Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-05-05

(2017-05-05, 09:09)ggp759 Wrote: Quick question. Is there a problem with the shield (2017) reverting to RGB colorspace when the "auto adjust to refresh rate" option is on? Avr is HDMI 2.0 and tv is also HDMI 2.0. Is the auto refresh rate working with either spmc or kodi 17 and if it does does it use YCbCr 4:4:4 as selected in the settings? Thanks alot.

No, if you use adjust refresh rate it should use what ever you have set in the Display settings. There, however, maybe a bug where certain games can switch it back to RGB. Tomb Raider seems to be doing this, but I haven't investigated it enough to be certain.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - 007francis - 2017-05-06

Hi, first post here.
Have a few problems with playback, using a synology ds214play/nfs.

When I try to fast forward or go back, at 4x or above it freezes, x16 and so on becomes irresponsive. Any ideas ?
This happens when play any movie and doesn't happen on my mac.

Many thanks.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - nightowl6900 - 2017-05-06

Is it me or does Nvidia tv shield have the worst google play store going. Most updates I have to get from the apitode store. Hope this is allowed on the forums here. If not I apologize.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-05-06

(2017-05-06, 01:12)nightowl6900 Wrote: Is it me or does Nvidia tv shield have the worst google play store going. Most updates I have to get from the apitode store. Hope this is allowed on the forums here. If not I apologize.

I don't know what you're talking about. It's the Play Store, if you've installed an app and there is an update it will be installed just like on any other device.

If you're referring to sideloading, or apps that do not show up in the Play Store app, it's because apps have to be Android TV compatible to show up. Phone/Tablet apps don't show up because they don't have remote/controller support and/or don't support Leanback. In that case, complain to the app developers for not supporting Android TV.

(2017-05-06, 00:34)007francis Wrote: Hi, first post here.
Have a few problems with playback, using a synology ds214play/nfs.

When I try to fast forward or go back, at 4x or above it freezes, x16 and so on becomes irresponsive. Any ideas ?
This happens when play any movie and doesn't happen on my mac.

Many thanks.

If I remember correctly (don't quote me on this) I think there is a bug in Kodi which causes this issue.

You can try one of the nightlies http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm64-v8a/master/ or you'll need to provide a Debug log (wiki).

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Jeffers24 - 2017-05-06

(2017-05-06, 01:57)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-05-06, 01:12)nightowl6900 Wrote: Is it me or does Nvidia tv shield have the worst google play store going. Most updates I have to get from the apitode store. Hope this is allowed on the forums here. If not I apologize.

I don't know what you're talking about. It's the Play Store, if you've installed an app and there is an update it will be installed just like on any other device.

If you're referring to sideloading, or apps that do not show up in the Play Store app, it's because apps have to be Android TV compatible to show up. Phone/Tablet apps don't show up because they don't have remote/controller support and/or don't support Leanback. In that case, complain to the app developers for not supporting Android TV.

It's not the full Google play store! It's an abbreviated version!

A lot of useful apps are missing, ITVHub, All4................, which I have no choice but to sideload, then they don't appear in the NVidia menu selection screen :-(

It would be nice to have access to the full play store apps, which I get on other android devices

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-05-06

(2017-05-06, 07:31)Jeffers24 Wrote: It's not the full Google play store! It's an abbreviated version!

A lot of useful apps are missing, ITVHub, All4................, which I have no choice but to sideload, then they don't appear in the NVidia menu selection screen :-(

It would be nice to have access to the full play store apps, which I get on other android devices

It's not an abbreviated version, it's the full Play Store. But as I said only apps that are Android TV compatible show up and those apps that you bring up are not Android TV compatible.

It's no different than it is for any other device. If you go to the Play Store on your phone/tablet and search for Leanback Launcher or Google Cast Receiver, which are a Android TV specific apps, they will not show up. So by your definition your phone/tablet doesn't have a full Play Store either because it will only show apps that are compatible for your device.

But this has nothing to do with Kodi.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Jeffers24 - 2017-05-06

(2017-05-06, 08:29)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-05-06, 07:31)Jeffers24 Wrote: It's not the full Google play store! It's an abbreviated version!

