Kodi Community Forum
Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=318937)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - Doc.AB - 2018-04-03

(2018-04-02, 23:47)stuk Wrote: Is the 1030 capable of playing 4K HDR (through Kodi and external players like MPC/MadVR)? I don't care for any additional enhancements just 4K HDR playback. 

Can it play high bitrate 4K HDR files (like up to 70 Mb/s)?
 You could have read the thread to get the answer. 4K HDR - 4k24/4k30 yes, above that no. Hight bitrate, no

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - q2klepto - 2018-04-04

Can GPUs transcode 4K/HDR HEVC to 1080p? 

I currently have an i7 2600k w/ Geforce 1080ti - wondering if i can move the i7 2600k + 1030 for 4K playback and transcoding to non-4k TVs while i upgrade to a current gen i7 + 1080i for my gaming machine

That or just build an HTPC around a cheap kaby lake

Edit: Nm - i guess the 1030 cant do 4K HDR@60fps

Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - ars92 - 2018-04-06

I believe the perfect one is the 1050 4gb then rather than 1030....not sure why are people taking the 1050ti as the next step up from 1030

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - Soli - 2018-04-06

AFAIK 1050 doesn't exist with 4GB VRAM in the desktop version. The GT1030 is supposed to do at least 8K/60fps, must be an optimization issue regarding interfacing with madVR if 4K/60fps stutters.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - noggin - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-06, 13:21)Soli Wrote: AFAIK 1050 doesn't exist with 4GB VRAM in the desktop version. The GT1030 is supposed to do at least 8K/60fps, must be an optimization issue regarding interfacing with madVR if 4K/60fps stutters.
 Isn't this because MadVR does additional processing on top of the basic video decode - and the higher the resolution and the frame rate the higher the memory and memory bandwidth requirements become to meet this processing overhead?

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - RockerC - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-04, 20:52)q2klepto Wrote: Can GPUs transcode 4K/HDR HEVC to 1080p? 
Kodi does not have any transcoding functions at all (as of yet), not on GPU or CPU, regardless.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - Soli - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-07, 02:11)noggin Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 13:21)Soli Wrote: AFAIK 1050 doesn't exist with 4GB VRAM in the desktop version. The GT1030 is supposed to do at least 8K/60fps, must be an optimization issue regarding interfacing with madVR if 4K/60fps stutters.
 Isn't this because MadVR does additional processing on top of the basic video decode - and the higher the resolution and the frame rate the higher the memory and memory bandwidth requirements become to meet this processing overhead? 
Generally there is a small overhead when using madVR, but if you're not using any additional filters, your video is HW accelerated, and you're not using a PentiumIII, then that overhead should be negligable. Since I don't have a GT1030 I don't know for sure (or tweak the settings) and I can be wrong, at least regarding 4K usage.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - sam1984 - 2018-05-15

I agree that GeForce GT 1030 is perfect graphics card for HTPC, eSports gaming / casual gaming, 4K video playback and for setting up multi monitor setup.
(embedded blatant spamming link removed-mod)

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - MrRimmer - 2018-10-01

(2018-04-07, 14:58)Soli Wrote: Generally there is a small overhead when using madVR, but if you're not using any additional filters, your video is HW accelerated, and you're not using a PentiumIII, then that overhead should be negligable. Since I don't have a GT1030 I don't know for sure (or tweak the settings) and I can be wrong, at least regarding 4K usage.

I have battled to get my setup (Win10, Kodi 17.6 DSPlayer, GT1030) to play 10 bit 4k HDR files but after much experimentation the following settings seem to work:
1. LAV - Choose NVIDIA native rather than copyback (so no black bar detection etc.)
2. MadVR - Choose convert HDR to SDR using a 3dLUT.

Also, it's useful in Kodi DSPlayer to change the filters to external rather than the internal ones, that way it is possible to alter settings from the task bar icons and update Kodi when a new version of LAV is installed.

Pixel shader takes just enough overhead to push the render tome to around 41ms, causing both frame repeats and drops. By using the 3DLUT, that is down to around 25ms. Still too slow for 60Hz but fine for 24Hz. Only downside is the fixed mapping rather than MadVRs intelligent processing.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - MrRimmer - 2018-10-02

People could be seeing differences in performance with their cards as I have just discovered that there are two types - one with DDR4 RAM and one with GDDR5. The former has about a third of the memory bandwidth of the latter, which will have a huge impact when shifting 4k frames around.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - stralex - 2018-10-09

Hello everybody, Linux user is here.

any advantage of adding GDDR5 version of this card to Haswell based Celeron system?

