Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - viperlogic - 2017-08-01

I've a faux 4K projector (Epson 7300) which the shield correctly detects as 4K. When playing 1080p content via Kodi/SPMC should the screen resolution drop to 1080p or is either the shield or kodi/spmc upscaling? What is the upscaling performance of the shield or kodi/spmc like? Would I be better to configure the shield to just use 1080p and either let the projector upscale or even turn 4K mode off and just use 1080p?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - wrxtasy - 2017-08-01

Maybe another one for @Tinwarble in Page #1....

ALL Android media players (excluding FireTV2), cannot App - Auto Resolution switch 1080p/4K based on the source video content being played.

Play around with a Android system Screen resolution of 1080p, and compare 1080p content upscaled to 4K by your projector/TV and then
set an Android system Screen resolution of 4k2k and again compare the 1080p > 4K video content upscaled by the Shield.

Then pick the best looking picture output and stay with that Android system Screen resolution for 1080p content.

Generally leave Android system Screen resolution at 1080p unless you are viewing 4K content all the time.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - essential - 2017-08-08

I have a Harmony question if anyone has any knowledge. I did a search and some of Powerhouse's posts kind of answered some questions but not all.

I've been using my 16GB 2015 Shield with a Harmony Elite and a Flirc for years without issue except the occasional lag. I've read over time that Logitech added Hub support for the Shield and also a Kodi specific profile. I've read bluetooth is faster than IR and finally decided to switch everything over tonight.

Everything added fine, but the Kodi profile isn't recognized from the remote but it is from the phone app, which is what I don't get. The Harmony works great for all Shield functions, but when I push a button I manually mapped to the Kodi profile device, I get "You have to use the Harmony App to pair this device" on the remote screen, but I can't seem to pair a second bluetooth keyboard that represents the Kodi profile. (I just added as Microsoft --> Kodi, not as a PC).

I'm confused because if I select the "Kodi" device from the Harmony phone app, all Kodi functions work within Kodi (codec info, subtitles, watched/unwatched) so the Hub is sending the correct commands and Kodi is reading it. Since the Hub is working, and the app is sending the signal through the Hub to Kodi, I don't get why the remote doesn't work, or how to get it to work. The manually mapped buttons should be forwarding the same commands that are working on the app, it's the same profile. This is probably something simple but I've been messing around for hours and I give for tonight. Thanks if anyone has dealt with this before.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Powerhouse - 2017-08-08

I'm confused, as there is no Kodi device in Harmony in the steps I posted.

The Harmony Software should only have the Shield TV (listed as Nvidia Game Console), and the Bluetooth Keyboard.

The next step would be to install the Keymap Editior within Kodi (Settings, Add-On's, Program Add-On's), so you can assign specific keys on the remote to perform Kodi actions (Info button on the remote, which brings up the info screen in Kodi, etc).

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - essential - 2017-08-09

Thanks for the reply Powerhouse.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-in/harmony-experience-with-kodi

Harmory has a full Kodi profile. I added that to my Shield activity and manually mapped some of the buttons to the remote and it doesn't work. I assumed since there was a Harmony Kodi profile, I wouldn't need the Keymap Editor. If you're in Kodi and select the "Kodi" device from the Harmony app, it works, it fully controls Kodi through the Hub. It's just for whatever reason it doesn't translate to the remote. I assume the Kodi device would use the BT Harmony keyboard that you pair, but apparently not.

I guess no one is successfully using both profiles (shield and kodi) without the Keymap editor. I'm going to keep tinkering, maybe it's not possible, it's just confusing as to why it works with the app through the Hub but not the actual remote.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Jeffers24 - 2017-08-09

(2017-07-25, 09:39)BluHD Wrote:
(2017-07-17, 04:23)Cozmo85 Wrote: Lately when i start a lot of movies i have to go to audio settings and turn off passthrough and then turn it back on. Anyone else had this happen?

If you have 'Adjust Display Refresh rate' enabled remember to set a delay of aroumd 5-6 secods so that both video and audio sync better

Found Adjust Display Refresh Rate System>Player>video.

Where is the option to set the delay?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-08-09

(2017-08-09, 08:34)Jeffers24 Wrote: Found Adjust Display Refresh Rate System>Player>video.

Read the first post in this thread, all the information is there.

Also, "5-6 seconds" is an arbitrary number. It could be as little as 2 seconds and as much as 6+ seconds, the amount of delay needed will be different for different systems.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Jeffers24 - 2017-08-09

(2017-08-09, 11:37)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-08-09, 08:34)Jeffers24 Wrote: Found Adjust Display Refresh Rate System>Player>video.

Read the first post in this thread, all the information is there.

Also, "5-6 seconds" is an arbitrary number. It could be as little as 2 seconds and as much as 6+ seconds, the amount of delay needed will be different for different systems.

Thanks, found it Wink

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - onesolo - 2017-08-10

Electrical adapter recall!!!

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/adapterrecall/

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - essential - 2017-08-11

I was finally able to get my Harmony Elite to work the Shield and Kodi over Bluetooth. I'm not using a keymap editor or anything else, just the Harmony and the Shield. This should work with any Hub based Harmony.

Add Devices:
Manufacturer: Nvidia
Model: Shield TV

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: Kodi

Create your Shield activity and set it up with your TV, Sound Bar, etc with the Shield and Kodi devices.

Once the activity is created, go to your "buttons" screen in the MyHarmony software (I did this all on the software, not the app) and edit the buttons for your "Shield" activity. For example, I used the Kodi device and assigned "CodecInfo" to the red button, "NextSubtitle" to the green button, and "Watched/Unwatched" to the blue, and "Stop" to the stop button. I left up/down/left/right and OK assigned to the Shield device.

