Kodi Community Forum
v17 AudioDSP Disabled - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Audio DSP (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=235)
+---- Thread: v17 AudioDSP Disabled (/showthread.php?tid=307875)

Pages: 1 2

AudioDSP Disabled - AchimTuran - 2017-02-22

Hi community,

at first I have to say sorry. I did a mistake and merged AudioDSP to early into the official Kodi repository. Most of the platforms simply crash in an inexplicable behavior. This could make you sad or explode your ears Undecided, which is quite bad if you wanna enjoy your media content.
Because of that we officially don't ship AudioDSP binary add-ons for the V17 Krypton final release version.
Another reason was that I didn't had enough spare time to fix all platforms and test them enough.
At some point I was very far in development of my new test add-on. It has a nice code base, which allows me to implement new processing modes in much less time than what I had before. If I have the fully functional algorithm it's just 3-4 hours of work for a ready prototype. Furthermore this code base can be used for new add-ons in a seamless way.
But then I noticed very painfully that AudioDSP isn't ready for such a nice add-on code base. I tried to work around the limitations of the software architecture of AudioDSP and did some fixes. But it wasn't very successful.
I was very frustrated, because I wanted to implement features like custom modes (you could define a fixed filter in the UI) or make it possible to use modes multiple times.
Long story short answer, I stopped the development and went back to my desk to find new ideas. In the end I started to rewrite some parts of AudioDSP, but currently don't have anything that the community could use.
Another issue is the usability, most of the people I tried to explain or show AudioDSP, wasn't able to use it.Tongue

I can't say when AudioDSP will be officially available agian, but I'm sure you will notify it here in the subforum.
So please do have a little patience until I did my rework of AudioDSP. Hopefully with success so that we will have new features and a better code base to maintain.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - leonpierresusan - 2017-02-23

This is a sad day indeed. Thank you Wisler for all the work you put in to this project. We truly appreciate it.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - edgar2002 - 2017-02-24

Hi wisler,

Thanks a lot for your work on this project.

I have installed kodi 17 on a samsung galaxy tab pro 12.2 and it's working really good.

I'm using yatse to stream towards chromecast v1 as I have an old tv without smart.

The only thing that is missing is the ability to add DSP in the android version that causes sound is missing on tv as chromecast v1 cannot decode ac3.

So do you know if DSP will be available for android version (arm v7) in same time that for Ubuntu and windows ?

Many thanks
edgar

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - AchimTuran - 2017-02-24

(2017-02-24, 17:28)edgar2002 Wrote: Hi wisler,

Thanks a lot for your work on this project.

I have installed kodi 17 on a samsung galaxy tab pro 12.2 and it's working really good.

I'm using yatse to stream towards chromecast v1 as I have an old tv without smart.

The only thing that is missing is the ability to add DSP in the android version that causes sound is missing on tv as chromecast v1 cannot decode ac3.

So do you know if DSP will be available for android version (arm v7) in same time that for Ubuntu and windows ?

Many thanks
edgar

Decoding is done via FFMPEG and not AudioDSP. This part of Kodi will do stuff like EQ, volume correction, filters ...

AudioDSP doesn't use any OS specific functions and should be cross platform. Normally it should run on all platforms, but needs testing to make sure that all functions of AudioDSP are working properly. I try my best to make it available for all platforms. But currently can't say which platform will supported at time X.
The only thing I know is that Windows will be the first, because this is the platform I use most in my living room for gaming and enjoying media content. As I also develop on Linux chances are high that this is the next platform.
The next testbuilds will be available when I have AudioDSP running on all my machines (mac mini, Windows, Linux. RPi2&3 and nvidia shield).