I also have Apple TV w/ Infuse 4 pro, but it feels like Kodi produces a "better" picture.

Cheers!

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - jjd-uk - 2018-10-09

Don't get Nvidia if you're a Linux user as VDPAU is no longer being developed by Nvidia to add new features & codecs, so although the newer Nvidia card do have the hardware for H.265 & VP9 there is no support for hardware acceleration of these codecs in VDPAU API, so if you want to get hardware acceleration of H.265 & VP9 with Nvidia then you MUST use Windows.

As a consequence of Nvidia no longer providing active development of VDPAU, then it's highly likely Nvidia support in Linux builds will be removed in the next Kodi release.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - TechNoApe - 2018-10-09

Hi all,

I've been using an AMD A6-7400k with 8gb ram as my HTPC for the last couple of years, but it's nowhere near beefy enough to playback 4k HDR .mkv files via Kodi or any other player, but having read through all the posts in this thread, and those that are linked, I find myself still pondering on what to do as an upgrade.

First thought, I'm upgrading my main PC from an AMD 10-7850k with 8Gb ram to either an i7 + dedicated GFX card or a Ryzen 3 2400G without dedicated GFX card initially.

Would upgrading my HTPC with my AMD 10-7850k and a GTX1030 be enough, with MPC-HC/BE + Lav + MadVR, for 4k HDR .mkv playback, or would I need the GTX 1050Ti, or indeed would either setup still not be up to the job?

HTPC
------
AMD A6-7400k APU
Asus A88XM-A Motherboard
8 Gb Ram
240 SSD + 1 Tb HDD

Main PC
---------
AMD A10-7850k APU
Asus A88X-Pro Motherboard
8 Gb Ram
240 SSD + 1 Tb HDD

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - Klojum - 2018-10-09

(2018-10-09, 14:41)TechNoApe Wrote: Would upgrading my HTPC with my AMD 10-7850k and a GTX1030 be enough, with MPC-HC/BE + Lav + MadVR, for 4k HDR .mkv playback, or would I need the GTX 1050Ti, or indeed would either setup still not be up to the job?
The GT1030 is quite capable of handling videos via Kodi (upto 8K), however using Windows 7 or 10 is a must-requirement for future compatibility.
If you also want to use it for Netflix, then the GTX1050 is the better choice, because for some daft reason Netflix requires at least 3GB of memory on an Nvidia graphics card.

The choice of CPU is less important here, as Kodi mainly runs on the graphics' hardware acceleration via OpenCL for the GUI, and Mpeg/h264/h265/Vp9 acceleration for videos. Kodi can also run on a 512MB Raspberry Zero, so you do the math.

RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - TechNoApe - 2018-10-09

Thanks for the quick response  Smile

Yes, I am running Windows 10 on both PC's at the moment, and will continue to do so.

With regards to Netflix, I have the Netflix app on my Panasonic TX-58EX700B 4k TV and the Panasonic 4k HDR Player DP-UB420, so I don't really need to run it on my HTPC, although I have tried out the unofficial Netflix add-on... which works very well btw. All my .mkv's are on my NAS, so I can watch them anywhere in the house, or out and about, but the 4k HDR content I will only want to watch at home.

Over the years I have ripped my entire DVD and Blu-Ray collection to .mkv, but would like to do the same with the 4k and 4k HDR titles I have (and will) purchased going forward. I know I could not bother and just use the discs in the player, but I want to upgrade the Bedroom TV to 4k during this years Black Friday deals, and don't want to buy another 4k HDR player... nor keep going downstairs to get the discs as I am disabled  Sad

Another thing to note is that both the TV and HDR player are full DLNA compliant, and even appear as renders in Kodi using the 'play to' function.

What also surprises me is what little hardware Kodi needs to run on in order to playback 1080p .mkv x264 and x265, as you said "do the math", and yet my HTPC cannot playback 4k HDR as it buffers and doesn't auto switch to HDR mode, as is the same for my main PC, which will playback 4k HDR, but again doesn't switch to HDR mode. Obviously not auto switching to HDR mode is due to the fact that neither motherboard has HDMI 2.x, only 1.4x.

I think my best bet is to 'suck it and see' and purchase a GTX 1030 fanless, install it in the HTPC and see what happens, and then try it my main PC.

I'll let everyone know how I get on by reporting back here with the results, as it may help others   Smile