Kodi Community Forum
Solved Cannot access media shares - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Solved Cannot access media shares (/showthread.php?tid=331989)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cannot access media shares - Billzilla - 2018-05-18

I've got a generic Intel box that's running LibreElec on it. Up until a couple of weeks ago it was working just fine but this pc (my Windows10 pc that has all the media files on it) required a reboot and since then nothing has worked and it's just getting worse. There's been a few suggestions from the LE forum (https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12383-accessing-network-problems-again/) but nothing has solved the problem. I'm getting extremely fed-up with the lack of progress.
I've created a new user (kodi) with admin privileges, shared the appropriate folders with the Kodi user. It's just a damn nightmare.

RE: Cannot access media shares - PatK - 2018-05-18

The thread you linked, has the definitive answer with chewitt diagnosing and blueribb offering the best solution. Unfortunately, I'm not using windows 10 atm and a step by step guide from me wouldn't work, but in the thread are people eager to offer a helping hand, stick with it and eventually you'll be gold and knowlegable. I'll put this issue down to a MS windows 10 incongruity and a failure to communicate with it's users.

RE: Cannot access media shares - Billzilla - 2018-05-18

I've done everything chewitt has said and it's either done nothing or made things worse. Blueribb has been far better but still no real progress.

RE: Cannot access media shares - Karellen - 2018-05-19

@Billzilla

I don't know what extra help you are going to receive here. The thread you linked to is quite comprehensive. You asked for assistance, and you received it. You asked for step by step guides and you received it. If, after 53 posts, you still cannot get it to work, then there is not a lot more that we can do to assist you. We certainly won't be duplicating the efforts of the LibreElec forum.

As suggested, maybe you need a computer literate friend/family member to assist you. Or maybe move over to an operating system that you have some knowledge with, eg Windows.

Though, if anybody wants to try to assist you again, they are welcome to, but just a heads up that you may not get a lot of assistance here. Those same moderators/members at LibreElec also live in this Kodi forum.

RE: Cannot access media shares - Billzilla - 2018-05-19

I'm trying a different group because everything suggested at the LE forums demonstrably didn't work. I made it very clear that I didn't know a lot about how all this works and yet all too often the reply was to the effect of "go and learn how to do it". I was hoping that this forum was not also the type that thinks it's cool to ignore the newcomers.

So again, if anyone is willing to help it would be greatly appreciated indeed. It was working perfectly up until recently, I can't be the only one that this has happened to, so there must be solutions that have been applied here. That's all I'm asking; how this problem was solved. It's not too much to ask.

RE: Cannot access media shares - Karellen - 2018-05-19

(2018-05-19, 00:48)Billzilla Wrote: I was hoping that this forum was not also the type that thinks it's cool to ignore the newcomers.
It is a shame that you think that way, when it is so clearly wrong. LibreElec have bent over backwards to try and help you. You have had 2 Developers and 1 Moderator there trying to help you along with general members, so your comment is unjust. All I am saying is that those same people are also here, so they are certainly not going to re-write their LibreElec forum comments here in the Kodi forum.

(2018-05-19, 00:48)Billzilla Wrote: too often the reply was to the effect of "go and learn how to do it"
As callous as it sounds, it is true. You have been given directions how to do it. If it does not work, then you need to research what is going wrong. We can only provide general information. We are not sitting in your home looking at your equipment and setup to see what the issue may be. We are not a forum catering to technology 101. It is expected that you have at least the basic skills and understanding to manipulate your hardware and software. If you are given instructions that you do not understand, then research exactly what that step means, instead of complaining that we are not helping you. Don't understand how to set up a Share... then call up Google and type How To Share Folder Windows 10. It should return a few hundred thousand results on how to do that.

We are not unwilling to help you, and the LibreElec thread proves it, but there is only so much we can do, and so far we are willing to go, and I am sure we are at those limits now. Of course your thread will remain open in the chance someone wants to invest the time to research your problem as you explained in your last line. Smile

I'll say it again - I can't be the only one that this has happened to. I did everything that was suggested and it didn't work. I'm trying this forum now so that other people might try to help. So far that's been a big fat zero. Either help or stay out of the thread please.

RE: Cannot access media shares - PatK - 2018-05-19

Any chance I could talk you into a windows Kodi portable install on the Intel box? https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode you might get a fresh appreciation.

Thanks - But I've done a complete fresh install. Just sorting through that now.

