Kodi Community Forum
Release Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Release Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=327562)

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - Maddog2020 - 2018-05-23

I am very impressed with this skill. Both the ease of setup and use.

Is there any chance that its use can be expanded to work with my music collection as well?

I know there are other solutions involving setting up your own using AWS etc. But my Kodi runs on a modified android box (using libreelec) and I use a VPN (via OpenVPN) which will not allow me to use port forwarding.

Any help would be much appreciated.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - tkislan - 2018-05-24

(2018-05-23, 12:40)Maddog2020 Wrote: I am very impressed with this skill. Both the ease of setup and use.

Is there any chance that its use can be expanded to work with my music collection as well?

I know there are other solutions involving setting up your own using AWS etc. But my Kodi runs on a modified android box (using libreelec) and I use a VPN (via OpenVPN) which will not allow me to use port forwarding.

Currently Amazon doesn't support smart home API for playing music (like with amazon music, spotify, etc.)
But once they do, I might have a look into it

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - Maddog2020 - 2018-05-24

(2018-05-24, 09:22)tkislan Wrote:
(2018-05-23, 12:40)Maddog2020 Wrote: I am very impressed with this skill. Both the ease of setup and use.

Currently Amazon doesn't support smart home API for playing music (like with amazon music, spotify, etc.)
But once they do, I might have a look into it 

Many thanks.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - Malachor - 2018-05-25

Hi,

I'm unable to send you a PM or E-Mail to register my Amazon linked E-Mail address as it says I'm not authorised for either of them on this Forum.

How can I do this please?

Thanks.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - Smoky M - 2018-05-25

Thanks!  Message sent to you from reddit

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - jetblack - 2018-05-30

I would like to give this a try.  I'll try and send you a PM.

Unfortunately, I am unable to PM you. Not sure why, I didn't see anything in the forum rules that pertains to this.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - tkislan - 2018-05-30

(2018-05-30, 19:01)jetblack Wrote: I would like to give this a try.  I'll try and send you a PM.

Unfortunately, I am unable to PM you. Not sure why, I didn't see anything in the forum rules that pertains to this.
You need have at least some minimum amount of posts on the forums. You can PM me on reddit (same username). There are no restrictions there.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - jetblack - 2018-05-31

message sent on reddit

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - jetblack - 2018-06-02

Thanks for adding me. I only have an Echo Dot, but I have the Alexa app on my phone..  I got everything set up properly in Kodi Connect, the Kodi Video skill, etc.  But when i tell my Echo Dot to play a movie, Alexa says that it cannot find a linked video skill to play a movie, even though it shows it in the Alexa app and it is linked.  If i try it from my phone using the Alexa app, it works.

Has anybody had success with the Echo Dot?

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - shukerr - 2018-06-02

I had the same issue and didn't get it working. I need to have another look at things. Please let me know if you fix it?

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - josh4trunks - 2018-06-05

(2018-05-23, 11:12)tkislan Wrote:
(2018-05-22, 23:56)josh4trunks Wrote: So this addon work well for me after a bootup / reboot. But I always seem to get "Cannot connect to Kodi Video" when i try to use this after waking my kodi computer from suspend. Is this a known issue? I can try providing a log if that would help debug my issue.
I've never tested it with suspending, but the Addon tries to reconnect every 20 seconds after it disconnects.
Debug logs would definitely help here. 
 I tested this again and it worked, even after resuming from a brief suspend. =]
I will definitely be trying to use this skill in my daily routine and post logs if I do hit any issues related to resuming.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - RIJOSROBERTO - 2018-06-05

Thank you for the insight , no wonder i couldn't reply lol.

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - RIJOSROBERTO - 2018-06-05

Can you please add the skill to my skills list [email protected]

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - tkislan - 2018-06-07

(2018-06-05, 21:29)RIJOSROBERTO Wrote: Can you please add the skill to my skills list

Sure, I've added you.
You can remove your email from your post.
And here is the link for the skill activation:
https://skills-store.amazon.com/deeplink/tvt/afacb1fdc71a76b0a3be13de60a7240d0b110ec80de8ef7aff379ab9e55ae351de9ff779708481764fb95e4116977c65288c0a0d4e0d4581444d002626f1bca3a76881226d04b4289b89bc2c1fcaea674fa0bc00b764d51613f43cea57cd871c5fed97221e35ffe6bc19dd9292f311cf

RE: Amazon Echo Alexa Video Skill for Kodi - badbob001 - 2018-06-08

This is a rather exciting skill but I'm not sure if it's family-ready. Searching for movies don't seem to give me the expected results.

Say I asked, "Find me Star Trek" and I get back:
  • Star Trek
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Star Trek: Nemesis
But my movie library contains:
  • Star Trek
  • Star Trek Beyond
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  • Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (why did I pick this long example?)
  • Star Trek: First Contact
  • Star Trek: Generations
  • Star Trek: Insurrection
  • Star Trek: Nemesis
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  • Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

In another example, I have this in my library:
  • Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
and I say, "Show me the last jedi".

Alexa would say, "Getting Star Wars The Last Jedi Theatrical Version From Kodi Video". Then it may correctly show me:
  • Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
or on a rare occasion, show me:
  • Transformers: The Last Knight
But what is the deal with it using the title "Star Wars The Last Jedi Theatrical Version" instead of the words "The Last Jedi"? Is it really just searching by "the last jedi" and saying "Star Wars The Last Jedi Theatrical Version" is just a cosmetic audio feedback thing?  I suspect it's not always simply searching by exactly what I ask for because the results are not complete or wrong.

Could it be that alexa first tries to find a match in it's own movie database and then pass that full title to kodi's search? This is rather frustrating if my movie titles don't match amazon's secret database (if it's in their database at all) or if I'm expecting it to do a straight-forward substring search.

I also have custom genres in my library (eg: Kids Movies) and that doesn't work.
And not sure if this should work but it doesn't: Show me movies from 1979.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.