Kodi Community Forum
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (/showthread.php?tid=325077)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - wesk05 - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-07, 02:03)noggin Wrote: Is this at 2160p? Didn't think 4:2:2 10-bit was valid for that - thought 4:2:2 was 8-bit or 12-bit only at 2160p. Thought 10-bit was 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 only (the former at >30p and the latter at <=30p) 
YCbCr 4:2:2 is transmitted in 12-bit mode. If the source has fewer than 12-bits, zero padding is used for bits below the LSb.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - hdmkv - 2018-04-07

What he said Smile, as Epson PJ seems to render all HDR at 12bit. Never see 10bit w/it.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - noggin - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-07, 02:22)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-04-07, 02:03)noggin Wrote: Is this at 2160p? Didn't think 4:2:2 10-bit was valid for that - thought 4:2:2 was 8-bit or 12-bit only at 2160p. Thought 10-bit was 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 only (the former at >30p and the latter at <=30p) 
YCbCr 4:2:2 is transmitted in 12-bit mode. If the source has fewer than 12-bits, zero padding is used for bits below the LSb. 

Thanks - that makes sense with the standards as they are defined.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - noggin - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-07, 04:05)hdmkv Wrote: What he said Smile, as Epson PJ seems to render all HDR at 12bit. Never see 10bit w/it.

Are you sure it renders at 12 bit, or just accepts a 12 bit source and displays it? I didn't think there were many displays (of any technology) in the consumer/prosumer sphere that actually rendered 12 bit stuff at full depth.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - hdmkv - 2018-04-07

Epson's specs say:
Quote:Color Processing:
Full 10-bit (partial 12-bit)

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - wesk05 - 2018-04-07

(2018-04-07, 15:04)noggin Wrote: Are you sure it renders at 12 bit, or just accepts a 12 bit source and displays it? I didn't think there were many displays (of any technology) in the consumer/prosumer sphere that actually rendered 12 bit stuff at full depth. 
The JVC D-ILA projectors are the only consumer devices that I know are full 12-bit IN/OUT.

(2018-04-07, 17:35)hdmkv Wrote: Epson's specs say:

That's the processing - not the display - bit depth though isn't it?  I

(2018-04-07, 18:49)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-04-07, 15:04)noggin Wrote: Are you sure it renders at 12 bit, or just accepts a 12 bit source and displays it? I didn't think there were many displays (of any technology) in the consumer/prosumer sphere that actually rendered 12 bit stuff at full depth. 
The JVC D-ILA projectors are the only consumer devices that I know are full 12-bit IN/OUT.   

Are you saying they deliver a full 12 bit display? (i.e. you can see detail in the LSBs at both ends of the dynamic range?)

(2018-04-07, 19:12)noggin Wrote: Are you saying they deliver a full 12 bit display? (i.e. you can see detail in the LSBs at both ends of the dynamic range?) 
Yes, that's my understanding. 2016 and later models use 12-bit D-ILA chips.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - hdmkv - 2018-04-08

(2018-04-07, 19:12)noggin Wrote:

Not sure. From what I've read, Epson does support 4.2.2 at 12bit at maximum of 25Hz, so 23.976 and 24.000 are covered.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - noggin - 2018-04-08

(2018-04-08, 01:38)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-04-07, 19:12)noggin Wrote:

Not sure. From what I've read, Epson does support 4.2.2 at 12bit at maximum of 25Hz, so 23.976 and 24.000 are covered.   
Yep - my point is support is very different to display.  Accepting a 12-bit input and processing in the 12-bit domain is very different to actually fully rendering an image with 12-bit bit depth to the viewer.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - knewknow - 2018-04-09

Just got an LG OLED (OLED65E7P), so also purchased an Apple TV 4k based on the recommendations in this thread (Dolby Vision and auto-switching). I installed Kodi using my developer's license and ran some tests with a 4K HDR video and it's not switching to HDR on playback. Any help? Here's my setup...

AppleTV - Set to 4K SDR. Both match content options are enabled. HDMI output set to YCbCr (4.2.2). Firmware 11.2.6.
Kodi - Adjust display refresh rate - on/off

Anything that I playback will go to black screen before and after running so I think that the auto-switching is attempting to function or is just not working for this particular video. I have a few different versions of the same 4K HDR and neither worked.

To add, I have a PS4 pro that auto-switches to HDR content when I run an HDR game. Using the same type/brand of cable on the Apple TV and the PS4. I was also able to manually switch to Dolby Vision on the Apple TV.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - wrxtasy - 2018-04-09

iOS / tvOS support already has it's own Kodi Sub-forum which is over HERE (click)
I suggest asking questions there for any custom sideloaded Kodi App usage with an ATV 4K.

