Kodi Community Forum
Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=304226)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - docwra - 2017-09-26

(2017-09-26, 22:25)Tinwarble Wrote: Just press the Home button and then long press the back button.

Perfect! much easier thanks.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-09-28

Shield Experience Upgrade 6.0 is out today.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - PatK - 2017-09-28

Google Assistant comes to the Nvidia Shield TV

The Verge https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/28/16370012/google-assistant-nvidia-shield-tv-update

Tech Crunch https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/28/google-assistant-turns-nvidia-shield-tv-into-a-hands-free-smart-device/?ncid=mobilenavtrend

Engadget https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/28/nvidias-shield-tv-is-the-latest-home-for-google-assistant/

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - dogzipp - 2017-09-28

Quote:The dongle, which will sell for $39.99, but is available for $14.99 as part of a launch promotion

Since I've seen the Smarthings HUB for as little as $50, this makes it worthwhile (still is a horrible and big USB stick protruding from the unit)

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - m.r.f. - 2017-10-07

hello, I do not know if it is the most suitable place for my question, because it is referring to kodi, but as the box I have is now nvidia.

I have the following connection: nvidia -> receiver AV (yamaha RX-V477) -> TV (panasonic 50ST60) and I have pasthrough enabled in kodi 17.4, everything works great on the receiver (DTS-MA, TrueHD), but with the receiver off, I have no sound on the TV (yes, the receiver allows the sound to be switched off).
I have the med8er and it in the sound settings, you can choose "auto" in hdmi out and everything works fine (receiver on or receiver off), but in kodi there is no "auto".
It happens with all sound (DTS-MA, DTS, TrueHD, Dolby Digital 2.0), I also tried to read a mkv directly on the TV by pen usb and all the sound (HD inclive) gives perfectly.

I do not know what the problem is.

Sorry, for my English

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - PatK - 2017-10-07

@m.r.f. I've got a similar set-up, but with an Onkyo receiver with passthrough. Playing music inside or outside Kodi, I shut down the display and there is a brief (3-second blackout) and the music starts up again, so I assume this is more the action of your receiver and the way it passes the signal than one of software.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Jun 9, 2017 - m.r.f. - 2017-10-07

I do not think so.
I unplug nvidia and I plug the med8er in the same hdmi cable, and it works with med8er.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - awp0 - 2017-10-10

Fair warning to Shield TV owners: If you watch a lot of MPEG2 content (like Live TV in the US), beware that the latest Shield Experience 6.0 update has a regression that can make certain MPEG2 formats glitchy/unwatchable. For me it makes certain TV channels stutter terribly. People are also complaining about broken CEC functionality. Shield TV updates apparently aren't very easy to uninstall (requires a special cable for the newer Shield TV model).

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-10-10

(2017-10-10, 02:30)awp0 Wrote: Fair warning to Shield TV owners: If you watch a lot of MPEG2 content (like Live TV in the US), beware that the latest Shield Experience 6.0 update has a regression that can make certain MPEG2 formats glitchy/unwatchable. For me it makes certain TV channels stutter terribly. People are also complaining about broken CEC functionality. Shield TV updates apparently aren't very easy to uninstall (requires a special cable for the newer Shield TV model).

Which seems only to be certain peoples use case.  I've been watching Live MPEG2 streams (watching right now) via Live Channels since the update and have not noticed any issues.

And if you are using Kodi for Live TV, there is already a note on the second post (been there a while) about Kodi and hardware deinterlacing, if that is what you are experiencing.

Quote:NOTE: Currently, hardware deinterlacing is broken for Kodi and it is not recommended.  For OTA/Live TV use the Live Channels app which will provide property deinterlacing or for HDHR tuners the HDHomeRun app.
It should be fixed in Kodi v18, try it if you are having problems.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - awp0 - 2017-10-10

Yes it's definitely limited only to certain people's use cases (certain channels, certain shows, maybe certain providers, etc), but it's also new in Shield Experience 6.0.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - guyfromcanada - 2017-10-12

Not sure if this is the best place for this question but I'm using Kodi 18 to have voice integration and more specifically voice input. According to the YouTube video on the Team Kodi channel I should be able to go into Kodi and click the search button. Then while the keyboard is up my understanding is that I should be able to press the voice button and speak what I want to search however this doesn't work. It just does a normal Google Assistant request.

Did this break with the Google Assistant upgrade? If so is there any way to do voice input anymore?

Thanks!

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - PatK - 2017-10-12

Quote:Did this break with the Google Assistant upgrade?
It appears to have broken with my set-up as well, patience is required. Do note that the voice command run Kodi works!

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-10-12

(2017-10-12, 16:07)guyfromcanada Wrote: Did this break with the Google Assistant upgrade? If so is there any way to do voice input anymore?

Thanks!

As noted in the 2nd post:

Quote:Google Assistant is now available with the Nvidia 6.0 update, though only currently supported in the U.S. (a Google limitation).  You can, however, use GA by going to Settings > Language and changing it to English (United States), if you are located in a different country.   GA on Android TV is still a WIP and though somethings work, other things work only to a certain degree or not at all.  For instance, you can say "Ok Google, find Movie X" and you will see apps which that movie is in including Kodi, however, if you say "Ok Google, find Movie X in Kodi" it will respond with "Kodi can't be searched".   As well, it seems to be hit or miss with some movies, so even if you have a movie in your library it may not find it.  And in some cases you need to very specific, "find Ghostbusters" for instance will only return results (and not even the correct results) for Youtube and Google Play, however, "find Ghostbusters 1984" will give you results for Kodi, SPMC, Plex and MrMC.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - guyfromcanada - 2017-10-12

(2017-10-12, 22:33)Tinwarble Wrote: As noted in the 2nd post:

Quote:Google Assistant is now available with the Nvidia 6.0 update, though only currently supported in the U.S. (a Google limitation).  You can, however, use GA by going to Settings > Language and changing it to English (United States), if you are located in a different country.   GA on Android TV is still a WIP and though somethings work, other things work only to a certain degree or not at all.  For instance, you can say "Ok Google, find Movie X" and you will see apps which that movie is in including Kodi, however, if you say "Ok Google, find Movie X in Kodi" it will respond with "Kodi can't be searched".   As well, it seems to be hit or miss with some movies, so even if you have a movie in your library it may not find it.  And in some cases you need to very specific, "find Ghostbusters" for instance will only return results (and not even the correct results) for Youtube and Google Play, however, "find Ghostbusters 1984" will give you results for Kodi, SPMC, Plex and MrMC.

I did read that but that from my understanding is from searching from the home screen. In the video there was two parts to the integration, searching from the home screen and voice input within the Kodi app. It's the voice input part that I am more interested in but I don't think that this is possible anymore.

RE: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: Oct. 06, 2017 - Tinwarble - 2017-10-13

(2017-10-12, 23:41)guyfromcanada Wrote: I did read that but that from my understanding is from searching from the home screen. In the video there was two parts to the integration, searching from the home screen and voice input within the Kodi app. It's the voice input part that I am more interested in but I don't think that this is possible anymore.

Nope, it happens even if you are in the app.

There is a way around the limitation though.  If your in Kodi and you say "find Wonder Woman", you will get a pop up like this.

Then you can say "play the first one" and it will play using Kodi.  Same goes for if you are in the Home screen, just say "play the[which even number app Kodi appears as] one".  So if Kodi is the 3rd app in the list you would say "play the third one".

Like I said, Assistant is still a WIP and a lot of what you try to do with it will just end up defaulting to Youtube.