Kodi Community Forum
v18 Subtitle Issue - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Video Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=264)
+--- Thread: v18 Subtitle Issue (/showthread.php?tid=326482)

Pages: 1 2

Subtitle Issue - pkowalsk - 2018-01-03

Hello. Since the beginning of Leia there is a problem with loading the subtitles for Video.
Even when the subtitle is at the same folder then video file those subtitles are not loaded.
You can not load it even manually.

If I Download new subtitle from any Subtitle Source (Addons) then subtitles are displayed. But when i Stop and Resume File then subtitles are again missing.
The subtitle file is not stored in folder of movie.

This is a bug i think.
But this works properly if You change in Settings / Play Next Video File Automatically. If YES - Subtitle is not working, If this settings is NO then subtitle are loaded properly.

Is only me having this issue ?

In Kodi 17 it was ok, since 18 there is a problem.

RE: Subtitle Issue - pkowalsk - 2018-04-05

No news ? Any feedback or its just mine problem

RE: Subtitle Issue - PatK - 2018-04-09

You're using alpha software, there is going to be anomalies. A keyboard 'T' will deactivate or activate subtitles, and if the subs are named as the title (e.g. movie name.srt) they should play if they're stored in the same folder as the movie.

RE: Subtitle Issue - Atreyu - 2018-04-10

I have been testing leia (libreelec) and have noticed the same issue.
I have ‘play next’ on, will test if subs are displayed with this setting turned off when i get the chance

RE: Subtitle Issue - nokaoi - 2018-09-07

Confirming this is still the case in alpha 3. Haven't installed the beta yet so can't comment on that.

RE: Subtitle Issue - FernetMenta - 2018-09-09

Please provide a sample or source to a sample and detailed steps to reproduce.

RE: Subtitle Issue - OzDrDj - 2018-09-13

Thank you for that, Been driving me spare for months.

RE: Subtitle Issue - Nazgulled - 2018-11-07

(2018-09-09, 16:43)FernetMenta Wrote: Please provide a sample or source to a sample and detailed steps to reproduce.
 I also have the problem described above and maybe I can provide a little bit more information that could help debug the root cause.

I'm currently on Leia beta 5 and I'm using Emby with the Emby for Kodi addon. In other words, my Kodi database is populated by Emby through the aforementioned addon. I was noticing this problem (external subtitles not loading) only for my TV Shows, Movies had no problem at all and I was getting confused. Posted the issue over at Emby forums, a dev pointed this topic and I finally fixed the issue on my end by disabling the "Play next video file automatically" option which was previously set to "Episodes" only (that's why I was only having the issue with TV Shows and not Movies. In my case, I'm using Emby to populate Kodi's database, not sure if the users above are doing something similar or not (could be relevant to help find the issue).

I also added my TV Shows and Movies to Kodi as "video sources" but without content type (so that I could just browser the media folders, as a fallback to the library failing for some reason). Playing both TV Shows and Movies from these video sources (no the TV Shows/Movies libraries), external subtitles were always loaded successfully. This problem seems to be happening only by playing media through libraries and if the "Play next video file automatically" is enabled.

I hope this helps you out Smile

RE: Subtitle Issue - DNKK - 2018-11-16

I started using the upnext service plugin to get around this bug. Instead of using kodi's built in play next video automatically option.
This is happening because of how Kodi uses playlists for its next video option. So Kodi is unaware of the folder and the external subs that are available for each video file.

RE: Subtitle Issue - pcextreme - 2019-05-30

I am using Kodi 18.2 on Windows x86, x64 and on RPI3 via Libreelec ... This "bug" is still present. Any chance of changing this to the OLD behaviour ( KOID 17.6 )?

RE: Subtitle Issue - PatK - 2019-06-16

(2019-05-30, 14:51)pcextreme Wrote: I am using Kodi 18.2 on Windows x86, x64 and on RPI3 via Libreelec ... This "bug" is still present. Any chance of changing this to the OLD behaviour ( KOID 17.6 )?
Submit something in the bug tracker and point back to this thread.