Most simply use the MrMC App on the ATV 4K which gets proper ongoing App support.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - maxHDR - 2018-04-15

(2018-03-30, 06:59)wrxtasy Wrote: Apple TV 4K with MrMC (highly modded Kodi Jarvis) advantages:

- The Apple TV 4K's - A10X Fusion SoC is a bit of a beast, it's a really impressive ARM based chipset. This results in one slick media player. Great picture quality.
- MrMC has a cool video scrubbing feature, tvOS Netflix style that shows a little video preview Picture box whilst swiping the remote's touchpad - left and right.
- Near instantaneous OTA TV channel switching with TvHeadend.
- Inbuilt support for Emby, TrakTV and Plex databases. Recent MrMC releases include the Plex Skin as well - works better than the actual Plex App from user reports: https://mrmc.tv/2018/03/28/mrmc-and-mrmc-lite-3-6-0-back-to-the-future-with-python/
- In the future I can see MrMC branching further from Kodi with additional features you will not even get in mainstream Kodi. There is now a lot of ex-Kodi developer experience in the MrMC team.
- great Firmware support from Apple.

Disadvantages:
- No additional Kodi Addons or Skins can be installed to those already pre-packaged. This will improve going forward.
- No HD audio passthrough, so no Atmos or DTS:X - 3D spacial audio. 7.1 HD audio is decoded to lossless LPCM for no loss in audio quality.
- No auto resolution switching to let a 4K TV upscale 1080p > 4K video content and then auto switch to a 4K resolution when watching actual 4K content. You have to do it manually in tvOS settings.
However the ATV 4K's picture upscaling is above average vs the competition so in reality it is not really needed unless you are a ultra demanding video tech.
- I do miss the clean, uncluttered look of Kodi Krypton's standard - Estuary Skin & the Oz Weather Addon.
- MrMC - Kodi Jarvis does not have the smart auto searching Kodi PVR Addon recording features that Kodi Krypton now has.
- The ATV 4K touchpad remote still causes me occasional issues. It's too small, even with a great Fintie silicon remote cover, and touch controls are never as easy to use as physical remote buttons. The Xiaomi Mi Box's remote by comparison I consider near perfect for a minimal remote.
- The ATV 4K however can easily learn any Infra Red remote control using it's simple tvOS IR learning functionality.

LibreELEC 8.2.4 -Kodi Krypton (my recent personal release) for S912's like the MINIX U9:

Advantages:
- boots straight into Kodi Krypton, once setup. Even faster if you copy the LE data partition to internal eMMC storage.
- a full blown Kodi Krypton with all the Skins, Addon bells and whistles you normally expect from Kodi.
- Auto resolution switching 1080p <<-->> 4K
- HD audio passthrough including Atmos and DTS:X
- LibreELEC, a Linux based OS is a lot more open to DIY so you can use the inbuilt SAMBA server and Plug in compatible TV Tuners for use as a TvHeadend server for example.
- VP9 (profile 2) hardware decoding if you come across any of that Youtube ripped content.

Disadvantages & bugs:
- it's DIY, not exactly Plug N Play. But it's easy to install LE these days, especially on MINIX S9xx devices utilising the power button for initial LE install.
- Chroma 4:2:2 subsampling results in green video outputs (projector owners beware). 4:4:4 which you use for 24p 4K HDR is fine.
- Very subtle, occasional, rare, video frame upsets when subtitles are displayed onscreen during long camera panning scenes. I had to look really really hard to even notice this. It really does not bother me too much personally and I never see it all the time. Fixed - see HERE (click)- Not enough CPU ponies to software decode 1080p 11Mbps Hi10P Anime. - Looks to be fixed as well !
- Slightly slower OTA TV channel switching.

Apart from that I cannot notice any differences in WiFi, LAN, or visual picture quality between the two devices. Both are fast devices and play virtually any video content you throw at them. OTA TV deinterlacing picture quality is excellent on both.
The ATV 4K's settings, has a real easy to use IR learning function to use with any IR remote.
Click HERE for Harmony remote support for use with LE on the U9.

I use the ATV 4K for beautifully smooth video playback of 24p video in Apps like Netflix and Amazon Video as well as local 25fps IPTV catchup Apps. It's really is nice to have Apps support for Frame Rate and Dynamic range matching that the Apple TV 4K tvOS provides. Features and Apps support Android TV is sorely lacking.
MrMC also gets use for OTA TV and viewing local home server content.
It's a solid dependable App but needs more Kodi Bling IMHO packaging cleaner looking modern Kodi Skins. For me personally, ones with working Kodi PVR functionality (I'm looking at you MrMC/SiO2 Skin)

LE on the MINIX U9 is speedy, auto switches everything and has better Kodi Krypton PVR Addon support. I also like to experiment and install minimal, clean, sensible Kodi Skins (from Jurialmunkey) now and again. I prefer the MINIX A2 lite remote with it's mini keyboard because I can use Kodi keyboard shortcuts and easily custom map it with the Keymap Editor Addon, another thing MrMC lacks.

In the end pick what features are most important to you personally. Smile   
 I just wanted to say thank you for your great post. It helped my a lot in making a decision. The MINIX U9 is already standing next to my TV Smile.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - ROMERO91 - 2018-04-30

@wrxtasy @hdmkv Good afternoon, I'm thinking of buying one Zidoo x9s.

I need:

- auto framerate
- auto switching color range & space (for example: 2160p 4.2.0 10bit BT2020 and i'll put one movie 1080p, the system changes auto to 1080p resolution 4.2.0 8bit BT 709)

Does Zidoo x9s do it whit the last beta firmware?