Kodi Community Forum
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (/showthread.php?tid=325077)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - outcave - 2018-11-08

(2018-11-08, 10:15)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-08, 08:11)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-11-06, 13:42)outcave Wrote: @timstephens24 and @noggin I can assure you that even if the Nvidia Shield Colorspace conversion done well I'm able to see chromatic differences on my Panasonic OLED TV between "pure" Rec. 709 and Rec. 709 converted to Rec. 2020 when I put in play Rec. 709 content.
 BT.709 to BT.2020 gamut mapping on Shield accurately follows ITU BT.2087 recommendation. Any luminance difference that you see with Shield's mapped output on a display has to do with the display not applying BT.1886 gamma for BT.2020 SDR input.   

That may be the case be there appears to be an ever increasing list of displays not applying BT.1886 gamma for BT.2020 SDR inputs and then producing unacceptable results for end users with mixed Rec.709 and BT.2020 content.

The question then becomes have NVIDIA chosen the wrong path to take ?

Should they be using Rec.709 <<-->> BT.2020 colorspace switching vs the current Oreo colorspace conversion ?

The old underlying v3.xx, modded Linux Kernel would not be helping either.   
Yes, I think Nvidia chosen the wrong path to take (using conversion), but may be it was forced due to Android 7 API limitation.
Yes, if it's technically possible, Nvidia should use Rec.709 <<-->> BT.2020 colorspace switching instead to use colorspace conversion.

On my side I'm in contact with Nvidia Level 2 support, but I'm still trying to understand if a colorspace switching is technically possible on Andriod 8.
For what I know the Apple TV do that colorspace switching and I expect it will be the possibility also for the Nvidia Shield.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - hugo86e - 2018-12-04

Hi, I just bought a fire stick 4K as I now live in the UK and am quite satisfied so far. But I have a problem with kodi 17.6 krypton I just installed with Downloader (android 32 bit). I just cant use the autoframe rate option: it can be h264 720/1080p or h265, I got stuttering and its just impossible to watch anything. It works great with amazon prime videos turning my tv from 60 to 24 Hz for example but not through Kodi unfortunately. Is there any way to fix that?
If not, what tv box would you advise for that purpose, $60 max?
Thanks

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - wrxtasy - 2018-12-04

Read this post....

The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click)
(Specifically the .. 24p Kodi use on Android devices section)

Then $60 - 4K Kodi only.... THIS post (click)
You need to run 4K auto refresh / resolution switching - capable - LibreELEC or CoreELEC Kodi on such a device.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - hugo86e - 2018-12-05

thks wrxtasy. Glad to see you again after I read so much of your threads about openelec for odroid c1+ Smile maybe I should consider buying this c2 actually

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - outcave - 2019-02-14

Hi @wrxtasy 

It's time to update the first post of this thread because now the Nvidia Shield TV is able to do the colorspace autoswitch!

Since Nvidia Shield Firmware version 7.2.2 the colorspace switch is implemented. Nvidia talk about a "beta feature" but it works based on my tests. This feature, that is called "Colorimetry", is not enabled by default and should be enabled by Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer. Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart Nvidia Shield for changes to take effect.

I set Nvidia Shield to Rec. 709 (BT.709) as default colorspace (because, in my opinion, most contents are in Rec. 709) and when I go put in play a Rec. 2020 (BT.2020) content (default colorspace of HDR) the Shield will go to switch to Rec. 2020 (and my TV recognize and accept the "new" Rec. 2020 signal).
These are the results of my test:
Kodi 18: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
PLEX: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Netflix: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Amazon Video: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Youtube: Not OK, it does not work well. As we know Youtube HDR content are non compatible with Nvidia Shield because Nvidia Shield does not HW decode VP9 Profile 2 codec. But the problem here is when you go to put in play a 4K (2160p) SDR video (so with BT.709 colorspace also confirmed in the "stats for nerds" of Youtube) the Shield will go to switch from BT.709 to BT.2020. So, it seems, the Nvidia Shield for 2160p Youtube videos will go always to switch from  Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020. Anyway the color results is good (not whashed) so, may be, in that case Nvidia Shield will got to convert Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020.
Anyway, since HDR Youtube video cannot be played because Nvidia Shield does not HW decode VP9 Profile 2 codec, in my opinion this is a very minor limitation of the new colorspace switch feature.

Bye!

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - Nyderach - 2019-02-26

Hi

8bit Rec709 or 10bit 709 in ur Settings?

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - k1lerbee - 2019-03-01

why isn't fire tv 4k (2018) listed under "Auto dynamic Frame Rate matching / switching" ?

