield were the fact it could not be controlled remotely and my VPN client would not work. Let's just say not having a VPN was as big an issue as the skin and leave it at that.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - knives of ice - 2017-03-29

finally pulled the trigger on an LG Oled 4k tv and i've never used my shield with a 4k tv thus far. can the shield playback 2160p 10bit x265 files? i wasn't sure about this since i never had the need to try in the past

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - SootAndPooh - 2017-03-29

(2017-03-23, 03:34)cscoppa Wrote: I use 10 bit BT.2020 on the shield with resolution set to 4K. I tend to flip back and forth. (1080p for cable and "normal" content and 4K for UHD files) I noticed if I change just the resolution the Shield auto picks the appropriate color space saving a bit of time. The reason I switch is so I can use the TV's upscaler and also for my AVR's on screen volume indicator which won't overlay on top of 4K. The one catch with SPMC is the MediaCodec (Surface) hardware acceleration option HAS to be on for HDR to work. (You need to have it off to use SPMC's high quality scalers like Lanczos3)

Also I don't do any refresh rate switching. I leave it at 60 and let the tv do the "5 frames" thing. (120 divided by 24 = 5 frames each) I set dejudder to 2 or 3 and deblur to 0.
Cheers for those suggestions cscoppa. Leaving refresh rate switching off is the only way I can get the 24p files to play without colour banding. While those dejudder settings help I still notice the judder which I don't get if I play the content directly though the TV USB (but then no HD audio passthrough to my soundbar) or if I set SPMC to output it at 24Hz (but then I get colour banding). Starting to think no perfect solution at this stage.