I don't know why most users stick to Android when they could have a much better OS for Kodi. Currently Android is the platform, which lacks a developer and is not really maintained. It's only my personal opinion. Others might see it different.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - edgar2002 - 2017-02-25

Thanks for your feedback wisler.
I'm new and recently registered on this forum and newbie with xbmc also. So I highly appreciate your support.
Maybe I was not very clear in my previous post. In fact I have sound when I'm playing file using kodi on my android device. My concern is to find a way for having kodi able to re-encode audio on the fly in order to stream towards a chromecast v1 that cannot decode ac3 track, and for that I'm using yutse that have the ability to cast.
I seem to remember reading in another post about kodi configuration that DSP should be used in this case.
Please tell me if I make mistake and what I have to do in order to have sound on the tv when using chromecast to stream a mkv file that has been encoded with original ac3 audio track.
I heard that the main developper for android has make choice to leave this project.
The reason why I have looked to kodi is that it seems the best media center for android platform. And I agree with you that there is probably better platform for xbmc but it's much more convenient for me to travel with a tablet and chromecast key instead of pc. I'm moving a lot with my daughter and as I have this powerful tablet I'm trying to find the better solution to use it as a media center.
Hope you will be able to help me to achieve what I'm trying to do.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - AchimTuran - 2017-02-25

Sorry when I was not clear enough. But AudioDSP can not reencode. It's for signal processing. What you might search for is transcoding. But this can't be done with AudioDSP.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - edgar2002 - 2017-02-27

Hi wisler,
thanks once again for your explanation.
I will continue looking for transcode in kodi.
Regards
Olivier

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - docwra - 2017-02-27

Thanks for the update wisler, take your time and get the system right Smile

One step at a time, as a wise programmer always says

I'm still looking forward to being able to boost the center channel in software.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - AchimTuran - 2017-02-27

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. Blush

Right I'm also looking forward to a functionality to set individual gain factors for all available channels. I already have a prototype implementation but it is currently not ready for the public as it needs further effort to make the usability and stability better.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - HeresJohnny - 2017-02-27

You obviously wrote your original message to have cathartic effect. So, let me assure you that your work is greatly appreciated and setbacks are just life telling us that we haven't reached our full potential yet. Don't feel pressure or any obligation towards others for something free and who knows, maybe on your next walk when you think of something completely different you'll have a great idea and feel motivated again. Until then, have lots of your favourite beverage and maybe read a nice non-work-related book.

This should hold true for all devs who are heroes, daily fighting specs and stupidity...

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - meucha - 2017-03-18

Thanks for your dedication Wisler, looking forward to beta-test any new AudioDSP implementation.

Cheers,
meucha

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - AchimTuran - 2017-03-20

(2017-02-27, 14:51)HeresJohnny Wrote: You obviously wrote your original message to have cathartic effect. So, let me assure you that your work is greatly appreciated and setbacks are just life telling us that we haven't reached our full potential yet. Don't feel pressure or any obligation towards others for something free and who knows, maybe on your next walk when you think of something completely different you'll have a great idea and feel motivated again. Until then, have lots of your favourite beverage and maybe read a nice non-work-related book.

This should hold true for all devs who are heroes, daily fighting specs and stupidity...

Hahah you read between the lines, but you're right. I was kind of disapointed while I wrote the post. Blush

I did you what you said, sit a little bit back and used Kodi as a normal user. It is great because now I have a running PVR backend with 3 cable channels. Furthermore I spent some effort on my movie- and music library. Very assume if you have covers, metadata, which is scraped with Ember Media Manager.
Also my machine boots now directly into steam big picture mode and I'm able to control my PC with a remote, keyboard, PS4 controller or my mobile phone (Yatse). Futhermore I can use this machine for development with my Ubuntu based installation, which drives my Windows 10 VM with GPU passthrough. Very nice for development, because with one keystroke I can switch to Windows 10 and back to Ubuntu and get both operating systems at approximitly the native performance.

So I'm now motivitated again and published wireframes for the new AudioDSP UI.

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - HeresJohnny - 2017-03-20

Geht doch! ;-)

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - Lappskij - 2017-04-10

Hi Man,

Really sorry to hear that the AudioDSP has to wait for implementation. I used it alot on Jarvis and love it. Also hope that you can have some time to look into the ReplayEQ that we discussed some time ago when you started your work on the AudioDSP. How great wouldn't it be to have perfect HI,MID and LOW on every track in your library without going to the lenght of updating your library to LossLess and still have differance in the EQ and Gain.
Luv your work man and all the best.

Cheers!

Lappskij

RE: AudioDSP Disabled - hundrakg - 2017-05-03

thanks for the work on the Audio DSP in kodi, NodNodNodSmile