RE: Subtitle Issue - pcextreme - 2019-06-18

This is the same problem I am facing on all my platforms :
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/14947
This isue is marked closed, I tried downloading and installing new Leia and Matrix nightlies, but the problem persists. My knowledge around using github is limited, so I dont know how to edit and compile the source code ( change GetPath to GetDynPath ) ...
My media files are on a Windows PC, and I acces them with library as "smb://COMPUTER1/SHARED/SERIES" ( the content is set TVShows ).
1. If everything is OFF under "Play next video automatically" and I start an episode ( ex. barry.s01e01.mkv ) by "PLAY" I can not press the NEXT button on OSD video during playback ( as expected ), but if I download a subtitle for that video file, the subtitle is saved beside the video file ( ex. barry.s01e01.hu.srt ),  and I can select to use it every time I play that video file ( barry.s01e01.mkv ). But then at the end of that video file I must stop, and manually select the next file of the episode to play from the list ( barry.s01e02.mkv ... )
2. If I enable "TV Shows" or "Episodes" under "Play next video automatically", then after starting the episode "barry.s01e01" with play, I can always skip to next or previous episode with OSD or keyboard shortcuts. If I download the same subtitle as above, the subtitle starts playing, but will NOT be saved beside the video file, so the next time I start the same video file ( ex batty.s01e01.mkv ) there will be no external subtitle to be loaded automatically.

RE: Subtitle Issue - Camel56 - 2019-07-27

(2019-06-18, 15:10)pcextreme Wrote: This is the same problem I am facing on all my platforms :
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/14947
This isue is marked closed, I tried downloading and installing new Leia and Matrix nightlies, but the problem persists. My knowledge around using github is limited, so I dont know how to edit and compile the source code ( change GetPath to GetDynPath ) ...
My media files are on a Windows PC, and I acces them with library as "smb://COMPUTER1/SHARED/SERIES" ( the content is set TVShows ).
1. If everything is OFF under "Play next video automatically" and I start an episode ( ex. barry.s01e01.mkv ) by "PLAY" I can not press the NEXT button on OSD video during playback ( as expected ), but if I download a subtitle for that video file, the subtitle is saved beside the video file ( ex. barry.s01e01.hu.srt ),  and I can select to use it every time I play that video file ( barry.s01e01.mkv ). But then at the end of that video file I must stop, and manually select the next file of the episode to play from the list ( barry.s01e02.mkv ... )
2. If I enable "TV Shows" or "Episodes" under "Play next video automatically", then after starting the episode "barry.s01e01" with play, I can always skip to next or previous episode with OSD or keyboard shortcuts. If I download the same subtitle as above, the subtitle starts playing, but will NOT be saved beside the video file, so the next time I start the same video file ( ex batty.s01e01.mkv ) there will be no external subtitle to be loaded automatically.

I have recently installed Kodi 18 on my NAS with HDMI output, and have just begun adding movies to my NAS.
I have been using Handbrake to just get the Main Movie/Audio/ and remove subs from the output file.
I then use SubRip to create an SRT from the DVD of the Main Movie.
I name both the Movie and Subtitle the Same but add .english.srt to the sub.
Then I Create a folder with the same name as the movie and stuff both the movie and srt in the folder.

In Kodi, I am able to play the movie and at far right, I can select the subtitle.
I have not had to use an online subtitle source yet, but have in the past.  I found that some of the subtitles are out of sync with my own video and even with adjusting delay they still don't stay synced.  To me, it's easier to download the sub, edit what I need to, and pack it with the movie.

Subtitle Workshop is a great sub editor and can output to many formats
Subrip only pulls sub stream from video to srt

I'm probably telling you what you already know, but this is how I can get subs to work for me.

RE: Subtitle Issue - Klojum - 2019-07-27

(2019-07-27, 08:29)Camel56 Wrote: I name both the Movie and Subtitle the Same but add .english.srt to the sub.
Kodi prefers the shortened version of language codes for subtitles, as in movie.en.srt or movie.it.srt
That format is also used by the subtitle download add-ons. Smile

(2019-07-27, 08:29)Camel56 Wrote: I'm probably telling you what you already know, but this is how I can get subs to work for me.
There are more ways to get to Rome when getting subtitles. You use the tools that work for you.
I mostly use command line scripts to extract or remove subtitles from videos.

RE: Subtitle Issue - pcextreme - 2019-12-02

Could this be the fix for the problem described above ?

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15116/files/d1098a03e16bac215dd2a54908932b7051700d24

Who do I need to contact to try to implement this into some of the upcoming Kodi release ?