Kodi Community Forum
Win Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Win Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV (/showthread.php?tid=307694)

Pages: 1 2

Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - alexsisk - 2017-02-21

Hi folks,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on my awesome new little Intel NUC6CAYH (pimped out about as much as you can pimp out a Celeron mini-PC...8GB 1866MHz RAM, 1TB HDD). For my media, I have an external 4TB HDD, which I've shared my various media folders from. Anyway, I'm having SMB issues. I followed the Kodi SMB setup Wiki to a T after I first ran into trouble. I am now using the Windows 10 Homegroup method as Kodi prescribed :-) but I'm still having issues.

I'm trying to connect to the shares from my Nvidia Shield TV in another room. When I browse and choose SMB as a source, I see "WORKGROUP" which I know is the default, and I haven't changed that. If I attempt to go into "WORKGROUP", it just times out.

I have the NUC set to a static IP within my home network, which makes things a little easier. The house/internet devices are 100% Cat6 + Gigabit Ethernet router/switches.

The Shield TV SEES the NUC when I navigate to settings ---> Network storage outside of Kodi to mount a Network Storage device, but when mounted, it only shows one shared folder... "Users". Usually it shows a list of all top-level shared folders.

I've literally spent 5 hours between today (about 2 hrs) and yesterday (about 3 hrs) troubleshooting and I'm at my wits end. Please let me know if you can help and if you need logs, screenshots, anything...and thank you so much in advance!

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - alexsisk - 2017-02-21

Perhaps to dispel the notion that this is a "Microsoft Windows Help Forum" question, I will compact and rephrase my question:

KODI for Android is not seeing SMB shares from Windows 10 Pro that my Mac has no problem with. Why might that be?

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - PatK - 2017-02-21

I imagine the wiki you're referencing is http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows (wiki)? Just a quick question have you considered connecting the PC and Shield with a USB3 cable?

(2017-02-21, 08:15)PatK Wrote: I imagine the wiki you're referencing is http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows (wiki)? Just a quick question have you considered connecting the POC and Shield with a USB3 cable?

That's correct - that is the wiki I was referencing - sorry next time I'll include the link.

You mean connect the NUC PC directly to my Shield to test? USB Type-A to Type-A? Or am I not understanding what POC stands for?

If you were asking whether I'd used my Shield with the HDD directly connected, and shared from the Shield, yes I have. I COULD move the HDD to the Shield, but it's in the Living Room, and wouldn't quite fit in with my roommate's decor. LOL.

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - PatK - 2017-02-21

Well I connected my PC to the shield with a USB 3.0 cable directly. all the drives on the PC became available to the shield, from the shield and access to the extended memory was a breeze from the PC (but I'm only feet away from both units). Quoting here.. " If I attempt to go into "WORKGROUP", it just times out." that should NOT happen. So let's ensure all the boxes are ticked for ethernet.

In the Shield settings/network you have scanning always available ticked.
it says you're connected.. IP 192.168.0.110 or some such.
Enabled IPv6

In the Shield settings>storage
Over Local Network and one mounted 'check network' note IP
if not mounted hit the network and manually add network storage. (disconnect is here too)
USB if needed (plugin and plug out might be needed to recognize).

Going into Kodi, adding new videos should bring up SMB, if that's not working
you'll have to add a network location, browsing workgroup should bring your PC

Add network location > Protocol = Windows SMB > Server Name = IP address of the server PLUS then put :445 on the end (this is the SMB TCP Port Number) > OK
eg > 192.168.0.195:445 Usernames and password will be required clicking this new listing should see all your shares including external potable drives.

There will be a new file created in the Shield userdata folder 'password.xml' which contains the path and password to your share.
---
Windows 7 PC side of things

Your computer is going to need a name and password (yes I know I hate passwords in my own home too)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14087/windows-7-change-your-windows-password

If you type credential into the start menu and click 'Credential Manager' you should be able to see ALL stored password details including shared network access passwords. From there you can either 'Remove' or 'Edit' the credential to fit the new criteria, in this case your password.

Ensure folders|drives you want shared, check properties advanced sharing.

