Kodi Community Forum
AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build (/showthread.php?tid=308153)

Pages: 1 2 3

AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Comp1demon - 2017-02-25

With amd ryzen now available. Wondering if the Cost factor vs performance is going to catch the attention of Kodi users?
I did not see a thread yet for Ryzen, so figured I would start this one.
Anyone have Ryzen pre ordered and ready to go for a HTPC or Media Purposes, specifically KODI in mind?

Talk about your builds and your testing results here.

Very interested to see how much of an alternative this might be.

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - feathers - 2017-02-26

I think once ITX boards start rolling out with hdmi 2.x these builds will start to be more attractive.

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - wrxtasy - 2017-02-26

Am I the only one that simply does not see the point of what looks like a really Nice CPU package for Kodi media playback Only duties ?

I just posted this today in the START HERE thread...

Q. Those AMLogic S905 boxes look grossly underpowered for 4K HEVC(H265), should I be looking at Intel NUC's. ?
Only the very recent Apollo Lake and Koby Lake NUCs will match the cheap AML S905's in video playback (excluding 3D MVC). The NUCs are probably more powerful for CPU stuff, but that's not really that relevant for audio/video playback when using Kodi.

Thats pretty much copying what @noggin wrote recently as well. Wink

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - feathers - 2017-02-26

Just for Kodi a dedicated HTPC is overkill and almost irrelevant but there's a lot of non kodi uses where I think a $50 s905 box will be far worse at. Eg NAS / plex server / pc gaming / running a proper desktop OS..

Has there been any announcement regarding whether 4K Netflix will be available on Ryzen? (intel 7th gen only at this stage?)

The zen APUs that are coming out soon are meant to bring console level graphics too.

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Livin - 2017-02-26

Building your own htpc is a waste of time and money. Go buy a $200-300 Dell ultra small form factor, 4gb ram, with i3 or better cpu and 128gb ssd... With still over 2 years left on the warranty. Then you are set for a few years. I even run my blue iris software with 10x 1080p cams... Never stressing the system and runs windows, the easiest way to guarantee no driver hassles and 100% compatible with Kodi features

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Comp1demon - 2017-02-27

While I do not see anyone building a high end PC, Intel or AMD, for just Kodi. What I meant was "with Kodi in mind". When your Playback software for all media is going to be be Kodi and or Spmc and your adding new hardware to your theater or viewing room, I was curious if anyone thinks Ryzen will be a prefered Processor for a build. Keeping in mind that even the lowest end Ryzen + MOBO only will be over $500 - I am sure no one would build a HTPC box with windows or perhaps another OS like Linux (Though I did not see any Ryzen info with other OS's other than Windows) There is so much more you can do with it. Just curious if anyone plans implementing a Ryzen PC in their set up. I eventually want a Killer SMall form factor box that can do Kodi, Netflix, Amazon, Google, HD Homerun, DVR, Retro Gaming up to PS2/Gamecube, MVC 3D playback, BluRay Playback ect.... The High end Ryzen looks to be pretty awesome at 1/2 the Price of the intel Counterpart (Ryzen 7 1800X). Anyone have a build planned? Know of Compatibility with Netflix HDr and such?

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Gorbulan - 2017-02-28

Kodi runs great on my almost 10 year old 2.4 GHz Pentium something or other. I don't think a Ryzen CPU will ever be worth running Kodi on it. Waste of time and money, honestly.

(2017-02-26, 09:32)feathers Wrote: The zen APUs that are coming out soon are meant to bring console level graphics too.

What? Do you mean upgrade graphics on consoles or?

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - feathers - 2017-02-28

The integrated graphics in the upcoming APUs should perform similarly to Xbox one/PS4.

If a 10 year old Pentium can playback 4K HEVC without help from a dedicated GPU I'll eat my hat. Probably sucks 50w from the wall at idle too ?

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Gorbulan - 2017-02-28

If that's the case, then that does not speak well for those consoles, or AMD. I am not sure which.

Oh, I never said it could do 4K. I said it runs Kodi "great".

But it has a video card too, which is highly changeable, and cheap. With it's current setup it can do anything but 4K. If I want 4K, it's cheap to upgrade, and certainly less than $500.

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - feathers - 2017-02-28

What cheap (not to mention low profile?) video card decodes HEVC ? or are you talking about H264 only ?

The $500 figure quoted above is only relevant for the recently announced CPUs which have 8 cores / 16 threads and compete with intels i7 lineup isn't it ?

There will cheaper SKUs coming soon. I would think a ~200-300 build should be very possible.

EDIT: To clarify it would be fairly ridiculous to use any of the 3 already released Ryzen processors purely for Kodi - But by the end of the year this may change with the release of the lower end CPUs/ APUs

We are veering off course here so let me just summarize.

Using high-end hardware to perform a low-end job is illogical. Kodi is not high end, even when outputting 4K 120 fps ultra high quality video. Therefore, you don't need anything high end for Kodi. You need something sufficient, and what that is varies depending on what you want to do.

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - dukester - 2017-02-28

if this thread can stay on track (obviously it cant currently) ill be following along, dont listen to the haters OP, just because some guy says its overkill doesnt mean you should go a different direction. i own amlogic devices, htpc computers, nexus players, fire TVs and have been through alot of other setups. my HTPC is most solid and reliable playback device hands down.

I really hate when people feel the need to tell someone they are being illogical because their opinions differ from others.

