Kodi Community Forum
Customizing after PPA install - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Customizing after PPA install (/showthread.php?tid=33382)

Pages: 1 2

Customizing after PPA install - pantherman007 - 2008-05-19

I fully expect this problem is due to my lack of Linux knowledge, so please bear with me...

I've been successfully building XBMC out of the SVN for several months now and am comfortable with that process. All of those results were in my user directory which I had full access to from the desktop to modify things as needed. Yesterday I used the PPA for the first time and that worked just fine. Until I tried to paste in an existing sources.xml file with all of my config details. The XBMC folder in usr/share/whatever is owned by root and the desktop wouldn't let me paste into it.

I assume that I can terminal/sudo in order to copy things into the PPA-created location. If that's the case, I can look up the commands and keep going. But is this what I should be doing here, or am I missing something obvious? I'm expecting to do this for both sources.xml and any non-SVN skins like Aeon.

Thanks -

Blake

- topfs2 - 2008-05-19

The settings on the PPA is in your home folder.
So it should go in
$HOME/.xbmc/userdata/

Note that .xbmc is a hidden folder in linux (any file/folder begining with a "." is hidden in linux) so you'll need to show hidden files in nautilus (or xbmc if you use it to copy)

- pantherman007 - 2008-05-19

Thanks. I'll take another shot at it tonight.

- BLKMGK - 2008-05-20

I've got another question since using the PPA has been broached... I too am VERY comfortable with the SVN right now. I saw the PPA announcement and was honestly puzzled - what exactly does the PPA "do" for meHuh? Should I be switching to that? I ASSume it doesn't update like SVN, yes? It appeared to allow others to develop things for it but honestly I'm ignorant enough about Linux I just wasn't sure what the advantage was. Can someone sort of spell it out in small words? Big Grin I did look at some of the linked pages for it but didn't try to do anything with it. I currently have 7.x Ubuntu on my box and both the package version of XBMC and the SVN installed and running WELL.

Thanks!:o

- topfs2 - 2008-05-20

It's easy is the main one. Noone needs to check the README for dependencies, it's automatic. It works with aptitude in ubuntu so you get the benifits with that..

Basicly svn will probably be updated more often, although the ustable here is set to be built once a day (if it's nothing wrong with that specific compile).

- pantherman007 - 2008-05-20

The hidden files comment made the difference - once the .xbmc folder appeared I was good to go. Thanks again.

- BLKMGK - 2008-05-20

Okay, makes some sense. Does this mean that the previous package system won't be used moving forward?

- Gamester17 - 2008-05-20

BLKMGK Wrote:Does this mean that the previous package system won't be used moving forward?
Which previous package system? PPA on Launchpad.net is the first and only pre-package system we got so far.

...if you are talking about SVN then understand that is not a package system, so it will contuinue on as always, no change there.

PPA is for user-friendliness and we will always know exacly what the end-user got when they use a specific PPA, PPA will also enable more people to try out XBMC in a simpler way. The SVN is really only for developement and debugging purposes (and for advanced/expert users who do not really need any suppport from anyone, people who are instead more likely to help others), so only if you like to say on the bleeding-edge and have the latest and greatest then the updated SVN revisions is what you will continue to use.

- BLKMGK - 2008-05-22

Okay, I had misunderstood the PPA announcement as something new having come out - I had previously setup the packaged version for testing and got the impression that PPA was somehow different. Relieved that it's the same because that means I don't have to do anything to "upgrade" on that version.

I do run the SVN and update pretty often, I also TRY to help others Tongue I'm comfortable with SVN but will try to have the packaged version running as for backup and to become familiar with it.

Appreciate the explanation!

- rodalpho - 2008-05-22

Hopefully, all of us enthusiasts are trying out each new PPA version for a week or two for testing. That way we can move towards feature-completion and eventual beta and then release of 2.1 final.

- herg - 2008-05-23

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm having several path issues using the current gutsy-svn PPA.

It's using /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/sources.xml, so it cannot create it due to permissions.
It can't create /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails or /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Database.
I created symlinks to ~/.xbmc to get around these.

I use custom Lircmap.xml and Keymap.xml files, and updates overwrite them.
I put my custom files in ~/.xbmc and replaced the installed ones with symlinks, but I have to recreate the links after each update.

It also seems like I have to explicitly define XBMC_HOME for projectM to find its presets.

Here's the script I use after I update using the PPA. I still haven't had time to iron out all the wrinkles in my setup, so this is still a work in progress.
Code:
sudo ln -s /home/herg/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/sources.xml
sudo ln -s /home/herg/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/ /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails
sudo ln -s /home/herg/.xbmc/userdata/Database/ /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Database
sudo rm /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
sudo ln -s /home/herg/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
sudo rm /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Keymap.xml
sudo ln -s /home/herg/.xbmc/userdata/Keymap.xml /usr/share/xbmc/userdata/Keymap.xml
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM/
sudo ln -s /home/herg/.xbmc/visualisations/projectM/ /usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/projectM

- wattazoum - 2008-05-23

How are you running xbmc . I believe you're trying to run xbmc.bin . If you run it you're not using the platform feature .

So try to launch /usr/bin/xbmc

Code:
#!/bin/sh

export XBMC_PLATFORM_MODE=1
exec /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin -q $*

- herg - 2008-05-23

Typically, I am using /usr/bin/xbmc via another script, but running it directly still shows the same behavior.

Here's a partial log. I cut it off after it tries to load sources.xml.
http://pastebin.com/m4942ad60

- wattazoum - 2008-05-23

Just checked on my system and I don't have a sources.xml in /usr/share/xbmc/userdata so it wouldn't try to load it .

So try to move your sources.xml to ~/.xbmc/userdata so that there is not sources.xml in /usr/share/xbmc/userdata anymore.

- althekiller - 2008-05-23

XBMC tries to create everything in the install dir first, failing that it tries ~/.xbmc. You can ignore these "errors" as it is the intended function.

sources.xml doesn't exist until you actually add a source, upon which time xbmc will fail to create it in /usr/local/share/xbmc/userdata but succeed in ~/.xbmc/userdata.