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - noggin - 2019-03-01

(2019-03-01, 14:27)k1lerbee Wrote: why isn't fire tv 4k (2018) listed under "Auto dynamic Frame Rate matching / switching" ?
 Possibly because it isn't automatic - and requires very specific API access.  Like the nVidia Shield TV - Netflix, BBC iplayer and most other third party etc. don't frame rate switch on the Fire TV 4K - though Prime Video and Kodi do.

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - k1lerbee - 2019-03-03

(2019-03-01, 18:50)noggin Wrote:
(2019-03-01, 14:27)k1lerbee Wrote: why isn't fire tv 4k (2018) listed under "Auto dynamic Frame Rate matching / switching" ?
 Possibly because it isn't automatic - and requires very specific API access.  Like the nVidia Shield TV - Netflix, BBC iplayer and most other third party etc. don't frame rate switch on the Fire TV 4K - though Prime Video and Kodi do. 
 ok as long as Kodi does automatic framerate switch I am fine

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - adamkex - 2019-04-13

(2019-02-14, 10:45)outcave Wrote: Hi @wrxtasy 

It's time to update the first post of this thread because now the Nvidia Shield TV is able to do the colorspace autoswitch!

Since Nvidia Shield Firmware version 7.2.2 the colorspace switch is implemented. Nvidia talk about a "beta feature" but it works based on my tests. This feature, that is called "Colorimetry", is not enabled by default and should be enabled by Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer. Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart Nvidia Shield for changes to take effect.

I set Nvidia Shield to Rec. 709 (BT.709) as default colorspace (because, in my opinion, most contents are in Rec. 709) and when I go put in play a Rec. 2020 (BT.2020) content (default colorspace of HDR) the Shield will go to switch to Rec. 2020 (and my TV recognize and accept the "new" Rec. 2020 signal).
These are the results of my test:
Kodi 18: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
PLEX: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Netflix: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Amazon Video: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Youtube: Not OK, it does not work well. As we know Youtube HDR content are non compatible with Nvidia Shield because Nvidia Shield does not HW decode VP9 Profile 2 codec. But the problem here is when you go to put in play a 4K (2160p) SDR video (so with BT.709 colorspace also confirmed in the "stats for nerds" of Youtube) the Shield will go to switch from BT.709 to BT.2020. So, it seems, the Nvidia Shield for 2160p Youtube videos will go always to switch from  Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020. Anyway the color results is good (not whashed) so, may be, in that case Nvidia Shield will got to convert Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020.
Anyway, since HDR Youtube video cannot be played because Nvidia Shield does not HW decode VP9 Profile 2 codec, in my opinion this is a very minor limitation of the new colorspace switch feature.

Bye!

Does this mean that my TV will use hardware upscalers for 720p/1080p content? Information from another thread:

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - vs40 - 2019-04-28

Hi, folks!
I have few questions about auto frame rate.

1) Does it work with macOS version?
1a) If yes, does it work with internal display or only with external?
1b) Does it work via DisplaPort or only via HDMI?

2) Does it work with internal display of Windows laptop?

3) If I will get Fire TV Stick 4K, will it work with any monitor via HDMI or not every monitor support auto frame rate?

I'm tried it on internal display of MacBook Pro, on external monitor via DP and on internal display of Windows laptop, but it doesn't work  No
I'm using last version of KODI and I'm turned on the auto frame rate option in settings.

PS
Yes, I don't have any HDMI cable in my new apartment to try it now Rofl

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - zibaji - 2019-11-18

I am using on 2019 N vidia shield and NAS files DV in mp4 only play HDR

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - zibaji - 2019-11-18

I am also using Mrmc on Apple TV, DV no go

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - wrxtasy - 2019-11-18

(2019-11-18, 01:20)zibaji Wrote: I am also using Mrmc on Apple TV, DV no go

Follow the links in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - antony23 - 2019-11-18

Hi, i would make some questions to better understand.

All TV's accept switching frame rate? Or they have to support a specific protocol? Tv's can accept any framerate value until its max framerate?
And what happens if box is connected directly to A/V receiver, so box->AV receiver->Tv? This could break someway frame rate matching?

More, i would question about auto resolution switching too, that it seems related to frame rate switching.
It seems that auto frame rate switching needs auto resolution set to auto, ex. in the amazon firestick. it is mandatory to let frame rate switching works correctly? And if "auto reoslution switching" is not available?

Ex. using auto FR switching, and having a 1080p24 content, which will send to a 4k TV? 

And if we have instead an interlaced video content, ex. 1080i50, what happens? Could setting auto FR swithcing and auto Resolution switching send 1080i50 to TV? Or IIRC kodi cannot output interlaced content? Maybe other apps can?

Sorry for so much questions, but i would really understand Smile

Thanks