Sounds like OP knows what he needs and doesnt need anyone telling him what he needs.

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - Comp1demon - 2017-02-28

(2017-02-28, 03:23)dukester Wrote: if this thread can stay on track (obviously it cant currently) ill be following along, dont listen to the haters OP, just because some guy says its overkill doesnt mean you should go a different direction. i own amlogic devices, htpc computers, nexus players, fire TVs and have been through alot of other setups. my HTPC is most solid and reliable playback device hands down.

I really hate when people feel the need to tell someone they are being illogical because their opinions differ from others.

Sounds like OP knows what he needs and doesn't need anyone telling him what he needs.

Not everyone needs a High end Media Center PC. Most people get away with PI, NUC or dedicated box, install KODI / SPMC and have a great day.
There are others who want a High end PC in their THeater, Viewing room, Entertainment area as an all in one box.
Some might want a box that they set up to do a bunch of functionality and do not want to switch to something else.

Case in point.. Nvidia Shield. SO far the Shield (aside from 3D MVC and the ability to connect a BR drive to it - does it all) Kodi/SPMC OTA or Cable Card Tuning, Retro Gaming,, High end gaming as well as High end gaming Streaming.

I personally want to get to a point where I can build a High end PC - along the lines, in terms of interface, of the Alienware Alpha machines.

I want a PC where Kodi is my Main stage for everything media playback. (including 3D MVC).

But I also want a BR player built in that can play back official BR disc (menu and all, as well as 3D disc) Sure I can't use KODI, but if the interface is set up right it can be easy to jump from APP to APP and With Cyberlink Announced Ultra HD Playback of BR disc hence with a high end HTPC you might not need an oppo 203 or udp900 Stand alone player.

Of course you going to need a up to date processor (kaby lake for sure, ryzen - perhaps). HDMI 2.0 port either on MOBO, NUC or Video Card. and HDCP 2.2 compliance.

Lastly for someone who might not want a NVIDIA shield to stream from their gaming PC, perhaps they want the Gaming PC in the Entertainment center so they can use their 4K TV to game on and get a more console like experience, perhaps a High end PC would be the way to go over a NUC. Your got going to get Overwatch or Titanfall 2 on a NUC. Your Going to need something with a high end video card.

I have had a hard time finding compliance on the Ryzen motherboards. Some have onboard HDMI at 1.4a, I did see one that claimed HDMI 2.0a. Many also have thunderbolt or Displayports that might be complaint with an adaptor.

Not sure if we are going to see a Ryzen NUC style mini PC. Right now most of the MOBOS for the 3 processors are more desktop like and even the smaller ones could be a mini ITX HTPC.

THe question posted is this...

If you planned on putting a HTPC or High end gaming system in your entertainment center and your going to use KODI for media viewing for 90% of your media, are you going Kaby lake, or Perhaps going Ryzen?
If you are going Ryzen, what build you have planned.
The Processors come out the same day as the Nintendo Switch, I personally have 2 switches on pre-order so I have no extra Cash ATM, but I want to build a super hi end PC to put into my living room.
I want a multi TB beast for media. I will tweak the hell out of it to make the interface easy and friendly to jump from KODI to POWERDVD, to Hyperspin, and even launching my Steam and PC installed Titles.
I personally enjoy the Xbox 360 controller or the Xbox one Controller S over anything else, But I always buy modded controllers, so they do more, or mod them myself.
I want to finally trick out my emulation station (hyperspin or perhaps something else) and load everything properly. Have a Throwback easy to use Retro Gaming PC, but all the way up to the highest end retro systems (wii,m Dreamcast, Saturn, maybe even PS3 and Xbox original if those emu's are up to par these days).
I want Kodi and SPMC front and center as well. I want something that will make it a pleasure to load up and use Kodi.
I like my Nvidia Shield. Add 3D MVC and perhaps even a way to connect a USB BR player for native BR playback (will probably never happen) and I would keep the Gaming PC in my office or bedroom, and away from the entertainment center. But I think we are getting so close to having the ability to do high end PC's integrated nicely into the 4K tv Theater, entertainment space.

SO ok, RYZEN.. Even the lowest end processor will still need a MOBO and RAM, of the 3 coming out, your entry level build will be over $500 no doubts in my mind ATM.
Anyone have one on preorder?
What are you building?
Anyone who does build one, can you put it through the paces with Kodi/Spmc and apps (netflix/Amazon) ect...

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - gwilly7 - 2017-02-28

I am hoping when the versions with integrated graphics come out later this year that they will support all the video formats and hopefully more of the boards will have hdmi 2.0

Sent from my SM-G930V

RE: AMD Ryzen Media Center Builds - Thread for New AMD Processor KODI HTPC and Build - DJ_Izumi - 2017-03-01

My own HTPC is an example of an HTPC that uses some relatively high end hardware. An i7 3770K with Radeon HD 7950. It's built out of used workstation parts, it can software decode HEVC but most importantly, it ALSO runs Steam, so it kinda doubles as a game console effectively.

That all said, most people aren't building top end HTPCs, if they are building HTPCs at all and all Ryzen SKUs to be released don't even have integrated graphics. You basically would HAVE to be building a Kodi machine for both media -and- gaming to justify the components. If gaming was not included as a goal, there's much more cost and power efficient ways to get what you want.

However, I'd be super interested to see what Ryzen based APUs will be due out eventually.