Kodi Community Forum
External hard disk in Windows same letter - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=113)
+--- Thread: External hard disk in Windows same letter (/showthread.php?tid=321453)

External hard disk in Windows same letter - judocama - 2017-09-13

Hello,

When I choose an external hard drive, it always gives me the same drive letter so it's difficult to know the location of each movie. Nor would I like to assign another letter because I have more hard drives than letters so I will always have that problem.
What is the best way to add external hard drives to windows?

Thanks in advance.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - Karellen - 2017-09-13

If you dont want to allocate drive letters, and you have more hard drives than letters, then there is nothing that windows can do to resolve it.

You need to rethink and reorganise your hard disks and data. Maybe invest in a NAS or consolidate your drives into larger capacity ones.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - judocama - 2017-09-13

(2017-09-13, 11:53)Karellen Wrote: If you dont want to allocate drive letters, and you have more hard drives than letters, then there is nothing that windows can do to resolve it.

You need to rethink and reorganise your hard disks and data. Maybe invest in a NAS or consolidate your drives into larger capacity ones.
I have several hard disks and I want manage in external drives because for me is better manteinance.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - Karellen - 2017-09-13

That still does not change my answer.

As this has nothing to do with Kodi, I will move you to Off-Topic.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - brazen1 - 2017-09-13

Dynamically join hard drives. Combine 2 hard drives (or more) to become 1 drive. This will free up 1 or more drive letters. There are 26 letters in the alphabet. I'm using 27 hard drives + 1 virtual rom drive which normally would require 28 letters. 3 smaller hard drives are dynamically joined and appear as 1 and only require 1 drive letter. Files spread across all 3 drives so if 1 fails, all will be lost, a chance I'm willing to take. You can google how to. It's very easy.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - judocama - 2017-09-13

(2017-09-13, 16:51)brazen1 Wrote: Dynamically join hard drives. Combine 2 hard drives (or more) to become 1 drive. This will free up 1 or more drive letters. There are 26 letters in the alphabet. I'm using 27 hard drives + 1 virtual rom drive which normally would require 28 letters. 3 smaller hard drives are dynamically joined and appear as 1 and only require 1 drive letter. Files spread across all 3 drives so if 1 fails, all will be lost, a chance I'm willing to take. You can google how to. It's very easy.

I have many more hard drives than letters because my collection is in bluray.
on Mac I do not have that problem because it assigns each hard drive its label but in windows
it does not and that is the problem.
I think the only solution is to put the movies inside a single folder on the hard disk with the name of the disk.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - PH-SYM - 2017-09-13

There might be another, rather elegant, solution in Windows: mount the external drives to a folder instead of a drive letter.
Using DiskManager in Windows you can rightclick on the volume and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths" and then "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder".
To organise things, I created a folder called "C:\External_disks" and created an empty subfolder for every removable drive. Then each drive can be added in its own subfolder.
Code:
C:\
-->Removable Drives\
-------------------->Movies\
--------------------------->Moviedisk-1\
--------------------------->......
--------------------------->Moviedisk-7\
Thus you would only need to create a single source in Kodi, to "C:\Removable Drives\Movies" and scrape all movies in there.

RE: External hard disk in Windows same letter - judocama - 2017-09-14

Thanks a lot, is a good idea.