Opening network at this point, and you should see the Shield, PC and anything else. Clicking on your PC should bring up all the shared devices.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
Turn on network discovery, Public folder sharing, and homegroups if you have one andything that looks reasonable.

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - alexsisk - 2017-02-23

Hint: You solved my problem midway typing out this post.... you can skip to Item 5 if you want. Big Grin
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for the response, Pat. I will try to keep my response brief, but I want to give you or anyone else willing to assist as much info as I can, and I appreciate your efforts.

1) I've ordered a USB 3.0 Type A to A cable to have on hand and perhaps see if it sparks the two devices to pay attention to each other somehow. I'm not convinced, but we'll see.

2) I agree - in my past experience, if multiple nodes on the same network have the same workgroup title - usually the default in a home network like mine, as long as folders are shared, there tends not to be an issue.

3) The way you describe the Shield network settings is already 100% identical to how I have them set, so we're all set here, I believe:

4) I always keep the "Over Local Network" setting turned on, which is of course just a way to access the Shield itself from a PC. I just mapped a network drive to the Shield with no issue - as part of my troubleshooting, I did a factory reset on the Shield a couple of days ago also.

5) Ummm, well crap it finally worked! - I was typing this post as I went through your steps...you are a god among men.
I forced Windows 10 to stop relying on my Microsoft Account as a login yesterday - they push that really hard and it's aggravating. <---could that be itHuh? Maybe this should be noted on the Wiki? (or I missed it) Or could having "Over Local Network" on have influenced it, even though that is only for connections going the opposite direction? Probably the Microsoft account issue.

All I had before was the "Users" folder...now:

Nevermind - TOTAL FAIL. It timed out quickly and won't let me reconnect.

Now 2 hours deep into spontaneous SMB failure after it worked for 20 minutes.

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - PatK - 2017-02-23

I think many questions will be answered when you get USB 3.0 Type A to A cable, it will put the Shield as an external drive, access to Kodi and more, grab the password.xml and manually duplicate the drive paths/passwords for whatever shares you want up in source sources.xml. I have noticed the network communication and USB connection seem to be at odds and one or the other goes down frequently until next reboot. I use the Ethernet cable to access shares and the USB for maintenance on the shield, seems to work out.

Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - alexsisk - 2017-02-23

Hopefully I can gain some insight at least.

My Shield is connecting fine now, and my Mac isn't: This has now become a network issue and is outside of the scope of Kodi troubleshooting - so thank you for your assistance. I'll let you know if there are any developments - perhaps I can share some information that's new to you.

Alex

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - PatK - 2017-02-24

We appreciate and tips/tricks around here, just don't get enough. http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - vallyfisherman - 2018-03-28

try choosing add network location instead of choosing windows network SMB, then put your IP address into the server name, click ok and use that connection to bring in your data files. Hope that helps

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - levi.baker88 - 2018-04-03

(2017-02-23, 07:20)alexsisk Wrote: 5) Ummm, well crap it finally worked! - I was typing this post as I went through your steps...you are a god among men.
I forced Windows 10 to stop relying on my Microsoft Account as a login yesterday - they push that really hard and it's aggravating. <---could that be itHuh? Maybe this should be noted on the Wiki? (or I missed it) Or could having "Over Local Network" on have influenced it, even though that is only for connections going the opposite direction? Probably the Microsoft account issue.
 This can certainly be an issue. I don't know the full details etc but the Microsoft Account allows you to log onto your computer locally (much like a Windows User or Admin account) but it seems like it has less privileges or something, PatK is pretty cluey on Miscrosoft stuff so he might know more. However when using Kodi and you get the prompt to enter username/password for setting up SMB, the Microsoft Account details will fail every time and you need to enter (excuse my terminology) the root level details i.e. the Windows User logon details.

Something else to look at is if you have an Anti-Virus / Security Firewall, as your Windows PC might be blocking the IP address of your Shield.

Doing what PatK mentioned above usually works, it'll look something like: smb://192.168.X.X when browsing for new shares in Kodi (after adding the network location obviously)

RE: Win10 SMB Issues - Shares are for Nvidia Shield TV - mwkurt - 2018-04-04

I have my IPv6 turned "off" and connect to my Windows 7 machine just fine. What is the purpose of keeping this on?