Kodi Community Forum
Additional local album images (cd inserts etc) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Additional local album images (cd inserts etc) (/showthread.php?tid=331179)

Pages: 1 2 3

adding images from CD inserts - tOM_XB - 2017-04-28

hello,

what's the best/correct way to add the image+text content of a leaflets that sometimes come with a CDs (i.e. so JPEGs of the text/photos). Can these be filenamed so they appear via album and then 'information' on context menu?

am working through various aspects of a proper music setup so apologies if I've had a few questions to ask today.

relatedly, would it be helpful to write up any answers in the wiki somewhere? I've not done so before but as a 'average savvy but non-developer' type would it be useful to record steps during setup from that perspective? Just a thought anyway if it's needed.

Tom

RE: adding images from CD inserts - Powerhouse - 2017-04-28

Well, there are a couple of things you can do.

1. If they are images, you can put them in an extrafanarts folder and they will show up when playing a song from the album, just like different pictures of the artist can be displayed (depends upon the skin your using).
2. Some skins support multiple images within ID3 tags. So using MediaMonkey for example, you can have both a cover, and back cover images listed for each music track. Then, again if you have a skin that supports it, you can show both the front an rear cover of an Album. I know that Aeon MQ7 has this feature (using the List 3D view for albums).
3. Bug @DaveBlake, and see if he can incorporate this as a feature in Kodi 18. Wink

RE: adding images from CD inserts - tOM_XB - 2017-04-29

(2017-04-28, 21:42)Powerhouse Wrote: Well, there are a couple of things you can do.

1. If they are images, you can put them in an extrafanarts folder and they will show up when playing a song from the album, just like different pictures of the artist can be displayed (depends upon the skin your using).
2. Some skins support multiple images within ID3 tags. So using MediaMonkey for example, you can have both a cover, and back cover images listed for each music track. Then, again if you have a skin that supports it, you can show both the front an rear cover of an Album. I know that Aeon MQ7 has this feature (using the List 3D view for albums).
3. Bug @DaveBlake, and see if he can incorporate this as a feature in Kodi 18. Wink

thansk for this

yes I have mediamonkey and see I can add the CD leaflet artwork. That's great, except it's just displaying it in Kodi (instead of the cover art when you hover over in the tracklisting), rather than being usable to view/read.

The fanart method with the folder named 'extrafanart' (your step 1) didn't seem to be recognised by Kodi (I'm just using standard Estuary skin, 17.1). The folder's sitting in the album directory, and the files themselves (jpgs) are not named following any specific format. Is all that as it should be?

I guess it's a bit of a niche request given not that many albums have notes the insert, but it's definitely nice to have them accessible and enriches listening, so def would back that call for future integration somehow (is the correct term 'liner notes' or 'CD insert')?

i wonder .. Nerd

RE: adding images from CD inserts - meowmoo - 2017-04-29

For 1, you need the artist slideshow add-on, and a skin that support it, default estuary skin did not support it.

And I'm not sure if it pic up extrafanart folder inside the album folder, I have a extra folder on my NAS, where alle the Artist/extrafanart folders are.

I guess your CD insert are 1000x1000 or something like this, so I'm not sure if it will look good

RE: adding images from CD inserts - tOM_XB - 2017-04-29

ah right. Ok will have to find out which skin is better for music ...

yeah i can just fix artwork dimensions later, that should be OK

thanks for the help.

RE: adding images from CD inserts - scott967 - 2017-04-30

Note that in the ID3 tag spec, the art (APIC) tag defines 15 picture types (including "other") and the leaflet is type 5, so it could be extracted and saved in Kodi but obviously needs coding and library database support.

scott s.

RE: adding images from CD inserts - DaveBlake - 2017-04-30

Correct handling of multiple pictures in the art tag is something that needs fixing in Kodi. In theory it can cope with 3, but there is a bug meaning it only shows one, and that isn't always the first one.

The text content of leaflets could be loaded via album.NFO as the <review>, or added to the community knowledge via additions to TADB and then scraped.

(2017-04-28, 18:11)tOM_XB Wrote: would it be helpful to write up any answers in the wiki somewhere? I've not done so before but as a 'average savvy but non-developer' type would it be useful to record steps during setup from that perspective? Just a thought anyway if it's needed.
Tom, guides written from a user perspective are welcome. Maybe rather than direct to wiki post a draft on this forum so that any obvious things can be edited etc. But yes, it would be helpful.

RE: adding images from CD inserts - tOM_XB - 2017-04-30

Hi, thanks for these.

yes I noticed mediamonkey can in theory add up to 17 'image types' under the Artwork property.

I guess it wouldn't make so much sense if images are large .. e.g. one of mine is 1.5mb so adding to all the 20 songs would add a total 30mb to the album..

as an alternate would it be worth considering kodi reading the nfo for 'leaflet art' somehow - e.g. 'leafletart' or 'insertart' could be a folder it scans?

Quote:Tom, guides written from a user perspective are welcome. Maybe rather than direct to wiki post a draft on this forum so that any obvious things can be edited etc. But yes, it would be helpful.
I'll think about this .. I guess the way forward would be to first confirm what specific wiki page or pages exist (i.e. on something I've asked about).