It's not an abbreviated version, it's the full Play Store. But as I said only apps that are Android TV compatible show up and those apps that you bring up are not Android TV compatible.

It's no different than it is for any other device. If you go to the Play Store on your phone/tablet and search for Leanback Launcher or Google Cast Receiver, which are a Android TV specific apps, they will not show up. So by your definition your phone/tablet doesn't have a full Play Store either because it will only show apps that are compatible for your device.

But this has nothing to do with Kodi.

Thanks for response, I didn't think it was anything to do with Kodi :-)

The key is your information "only apps that are Android TV compatible show up". What should the definition of compatible be?

In my opinion if an app will run on your device it should be 'compatible'.

Why Google have done this is anyone's guess, just seems illogical, restrictive and a pain to overcome.

Is there a way I can change the status of my device, from 'Android TV' to something that would show all play store apps?

I've already told you what compatible means.

It requires the app to have remote/controller support and support Leanback.

It's​ up to app devs to add this support and if they don't then their app is not Android TV compatible. Touchscreen apps don't show up in the Play Store for Android TV because the good majority of TVs don't have touchscreens. That is the logic behind it and what would be illogical is to allow those apps to be on the Play Store when they wouldn't show up on Leanback and you wouldn't​ be able to control the app with the input device (remote/controller) that the device comes with.

Again though, this has nothing to do with Kodi and if you want to discuss the state of apps then you should do so on Nvidia's forum. There's plenty of threads there already about this, about sideloading and even flashing full Android.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - ggp759 - 2017-05-06

(2017-05-05, 22:15)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-05-05, 09:09)ggp759 Wrote: Quick question. Is there a problem with the shield (2017) reverting to RGB colorspace when the "auto adjust to refresh rate" option is on? Avr is HDMI 2.0 and tv is also HDMI 2.0. Is the auto refresh rate working with either spmc or kodi 17 and if it does does it use YCbCr 4:4:4 as selected in the settings? Thanks alot.

No, if you use adjust refresh rate it should use what ever you have set in the Display settings. There, however, maybe a bug where certain games can switch it back to RGB. Tomb Raider seems to be doing this, but I haven't investigated it enough to be certain.

Thanks for the reply.Not planning on playing any games. Just use it for spmc and/or kodi. So it should be fine.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - briand095 - 2017-05-11

got the shield, it's nice, awful remote though, don't like it at all, no stop button/context/etc, will have to see how cec and tv remote works out. picked up a hdhomerun so wife can get local channels...

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Martijn - 2017-05-11

(2017-05-11, 16:14)briand095 Wrote: got the shield, it's nice, awful remote though, don't like it at all, no stop button/context/etc, will have to see how cec and tv remote works out. picked up a hdhomerun so wife can get local channels...
Seriously? Then you simply don't use it as it should cause its perfect for me

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-05-11

(2017-05-11, 16:15)Martijn Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 16:14)briand095 Wrote: got the shield, it's nice, awful remote though, don't like it at all, no stop button/context/etc, will have to see how cec and tv remote works out. picked up a hdhomerun so wife can get local channels...

I'm guessing he hasn't found the long-press OK for context menu yet. Wink

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Jeffers24 - 2017-05-11

(2017-05-11, 16:30)cscoppa Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 16:15)Martijn Wrote:

Or the short press to allow you to pause, stop etc., when watching/listening to something

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - cscoppa - 2017-05-11

(2017-05-11, 16:32)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 16:30)cscoppa Wrote:
(2017-05-11, 16:15)Martijn Wrote: Seriously? Then you simply don't use it as it should cause its perfect for me

Or the short press to allow you to pause, stop etc., when watching/listening to something

... and there's double tap in the "volume bar" to play/pause

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jan 26 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-05-11

You're just not holding it right.

You can remap the back button for stop. Install the Keymap Editor add-on, go to Edit > Fullscreen Video > Playback > Stop > Edit, then press the Back button and save.

As already mentioned double tapping the volume slider will Play/Pause and long pressing Select will pull up the Context menu as well as Play/Pause.