Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Blu-ray Disc support in XBMC? With menus and AACS/BD+ decryption? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Blu-ray Disc support in XBMC? With menus and AACS/BD+ decryption? (/showthread.php?tid=31630)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- jfcarroll - 2011-01-07

Doesn't just reading an encrypted DVD (nevermind blu-ray) require a license? Yet xbmc does that just fine (well, minus "Toy Story 3" anyway).

- spiff - 2011-01-07

dvd's drm is broken, was broken looong ago. the bd drm, however is not, at least not in general.

- waldo22 - 2011-01-08

spiff Wrote:dvd's drm is broken...

I thought all DRM was "broken" Smile

- spiff - 2011-01-08

hehe, sure. unentangled then Wink

- daniel123 - 2011-01-10

waldo22 Wrote:I thought all DRM was "broken" Smile

Especially when you rip them to your harddrive Nod

[LIVE] Blu-ray Disc support? - Thomas VDB - 2011-01-15

Hi,

I'm running XBMC 10.0 Live and am very happy with it.
I read that xbmc now supports blu ray, so I replaced my internal DVD-writer
with an internal blu ray (LG CH10).
It's playing DVD's and CD's but no blu ray.

Can anyone please advise? I've read that there are some tweaks needed, but couldn't find a tutorial for XBMC Live.

Or should I return the BD player?

Thx!
Thomas.

- waldo22 - 2011-01-15

Thomas VDB Wrote:Hi,

I'm running XBMC 10.0 Live and am very happy with it.
I read that xbmc now supports blu ray, so I replaced my internal DVD-writer
with an internal blu ray (LG CH10).
It's playing DVD's and CD's but no blu ray.

Can anyone please advise? I've read that there are some tweaks needed, but couldn't find a tutorial for XBMC Live.

Or should I return the BD player?

Thx!
Thomas.

Thomas,

XBMC Live suports the playing of unencrypted BluRay discs, and unencrypted folder rips as well.

The latest nightlies also support BluRay ISO rips in addition.

No XBMC builds support BluRay Menus yet, though.

This means that you can't just put a commercial BluRay in your drive and play it.

You can do that on the Windows builds, if you are running an on-the-fly decryption program like AnyDVD HD from Slysoft.

If you're using Linux or Live, though, you have to rip the BluRay to a media server first and play it over the network.

My media server runs Windows, so I'm able to run AnyDVD on my media server, share the BluRay drive, and play it over the network on any of the XBMC builds, even live and AppleTV.

Unless you're willing to run a Windows build on your XBMC machine and buy AnyDVD, I think you should return the BluRay drive.

-Wes

- Thomas VDB - 2011-01-16

Hi Wes,

thanx for the clear answer !
I really want to keep using xbmc : I have my movies and photos all stored on a FreeNAS, and like that my htpc doesn't need a hard disk (noise), as it boots from usb.

Is there any development going on for the support of blu ray on Live? I can't imagine that the developers of such a great media center solution don't care about blu ray ?
For the moment I'll use the internal bd-rom in my desktop to rip the BD discs.
But I hope to be able to use it as soon as possible in my htpc.

Thanx anyway!
Thomas.

- infabo - 2011-02-22

infabo Wrote:i thought bluray playback (without encryption) is possible now in dharma?
i use dvdfab passkey -> http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-for-blu-ray.htm
but not working...

ha, I found out that bluray is working actually!
I have to go to Video->[Bluray-Driveletter:]->BDMV and play the "index.bdmv" file.
My problem is, that I can not playback using the "PLAY DVD"-function on the main-screen (confluence-skin).
Is this a bug?

I now have added the index.bdmv to my favorites-list and it's working well Big Grin
still it would be good to have it integrated into xbmc itself for e.g. automatic playback when inserting a new disc.Wink

- sidewalksuper - 2011-02-22

Thomas VDB Wrote:Hi Wes,

thanx for the clear answer !
I really want to keep using xbmc : I have my movies and photos all stored on a FreeNAS, and like that my htpc doesn't need a hard disk (noise), as it boots from usb.

Is there any development going on for the support of blu ray on Live? I can't imagine that the developers of such a great media center solution don't care about blu ray ?
For the moment I'll use the internal bd-rom in my desktop to rip the BD discs.
But I hope to be able to use it as soon as possible in my htpc.

Thanx anyway!
Thomas.
It's not that the devs don't want to, but Bluray playback in general on Linux is very much a big technical problem (licensing and programs that are able to decrypt Blurays).

(if I'm correct Wink )
See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

- gpborges - 2011-02-22

Guys, does anyone could get DVDFab Passkey working on Wine? I could successfully install it and run it, however it can't load the disc when it's inserted... If it works fine on Wine it would be a VERY good thing for Linux user once we would have blurays being played using DVDFab Passkey + XBMC 10...

Anxious to heard about it!

- tobi11 - 2011-02-22

gpborges Wrote:Guys, does anyone could get DVDFab Passkey working on Wine? I could successfully install it and run it, however it can't load the disc when it's inserted... If it works fine on Wine it would be a VERY good thing for Linux user once we would have blurays being played using DVDFab Passkey + XBMC 10...

Anxious to heard about it!
If the problem is that the drive won't show: You can use the command "winecfg" to configure which Linux mounts appear under which drive letter in wine.

- gpborges - 2011-02-22

tobi11 Wrote:If the problem is that the drive won't show: You can use the command "winecfg" to configure which Linux mounts appear under which drive letter in wine.

Yeah, I know where we do this and I've done it for other softwares and if I remember correctly I've tried this for DVDFab Passkey. However, it were in beta stage... My BD drive is dead and I still dunno if it's the cabe (mini SATA power + SATA) or the drive. Will discover this week when I get the new cable. Well, lets keep this thread going so that ALL will be happy in the end... lol

- mcoto - 2011-02-23

infabo Wrote:it would be good to have it integrated into xbmc itself for e.g. automatic playback when inserting a new disc.Wink

I second that Nod

- gpborges - 2011-02-23

1+ :-D That would be REALLY nice...