Now sync your changes to your remote.

Don’t pair your Hub yet, keep reading.

Originally, I hit a button on my remote that was assigned to the Shield device on the remote. When doing this screen will say "You have to use the Harmony App to pair this device". If you are using a Harmony without a screen I assume just nothing will work. I opened the Harmony app on my phone and put the Hub into pairing mode which allowed me to add it to the Shield. After I did this the Shield commands worked but the Kodi commands did not. I didn't understand what was going on because the Kodi "device" worked from the phone app, but the remote didn't work at all, in the activity or the individual device.

To fix this I unpaired the "Harmony Keyboard" from the Shield. Then instead of hitting a button assigned to the Shield device, I hit a button assigned to the Kodi device. The screen again said, "You have to use the Harmony App to pair this device". I opened the phone app again and the Hub went into pairing mode, and I repaired it with the Shield. After pairing it again, the Kodi commands worked and the Shield commands worked, all over bluetooth without having to do anything else.

So the trick is pushing a button assigned to the Kodi device to initiate the pairing.

The only limitations doing it this way is you are limited to the commands built into the Harmony Kodi profile. For example, I lost the "PageUp" and "PageDown" commands that I would use with my Flirc because Logitech doesn’t have them in their Kodi profile. Otherwise everything else is the same.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Hardax - 2017-08-13

(2017-08-11, 17:16)essential Wrote: I was finally able to get my Harmony Elite to work the Shield and Kodi over Bluetooth. I'm not using a keymap editor or anything else, just the Harmony and the Shield. This should work with any Hub based Harmony.

Add Devices:
Manufacturer: Nvidia
Model: Shield TV

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: Kodi

Create your Shield activity and set it up with your TV, Sound Bar, etc with the Shield and Kodi devices.

Once the activity is created, go to your "buttons" screen in the MyHarmony software (I did this all on the software, not the app) and edit the buttons for your "Shield" activity. For example, I used the Kodi device and assigned "CodecInfo" to the red button, "NextSubtitle" to the green button, and "Watched/Unwatched" to the blue, and "Stop" to the stop button. I left up/down/left/right and OK assigned to the Shield device.

Now sync your changes to your remote.

Don’t pair your Hub yet, keep reading.

Originally, I hit a button on my remote that was assigned to the Shield device on the remote. When doing this screen will say "You have to use the Harmony App to pair this device". If you are using a Harmony without a screen I assume just nothing will work. I opened the Harmony app on my phone and put the Hub into pairing mode which allowed me to add it to the Shield. After I did this the Shield commands worked but the Kodi commands did not. I didn't understand what was going on because the Kodi "device" worked from the phone app, but the remote didn't work at all, in the activity or the individual device.

To fix this I unpaired the "Harmony Keyboard" from the Shield. Then instead of hitting a button assigned to the Shield device, I hit a button assigned to the Kodi device. The screen again said, "You have to use the Harmony App to pair this device". I opened the phone app again and the Hub went into pairing mode, and I repaired it with the Shield. After pairing it again, the Kodi commands worked and the Shield commands worked, all over bluetooth without having to do anything else.

So the trick is pushing a button assigned to the Kodi device to initiate the pairing.

The only limitations doing it this way is you are limited to the commands built into the Harmony Kodi profile. For example, I lost the "PageUp" and "PageDown" commands that I would use with my Flirc because Logitech doesn’t have them in their Kodi profile. Otherwise everything else is the same.
Confirmed that this fixes the problem! Thank you SO much @essential!!

I couldn’t get the Harmony app to restart a pairing procedure unless I switched the app to device mode and selected the Microsoft device and the hit a button (I hit the down arrow) at that point it asked if I wanted to pair the device.

What the heck did Logitech do yesterday? Yesterday morning all was good. Last night I go to use my remote to watch a movie and everything Bluetooth related is grayed out on my Harmony Elite screen or not working on any mapped button relating to Bluetooth. Adding insult to injury, they want $10 a case for phone support to fix a problem they created! Not happy having to spend my entire weekend setting things up again.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - nicnic999 - 2017-08-25

I have Nvidaia Shield 2017.
Kodi can't find my external Seagate 1TB hdd.
I can access it from EX file explorer and play all contents.
Default it's formated in exFAT but I have also tried NTFS and FAT32 (to be also to format in FAT32 I had to use an external programe)

My external 500GB HDD in FAT32 is recognized without problem!

Any idea?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Koying - 2017-08-25

(2017-08-25, 09:08)nicnic999 Wrote: I can access it from EX file explorer and play all contents.

Check if you can access it from, eg VLC.
Could be EX is mounting it on its own?

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-08-25

(2017-08-25, 09:08)nicnic999 Wrote: I have Nvidaia Shield 2017.
Default it's formated in exFAT but I have also tried NTFS and FAT32 (to be also to format in FAT32 I had to use an external programe)

Any idea?

Get rid of EX File Explorer, it will cause your external drive to unmount, not to mention it's just bloatware. EX may be able to see the drive but every other app will not.

If you need a file explorer use X-PLORE.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Jeffers24 - 2017-08-25

(2017-08-25, 14:33)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 09:08)nicnic999 Wrote: I have Nvidaia Shield 2017.

Any idea?

Get rid of EX File Explorer, it will cause your external drive to unmount, not to mention it's just bloatware. EX may be able to see the drive but every other app will not.

If you need a file explorer use X-PLORE.

Which launcher would you recommend for android box?