Kodi Community Forum
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: 4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=332180)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - mataus19 - 2019-03-10

Hi,

From what I have researched it is not possible to stream Dolby Vision because it is dual layer and you are unable to package this in a MKV container...Is this correct?

If this is the case does HDR10+ follow the same format?

I have read the Apple TV 4k can play Dolby Vision. Is this only from Apps like Netflix etc, not from files stored locally on a NAS?

Thanks!

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - noggin - 2019-03-10

(2019-03-10, 16:29)mataus19 Wrote: Hi,

From what I have researched it is not possible to stream Dolby Vision because it is dual layer and you are unable to package this in a MKV container...Is this correct?

If this is the case does HDR10+ follow the same format?

I have read the Apple TV 4k can play Dolby Vision. Is this only from Apps like Netflix etc, not from files stored locally on a NAS?

Thanks!

The ATV4K and similar streamers only play single-stream DV content (as used by OTT providers like Netflix and Amazon), not dual-stream DV (as used by UHD Blu-rays etc. - which have an HDR10 core with a DV secondary stream)

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - jaoued - 2019-03-10

do you think the last improvement into the linux kernel here can make HDR available on Ryzen iGPU like 2400G ?

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - FoxForceFive - 2019-04-08

I'm looking forward to seeing what the odroid n2 does, for this category,  I have high hopes for it's performance based on the spec.

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - ivo123 - 2019-04-19

is there some player that does HDR10+ Huh

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - guandms - 2019-04-26

OK, so after going over the details of the recommendation on the first page, I think my demands are a little bit different.
I want LibreELEC OS (not OSMC OS - because they are very slow in version release), 4k HDR 60FPS with HEVC 10-bit playback support.
Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, and I will run clearart heavy skin so I need smooth experience, what box should I get?

Usually, NUC was the best option but because of bad HDR support, it is out of the table...

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - Sam.Nazarko - 2019-04-26

(2019-04-26, 17:52)guandms Wrote: OK, so after going over the details of the recommendation on the first page, I think my demands are a little bit different.
I want LibreELEC OS (not OSMC OS - because they are very slow in version release), 4k HDR 60FPS with HEVC 10-bit playback support.
Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, and I will run clearart heavy skin so I need smooth experience, what box should I get?

Usually, NUC was the best option but because of bad HDR support, it is out of the table...

We took a little while to get Kodi v18 out of the door; but we have now moved back to releasing monthly updates (12 a year).

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - Sholander - 2019-04-26

(2019-04-26, 17:52)guandms Wrote: OK, so after going over the details of the recommendation on the first page, I think my demands are a little bit different.
I want LibreELEC OS (not OSMC OS - because they are very slow in version release)
LibreElec is finished for Amlogic untill main line kernel is ready, and that could be a long wait
https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/3458

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - wrxtasy - 2019-04-27

Difficult to say - likely the only option is a NVIDIA Shield due to it fast GPU, and then deal with Android updates and not a lot of Android Kodi support.
Auto colorspace switching and such settings are still Beta on that device and buried deep in Android developer options.
Users still appear to be having difficulties with getting this switching working reliably.

The AML S9xx devices (CoreELEC / OSMC) have easy either auto or minor set and forget colorspace switching settings, but lack outputting Correct - MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata with their v3.14 Linux Kernel.
The S912 chipset is the fastest in that group for demanding Skins.

The new ODROID N2 running CoreELEC Kodi is looking promising with a pretty decent GPU for heavy skins and I believe outputs Correct - MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata with it's newer v4.9 Linux Kernel, but it is not what I call stable yet for 4K HDR. It's also missing multichannel LPCM audio output.

The ultra smoothest Kodi Skin performance is going to be a NUC.
As I said difficult to choose. Nearly every device has either frustrations or features not quite working properly.

Forget about LibreELEC and HDR for Kodi Leia - comes back in about 8-12 months to see what progress has been made for v19 Kodi M and HDR.

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - dm12 - 2019-04-29

There is something I don't understand about the HDR10 support I think. Don't you need HDMI 2.1 for dynamic HDR (HDR10) ? The (for example) Xiaomi box only has 2.0a.

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - noggin - 2019-04-30

(2019-04-29, 19:50)dm12 Wrote: There is something I don't understand about the HDR10 support I think. Don't you need HDMI 2.1 for dynamic HDR (HDR10) ? The (for example) Xiaomi box only has 2.0a.

It's possible that HDR10+ metadata support can be added to HDMI 2.0a devices if there isn't a specific hardware limitation that means you can't output HDR10+ dynamic metadata?  (Isn't Low Latency DV using something similar rather than tunnelling their dynamic metadata?) 

HLG was added to HDMI 2.0b formally, but a number of TVs that could support it had HDMI 2.0a interfaces and got HLG support added ISTR?

Some HDMI spec limitations are very hardware based - like support for higher frame rates, higher resolutions and bit depths etc. - whilst others are just additions to existing signalling specs that don't demand new hardware functionality.

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - Rubytux - 2019-05-13

(2019-04-27, 02:35)wrxtasy Wrote: Forget about LibreELEC and HDR for Kodi Leia - comes back in about 8-12 months to see what progress has been made for v19 Kodi M and HDR.

Hi, sorry my English but does it means that i wont be able to play HDR content in my Khadas Vim 1 (S905x) with Kodi Leia?

Would i be able to play at least UHD content?

I just bought one thinking it would work for 4K/UHD HDR content now that it is officially supported by Kodi

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - noggin - 2019-05-13

(2019-05-13, 09:22)Rubytux Wrote:
(2019-04-27, 02:35)wrxtasy Wrote: Forget about LibreELEC and HDR for Kodi Leia - comes back in about 8-12 months to see what progress has been made for v19 Kodi M and HDR.

Hi, sorry my English but does it means that i wont be able to play HDR content in my Khadas Vim 1 (S905x) with Kodi Leia?

Would i be able to play at least UHD content?

I just bought one thinking it would work for 4K/UHD HDR content now that it is officially supported by Kodi 

I think wrxtasy is saying forget about LibreElec, not forget about Kodi.  CoreElec is currently the way to go for AMLogic stuff AIUI.

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - treboR2Robert - 2019-06-07

(2019-04-27, 02:35)wrxtasy Wrote: The AML S9xx devices (CoreELEC / OSMC) have easy either auto or minor set and forget colorspace switching settings, but lack outputting Correct - MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata with their v3.14 Linux Kernel.

The new ODROID N2 running CoreELEC Kodi is looking promising with a pretty decent GPU for heavy skins and I believe outputs Correct - MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata with it's newer v4.9 Linux Kernel, but it is not what I call stable yet for 4K HDR. It's also missing multichannel LPCM audio output.

What is wrong with Max CLL / FLL hdr metadata on an s912 running the latest CoreELEC ?

I was under the impression that all problems regarding this had been fixed ?

What difference would I see on an odroid n2 ?

RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - noggin - 2019-06-07

(2019-06-07, 13:48)treboR2Robert Wrote:
(2019-04-27, 02:35)wrxtasy Wrote: The AML S9xx devices (CoreELEC / OSMC) have easy either auto or minor set and forget colorspace switching settings, but lack outputting Correct - MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata with their v3.14 Linux Kernel.

What is wrong with Max CLL / FLL hdr metadata on an s912 running the latest CoreELEC ?

I was under the impression that all problems regarding this had been fixed ?

What difference would I see on an odroid n2 ? 

My understanding is that Max CLL / FLL is still not passed through correctly with S912 - I'll check on my U9-H running CoreElec tonight.