RE: Cannot access media shares - Billzilla - 2018-05-20

The latest update, and no real progress. (copied from the LE forum) 

Quote:This is the guide I used to add a new local user account: How to Create a New Local User Account in Windows 10
  Yep I did exactly that.  
Quote:Again, you should add some media to your Windows 7 computer - set up password protected sharing and try accessing your media. If it works, then your problem is the Windows 10 computer. Remember, the Windows 7 computer will have a different IP address. I don't like the idea of editing a password file using SSH. The "add network location" method should work just fine.

I tried on the W7 pc, I turned on sharing needing a password (Change Advanced Sharing Settings) but it never asks for a password in any menu I can find. However, if I go to Add Network Location in the LE box, then use the IP address of the W7 pc along with the shared folder name, it does try to connect. But as you'd expect since the folder doesn't have a password it won't go any further. If I use the name of the W7 pc, it just does the 'Invalid argument' thing again.I'm going to record a video of exactly what I'd doing with this W10 pc, hopefully someone can pick up on whatever error I might be making. I've done my best to exactly what's been given to me but it just does not work.

RE: Cannot access media shares - kruppin - 2018-05-20

It seems another thing that happens when windows 10 updates to newer versions is that it automatically reactivates the "activate password protected shares" or whatever it's called in Advanced Sharing Settings.. Has happened every big windows update, so I need to go and disable it again, as I don't want or need password protected shares.  So for people getting the password promt when trying connecting should check that, if they are using non password protected shares like me. Another thing that happens with new windowsd 10 updates is that it can disable old SMB versions and may need to be activated again through control panel, add remove programs, add windows functions. And make sure your network is marked as "private".. I didn't read the other thread, so sorry if this has all been suggested. :p

(2018-05-20, 01:47)kruppin Wrote: It seems another thing that happens when windows 10 updates to newer versions is that it automatically reactivates the "activate password protected shares" or whatever it's called in Advanced Sharing Settings.. Has happened every big windows update, so I need to go and disable it again, as I don't want or need password protected shares.  So for people getting the password promt when trying connecting should check that, if they are using non password protected shares like me. Another thing that happens with new windowsd 10 updates is that it can disable old SMB versions and may need to be activated again through control panel, add remove programs, add windows functions. And make sure your network is marked as "private".. I didn't read the other thread, so sorry if this has all been suggested. :p
 I've been told by a fair few people here that SMBv1 shouldn't be used, so I removed it from this W10 pc. LE will work with SMBv2 and SMBv3 so that's what I'm trying to get working. I also turned off the requirement for passwords in the Change Advanced Sharing Settings window and tried accessing the share through captain/movies and 192.168.0.7/Movies but that still doesn't work.

Anyway here's a video of what I've done and tried. Hopefully someone can pick up what I've done wrong or missed doing. I really need some help here please!
(I also tried putting some vids in a directory that upnp can access, but that was not successful either. The file didn't show up in the appropriate folder)

https://youtu.be/fE6UleEAU0c

RE: Cannot access media shares - Karellen - 2018-05-20

@Billzilla

I received the Win10 1803 update yesterday which had me losing a bit more hair for half an hour Wink. I realised that update disables Network Sharing for some reason. I had to restart it and set it to start it by default for every startup. Not sure if this issue affects you, but worth checking the setting to make sure... https://winaero.com/blog/network-computers-not-visible-windows-10-version-1803/

At the 6:05 mark of your video when using the IP Address to connect to SMB, have a look at my screenshots below and enter as I have...

1. My network share on my other Win10 computer. Note the address in the address bar. I am accessing TV Shows on drive g:\ on the remote computer

2. Using IP Address to set up the SMB access, note the use of drive letter and backslash. Folder name is typed exactly as it is named on the remote computer, so check the case.

3. SMB Share is accepted

Hope that helps...

Some good info there, but unfortunately it hasn't worked either. 
The Function Discovery thing was set to manual, I changed it to automatic but it was already running before I did that. I still get the same Invalid Argument and Connection Timed Out errors when I use the E:\Movies folder.
Thanks for trying though.

Edit - I've also tried this, to no avail.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjUSINDKCg

RE: Cannot access media shares - Karellen - 2018-05-20

Shame. Sad

That Invalid Argument is not something I have seen before. Hopefully the LibreElec guys might know what it is when morning comes to their side of the world.