Kodi Community Forum
Win Small live stream cache problem - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Win Small live stream cache problem (/showthread.php?tid=306320)

Pages: 1 2

Small live stream cache problem - Scott00007 - 2017-02-08

Hello,

With version 17 has the problem with live streams having a tiny cache and having to buffer over and over making them unwatchable be addressed?

Is there a reason why the same cache/buffer used for other local/streamed files cannot be used allowing the user to decide how big the cache is through advanced settings?

Thanks

RE: Small live stream cache problem - PatK - 2017-02-08

There has been some changes in the way to implement cache in Krypton HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)

RE: Small live stream cache problem - Scott00007 - 2017-02-08

Thanks for the information.

For this (from the Wiki):

<readfactor>4.0</readfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readbufferfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering. Default value 4.0. -->

Is a higher number going to help bad connections more or a lower number? What is the ceiling?

Thanks again.;

RE: Small live stream cache problem - PatK - 2017-02-09

With a bigger bucket (cache) you'll wait longer for the fill, but you'll be able to pull off the spigot more smoothly. Bad connections will just mean the bucket takes longer to fill, and empty's faster. I'd say time to look for a faster stream.

There was a time, when connections were so very slow that a huge cache would grab the entire file, before it played, alas those days are gone.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - Scott00007 - 2017-02-10

These are the advanced settings that I am trying to use:

<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<memorysize>439460608<memorysize>
<buffermode>1<buffermode>
<readfactor>10.0<readfactor>
<cache<
<advancedsettings>

I want local/internet files to buffer completely. I have lots of ram so that is not an issue but I am only getting normal buffering. What am I doing wrong?

RE: Small live stream cache problem - brazen1 - 2017-02-10

You don't have any closing tags in the code?

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <cache>
    <memorysize>439460608</memorysize>
    <readfactor>1</readfactor>
    <buffermode>10.0</buffermode>  
  </cache>  
</advancedsettings>

RE: Small live stream cache problem - PatK - 2017-02-10

You need not go overboard as Kodi will only fill the cache a little above what is needed to play it back. It does this as to not max out your network and possibly max out some hardware.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - JNRW - 2017-02-10

Further to my earlier thread elsewhere on this subject can you tell me if the order (sequence) of the three items between <cache> and < /cache> is important?

If it is, please tell me what the definitive order is.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - Scott00007 - 2017-02-11

Thanks Brazen1!! Good catch.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - Scott00007 - 2017-02-11

(2017-02-10, 05:04)PatK Wrote: You need not go overboard as Kodi will only fill the cache a little above what is needed to play it back. It does this as to not max out your network and possibly max out some hardware.

I understand. I have upgraded to v. 17 without any advanced settings and sources that only buffered...making them useless....are already working great......thanks.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - JNRW - 2017-02-16

I apologise if this is getting boring but posts #5 and #6 above have the lines of code in different order.

Before I install Krypton and start tinkering with it can someone definitively say whether the order (sequence) is important?

Thanks.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - JNRW - 2017-02-17

(2017-02-16, 22:44)JNRW Wrote: I apologise if this is getting boring but posts #5 and #6 above have the lines of code in different order.

Before I install Krypton and start tinkering with it can someone definitively say whether the order (sequence) is important?

Thanks.

Anyone?

RE: Small live stream cache problem - FXB78 - 2017-02-17

I wouldn't think it matters, but I'd just go off what it says in the wiki. Rather than waiting another week for a definitive answer why not just test it yourself?

RE: Small live stream cache problem - JNRW - 2017-02-17

(2017-02-17, 15:34)FXB78 Wrote: I wouldn't think it matters, but I'd just go off what it says in the wiki. Rather than waiting another week for a definitive answer why not just test it yourself?

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it.

My request for an answer started in another thread precisely because I looked in Wiki. My earlier Android box and now my Windows NUC both use 4.4 Example 4 but the later added Krypton advice shows the lines of code in a different order.

What I do not want to happen is that I put on Krypton, add the advanced settings incorrectly and then scratch my head as to whether any problems which might then result are because of this or something else.

I was hoping that the author of the specific Krypton advice would be able to shed some light on the matter.

RE: Small live stream cache problem - FXB78 - 2017-02-17

If you use the "CTRL+SHIFT+O" PlayerDebug screen it will show you how much has been cached, so it's fairly easy to troubleshoot especially on a Windows machine Smile