(2017-04-30, 13:18)tOM_XB Wrote: I guess it wouldn't make so much sense if images are large .. e.g. one of mine is 1.5mb so adding to all the 20 songs would add a total 30mb to the album..
No not much sense, embedding art does have downsides. Having 100kb of album cover in a 23mb FLAC file is small beer, but at some size it starts to get silly.

Quote:as an alternate would it be worth considering kodi reading the nfo for 'leaflet art' somehow - e.g. 'leafletart' or 'insertart' could be a folder it scans?
Adding to the varity of art that can be scraped for an album does make some sense, but no promises for v18. As @Powerhouse knows well "bugging" me doesn't work, however I do get sucked in to good ideas and user enthusiasm from time to time. :p

IMO liner notes are still best as text not an image, and held in the db in a way that can be searched etc. Information like musicians, recording data etc. is also best included in the appropriate tag, again so it has meaning. A picture of the leaflet/insert can not be exploited for content. But that still leaves the prettiness of it, which once ripped and cd stored in the attic or garage you never see again.

thanks Dave

yes absolutely, but how would liner notes be stored or (and converted to text for that matter) - I don't think i see that function on the audiodb for example.

Would be GREAT to bring together all the background info via kodi though .. e.g. album description (e.g. from audiodb), + review and CD insert notes would make for a very rich experience IMO.

will do best not to bug Wink

(2017-04-30, 13:27)tOM_XB Wrote:
Quote:Tom, guides written from a user perspective are welcome. Maybe rather than direct to wiki post a draft on this forum so that any obvious things can be edited etc. But yes, it would be helpful.
I'll think about this .. I guess the way forward would be to first confirm what specific wiki page or pages exist (i.e. on something I've asked about).
Have a good read. Some is out of date, and there are certainly gaps too. I am not a wiki expert, and I don't really get the structure of the wiki we have, but I do know that I repeat myself in posts explaining things far too much.

(2017-04-30, 14:10)tOM_XB Wrote: how would liner notes be stored or (and converted to text for that matter) - I don't think i see that function on the audiodb for example.

Would be GREAT to bring together all the background info via kodi though .. e.g. album description (e.g. from audiodb), + review and CD insert notes would make for a very rich experience IMO.
Converting liner notes to text: OCR, voice recogntion (read them into an app?), type them out manualy....

Currently TADB has both "album description" and "album review", the Universal scraper fetches just the album description and that gets displayed on the album info dialog. Internally to Kodi it is held as the strReview field of the album table, and can also be populated by the <review> field of the album.nfo file. The naming could be better.

I realise that some liner notes are very extensive e.g. Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" CD booklet has 13 pages with comprehensive descriptions from both Bill Evans and Robert Plamer, and an anonymous note on "The Legacy of Columbia Jazz". None of this matches what is on TADB currently for that album, but that is down to what the community submits.

It would be best held as a community effort (only one of us has to do the typing/OCR etc.), and I always assumed that TADB was just the place to put such text although I don't know if there is any copyright issue with holding actual liner notes. But if I put that text in the NFO then kodi would hold it in the library and display it

Maybe @zag will spot this post and chip in on what to do with such liner notes. Smile

thanks Dave -

yes OK, fair enough, i guess it would take a certain level of community interest to work but logically seems a good next step after having album art etc...
Of course, yes it would necessitate a step such as OCR, which would perhaps deter some from bothering - in that case perhaps there is some circumstance in which just being able to view scanned images within Kodi would be a justifiable feature (given it already handles images as a media source in their own right I presume this wouldn't be too difficult to integrate into the music side of the interface..?)

I suppose, strictly speaking, reviews are distinct from liner notes, as they might originate from other sources, such as newspaper or magazine coverage. yes the copyright implications would need to be understood here but I'd suggest relevant/valuable info on albums could also be obtained e.g. from Wikipedia or similar such sources.

RE: adding images from CD inserts - atlind01 - 2017-05-02

(2017-04-28, 21:42)Powerhouse Wrote: 2. Some skins support multiple images within ID3 tags. So using MediaMonkey for example, you can have both a cover, and back cover images listed for each music track. Then, again if you have a skin that supports it, you can show both the front an rear cover of an Album. I know that Aeon MQ7 has this feature (using the List 3D view for albums).

Is there any specific settings that needs to be turned on with Aeon MQ7. Because I have saved the tagged the image as 'back cover' and I checked the tag thru both Mp3Tag and MediaMonkey, yet I don't see Aeon recognizing the back cover. I actually posted the question under Aeon thread but nobody responded.

RE: adding images from CD inserts - DaveBlake - 2017-05-02

(2017-05-02, 21:51)atlind01 Wrote: Is there any specific settings that needs to be turned on with Aeon MQ7. Because I have saved the tagged the image as 'back cover' and I checked the tag thru both Mp3Tag and MediaMonkey, yet I don't see Aeon recognizing the back cover. I actually posted the question under Aeon thread but nobody responded.
I don't know what Aeon MQ7 does, but if it relies on Kodi to read the embedded image, and I think it must, then I would be surprized if it worked. Kodi has a problem with support for multiple embedded images.

Maybe Aeon MQ7 gets the back cover from some file?